Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 10:54   #301
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Still got stupendous fuel economy. As it can be seen, have covered 387 km in ~40% fuel. All this when I wasn't actively looking for fuel efficiency and was driving normally.

Regards,
Shashi
That is an awesome FE. Just wanted to check with you the FE you get in normal driving conditions. Usually I see the FE in the MID of the pictures you posted upwards of 19 kmpl. I do have 22 month old ertiga 1.5 petrol and overall FE I still get is about 15 kmpl. I am a sedate driver, and the highest ever FE I achieved is 20 kmpl over a stretch of just 10 KM. and the normal highway FE is about 16 kmpl. I usually shift by 2000 RPM and rarely cross 3000 RPM. In Kerala, the highways are congested, and at times, I need to down shift to 4th due to slow moving vehicles in front travels at less than 45 kmph. So just wanted to check with you any tips on improving FE like rpm at which shift and your highway speeds at which you attained such FE. (On similar traffic conditions and roads, I get 23 kmpl from amaze diesel, 16-17 kmpl from 14 year old wagon R, and 18+ kmpl from Iginis 1.2 AMT)
sreejithkk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 14:20   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
That is an awesome FE. Just wanted to check with you the FE you get in normal driving conditions. Usually I see the FE in the MID of the pictures you posted upwards of 19 kmpl. I do have 22 month old ertiga 1.5 petrol and overall FE I still get is about 15 kmpl. I am a sedate driver, and the highest ever FE I achieved is 20 kmpl over a stretch of just 10 KM. and the normal highway FE is about 16 kmpl. I usually shift by 2000 RPM and rarely cross 3000 RPM. In Kerala, the highways are congested, and at times, I need to down shift to 4th due to slow moving vehicles in front travels at less than 45 kmph. So just wanted to check with you any tips on improving FE like rpm at which shift and your highway speeds at which you attained such FE. (On similar traffic conditions and roads, I get 23 kmpl from amaze diesel, 16-17 kmpl from 14 year old wagon R, and 18+ kmpl from Iginis 1.2 AMT)
Hope this helps:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4919956

BHPian Madtiger did benefit from the change in practice and got 16kmpl on similar roads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4931907

To summarize, I cruise at 90-100kmph no matter how nice or empty the roads are. If say I have to slow down, I downshift to 3rd or even 2nd, revv the nuts of the K15, get to my preferred cruising speed and then shift to 5th and cruise. During cruising I ensure I don't push the pedal more than 20% or when the eco driving light turns blue. The revving also brings fun to the drive a bit, which you shouldn't expect when you are driving a van.

Spend least time building speeds, and more time feathering the throttle and maintaining speeds. Then I'm sure you'll attain good mileage figures.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:45   #303
BHPian

Hi
I am planning to install this in our baleno 2019 model. Is it straightforward or should we make hole in the engine guard to install?. I asked about this to my workshop manager but he said it will not fit in baleno. Now I think he didn't care so much to take the pain to order and fit this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
So, got the engine cover installed on my Baleno today.
Kpzonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:09   #304

Hi Folks,

I'm a newcomer to this distinguished automotive forum, although have been reading it for 12 years now. Just that the coveted membership got approved a couple of days back, after 1-2 unsuccessful attempts in the past.

Guess it has to do with the birth of my second child in September this year. He seems to have opened our doors to renewed happiness, bliss and new avenues.

What propounds this belief of mine is that we brought home our Suzuki XL6 Zeta MT in glorious Nexa Blue shade on 2nd December, a very prompt decision. I was anyways always convinced on the sheer practicality and space on offer in the Ertiga. XL6 made the choice easier since it has our favorite classy all black interiors and the revered captain seats. It suited our family of 6 (spouse, 2 kids and parents) to the T.

Need advice on whether to upgrade tyres to Michelin with higher section and/or width or persist with Bridgestone Ecopia in stock specs.

thanks and regards

Vikas Grover
A delighted Team-BHPian
Vgrover3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:33   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgrover3 View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm a newcomer to this distinguished automotive forum, although have been reading it for 12 years now. Just that the coveted membership got approved a couple of days back, after 1-2 unsuccessful attempts in the past.

Guess it has to do with the birth of my second child in September this year. He seems to have opened our doors to renewed happiness, bliss and new avenues.

What propounds this belief of mine is that we brought home our Suzuki XL6 Zeta MT in glorious Nexa Blue shade on 2nd December, a very prompt decision. I was anyways always convinced on the sheer practicality and space on offer in the Ertiga. XL6 made the choice easier since it has our favorite classy all black interiors and the revered captain seats. It suited our family of 6 (spouse, 2 kids and parents) to the T.
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the arrival of new member(s) in your family.

Quote:
Need advice on whether to upgrade tyres to Michelin with higher section and/or width or persist with Bridgestone Ecopia in stock specs.
It depends on your preference entirely. Stock Ecopia is of decent quality and shouldn't give you any cause of concern in the long run. So it's not absolutely mandatory to change them.

Better rubber like Michelin with increased sidewall(195/65R15) surely helps in ride quality and reduced road noise. Also do consider the fact that Michelins have extremely restricted supply these days, so even finding them will be a daunting task. There are alternatives like Yoko BluEarth which perform just as well. Also after using the Michelin XM2s for ~6400 km now, I can vouch for its reliability and toughness. I have been on treacherous roads, not sure if those surfaces can be even termed as ROADS. But the XM2s endured everything like a champ! Honestly, it has surpassed my expectations.

Do take an informed decision.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:33   #306
BHPian

Sashi,

Off late i noticed that the system stops the regen while on Cruise Control even if i am on a downhill slope, it simply eases the throttle but the battery is not charged and the indicator remains green which is not the case when the CC is off. Did you experience something similar?

Also do you think the engine guard would provide any protection from rats? With winter around the corner the rat menace is growing due to the nice comfy warm engine bay at night. I am still contemplating fitting it on my car but have to source it from Maruti Spares as Bodomo is not selling it last time i checked.

Thanks
Roy
Old 16th December 2020, 16:03   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding external temperature, I believe sensor is missing in lower models.
Hi Shashi, hope you're doing well. Any idea where to get the sensor? As annual service is due next month planning to fit it in.
Old 20th December 2020, 19:47   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornNotOkPlease View Post
Sashi,

Off late i noticed that the system stops the regen while on Cruise Control even if i am on a downhill slope, it simply eases the throttle but the battery is not charged and the indicator remains green which is not the case when the CC is off. Did you experience something similar?
Yes, with CC engaged, 30% of the real estate of MID is taken up by CC related data. Hence the screen doesn't show animation of regeneration/boost when on CC.

But the system very much works behind the scene.

Also, CC doesn't allow charging of battery as frequently since it hardly allows the vehicle to coast, compared to when driving manually.

Quote:
Also do you think the engine guard would provide any protection from rats? With winter around the corner the rat menace is growing due to the nice comfy warm engine bay at night. I am still contemplating fitting it on my car but have to source it from Maruti Spares as Bodomo is not selling it last time i checked.
Not much. Even if I have the guard, I keep spraying the lower arm, fender lining and similar parts with 3M's rodent spray. That's the path of any rat getting inside, and it's better to discourage the rat from climbing and reaching the engine bay, rather than spraying the engine bay.

This has worked for me and I have parked my car at places infested with rats but thankfully I am yet to see any activity inside the engine bay.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam.dino View Post
Hi Shashi, hope you're doing well. Any idea where to get the sensor? As annual service is due next month planning to fit it in.
Better check with your dealer in advance.

My XL6 has been doing its duty without any hiccup. Have crossed 7k. Nothing to report

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201219_204659.jpg

Long journeys are an absolute bliss in this one, zero fatigue.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201220_193227.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:09   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Inching to perfection

Issue 1:
Quote:
Space provided for dead pedal, sorely miss the rubber attachment here:
I located the dead pedal rubber as a child part of Ciaz's carpet. Did ponder on many ways of fixing the rubber cleanly. I didn't want to use any adhesive directly on the carpet.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-capture.jpg

The inspiration came from Maruti's Mats itself, where they provide rough velcro strips which hold the carpet very well.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143712.jpg

I had some pieces of velcro strips:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143605.jpg

Used Araldite/Equivalent to paste the rough part behind the rubber pad:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143634.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143652.jpg

Before:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143724.jpg

After:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143736.jpg

Mission Accomplished! Best part is it can be removed cleanly if ever need arises.

2nd Issue:
Quote:
I have pasted a sticker I saw on Boodmo, so that it reads anything except diesel. Life has become much easier that way, since I had to literally fight with the fuel attendant once to fill petrol inside. Will get this decal from the S Cross Petrol soon.
Done:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_143808.jpg

Signing off with a click of the XL6:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20201222_144254.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:41   #310

Hello Folks,

Please advise a good polish / shiner for areas like the plastic body cladding, door side molding, fog lamp housing, faux skid plates of my XL6.

Thanks in advance.

Vgrover3
Old 24th December 2020, 18:51   #311
BHPian

Hi this is a great thread @Leoshashi.

I'm on the market for a vehicle and this one ticks all the right boxes.

However, I will be using this vehicle in the hills, and while not off roading at any time, the ride will get rough. MY usage will be as follows:

- 20 per cent rough 'road like' tracks, (emphasising that its not roads, but tracks) 'stony', rough, bumpy.
- 50 percent mountain 'main roads' ie (state highways in the hills) which are mostly ok
- 30 percent city and national highways

In this time we will be between 3 people in the car most of the time (driver and 2 passengers) and sometimes up to 5.

Do you have any comment on

1. Ride quality in such conditions, which is important because i have minor back pain and don't want to aggravate it

2. Torque and power in such conditions (especially pulling 5 passenger loads)

3. How much of a beating such a car can take (My current drive is Brezza which has done 115,000 odd kms in 4 years and is now beginning to protest!)
Old 24th December 2020, 20:07   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Please advise a good polish / shiner for areas like the plastic body cladding, door side molding, fog lamp housing, faux skid plates of my XL6.

Thanks in advance.

Vgrover3
Try out the Turtle Trim Restorer. Works well with plastic trims.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0196FS6O6/..._FEk5Fb7QSW07Q
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 20:10   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance.

Vgrover3
Get Turtle Wax trim restorer if yours has begun to fade. If it's just for maintenance then Meguiar's Natural shine will be my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
Hi this is a great thread @Leoshashi.

I'm on the market for a vehicle and this one ticks all the right boxes.

However, I will be using this vehicle in the hills, and while not off roading at any time, the ride will get rough. MY usage will be as follows:

- 20 per cent rough 'road like' tracks, (emphasising that its not roads, but tracks) 'stony', rough, bumpy.
- 50 percent mountain 'main roads' ie (state highways in the hills) which are mostly ok
- 30 percent city and national highways

In this time we will be between 3 people in the car most of the time (driver and 2 passengers) and sometimes up to 5.

Do you have any comment on

1. Ride quality in such conditions, which is important because i have minor back pain and don't want to aggravate it

2. Torque and power in such conditions (especially pulling 5 passenger loads)

3. How much of a beating such a car can take (My current drive is Brezza which has done 115,000 odd kms in 4 years and is now beginning to protest!)
-Ride quality is decent, and should be fine on your intended usage. Again this is a personal thing hence please take a proper TD yourself and then take a call.

-Never felt it to be a problem, it's excellent by Petrol car standards.

-What do you mean by "Protest"? If you mean rattles then please stay away from ANY Maruti. Be it the S Cross we recently bought or my XL6, they are all very much prone to minor squeaks and rattles. Mechanically they will not give up so easily, but interior build is something which isn't so great.

Do take a look at the newly launched Duster Turbo Petrol, it seems like one of the best bet for your intended usage. Excellent ride quality and torque from the Turbo petrol will be more than enough for the hills.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 24th December 2020 at 20:14.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 23:49   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Inching to perfection

2nd Issue:

Done:

Regards,
Shashi
Could please share the part # for the fuel sticker and restrictions?
Btw time has come for you return journey, will share our experience.
Old 26th December 2020, 18:58   #315
BHPian

@Leoshashi . I have a question regarding the Transmission Oil replacement interval for XL6/Ertiga 1.5 Petrol. I have gone through the Owners Manual, and could not find a mention on at what KM, the transmission oil needs to be replaced. For Manual Transaxle Oil, it just mention to inspect every 10K. On my 2007 wagonR, transmission oil replacement interval was mentioned at 20K, and on later Marutis, it was at 40K. Since the replacement interval is not mentioned anywhere, does this means it should last for lifetime of the car? I am about to give my car for 24 Months service and only that needs to be replaced is Engine Oil, Coolant, Clutch and Brake fluids.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks