Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 14:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT

Hey Hummer,

You Terrano looked absolutely smashing when you parted with it. Great upkeep!!

Somehow I felt the Terrano was better looking than the Duster but Nissan did not treat it like it should have been. They could have got the 110 PS spec and mated it to a CVT/AMT and would have bought in some numbers for them as the market was itching for diesel auto-boxes then!

Nice colour shade on the Duster. The orange colour looks very rusty which is much better than other tacky orange shades that other manufacturers use. I guess the AMT masks the turbo lag issue that many have complained about the 110 PS model. The Terrano alloys are very refreshing compared to the bland Duster OE ones.

Interesting lockdown photography around your house and you seem to have your own rocky patch leading to your home

Wish you many miles with the AMT Duster!!

Cheers
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 16:13   #17
BHPian

The tyres and alloys seriously take this car up a visual notch! Smashing looking now.

Btw how much did the carbon fibre wrapping cost?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:19   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the Duster. I own an AMT RXZ too in the exact same shade. It is definitely an excellent car. Wishing you many trouble-free miles with the duster.

Cheers.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 14:43   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on a great buy.

I've always had a soft corner for the Duster. It may be old, but it is still a very capable cruiser.

I think the Duster still makes more sense than the Captur. The Captur will not age well, unlike the Duster. Also on a back to back test drive i did find the foot-well on the drivers side cramped in the Captur as compared to the Duster (the design of the central console is to blame I think).

Having said that, I do hope they launch the new Duster sooner than later. The interiors are miles ahead of the current generation. I don't think they will have to retool their factory too much as the new Duster sits on a modified platform of the older Duster. It could take the fight to the Creta/Seltos, a rugged old school design true to the SUV ethos as opposed to the soft roader designs of the Koreans.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th August 2020 at 23:30. Reason: Removing unwanted dots and capitalising. The earlier Mod note refers.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I am sorry, is it just me or others think the same way? I love your Terrano more than new Duster Terrano looks dashing, can you share pricing details as well? How much did you get for Terrano and how much you paid for Duster? I am in market looking to sell me TUV AMT, and getting different quotations from dealers.
Thank you ramnaresh_2000, it's not only you Terrano looks classier. Resale value of these twins is not great. On road value generally reduces by ~50% in 4 years depending on condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Congratulations on the car. The Duster is a great choice. It is one of my favourite cars on sale in India.

The Duster was probably the first vehicle that I found acceptable with the AMT. The powerful diesel engine makes the gear shifts a lot smoother than smaller engines. Besides, there is the ride quality of the car. It has been the benchmark among Indian cars for a long time.

It's been a long time since the Duster was introduced in India. But, even today, I wouldn't mind buying one.
Thank you Aditya. I see a big difference in AMT feel between Duster and NANO. Duster drives almost like a conventional automatic, yes, power is the differentiator + the other qualities like ride, handling etc negate the AMT feel if any. The front headlights and rear door/brake lights needs some cosmetic changes to up the oomph factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Congratulations Sir!
The Duster/Terrano are tailor made for Indian conditions and with the 110hp tune, it makes for a brilliant highway cruiser too!
I remember me, my brother and dad had called for a test drive of the Duster back in 2016 and we were super impressed with the way the Duster was handling our adventurous roads!
Wishing you lacs of joyful and trouble free miles with Orange Beast!
Thank you Nazaar25, I remember the trip to Chikkamagalur with Terrano, where it cleared coffee estate off-road'ish drive with ease compared to a Mahindra 4X4. With high GC, these twins are confidence inspiring to take on such terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Hey Hummer,

You Terrano looked absolutely smashing when you parted with it. Great upkeep!!

Somehow I felt the Terrano was better looking than the Duster but Nissan did not treat it like it should have been. They could have got the 110 PS spec and mated it to a CVT/AMT and would have bought in some numbers for them as the market was itching for diesel auto-boxes then!

Nice colour shade on the Duster. The orange colour looks very rusty which is much better than other tacky orange shades that other manufacturers use. I guess the AMT masks the turbo lag issue that many have complained about the 110 PS model. The Terrano alloys are very refreshing compared to the bland Duster OE ones.

Interesting lockdown photography around your house and you seem to have your own rocky patch leading to your home

Wish you many miles with the AMT Duster!!

Cheers
Thank you srinath34. Terrano had petrol CVT and Diesel AMT models, however, they were not sold well and hence not available in used cars market.

Rocky patch roads in our layout are waiting to be tarred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
The tyres and alloys seriously take this car up a visual notch! Smashing looking now.

Btw how much did the carbon fibre wrapping cost?
Thank you Stribog. Carbon fibre wrapping costed around 4k, it's been 10 months and it's holding tight without any cracks or shading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvgJoe View Post
Congratulations on a great buy.

I've always had a soft corner for the Duster. It may be old, but it is still a very capable cruiser.

I think the Duster still makes more sense than the Captur. The Captur will not age well, unlike the Duster. Also on a back to back test drive i did find the foot-well on the drivers side cramped in the Captur as compared to the Duster (the design of the central console is to blame.....i think).

Having said that, i do hope they launch the new Duster sooner than later. The interiors are miles ahead of the current generation. I don't think they will have to retool their factory too much as the new Duster sits on a modified platform of the older Duster. It could take the fight to the Creta/Seltos, a rugged old school design true to the SUV ethos as opposed to the softroader designs of the Koreans.
Thank you AnAvgJoe. I too like the SUVs with old school design, like the old X-Trails and old Jeeps with that squarish sleek looks. Hope Renault will rejuvenate Duster and make it desirable among the competition.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 14:46   #21
BHPian

During return trip from Shivamogga recently:

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e1397.jpg

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e1402.jpg

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e1400.jpg
Old 15th August 2020, 12:48   #22
BHPian

You must confuse a lot of keen-eyed observers, driving a Duster with Nissan wheels.
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 13:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Duster looks way better with the Terrano alloy wheels. The OE one's on the previous generation were nice though. Present generation alloys really look bad in my opinion.

Your car looks as good or better than new !
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:55   #24
BHPian

Hello,

I had given my Duster for below complaints:

1. AC cooling effect was bad especially after 1 hour of AC usage
2. Too much blower noise when fan speed increased to level 4 & above
3. Passenger side fender bend removal (it’s rubbing the door)
4. Clean the insulation padding under the bonnet
5. General check up of battery, fluids, brakes, wipers etc

Left the vehicle at the service station and sent all the details via WhatsApp. It was a no touch with social distancing event, all were in masks. Pick is also available, I didn't avail as I wanted to meet service engineer personally to explain the issues:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-servicestation.jpg

Next day, received a call from service station about complaints resolution:
1. AC gas has been filled, so I should take long drive to test effectiveness
2. There were some leaves & dirt in duct itseems, it's been cleaned up, now it's normal fan noise. I was advised not to park under trees.
3. I had told NO to insurance claim to repaint the fender, so only fender rubbing the door has been fixed (to avoid rusting)
4. Insulation padding under the bonnet has been cleaned
5. General check up of battery, fluids, brakes, wipers etc done and fluids have been topped up

Total bill came to Rs.2553. Next service due at 60k kms, I may take Renault Easycare (AMC) of 3 years/30k kms at Rs.35k, I will decide before going for next service.

Insulation padding under the bonnet cleaned:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-bonnetinsulpad.jpeg

Engine bay looks clean:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-dusterenginebay.jpeg

Got the vehicle delivered, it was a rainy day:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-rainyday1.jpg

I bought OSRAM Night Breaker Laser bulbs (H1 - High beam) from Amazon and fixed myself. Now we can verify the genuineness of product by scanning the bar code:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-osramnblh1.jpeg

High beam with new OSRAM NBL H1, I couldn't take pic of old H1 light, but I can see increased brightness and whitish light, worth it!! :
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-nblhighbeam1.jpeg

Low beam with original OSRAM H7 from Renault, I will change these probably after testing the H1s for few months:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-lowbeam1.jpeg

High beam with new OSRAM NBL H1:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-nblhighbeam2.jpeg

Low beam with original OSRAM H7 from Renault:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-lowbeam2.jpeg

Only fender rubbing the door has been fixed to avoid rusting, I can live with it for some time, I may check with local garage guys if they can do something:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-fenderbend.jpg

Recently at a Shell petrol pump, one guy on a scooter approached me to remove this fender bend, I wasn't sure to get it done by him, so I said NO, later I thought, I should have tried. Anyway I will try next time if I find him.
Old 20th September 2020, 14:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
]

Recently at a Shell petrol pump, one guy on a scooter approached me to remove this fender bend, I wasn't sure to get it done by him, so I said NO, later I thought, I should have tried. Anyway I will try next time if I find him.
I recently got this done on my Punto as a guy similarly approached me. They just use the two metallic bars and hammer the dents, bends into shape. Looks ugly once the work is done as the metal is hammered from outside with a metal bar supporting the hammer process from inside. Difficult to get it painted as well.

Better to get it done in a local paint shop once and for all.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 19:49   #26
BHPian

I was in a dilemma, thanks a lot NFS2024 for saving my frustration !!

Though fender is bent it's not visible unless we observe carefully as paint is intact so I don't have to worry about rusting as well.

I can push it until I find an expert tinker / painter. Let me know if you know someone around Bannerghatta road, Bengaluru.
Old 20th September 2020, 21:22   #27
BHPian

If there is no loss of paint and only a dent to be removed, you can visit Trend Automobiles as they do a PDR (paintless dent removal).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...bangalore.html (Body Repair & Painting, Glass Repair, Detailing etc. - Trend Automobiles (Bangalore))

Last edited by Nalin1 : 20th September 2020 at 21:24.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 20:52   #28
BHPian

Short travelogue about our outing to a farm during Covid:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ing-covid.html (Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid)

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-farm.jpg

Took time out to give a spa treatment during Ayudha Pooja and Dasara Festival :

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-dasara1.jpg

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-dasara2.jpg

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-dasara3.jpg

Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-dasara4.jpg
hummer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 19:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
If there is no loss of paint and only a dent to be removed, you can visit Trend Automobiles as they do a PDR (paintless dent removal).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...bangalore.html (Body Repair & Painting, Glass Repair, Detailing etc. - Trend Automobiles (Bangalore))
Thanks Nalin for referring Trend Automobiles, they did a near perfect job of fixing the dent on my Duster’s fender !

I got a dent on left fender in Sep 2020, Renault service adviser told this dent can’t be removed and asked me to go for proper tinkering work, repaint etc with insurance claim. I didn’t want a paint job just for this dent as paint was intact and the dent was not hindering anything, but every time I see this dent on the neat bodyline, I felt pained like most of us on this forum.
My wife is not an auto enthusiast, never observes cars forget dents, but recently she also pointed this dent and asked when did it happen, then I decided it must be treated immediately.

I visited Trend Automobiles last week, showed the dent to Anish. He told it is can be fixed as close but may not be perfect. He asked me to come on a weekday morning (estimated 2-3 hours), I visited yesterday at 10am and got the dent removed in 2 hours, I was out at 12.15pm. Now the fender looks neat and aligned with rest of the bodyline. I am very happy with their work. I really recommend these guys for their professionalism and passion for the work. It’s just their skill of PDR and passion, no training, no sophisticated tools or gyan to customers. He could have easily asked me to go for painting which could have gotten him more money. I don’t know about their other services like painting, polishing etc but they did a great job of PDR on my Duster without damaging the paint

Here are some pictures of before and after:

Dent area marked:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e1504_d.jpg

Dent - angle1:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e3156_d.jpg

Dent - angle2:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e3157_d.jpg

Vehicle taken in:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e3164.jpg

Work in progress:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e3160.jpg

Bodyline restored1:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e3168.jpg

Bodyline restored2:
Sold my Nissan Terrano MT, bought a Renault Duster AMT-img_e3172.jpg
Old 17th February 2021, 19:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Thanks Nalin for referring Trend Automobiles, they did a near perfect job of fixing the dent on my Duster’s fender !
That's brilliant fix for your dent. Last pic has no trace of the dent anymore.

If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost to fix this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks