Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 22:08   #61
BHPian

Re: Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Thank you! That's the reason I swapped my cluster. Yes, you can use forscan to enable but I'm not sure if S variant cluster supports Navigation as S variant cluster is Mid series and the one I've installed is the ST line cluster which is called as high series cluster in Ford terminology.

Go to IPC module and in that enable Trip navigation and turn by turn directions in mobile.

I'll post a screen grab of the functions to be changed soon
Thanks Jithin. Will check if it works in my MID and update here.
Old 17th March 2021, 23:21   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizSatish View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention. Please enable Navigation/Compass too
Old 19th March 2021, 08:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hey Jithin, I saw your post in the Venue vs Ecosport thread about enabling cornering function for the fog lamps. How is this done? Can you please elaborate?
Quote:
Navigation on the MID looks awesome. Mine is the S variant. Can I use forscan to enable this? Will there be any warranty issues if I use forscan? Thanks in advance.
Hey Tarun and Satish, here's the link(it's at the end of the post)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-facelift.html (DIY: Cruise Control & Cornering Lamps in my Ford EcoSport Facelift)
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Satish, yes navigation works with S variant cluster as well, however you need to have version 3.4 for sync 3 to make navigation directions work.
Old 12th May 2021, 01:13   #65
BHPian

50,000km update

Last month was kinda crazy and intens due to a few health issues I had(I'm all fine now) so I couldn't update the 50,000km milestone over here.

The milestone on Nice Road
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-screenshot_20210418095603__01.jpg

It has been 3 years on April 18 and the Blue baby has crossed 51,000 km. Due to lockdown, the car was driven for 500km(it's been a month since I went near my car).

Had situations been better, another 3-4k kms would have been added to the Odo and car is economically viable to run excluding insurance and tyre replacements compared to a two wheeler.

I've learnt a lot through this car and I'm still learning about it and it's an interesting experience.

Recently I came across that we can check the DTC codes on the MID itself by entering Engineering Test mode

The steps to do that are
1. Press the OK button on the steering for about 10 sec.
2. Then turn on the ignition (don't start the engine though) and keep the OK button pressed for another 10 sec. You will see an ET on the top right corner of the MID.
3. Once you see ET, press the button to the right of the OK button to toggle through various tests and parameters.

These are the ET mode options
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210318_232337.jpg

Driver fatigue system won't work for India as it needs a camera on the windshield
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210317_224509.jpg

To See DTC
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210318_232418.jpg

DTC Status
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210408_232604.jpg

Speedometer related part numbers
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210408_232515.jpg

Battery and compass test
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210408_232625.jpg

Colour test
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210318_232534.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210318_232638.jpg

This is at the end of navigation. Nice checkered flag to know that you've reached the destination
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210320_031200.jpg

The cabin in sleep mode looks way more premium(the dials turn off too)
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210406_162900.jpg

Also Blue baby has been in the news for being the only Diesel ST line cluster and cruise control enabled titanium in India by Team-BHP and Google News, which is a remarkable thing in Blue baby's journey with me!

Google news proof(the 1st post)
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-screenshot_20210411020141.jpg

Here are some math and stats on how fast able baby has crossed this milestone

1000km - 40 days(Kollur, KA)
10000km - 12 months(Chittoor, AP. This happened while on the Bhutan Trip)
20000km - 16 months(Sriperbumbadur, TN)
25000km - 18 months(Malvan,MH)
30000km - 21 months(Some Highway in KA)
40000km - 30 months(Somewhere in Kerala)
50000km - 35 months(NICE road)

Touchwood, the service cost has been at a constant of 5k from 20k service onwards. 10k service is charged only for Oil and consumables
Every 30k kms, the service cost will be 6k due to diesel filter change.

My car had faced rat attacks twice and I ended up coughing up 5k for that.

Cost of running = Rs 4.8/km( taking 18km/l as average mileage, 75 as average diesel price and 0.6 Rs for maintenance including alignment and balancing) which I feel is quite good compared to a present day 2 wheeler. My 7 year old 200NS costs Rs. 3.8/Km assuming 30km/l, around 2-3k for every serivce and 94 Rs fuel price. Even If I factor Rs 86 for diesel cost, the total running cost for my EcoSport is Rs 4.8+0.6 for maintenace = Rs 5.4/km.

Alignment I get it done only at Classic and the cost also been a constant 900 for alignment and balancing

Insurance I paid 18k for the 2nd and 3rd year and for the current year, I've taken it through all at a cost of 14k bumper to bumper.

Cost incurred for 50,000 kms:

Running cost(Maintenance and diesel): ₹ 240,000
Insurance : ₹73,000(From Day 1 to till date)
Tyres: ₹27,500
Toll: ₹10,000
Accessories and Mods: ₹ 20,000
Covered Parking: ₹ 12,000 per year (started from last year onwards)
Misc: Rs.10,000
Loan has been cleared, so No EMI amount added

Total: ₹ 392,500

Fuel economy stats:

Best: 23km/l
Worst: 15km/l

Only gripe is the diesel price has increased from 64 Rs in April 2018 to 86 Rs per litre today

I hope things get better outside and all of us are able to travel like before. Stay home and stay safe!

Wings ready to fly!
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210328_125255_bokeh__01.jpg

Last edited by jithin23 : 12th May 2021 at 01:43. Reason: added content
jithin23 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 04:35   #66
BHPian

Some Updates for Blue Baby

Installing OEM TPMS sensors

As the cruise control mod helps me quite a bit in resting my right foot, I was curious to do something more to my car. So I decided to go ahead and install TPMS in my car so that it can be useful to detect sudden air loss or if the air pressure is low. I had faced a tyre blast incident last December and had I installed TPMS back then, I might have been more alert and could have averted the mishap.

Its a very simple mod albeit the cost of the sensors can help one clear a part of the EMI installment. Since I drive about 20-25k kms in a year and I drive to far off places, I consider the TPMS sensors to be important during such drives. Plus will keep me alert as well when it's time to refill air in the tyres.

I purchased 4 sensors from FASS and the cost of each sensor is 2.5k. Some of you might think that this guy is nuts to spend 2.5k per sensor for each wheel. I'll tell you why I was very particular from getting OEM sensors only(apart from having a clutter free look and warranty) Before placing an order from FASS, I had tried on aliexpress and Aliexpress does not ship to India currently. Moreover the sensors from aliexpress sometimes do not match with the BCM frequency.

The lone supplier for Ford Sensors is Schrader from the UK. They are the pioneers for TPMS in the automobile industry. I tried to import from Schrader as well, but customs duties and international shipping will jack up the price significantly. I did consider Sensairy too but their sensors will not integrate with the car's communication modules. Hence, I opted to buy from FASS. You get the sensors from Boodmo as well. This feature can be enabled on any variant. Titanium+(except 2017-Apr 2018) and lower variants didn't come with TPMS at all

Sensor part number and cost.
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210701_172234.jpg

The sensor weighs 15gms
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210701_171628.jpg

Step 1: The Sensors can be installed at any tyre shop, however, wheel alignment and balancing needs to be done after fitting the sensors to the wheel. Once this is done, the TPMS needs to be enabled in BCM configuration and IPC configuration using Forscan(this step can be performed first too)

Wheel removed to fit the sensor
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210701_174440.jpg

Step 2: The parameters to be enabled using forscan are:
  • Tire Pressure system(BCM and IPC)
  • TPMS Placard(BCM & IPC)
  • TPMS Menu(IPC)
  • TPMS Pressure units- psi(IPC)
  • TPMS Region-Europe(BCM & IPC)
  • TPMS Auto Learn(BCM)
  • TPMS Reassign(BCM)
  • TPMS Hard Reset Button(IPC)

Step 3: Now, after these things are enabled, we can enter TPMS training mode by using the run tests tab in Forscan(use this if you have the TPMS learning tool) or we can go to FASS and activate the installed sensors. This will take about 5-10 minutes. FASS uses Atek VT55 TPMS learning tool.

TPMS learning tool is available easily in Europe/USA/Aliexpress:

Refernce link:https://www.amazon.com/JDIAG-Program.../dp/B07ZKJ4TS1

For availability in India, here it is:https://www.ubuy.co.in/catalog/produ...SABEgJ0cvD_BwE

The TPMS learning mode gets activated by a single honk from the car and the activation is done clockwise from the Front Left Tyre, Front Right Tyre, Rear Right Tyre and Rear Left Tyre. Each time the value is stored, the car will honk once and will be displayed in the instrument cluster. It takes of 15-30 seconds for each sensor to be programmed. Sometimes, once the ignition cycle changes, the values will be blank. This got me worried. Then I had asked the serivce manager to go for a road test and Voila! TPMS works!

TPMS values enabled partially:
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210702_153933.jpg

All we had to do after the training mode was to drive for 3-5kms above the speed of 30km/h. Only then the sensors will give us real time air pressure from the tyres.

There was a twist in my story though. When I had gone to FASS first in the morning , I thought that FASS will enable it from the BCM and then it'll work. On digging deeper into their tool functions I figured out that I had to enable TPMS in the BCM as well and FASS does not have the authority or enable or disable features. They can only diagnose and fix errors or activate the TPMS sensors. I went back in the evening and repeated step 3.

TPMS in action
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210703_013559.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210702_171043.jpg

This pic is one of the main reasons why I wanted to use OEM TPMS, so that it can be viewed on sync 3 screen as well(this is a WIP for me because I'll need to do some technical modification to the Sync 3 board).
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210616_024710_482.jpg

This Video is relevant for those who wish to replace TPMS sensors without using Forscan

DIY Hardwiring of Dashcam:

This is yet another simple mod provided if we know the right fuse slot. Just route the wire to the Shotgun's side footwell and remove the two black screws which are visible. This way, we can access the fusebox without touching the glovebox.

I used this for hardwiring my 70mai Dashcam
https://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-Mini...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Note: Use only a micro fuse tap because other fuse tap sizes will not fit in the fusebox slot.

Pull the Rubber part on the body frame for the wire to pass, the plastic trim can be gently pulled using hands. The trim needs to be removed so that the wire can pass through easily. Then route the wire through the exposed cover and connect the fuse tap to Fuse# 6. Use a nose plier to remove the existing fuse from the fuse box

Wiring routing bottom
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img20210629wa0020.jpg

Wiring routing from top(inside the car)Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210623_161152__01.jpg

Wiring from the side
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img20210702wa0020__01.jpg

Fusebox after removing the footwell cover(use only the yellow colored box marked for Dash cam fuse tap)
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img20210629wa0016.jpg

Fuse Tap
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img20210629wa0024.jpeg

A scary moment for me was when I had used the fuse tap in the wrong fuse slot and the dashcam was on. Then Naveen came to the rescue by calling me up and telling me to switch the fuse tap to fuse# 6 so that the dashcam will turn off when the ignition turns off. Plus I had used a different tap which was not slotting at all. Then I tried with the micro fuse tap and it worke The ground is not fixed properly and vehicle loses communication with the BCM while I'm trying to start the engine. Then, I had changed the position of the ground and everything was working as usual.

Fuse tap attached(using Naveen's pic for reference)
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img20200819wa0059.jpg

Now, the dashcam can be used for Parking Surveilance too.

GPS tracker:

I have explained about the GPS tracker in this post:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-ecosport.html (Onelap Go - A GPS Tracker for my Ford EcoSport)

I made sure to install this tracker because my scooter got stolen in front of my house 3 months ago and I feel this is a better way to track the car and it's better to spend 5k rather than lose 12L. Once a vehicle gets stolen, there's little chance of recovery and the way our insurance and legal departments work, God alone knows when we'll get the claim amount.

The Car Dustbin was a bonus fits snug into the cupholder
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210701_170830.jpg

Part number for the car dustbin
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210701_170944.jpg

Total Wallet Burn:
TPMS sensors: 2.5k X 4 = 10,000
Alignment and balancing+ sensor fitting= 1,000
Car Dustbin= 150
FASS charges for programming the sensor= 250
GPS Tracker= 4.7k

Total: Rs.16,110 ( TPMS: 11,250 ; GPS Tracker: 4,700)

Another incident was my windshield got cracked due to a tree fall and I had claimed Insurance from Acko. They were very prompt and swift in settling the amount as they had settled it in 1 hour after I accepted the claim offer. This happened as soon as I reported the incident to them first. Everything was done through the mobile app itself and the surveyor assessed the damage just through the pics sent from the app. He just called over phone and settled everything quickly.

Parallelly I had applied for replacement Fastag from HDFC online portal itself because I had some amount left in the previous fastag. This to was smooth as I had to pay just 100 bucks for the replacement tag online and it got delivered to my house in 3 days.

The Damaged Windshield
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210619_114100.jpg

Windshield replaced from FASS
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img_20210623_161152.jpg

Overall, a fun filled June for Blue baby and I think my next pipeline mod will be to get global windows working.

Last edited by jithin23 : 3rd July 2021 at 05:03. Reason: Attaching pic
jithin23 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:53   #67

Hey jithin23,
I am planning to buy an used 2014 Ecosport and your DIY guides and ideas are just mind boggling because I did not even know all the things which one can do. Really appreciate the efforts you are taking. Keep up!
Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2021, 12:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillaft View Post
Hey jithin23,
I am planning to buy an used 2014 Ecosport and your DIY guides and ideas are just mind boggling because I did not even know all the things which one can do. Really appreciate the efforts you are taking. Keep up!
Thanks.
Hey Skillaft, most of the mods are possible for the old EcoSport too. However please check for any engine change for 2014 batch as there were engine seizures and Ford had replaced most of the engines. However I'd suggest to got for 2018 models as these are more relevant and can be used for a longer time. Thanks for the compliment though!

I forgot to add the screengrab of the TPMS values to be enabled in the BCM using Forscan. Even the IPC parameters are almost identical to this pic
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-img20210702wa0014.jpg
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 10:25   #69
BHPian

Quote:

Installing OEM TPMS sensors
Noob question. Does this TPMS sensor that goes inside the tyre have inbuilt battery or some kind (generally piezo based) regenerative system that powers electronics inside?
Old 4th July 2021, 12:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Noob question. Does this TPMS sensor that goes inside the tyre have inbuilt battery or some kind (generally piezo based) regenerative system that powers electronics inside?
Yes, the TPMS sensors have an in-built battery. In case the battery goes off, the while sensor has to be replaced.

Schrader website link:https://www.schradertpms.com/en/comp...pms-components

Excrepts from Schrader website

Most of the OEM's use the black sensor type including Fords
Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-screenshot_20210704102913__01.jpg

Blue Baby comes home - Ford EcoSport Facelift Titanium TDCi-screenshot_20210704102926__01.jpg

Last edited by jithin23 : 4th July 2021 at 12:27. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 19:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the TPMS sensors have an in-built battery. In case the battery goes off, the while sensor has to be replaced.
Thanks for the info. How long does this battery last?

IMO, battery inside the sensor is a drawback as it consumes power even if vehicle is stationary unless it is smart to go to sleep at idle.
Old 4th July 2021, 19:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Thanks for the info. How long does this battery last?

IMO, battery inside the sensor is a drawback as it consumes power even if vehicle is stationary unless it is smart to go to sleep at idle.
This is where OEM sensors have an edge. Usually TPMS battery lasts between 3-5 yrs
Old 6th July 2021, 21:13   #73

Thanks a lot jithin23 for this post, I will surely try enabling TPMS in my Ecosport Titanium+ (2019) as per your instructions. I have taken an extended warranty (2+3 years) and FASS confirmed that the warranty of the TPMS will be applicable for 5 years.
sdeepak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 12:49   #74
BHPian

Thanks!! It was very useful. But is FASS selling TPMS and other accessories separately, I once wanted to have original Rear view camera for 2018 titanium.But they told they won't sell accessories which are not part of the vehicle, they sell parts based on VIN number like they sell only replacement parts and no new accessories.
Piston_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeepak29 View Post
Thanks a lot jithin23 for this post, I will surely try enabling TPMS in my Ecosport Titanium+ (2019) as per your instructions. I have taken an extended warranty (2+3 years) and FASS confirmed that the warranty of the TPMS will be applicable for 5 years.
That's awesome Deepak! 5 years warranty is good for TPMS given the high initial cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston_head View Post
Thanks!! It was very useful. But is FASS selling TPMS and other accessories separately, I once wanted to have original Rear view camera for 2018 titanium.But they told they won't sell accessories which are not part of the vehicle, they sell parts based on VIN number like they sell only replacement parts and no new accessories.
You're right they do sell as per VIN, but TPMS sensors can be bought from Boodmo. However, you will need to enable TPMS features using forscan. If you have rapport with FASS, they will help you in activating only the sensors and they can procure the sensors as TPMS is a common part.

For the rear camera, it can installed aftermarket and I've posted about it in one of the previous pages in the same thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th July 2021 at 18:59. Reason: As requested

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks