Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 17:39   #31
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

What a great review. Comprehensively covered the positives and the negatives.
Great to know that the interiors are well built and feel durable.

I like the way the Creta looks and I actually like the back of the Creta. Looks very modern and different. I also liked the back of the MG Hector which many people here found not so attractive.

Yes the AC unit is an eyesore, it needed a bigger screen and smaller buttons and maybe glossy finish like the previous Creta. Currenty it looks like a manual AC unit. I believe it is because of the laziness of the Hyundai India designers that we get such a unit as that is one of the changes between the Chinese and the Indian version. Another lazy design is the alloy design as that is another difference from the Chinese version. Why did Hyundai India not give the alloys same as the Chinese version?
Because they had already given that design for the Venue.

This review gives great comfort as a prospective owner of the Creta. Also GTO had given a short feedback on the 1.4 engine and recently the high speed stability of the Creta in the City thread. Hope I get delivery of my 1.4 Creta soon. Delivery is already delayed by 10-15 days due to limited production as per the dealer.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 17:40   #32
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Congratulations on a brand new entry in your ownership list :-)
Just wanted to know the reason for not considering DCT version. I guess there is one 1.4L version as well which would have been altogether different experience. Also I think that would have given choice of dual tone colours and diamond cut alloy wheels.
prajakt_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 18:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much, team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
earlier most of the reviewers mentioned that, Seltos iVT was the most value for money pick in the Seltos Range.

Now your review affirms that Creta iVT going to be a sure winner with added convenience of paddle shifters and that beautiful Panoramic sunroof.
Don't forget full safety features too, including Stability Control & VSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
For pure city driving I feel CVT is more suitable, because DCT might get heated up in traffic snarls, which it is already infamous for.
Any auto transmission when idling on D with the brakes on is bound to get heated. I am sure that DCT owners won't have the overheating issue if they shifted to N on coming to a halt and then keeping the brakes pressed. For a dry clutch system, this gets tougher.

But yes, the ease of the CVT in city traffic is just exemplary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Congrats for your new car. Strange that it has an "Auto" badge. The Kia Seltos 1.5 petrol IVT comes with an "IVT" badge, while the 1.5 diesel auto comes with "Auto".
That too placed on the right driver's side panel, where it's bound to be overlooked. A better spot would have been under the "SX" badge at the rear right.

Quote:
Also weird that the spare tire is 10 mm thinner than the other four tires, and of a different brand. Hyundai could have easily provided all 5 tires of the same brand and size. I doubt that 10 mm results in significant space saving in the boot.
During preparations for mass production, some hotshot MBA sitting behind the Hyundai bean counting tables decided this. And most of those species never look at the practicality of such moves. (another infamous example I quote often is Tata removing parcel tray strings from the earlier-gen Tiago!)

Quote:
I thought the TPMS was standard on the new Creta, which was great. Then I heard that in the lower variants it is just a warning for when the tire pressure is low. Is that how it is with the SX?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Yes, only the SX(O) gets high line TPMS in which each tyre's pressure is shown individually.
Yes, what sv97 said. The lowline TPMS on the SX comes with a warning symbol in the instrument cluster. You need to check each tyre's air pressure individually when this happens.

This is why I listed the highline TPMS as a "must have" in my opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
Just wanted to ask how much was the price difference between the 1.5L Petrol IVT and the 1.4L Petrol DCT.
The SX IVT is 14.94L, while the SX DCT is 16.16L. Add RTO + Insurance differences and it would come to ~1.40 lakhs OTR between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
i) The Creta has evolved from being another 'raised' hatch.
Part of the reason is that the new-gen Creta (the modified ix25) has been moved to a modified version of the K2 (Elantra) platform.

Quote:
ii) I saw a couple of Cretas on the road in Pune recently, especially a black or jungle dark green one I think. With the C-R-E-T-A logo, it looked every bit like a Mini Cooper CountryMan or something in that category.
I am told that the Forest Green shade looks absolutely fab on the new Creta's contours. Haven't got a chance to see it in person yet (seen plenty of pics though).

Quote:
iii) From the various pictures and videos, it appears that the Creta sits a bit higher off the ground than the Seltos at least in the front. So the approach angle might be a bit better.
Oh yes. I recently checked out a Seltos near my office and the Creta definitely is the taller of the two. The impression is created from the aggressive and bold front stance of the Hyundai. Exterior design-wise, the Seltos is at least two miles ahead of the Creta but for the pure imposing factor and road presence, the Creta has it beat hands down.

Who said quirky looks didn't win battles?!

Quote:
Question: How is the engine/transmission response with a load of 4 adults during those typical 40-100 kph overtakes ?
Haven't got a chance to test that yet.

With 2 people on board, the Creta doesn't even break a single sweat drop. Overtaking inside the city at 35-55 kmph speeds is a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Creta SX IVT is a solid car loaded to the gills with features. As someone who's in the market for a car in this price range, I was really really tempted by the panoramic sunroof, electronic parking brake and auto hold. These are premium features which even some D segment sedans lack.

The one omission I just couldn't look over is lack of side and curtain airbags, in a body type prone to roll-overs. While driving in the mad traffic of Delhi where red light jumpers are, pretty frequent side-on collisions can never be ruled out. I wish Hyundai had deleted one or two of the gizmos for offering two more airbags.
That's what they have the SX(O) for, I guess.

The SX comes with Stability Control and Vehicle Stability Management so rolling over shouldn't be a problem. It sits a wee bit lower than the older gen with all 4 tyres placed perfectly for maintaining that exact balance and keeping the center of gravity in range. I don't think the SX will be prone to rolling over, unless it is very rashly driven.

But yes, I would have loved to have at least 4 airbags at my disposal in the SX. A sure-shot miss by Hyundai, given the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am considering a Hyundai creta myself by the end of this year or early next year. So, will keenly follow your ownership experience.
I hope I have enough updates for you by then for you to make an uniformed decision, Harry my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
New car almost every year! Justifications aside, I guess you are addicted to the "new car smell"
I can't tell you the number of deja vus I keep going through every time a new car delivery happens.

"Here we are. All over again!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
I just love that Audi type gearlever. Its a perfect car for elderly people who drive themselves, especially the cvt variant for its smoothness and reliability. And that Panoroof will make the cabin so much more airy which again is an important point for elder people.
Hey! I am only 43!
Still some time before I enter the "elderly" category.

Quote:
Only thing that concerns me for not going for DCT variant is overtaking on highways with this CVT. I have driven baleno cvt and i20 cvt. I found baleno cvt 'okay' for highway driving in terms of acceleration while i20 was very lethargic and very risky for highway overtakes.
The Baleno 1.2 and the i20 1.2 are both laid-back, slow off the boil cars in their manual iterations. The CVT mated to those weak bottom-end cars will definitely suffer performance issues.

No such problem with the 1.5L MPi. Although I am yet to take Phoenix on a highway jaunt, overtaking inside the city has been a breeze so far (up to 60 kmph speeds).

Quote:
Whenever you get chance to take it on the highway, do post the overtaking experience. That will be really helpful for me as well as a lot of other people.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
IVT is the best variant to go for, among Cretas. None of the jerkiness, heating and reliability issues you may happen to have with DCT. Plus, you get to save a few lakhs over DCT. If you had waited one more month, Duster CVT with 1.3 turbo would be here. I know Duster is dated but nothing beats its ride quality. Duster is the most lower-back/spine-friendly car out there. And, the upcoming turbo 1.3 beats even Creta/Seltos DCTs on power numbers. And, being oldest of the lot, I'm sure Renault would price it low.
Not too fond of the Duster and it's interiors, although I admit that the ride quality of the Duster and the Hexa is several notches above all other offerings in the sub-20 lakh segment.

Plus, we only have a sub-dealership of Renault here, which is empty most of the time. No after sales service station. They can run away any time.

Quote:
Coming to Creta, do share IVT performance as you go along. Hope Hyundai has sorted out brake/steering issues.
Will do.

I really, really hope they have sorted it out. I am done getting frustrated and changing cars repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
I strongly recommend you to get a set of better looking rims which will dramatically improve the appearance of your Bold Korean horse.
The dual paint work is definitely a To-Do. Hopefully after the current lockdowns are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
I agree with your comments about the grilles, but it seems to be a fad which is getting worse.
Tell me about it.

First it was the Venue, then they loaded the Verna to make it look like a salmon with braces, and now it's the Creta with even more braces!

Seems like someone at Hyundai had a really bad childhood involving his/her teeth and frequent trips to the dentist.

Quote:
What was really shocking was the lever for the fuel filler lid. That left a bad taste.
A feature which has become outdated and suits a 5/6 lakh rupee car more than a 17-lakh one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
I like the way the Creta looks and I actually like the back of the Creta. Looks very modern and different. I also liked the back of the MG Hector which many people here found not so attractive.
You are the first from whom I have heard this!

The tail light sections look absolutely fabulous at night when they are lit up, I admit. But during the day, the whole rear seems atrocious and too busy. Add to it the bloated looks, the very oddly-placed HMSL, the outlandish C-R-E-T-A badging, and the trapezoidal tail lamp sections. Ergh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
This review gives great comfort as a prospective owner of the Creta. Also GTO had given a short feedback on the 1.4 engine and recently the high speed stability of the Creta in the City thread. Hope I get delivery of my 1.4 Creta soon. Delivery is already delayed by 10-15 days due to limited production as per the dealer.
I hope you get your 1.4 DCT soon. Production is not limited, but tapered off in July because of a possible price hike to the tune of 50,000-60,000 rupees across all variants from August-onwards. I think you might get your car only after the revised prices are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Just wanted to know the reason for not considering DCT version. I guess there is one 1.4L version as well which would have been altogether different experience. Also I think that would have given choice of dual tone colours and diamond cut alloy wheels.
The 1.4L Turbo is a long-distance performer. You won't do justice to the 1.4 if you keep it locked in your garage for the majority of the time, or do just regular in-city runs of 10-odd kms daily with speeds under 40 kmph every day.

Now, we are under lockdown again which has been stretched till 6th August.

Our current usage didn't warrant it. And, I don't see the situation improving for at least a year (maybe more) for us to hit the highways for frequent long journeys, except for maybe medical emergencies.

Plus, the price difference.

Also, I will be in the market for a big 7/8 seater possibly by next year. Let's evaluate evaluate turbo petrols or diesels then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
A question - If Kia were to be present in your area, would you go for a Seltos in the same spec?
It would have been a strong contender, yes. Like I said in my earlier reply, it would have been good to have an equally strong option to compare or fall back on. My mother & wife were completely sold on the looks of the Seltos.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th July 2020 at 19:04. Reason: Quoted post edited.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 18:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

First of all, Congratulations on the car, RavenAvi.
What a detailed & well-thoughtout review you have written here. Would love to match that level.
Loved reading every moment of reading about 'Phoenix'. What you said about the Creta's new looks growing on you with time is spot-on, exactly what happened with me! Hoping to see many more updates on Phoenix as she munches more miles.

Question: 1) If Kia were to be present in your area, would you go for a Seltos in the same spec?
2) How pronounced is the rubber band effect of the CVT?

Last edited by akash_v12 : 28th July 2020 at 18:53.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 18:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hey! I am only 43!
Still some time before I enter the "elderly" category.

Sorry. I could not be clear in my message.

Actually by elderly I meant about my father. I am looking to buy one for him, not immediately but may be in near future. So i told in that aspect .

Mod Note - Quote reply added for Raven.

We strongly advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th July 2020 at 19:08. Reason: Mod note attached.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:06   #36
BHPian

Saw a top-end black Creta today, and it looks AMAZING.Congratulations, you've bought a very good car sir.
evoker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:16   #37

Congratulations, Sir for your new purchase. I have one query that will help me in my purchase decision. What is the width of your garage and do you have easy of ingress/egress from the driver side considering the view of your garage that you posted here.
sarkar.malay78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:14   #38
BHPian

I would also suggest you either get that lightning silver arc as Hyundai likes to call it painted in the body colour or wrap it black. Would make the looks striking which the lightning arc fails to do.

Last edited by sv97 : 28th July 2020 at 20:17.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 22:56   #39

Congratulations on your new acquisition Raven sir.
Great thread and attention to details.
I have actually been waiting for a thread on the 1.5 Petrol for so long on T-Bhp.
I have booked a 1.5 Petrol MT Creta Red Mulberry yesterday, and today finding out your review is a relief to my worries regarding how smooth the engine is and how refined it is. Due to the pandemic, there is a huge demand for Creta and i couldn't find a test drive vehicle in 3 cities close by. Also can you please mention if there are any particular things i need to be aware of before i take delivery and need to be knowledgefull off.
Nani700 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 23:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I hope you get your 1.4 DCT soon. Production is not limited, but tapered off in July because of a possible price hike to the tune of 50,000-60,000 rupees across all variants from August-onwards. I think you might get your car only after the revised prices are out.
The turbo variants sales are already negligible so they shouldn't be doing that.

If they are thinking of doing that then Hyundai is seriously shooting themselves in the foot since the higher variants priced at par with Seltos lose out on a few equipment already and if they increase the prices then the Seltos will become a no-brainer.

Last edited by sv97 : 28th July 2020 at 23:44.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 23:42   #41
BHPian

What a review!! Just like the one of the Lazarus. Fine writing there sir! It's always a pleasure to read your ownership reviews.

Reminded me of the review of your Lazarus about 5 years back, which was just in-time during the time of purchase of my Creta; turning 5 in next two months.

- About the issue with the USB drives, it really amazes me how after 5 long years, Hyundai is still unable to manage the compatibility issues of the various USB drives. I remember this issue also being reported in the 1st-gen Creta's for a few brand of USB's. I had to switch from Transcend's to Sandisk.

Anyways, wishing you many blissful miles in your Pheonix.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 02:40   #42
BHPian

There are some ownership reviews which have a distinct flavor that can influence the audience by a distance. This is one such loving review of the car Raven--for a moment, I was thinking of Creta as the next one.
Not only the highlights of the product are shared but the underlying context of how those features manifest on road just enriches the overall vibe of the review.
As much as I want to wish congrats to you on the brand new steed, I am craving for more anecdotes on highway performance. Keep them coming.
I sincerely wish that while you continue to enthrall us with more new acquisitions, this car gives you what you deserve- an excellent and satisfying experience.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 08:54   #43
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review. Feeling great to own the same car as you. I can’t be such a detailed reviewer ever i.e. lack of patience. Congratulations on the car and wishing you millions of miles of trouble-free driving. No doubt the car is very practical with loads of features.
Cheers.
Teqhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:02   #44
sgm
BHPian

Congrats RavenAvi on your new set of wheels.
May Pheonix take yo places and give you lots of joyful miles.
6 cars in 8 years would have been tough and may your Pheonix make up for all the trouble that you had with some of the cars you had before.
Creta SX iVT is definitely a wonderful package at this price point and CVT is a bliss in City traffic, it is silky smooth. I have started to like the polarizing looks of Creta, it grows on you
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:29   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much for the kind words and appreciation, team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
2) How pronounced is the rubber band effect of the CVT?
Inside the city, it's non-existent. I haven't been caught with that infamous "pause" even once, and I have overtaken quite a few vehicles doing around 35-40 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
Saw a top-end black Creta today, and it looks AMAZING.
The Black shade is the most popular, from what I see in the groups and on Facebook. It masks the contours well (silver shade accentuates it) and makes the car look menacing from the front.

Will be a real pain to maintain, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkar.malay78 View Post
I have one query that will help me in my purchase decision. What is the width of your garage and do you have easy of ingress/egress from the driver side considering the view of your garage that you posted here.
My garage space's width is around 10 feet, out of which some space is taken by the front step. Rest, see the pics:

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-untitled29.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-untitled30.jpg

Ingress/Egress is easy even with the driver's door not opening fully. Sufficient space. (door opens to ~40 degrees to the perpendicular)

Quote:
I would also suggest you either get that lightning silver arc as Hyundai likes to call it painted in the body colour or wrap it black.
Planning a black wrap after the lockdown ends. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani700 View Post
I have booked a 1.5 Petrol MT Creta Red Mulberry yesterday, and today finding out your review is a relief to my worries regarding how smooth the engine is and how refined it is.
Congratulations! Excellent choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani700 View Post
Also can you please mention if there are any particular things i need to be aware of before i take delivery and need to be knowledgefull off.
Be sure to take our Team-BHP PDI list and do a thorough check of the car from rear bumper to front bumper. Ensure that all electricals and mechanicals are working soundly. A pen drive with some songs will help in testing the functions of the HU. Look closely for nicks or scratches on the body paint. Also ensure that the car is completely sanitised and all the paperwork is done and handed over to you before you roll out of the dealership.

Quote:
If they are thinking of doing that then Hyundai is seriously shooting themselves in the foot since the higher variants priced at par with Seltos lose out on a few equipment already and if they increase the prices then the Seltos will become a no-brainer.
They will jack up the prices of the Seltos too. With such strong demand for both cars, they can afford to do it before the festive season rolls in. Companies usually do this with their bestsellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Reminded me of the review of your Lazarus about 5 years back, which was just in-time during the time of purchase of my Creta; turning 5 in next two months.
Congratulations! I hope the ownership period was uneventful. Retain her for at least 5 more years, if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I remember this issue also being reported in the 1st-gen Creta's for a few brand of USB's. I had to switch from Transcend's to Sandisk.
Both my 32GB USB drives are from Sandisk. The HU becomes temperamental once in a while. Maybe a software update will improve things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I am craving for more anecdotes on highway performance. Keep them coming.
Highway runs will be limited with this machine, except for any emergencies. Due to these testing times (we are under lockdown again till 6th August), all possible journeys and holidays are now on hold.

But, let's hope things turn around soon and we all are back to leading our normal lives again.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th July 2020 at 11:36.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks