Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 11:18   #16
AZT
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Great write up. Hope your back issue resolves soon and Phoenix serves you comfortably for many happy miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
No Kia, Toyota, Jeep or Nissan present here.
Does this mean there was no Kia showroom near you.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th July 2020 at 13:28. Reason: rear = near. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thank You.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 11:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Thank you so much, team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I wish you had gone with the black as it masks all the weird styling.
I didn't have a choice - factory stock was nil and the only 2 options were the White SX petrol IVT and the Red SX diesel TC.

Plus, family hates black. It's the first colour choice which is comprehensively vetoed out when we sit down for the car-buying decisions.

Quote:
So they have accepted the fact that the previous ABS vendor had supplied with a faulty part. So they have silently followed the thread and corrected. To bad they didn't support affected parties like us.
They won't. That would mean admitting that all the gazillions of first-gen Cretas they sold had an inherent critical issue which was never solved or addressed by the company. But yes, a recall could have been initiated. Maybe for specific affected VIN batches.

At least they acknowledged the problem and rectified it in the new-gen. How effective it is, will only be known in the days to come.

Quote:
What's with the wireless charging unit - Is that a hole or am I missing something here?
Ah! That's just a cleaning liquid spot left behind from D-day. I meant to change the pic with a more recent one but got lazy. Did my best with a cotton earbud and the tip of the Jopasu wipe but the liquid's smear refuses to come out, although it's much lighter now than Day 1. Since the charging pad is fixed in it's place, I let it be for now. Maybe it will dry itself out.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20200728_102514.jpg

Thanks for reminding me, Naveen. Will ask a Mod to swap that pic.

Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that the window glass is very thin (old Creta) when compared to the other cars. What do you feel about the new Creta (I know it's something few owners notice but eager to know).
It's still thin! I have mentioned that under NVH observations. Traffic noise filters into the cabin and if it's loud outside, you would be reaching for the switches and wondering if the glasses are open or closed!

Quote:
How about a small comparison between the old and new Creta? Not the feature list, but the drive-ability, comfort, NVH, mileage (I know it's too early) etc?
Will do a detailed comparo once I get to drive an older-gen Creta soon. But I can say this for now - driveability & suspension behaviour has improved, some added weight to the steering at low/crawling speeds, firmer ride quality, improved seat comfort, and top class engine and tyre noise insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It has this side profile that reminds me of Alturas G4 and that's a good thing. Much better road presence than previous models and the vehicle looks even more expensive that it used to be.
Someone at my office who was unaware of her being my car, remarked that a new white Harrier is standing in the parking lot! I got confused for a moment until he continued that it was decked with ribbons on all sides. I smiled at once, realising that he was talking about my car, and replied that it was the Creta and not the Harrier. He looked incredulous for a few moments!

Funny incident. I fail to see any resemblance between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I love that interior! Hyundai has always excelled in quality interior space and I really, really love this one. If it looked like the Seltos from outside and had this interior - this product would have been the ultimate package IMHO.
Interiors are easily top-class in the entire segment, IMO. But yes, if the Creta had even half-decent exteriors similar to the Seltos, it would have been a cracker in purely design terms.

Quote:
Same old key as my Xcent. Hyundai should really get another one.
First thing which I did with the 4-button keyfob was press the Lock and Unlock button together for 5 seconds - to disable the honking when the car is locked/unlocked! Thank god the SX AT gets this one, instead of the default 3-button one for most of the Hyundai cars, including our i20.

Haven't found a similar solution for our Elite i20 yet.

Quote:
Spacious rear seat with good legroom - not cramped even by C-sedan standards, considering the higher up seating as well.
Very spacious. A chauffeur-driven Creta would be a great option this time around, considering the comfort and all-round space (head, shoulders, legs) on offer. Add the convenience of the 2-step recline, soft cushion-ridden headrests and that huge rear armrest + storage spaces galore, and the rear seat is the best place to be in.

Also, the view outside through the pano sunroof is best enjoyed from the rear seat as well!

Quote:
Is the seating position higher than Lazarus? I like the way it is towering over the Ritz is one of the pictures.
The new-gen Creta has gone lower on it's haunches. Seating position is pretty much similar to the earlier-gen but now you get in and sit a wee bit lower than before.

Yes, the Creta is now bigger, and feels big too. Easily towering over most C-segment hatches and compact sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
So a Raven would be riding a Phoenix!
You know us birds need to stick with each other! Hoping for a Toruk (7/8-seater) to join our ranks in the next 12 months!

Quote:
Its the interior design where the new Creta sure does well. Its very sedate. Simple straight lines & things exactly where they should be. I haven't noticed a single ergonomic blunder anywhere & its like a gift for muscle memory. Feeling at home in the cabin would take about 2 minutes from delivery of a new car I think.
Indeed. The interiors are a dream. Premium, plush and superbly ergonomic.

Quote:
The one thing I just can't understand from car-makers is - they load the car as much as the USS Enterprise star-ship on features & gizmos. But then they omit a simple cheap auto-dimming IRVM. Beyond my grasp really.
SX(O) gets it. Listed in my last post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Its the limitation of the buttons on the IRVM (already 3 present) which otherwise restricts the Auto Dimming IRVM to be added to the Creta or Venue for that matter.
The older generation had it, but if you observe the Verna, Creta & the Venue do not have the Auto Dimming Function
Pray tell how did they manage with the IRVM buttons AND the Auto-dimming ECM in the SX(O) variant, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
How would you rate the NVH level (engine+road+traffic noise) compared to your Ecosport petrol?
NVH levels are much quieter than the Ecosport.

The 1.5L Dragon was a very refined 3-cylinder and had a sporty, throaty thrum every time it was cranked up, and also while running on higher RPMs.

This is a silent machine, except for the traffic noise coming into the cabin. The Creta needs better door insulation and thicker glasses to keep that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
A few features that I expected considering Old gen Creta had;
Cornering Lights(a boon on poorly lit roads), Full-size spare expected for top variants (my Creta gets a 17inch spare wheel albeit a steel one). Also SX variant (particularly the Auto variants should get diamond-cut alloy wheels of the SX(O) considering last gen Creta got them in the Auto variant.
Cornering lights were very, very useful, specially on dark, badly lit roads and during rainy conditions.

Yes, a full-size spare is imperative. Not sure what kind of cost-cutting goes inside the brains of the bean counters here.

Hyundai has always been weird when allocating features to variants across a brand's range. Thankfully, they rectified it somewhat with the 2020 Creta but still more fine-tuning is in order, I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterBoy View Post
I am not an automatic gearbox driver and last time I remember to have driven automatic gearbox was couple of years ago when I had chance of checking out "Ignis". Sadly after driving it in manual mode for some distance I stalled the car by pressing break considering it as clutch while changing gear. This happened amid traffic flowing on the road.Very scary experience that was for me. I vowed not to touch automatics since then.
Nowadays, an AT is super-convenient mainly because you don't need to fiddle with upshifts and downshifts constantly in traffic. Plus, your left leg gets a much-needed rest from it's constant clutch-pressing duty.

Your experience was unfortunate. Just remember that your left leg stays permanently fixed and rests on the dead pedal, and all is well. Your right leg will alternate between the brake and the accelerator by habit, and there we go - easy.

Quote:
This detailed review has been able to change my opinion about Creta in a positive way as against what I used to think about Creta to be nothing but i20 with more ground clearance before.
The new-gen Creta has moved to the Elantra platform. Modified and shared with the Seltos & Verna too. It is now truly a step up from it's i20 roots.

Quote:
BTW did you keep "Lazarus" or exchanged with the dealership? And how much price you got for it if exchanged? Thanks.
Lazarus was sold in June 2017. Have shared the details in the opening post as a link to the sweet deal I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I had a doubt you have mentioned that the car has UV glass all around whereas it is not mentioned in any of the reviews or maybe I am missing something. I thought only the Seltos in its HTX+ and GTX+ trim gets the UV cut glass.
I have noticed the UV grey tints only in the pano sunroof's glass. Window glasses don't get them (at least, I haven't noticed any tints). Will check closely and get back on this.

Quote:
In addition to this, I would like to say you should swap those rims for the diamond cut ones of the SX(O) trim or at least paint them dark grey just like the ones on the Turbo models. This would make the alloys look hot and have an impact on the overall look of the car.
Planning to get them painted in the diamond cut pattern in the not too distant future.

Quote:
I think some of your grouses would have been resolved had you gone for the Seltos HTX IVT had the dealership been present in your city which has most of the must have features you have mentioned like High Line TPMS, Auto Dimming IRVM, height adjustable seat belts,5th headrest etc. But at the same time you would have lost out on safety features like VSM, ESC etc. As is always the case with cars these days you gain some you lose some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Does this mean there was no Kia showroom near you.
Yes. Kia and Hyundai are playing it smart by highlighting their respective offerings and what they bring to the table, and clever distribution of features across both so that they stand separate from each other.

It all boils down to individual choices in the end. And for me Stability Control in a SUV is a must.

But it would have been good to have a local Kia dealership around, just for that one extra compelling option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wishing you a minimum 1.5 lakh happy km with your new Creta!
Thank you so much, GTO. I am already loving the convenience and practicality of this machine so much. I pray all goes well and she stays with us for at least 7-8 years, if not more.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th July 2020 at 13:29. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:11   #18
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations RavenAvi, earlier most of the reviewers mentioned that, Seltos iVT was the most value for money pick in the Seltos Range.

Now your review affirms that Creta iVT going to be a sure winner with added convenience of paddle shifters and that beautiful Panoramic sunroof.

For pure city driving I feel CVT is more suitable, because DCT might get heated up in traffic snarls, which it is already infamous for.

I wish you a fuss free ownership and good health.
RaceHorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:13   #19
BHPian

Congrats for your new car. Strange that it has an "Auto" badge. The Kia Seltos 1.5 petrol IVT comes with an "IVT" badge, while the 1.5 diesel auto comes with "Auto". Also weird that the spare tire is 10 mm thinner than the other four tires, and of a different brand. Hyundai could have easily provided all 5 tires of the same brand and size. I doubt that 10 mm results in significant space saving in the boot. I thought the TPMS was standard on the new Creta, which was great. Then I heard that in the lower variants it is just a warning for when the tire pressure is low. Is that how it is with the SX?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Then I heard that in the lower variants it is just a warning for when the tire pressure is low. Is that how it is with the SX?
Yes, only the SX(O) gets high line TPMS in which each tyre's pressure is shown individually.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:24   #21
BHPian

Congratulations RavenAvi for your new purchase. Overwhelmed by the way you have detailed every point. I doubt whether you have missed any point of this car. Like most, I was also not liking the new 'Creta' in pictures. But when I have seen one in flesh, the perception got changed. Your review helped to understand that the product is technically superior. Wishing you miles and miles of happiness with 'Phoenix'
Sreejith V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:26   #22
BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations on acquiring the New Creta. Sure the styling looks polarizing at first but then one gets used to it. Some days back i saw a Red Creta on road and i have to say it does not looks so bad in person. Infact i quite liked the design, although the CRETA badging on the rear could have been a bit more subtle.

Just wanted to ask how much was the price difference between the 1.5L Petrol IVT and the 1.4L Petrol DCT. I think IVT should be more reliable than the DCT. Although Creta DCT is less jerky than the one in Seltos (as per some reviewers, i have no idea), it is still a bit jerky and probably less reliable than the IVT.

I hope the New Creta serves you well and take care of your health.
Sounak04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 13:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations RavenAvi. Some observations from your ownership review so far and others I have watched on YouTube-
i) The Creta has evolved from being another 'raised' hatch.
ii) I saw a couple of Cretas on the road in Pune recently, especially a black or jungle dark green one I think. With the C-R-E-T-A logo, it looked every bit like a Mini Cooper CountryMan or something in that category. I was critical of its looks when it was launched, but it does seem to look nice in some contrast colours like white, or black/dark green.
iii) From the various pictures and videos, it appears that the Creta sits a bit higher off the ground than the Seltos atleast in the front. So the approach angle might be a bit better.

Question: How is the engine/transmission response with a load of 4 adults during those typical 40-100 kph overtakes ?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 13:23   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on the Phoenix and wishing you a long and stress free ownership

Thanks for the comprehensive ownership review. You've clearly put a lot of time and effort into it

Creta SX IVT is a solid car loaded to the gills with features. As someone who's in the market for a car in this price range, I was really really tempted by the panoramic sunroof, electronic parking brake and auto hold. These are premium features which even some D segment sedans lack.

The one omission I just couldn't look over is lack of side and curtain airbags. In a body type prone to roll over. While driving in the mad traffic of Delhi where red light jumpers after pretty frequent side on collision can never be ruled out. I wish Hyundai had deleted one or two of the gizmos for offering two more airbags.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2020 at 18:51. Reason: Typos
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th July 2020, 13:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations @RavenAvi.
Such a brilliantly thought and compiled review. I have always believed in life luck evens out. You have been unlucky with the troubles your earlier cars had given you but you have being blessed with a loving and caring family which is more important. However, my gut feeling says this time you luck with cars will change and you will have a pleasant experience.

I am considering a Hyundai creta myself by the end of this year or early next year. So, will keenly follow your ownership experience.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 14:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats RavenAvi.

New car almost every year! Justifications aside, I guess you are addicted to the "new car smell"

Wishing you a fuss free ownership this time around.

And also wish you good health! Take care!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 15:30   #27
BHPian

Congrats RavenAvi!
Very good choice.

I think Hyundai has really loaded this variant with most of the features that is normally seen on top end models. Like Panoramic sunroof, start stop button, electric park brake, auto hold, etc. Giving sunroof on SX model was a masterstroke by Hyundai, which is the reason for a lot of Seltos customers to reroute themselves to Hyundai showrooms. Apart from side view of the car and the alloy design, I like the looks. Rather I must say it has grown on me. Interiors are definitely better looking than Seltos. I just love that Audi type gearlever. Its a perfect car for elderly people who drive themselves, especially the cvt variant for its smoothness and reliability. And that Panoroof will make the cabin so much more airy which again is an important point for elder people.

I think the features that are missing in this variant are not very concerning, apart from the extra 4 airbags. Only thing that concerns me for not going for DCT variant is overtaking on highways with this CVT. I have driven baleno cvt and i20 cvt. I found baleno cvt 'okay' for highway driving in terms of acceleration while i20 was very lethargic and very risky for highway overtakes.

Whenever u get chance to take it on the highway, do post the overtaking experience. That will be really helpful for me as well as a lot of other people.

Thanks again for your effort in sharing your experience in such a detailed way.

Mod Note - U = you.

Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th July 2020 at 19:03. Reason: Mod note attached.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 15:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats RavenAvi! IVT is the best variant to go for, among Cretas. None of the jerkiness, heating and reliability issues you may happen to have with DCT. Plus, you get to save a few lakhs over DCT. If you had waited one more month, Duster CVT with 1.3 turbo would be here. I know Duster is dated but nothing beats its ride quality. Duster is the most lower-back/spine-friendly car out there. And, the upcoming turbo 1.3 beats even Creta/Seltos DCTs on power numbers. And, being oldest of the lot, I'm sure Renault would price it low.

Coming to Creta, do share IVT performance as you go along. Hope Hyundai has sorted out brake/steering issues.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 15:46   #29
BHPian

What an amazingly detailed review this was
After reading the first paragraph, I just couldn't stop reading further but had to leave in the middle as I had my online examination!
I strongly recommend you to get a set of better looking rims which will dramatically improve the appearance of your Bold Korean horse.
Wishing you lacs and lacs and some more lacs of trouble free miles with the Pheonix!
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 16:16   #30
BHPian

Great review! You have a very nice eye for detail.
I agree with your comments about the grilles, but it seems to be a fad which is getting worse.

What was really shocking was the lever for the fuel filler lid. That left a bad taste.

Enjoy gobbling up the miles.
jaygeetee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks