Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 19:31   #31
BHPian

Re: You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories

Fantastic Writeup. Enjoyed Reading it.

As a fellow Fiat fan and a very proud T Jet owner, every part resonates with my experience.

Once we see these T Jets and Abarth out, nothing like these will ever run on the road again.
mitsalltheway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 21:18   #32
BHPian

Excellent write up Sidindica. Long awaited. As a fellow Black Abarth owner, have to agree with all your points.

My car was the last one in Karnataka (as confirmed by PPS, Bangalore). I bought mine in June 2019. Here is a picture after 2nd free service couple of weeks back. Have done about 9.5k kms.

I have only few mods to speak of. Have made of list of things to add but this corona virus has thrown a spanner in everything

Here is a list of Mods on my car:

1. Michelin PS4 from day one
2. Bi - Xenon projectors for both fog and main lamps. I drive a lot during night and this has made a difference. The difference between these and stock lamps is literally night and day (pun intended)
3. Dash cam (If you can call it a mod!)
4. 3M mats at the front
5. 3M PPF for bonet and front bumper

Bigger todo list is still pending!

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-abarth-front.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

List of warranty replacements:
  • LHS fog lamp housing-3 (funnily the red paint came off while washing the car normally)
  • RHS fog lamp housing-1 (same reason)
I didn't know these were covered by Warranty. Here is what happened few months back after a simple wash. If this is covered by Warranty, i will speak to FASS tomorrow. Currently, the fog lamp housing is covered by 3M wrap.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-fog-lamp.jpeg

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 27th September 2020 at 21:21.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 22:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I didn't know these were covered by Warranty. Here is what happened few months back after a simple wash. If this is covered by Warranty, i will speak to FASS tomorrow. Currently, the fog lamp housing is covered by 3M wrap.

Attachment 2060082

Could you help me with the details of those projector fogs? They seem to fit perfectly in the housing. I have been looking out for quite sometime for my Evo, but haven't been able to find one which fits perfectly.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th September 2020 at 09:31. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
gollabhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 09:30   #34
BHPian

What a write up. Whenever next I visit Delhi please please let me drive your car. Am literally imagining flooring it on the lovely Gurgaon main road (the one with subways) late at night.

More than your review the last few paras were gold.

Edit -

Those decals though, my personal opinion is that they are horrible. YMMV

And those problems, FCA truly should be ashamed of themselves

Last edited by Stribog : 28th September 2020 at 09:32.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollabhat View Post
Could you help me with the details of those projector fogs? They seem to fit perfectly in the housing. I have been looking out for quite sometime for my Evo, but haven't been able to find one which fits perfectly.
Hi,

I got these from Blaze India. The person's name is Amit i think. You can find the details from google. I got 2.5 inchers and they were a bit tricky to install. I think you should get 3 inchers. He is based in Delhi. He will courier the stuff to you. You have to get it installed by a reliable 3rd party installer.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 14:49   #36
BHPian

Awesome & exhaustive review sidindica, this review was long overdue. As an ex Fiat Punto MJD owner, I can relate to most of the negatives points in your review, which in case of a Punto are more due to FIAT India, rather than the product itself. Wishing you many happy miles with the Abarth Punto .

I did get a chance to drive this beast of a car earlier this year (pre Covid days), so here's my brief review:
  • Being an ex Punto owner, everything fell in hand. The slightly awkward driving position, the vault like doors, big A pillars all felt very similar to me.
  • The engine at idle is silent, doesn't feel like a car with so much power while idling. The clutch though light, is a bit springy in action. I stalled the car a few times.
  • On the move, initially the car moves like a normal car. It's decently fast even in low RPMs, though not a rocket. Then cross 2000RPM, all hell breaks loose. I was simply pinned to the driver seat, the car accelerating very briskly. Too powerful for a novice like me. The brakes have always been a strong point of the Punto, the all discs setup here is even better. The brakes are more than sufficient for this engine (even this remapped one).
  • The exhaust sound is rather muted. The intake growl with the aftermarket intake system is unlike any intake sound I have heard before. A very deep & loud growl, though a bit too loud for my liking.
  • The gearbox is still the same, throws are a bit rubbery. I personally don't have any issues with this GB. The ride at low speeds is a bit jiggly, not as composed as our stock Punto MJD. I guess it's due to the lowering that has been done. Having said that the ride still remains best in class, magic carpet ride indeed.
  • I have recently driven the Polo 1.0 TSi (a friend has booked one), that car is fast, but nowhere as explosive as this one. I have always said that in ride, handling & build (not finish) department, the Punto is better than Polo (regardless of the engine).
  • The old school hydraulic steering is simply awesome, perfectly weighted & full of feel. There's a certain old school charm & soul about the Abarth Punto, which is lacking in current gen of cars.
Sid you owe me a longer TD next time I visit Delhi.

Yours truly with the Abarth Punto:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-punto.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 30th September 2020 at 15:03.
chiranjitp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:58   #37
BHPian

• ... turns heads like crazy ...
  • its a car built for Orangutans .

Totally agree with these.

Here's a pic that brings together the head turning nature of the car and the fact that it was also built for the enjoyment of the orangutan's humble cousin.

Perhaps i chose the banana flavoured antenna on the accessory list by mistake.

Lovely review !!
Attached Thumbnails
You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20191003_141412847_hdr.jpg  

Mar21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 19:40   #38
BHPian

@sidindica

Lovely unbiased review on a car that is full of character, but also has it's fair share of idiosyncrasies.

Admire the DIY streak you have in modding your car to make it better, so here's to many happy km in your Abarth.
Old 30th September 2020, 22:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Creatures of the night.

If there was one thing that Punto wasn't exactly known for, it was the horrible throw of light. I am not a fan of any excessive aftermarket wiring mods and want a neat plug n play look in my car. So, powerful LEDs were the only way out. With lighting technology improving every passing time, LEDs are the future.

The Punto has 55 watt rated holders in H4 (headlights) and H11 (fog lights). I had philips ultinon but wanted to settle for something better and brighter.

I had learnt a lot of good reviews by users of Aurora brand LED headlamps and foglamps which were marketed and sold by GT Tunerz (he is the sole importer) and got them fitted by Akshay. They are expensive by todays standards (7.5k/pair) but throw amazing light.

Both are rated at 48 watts and are 6000k coloured bulbs. There is no seperate cooling fan but it has many silver coloured heat dissipation ribbons at the back. Below are the results:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-1.jpg

Low beam

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-2.jpg

High beam

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-3.jpg

Low beam and fogs

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-4.jpg

High beam and fogs

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-5.jpg

only fogs

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-17.jpg

Low beam and fog

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-18.jpg

High beam and fog

if you notice the LEDs obviously scatter the beam on clear lenses and projectors focus the beam at one angle. But, the Punto Evo's reflector design is one confused like the OEM making the car itself. I am very much impressed with these bulbs as they work wonders on stock reflectors.

Some other lighting changes:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-9.jpg

MAXGTRS T10 LED on number plate (Aliexpress)

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-8.jpg

MAXGTRS T10 LED in boot

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-12.jpg

Osram T10 LED in the glovebox

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-6.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-7.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-11.jpg

Philips cabin LED Light

The parking lights have Osram T10 LEDs as well. The Punto has canbus system for Parking and number plate lights and LEDs do not have much resistance power so the instrument panel throws a CANBUS error at all times. I need to procure two pairs of reliable load resisters but decided to live with the glowing bulb icon on the instrument cluster till I find a neat Plug n Play resistors. Canbus error free claimed T10 bulbs too throw an error thanks to FCA's idiosyncrasies.

On the other hand, blinging cars of today skip a very vital feature-illumination of crucial buttons to save 5 rupees per bulb. Not in the case of Punto. These buttons remain lit at all times.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-13.jpg

The driver's side master power window switches and ORVM controls, all doors have illuminated switches.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-14.jpg

The my car/fog lamp/HL levelling device switch panel

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-15.jpg

The ACC panel

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-z-16.jpg

And the party trick-the factory ambient lighting in amber. Its obvious that many MS and slant H owners do feel jealous when they see this in the dashboard.

Style like these only Italians can give. Style, which they are known for globally.

Gotta love these things about Europe.
sidindica is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 00:04   #40
BHPian

Great review. I really liked that you were unbiased. I don't understand why the Indian hot hatches don't give enough equipment. If some one is buying this car, I'm sure they wouldn't mind spending another 40-45k on getting a better ICE unit, auto headlights, auto wipers, an auto dimming IRVM and a few things here and there that are available on the i20 mid and top variants.
Also, do you think the Abarth Punto would've done better if they also provided a DCT variant along side the manual? That's what really drove the Polo GT TSI sales right, the slick DSG gearbox.
Old 15th October 2020, 19:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Red and black flash

Ordered these seatbelt pads (set of 4) in RED CF finish in black lettering from here and it came in 6 days flat.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-red-1.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-red-2.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-red-3.jpg
sidindica is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 22:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Update: 28,000 kms and 4th service and a bad phase.

I have a habit of getting oils and all filters change every 7,500 kms and few days back, at 27,500 kms got the car's first paid service done at landmark gurgaon. Again, excellent work done and I got all the fluids changed since it crossed the two year mark.

The bill came to approx under 10k.

The last year's last month was a bad phase with the car's right side was damaged thanks to a biker who rammed while I was waiting to take a U turn to fill petrol. Both the doors have been changed and the repair job was done in insurance (HDFC ERGO) at landmark gurgaon. Again, their work far exceeded my expectations which also included re-damping of both doors with same sheets.

I got Forge motorsport's blow off valve installed (cost Rs. 25k, ordered from N1 racing Mumbai and installed at autopsyche) and I plan to do few more mods in the coming weeks.

In city driving, the FE hovers between 11-13 kmpl and on highways, 14-16 kmpl is the norm.

The suspension is holding well and overall the car is performing exceptionally as expected as I drive both cars alternate days. Plus its overall comfortable though the Italian monkeys will get hold of its ugly ergonomics.

Signing off with few pics taken last week.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-8.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-9.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-10.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-11.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-12.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-13.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20210306_191132_2.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 6th March 2021 at 22:42.
sidindica is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Made some changes to the stock exhaust with a custom resonator and end can with Borla forged carbon dual tips to complete the look. Do let me know how it sounds.

Work done by Silencer Garage, CP, Delhi.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 22:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2V5lbt2MHLc

Made some changes to the stock exhaust with a custom resonator and end can with Borla forged carbon dual tips to complete the look. Do let me know how it sounds.

Work done by Silencer Garage, CP, Delhi.
Hi,

The video is not available to us. Any way you can re upload and share pls?
Old 6th May 2021, 12:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to play the right notes.

So, it had to happen, listen to it below.

The T jet needs to be made to sound good and its not everyone's cup of tea to make it sound good. Have seen plenty of cars with aftermarket exhausts but some or the other they didn't sound the way I wanted it to.

Choosing Speedsport (Phillippos Matthai) Delhi for the job:

I had learnt a lot about his work and his specialization in preparing rally cars since a long time, plus I had many discussions prior to giving the car to him for the custom exhaust job. I was again skeptical since he never worked on a T jet before so this will be his first project. I visited his workshop with a friend who will be getting some mods done in his polo, plus also a friend got his swift dualjet modded with custom exhaust and remap with dyno run from him. Met few friends who were all praises for his work so that installed more confidence.

Had spoken to many more shops and even considered Automech once, but having a person in Delhi was a better choice for me due to availability of service or advice should the need arise.

Besides, the chul, hadbadi and quick jugaad exhaust setup done at Silencer garage CP-the craze only lasted a week since the car was sounding very cringy. It was half here half there in the middle of nowhere. So decided to get rid of that setup and start afresh.

Either do it the right way or do nothing.

The Abarth Punto comes with 2.25" galvanised steel piping from the factory. Phil suggested to first go with a catback setup with a straight pipe with a custom end can and maintaining the original tip. He was on his belief that keep the car as original looking as possible, do the mods underneath. He even showed his GTI which had custom exhaust but stock tips which came from factory.

So the route taken was to custom fabricate a SS 304 2.5" pipe and an end can which took 3 full working days. The whole exhaust was fabricated in house including bending of pipes as per the set requirements and it was a very neat work done by Phil and his team. We took an extra day to do tweaks to the sound and the car was delivered after I liked the note. Haven't driven the car much due to the ongoing lockdown but am overall happy with the note.

Few more stuff I got in this period pending to be installed:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20210506_121140.jpg

A high end dash camcorder kit

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20210506_121353.jpg

And sensairy TMPS with 5 valve BT setup.

Review post installation. Watch this space.

Last edited by sidindica : 6th May 2021 at 12:41.
sidindica is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks