Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Audi Q5 - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Congratulations Aurum!! Fantastic review! It looks stunning in that shade of Blue, great choice! Are you considering a swap on the rim design? Maybe you could get them painted black if you find these too boring.

A bit off topic but what kind of price were you offered on the X5?
The blue does look good in person. Not considering a swap on the rim yet, probably pretty expensive.

Was offered a 72 OTR on the X5 DPE if I remember correctly.
Aurum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:59   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your Audi Q5. It truly looks fabulous in this colour. I enjoyed reading the review. I liked the way you mentioned the reasons for avoiding the other vehicles which you test drove while deciding on which car to buy. Great buy and happy motoring!
slackyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Congratulations on your new wheels, and welcome to the VW family. Wish you many happy miles. About the moniker, here is the full list:

This is the kind of deciphering system doing rounds, but I am not sure if it's right. I think it's more to do with P/W ratio and acceleration rather than outright BHP. For example, a 2.0 TDI on a Q3 (177 PS) would be 35TDI, where the same engine with the same output would be 30TDI on a heavier, Q5. This nomenclature is just to identify how fast a car would go and what better to calculate this than the P/W. There was also a discussion around this earlier on TBHP pointing to calculation of a in v=u+at, which was then rounded off to get these values.

And, congrats on the Q5 Aurum. It looks stunning in this colour. For the rims, I would look at probably blacking them out with paint or plastidip. I TDéd this car only a couple of days back and it seemed to be a perfect family crossover/SUV. Apt power, space and comfort. Wishing you many miles ahead.

Last edited by AZ911 : 5th April 2019 at 13:00.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 17:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackyboy View Post
Congratulations on your Audi Q5. It truly looks fabulous in this colour. I enjoyed reading the review. I liked the way you mentioned the reasons for avoiding the other vehicles which you test drove while deciding on which car to buy. Great buy and happy motoring!
Thanks. This was a summary of the journey I went through on my other thread, (thanks to the advice to fellow team-bhpers). https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...i-q5-tfsi.html (BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
This is the kind of deciphering system doing rounds, but I am not sure if it's right. I think it's more to do with P/W ratio and acceleration rather than outright BHP. For example, a 2.0 TDI on a Q3 (177 PS) would be 35TDI, where the same engine with the same output would be 30TDI on a heavier, Q5. This nomenclature is just to identify how fast a car would go and what better to calculate this than the P/W. There was also a discussion around this earlier on TBHP pointing to calculation of a in v=u+at, which was then rounded off to get these values.

And, congrats on the Q5 Aurum. It looks stunning in this colour. For the rims, I would look at probably blacking them out with paint or plastidip. I TDéd this car only a couple of days back and it seemed to be a perfect family crossover/SUV. Apt power, space and comfort. Wishing you many miles ahead.
The 45 TFSI has the same nomenclature on the Q5 and the Q7. Both engines have the same power and torque (and so obviously higher P/W and acceleration in the Q5). So it does seem to be purely based on engine tune than vehicle performance.

Thanks for the tip. My dealer is suggesting the same. My daughter is planning to do some touchups on the Q5 photos this weekend to see if the car will look good in those
Old 7th April 2019, 12:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post

The 45 TFSI has the same nomenclature on the Q5 and the Q7. Both engines have the same power and torque (and so obviously higher P/W and acceleration in the Q5). So it does seem to be purely based on engine tune than vehicle performance.
The 45 TFSI engine on Q7 is the 3.0 333BHP one if I remember correctly. Even the 45 TDI is 3.0 and it's even a tad faster than the Q5 TFSI. So, the engines are totally different and only thing it boils down to is how fast they accelerate.
Old 7th April 2019, 22:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
The 45 TFSI engine on Q7 is the 3.0 333BHP one if I remember correctly. Even the 45 TDI is 3.0 and it's even a tad faster than the Q5 TFSI. So, the engines are totally different and only thing it boils down to is how fast they accelerate.
Its the same 2 litre as the Q5 in India. Here you go: https://www.audi.in/in/web/en/models/q7/q7/engines.html

Meanwhile, in my building, another current-gen Q5 45 TFSI has been added to a TDI that was already there. So its raining Q5s in my building, but I dont see them anywhere else. Thats true of the new X3 as well. I have only seen one current-gen X3 on Mumbai roads which was not a test-car. I saw an X4 the other day, didnt notice if it was a test car or not.
Old 7th April 2019, 22:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Its the same 2 litre as the Q5 in India. Here you go: https://www.audi.in/in/web/en/models/q7/q7/engines.html

Meanwhile, in my building, another current-gen Q5 45 TFSI has been added to a TDI that was already there. So its raining Q5s in my building, but I dont see them anywhere else. Thats true of the new X3 as well. I have only seen one current-gen X3 on Mumbai roads which was not a test-car. I saw an X4 the other day, didnt notice if it was a test car or not.
So, I thought they were using the v=u+at for badging
Now for Q5 (0-100), t= 6.3 seconds, u=0 km/hr and v=100km/hr= 27.78 m/s
So, 27.78 = 0 + a x 6.3
a= 4.41 x 100/9.8 = 45 or 45TFSI
BUT, apparently this isn't how they are doing it.

I realised this by applying the same calculation for Q7 where 0-100 is 6.9. That gave a final result of 41, which is closer to 40 TFSI rather than 45 and it's still badged 45TFSI.

One more BUT, they could probably be rounding off it to next number in badging rather than the one below this. So, it could mean that any calculation over 40 could be rounded off to 45 and so on.

HOWEVER, that is also not a consistent method. For A5 2.0 TDI engine, which does 0-100 in 8 seconds, the calculation comes out to be 35.4, which should ideally be 40 TDI with this logic, AND IT IS. Yet another BUT, same engine in Q3 does 0-100 in 7.9 seconds and calculation for it is also just over 35, but it's downbadged to 35TDI.

So, what I can perceive from this is that they apply such calculation loosely coupled with the market value of car in order to give the perception to the customer that price is indeed buying you speed as well.

Sorry, for the long explanation without a logical conclusion.
AZ911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 12:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
After nearly 2500 kms over 3 months, here are my top likes and dislikes:

Low NVH levels - Practically no engine noise, cant remember when I heard wind noise, if at all. A little road noise does come through and the brake bites during auto hold.
Congrats on the purchase! your review has pushed us to to picking the Q5 petrol variant, We were torn between the GLC300 and the Q5 Petrol. On test drive, we got even more confused as they are equally matched yet very different.

The sales consultant was telling us about the auto hold feature and told us that its better to have on auto hold than moving it back to neutral at longer signal stops, What is your take on the same?
Old 20th May 2019, 09:00   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjax View Post
The sales consultant was telling us about the auto hold feature and told us that its better to have on auto hold than moving it back to neutral at longer signal stops, What is your take on the same?
Wrong. Auto Hold engages the brake just enough to keep the car standing while the transmission is in "Drive", which means it has engaged a gear and working but doesnt have enough power to overpower the brakes yet.

Best to shift to Neutral at long stops.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 10:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Wrong. Auto Hold engages the brake just enough to keep the car standing while the transmission is in "Drive", which means it has engaged a gear and working but doesnt have enough power to overpower the brakes yet.

If I understand correctly, the Q5 comes with the more advanced Auto Hold facility which is also present in the Passat. It is different from the much more common Hill Hold Assist/Control found in the Octavia etc. The SA might be right that in a vehicle with Auto Hold, there is no harm in leaving it in that state.

Refer this article: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...-start-assist/
Old 20th May 2019, 10:53   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification! The SA was supremely confident when he told me this, He went on to tell me that shifting to neutral often at signals would damage the gear box. One other question was the difference between the s-tronic and tiptronic gearbox in Audi, can someone throw some light on the same?
Old 20th May 2019, 11:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification! The SA was supremely confident when he told me this, He went on to tell me that shifting to neutral often at signals would damage the gear box. One other question was the difference between the s-tronic and tiptronic gearbox in Audi, can someone throw some light on the same?
Infact while auto hold is applied you can move the gearstick to N if its a long wait time. I would recommend you keep it in N, the sales guys are not the most educated in this aspect.

S tronic means a DSG box, while tiptronic means a torque converter. Multitronic means CVT, and I think they have thankfully discontinued them pretty much.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 11:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
S tronic means a DSG box, while tiptronic means a torque converter. Multitronic means CVT, and I think they have thankfully discontinued them pretty much.
We test drove the S5 because the showroom didn't have a petrol Q5. The SA was telling that the S5 would be the closest to the TFSI version in terms power delivery but then i realized that the S5 was a tiptronic while the Q5 was a S-tronic.
Old 20th May 2019, 11:42   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We test drove the S5 because the showroom didn't have a petrol Q5. The SA was telling that the S5 would be the closest to the TFSI version in terms power delivery but then i realized that the S5 was a tiptronic while the Q5 was a S-tronic.
The S5 is a level above in terms of power, so please don't believe the Q5 will be that close in terms of how it feels. The only thing common between them is the fact that they run on petrol.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 13:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the purchase! your review has pushed us to to picking the Q5 petrol variant, We were torn between the GLC300 and the Q5 Petrol. On test drive, we got even more confused as they are equally matched yet very different.

Thanks, and congrats to you too! Somehow we didnt see ourselves. Dont know why we didnt feel that way about BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If I understand correctly, the Q5 comes with the more advanced Auto Hold facility which is also present in the Passat. It is different from the much more common Hill Hold Assist/Control found in the Octavia etc. The SA might be right that in a vehicle with Auto Hold, there is no harm in leaving it in that state.

Refer this article: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...-start-assist/
On auto-hold, there is a whole separate thread on DSG which has a conversation on this (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4529003 (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)). My limited research and understanding is that wet-clutch DSGs do not need to shift to "neutral", though others have expressed different views. From what I understand, as long as the brakes are applied (physically or via auto-hold), the system is not really "under strain". I am personally relying liberally on auto-hold, (and the fact that I have a 5 year warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The S5 is a level above in terms of power, so please don't believe the Q5 will be that close in terms of how it feels. The only thing common between them is the fact that they run on petrol.
The S5 and Q5 arent even close in terms of power, so hope that hasnt been the basis for your decision, ninjax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks