Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 23:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories

YOU LIVE ONLY ONCE.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-montgoflier-brothers.jpg

You live only once, to fly up the skies.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-wright-brothers-plane.jpg

You live only once, to spread the wings of joy.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-tenzing-edmund-everest.jpg

You live only once, to conquer the horizon.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-moon.jpg

You live only once, to create a giant leap of mankind.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-alexandergrahambelldemo.jpg

You live only once, to communicate happiness around the world.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-baird-tv.jpg

You live only once, to spread joy and happiness and entertain people.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-marconi-radio.jpg

You live only once, to connect notions and emotions.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-1024pxat_the_south_pole_december_1911.jpg

You live only once, to conquer the world.

You live only once, to unite a society.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-benz-car.jpg

You live only once, to create the world's greatest invention.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-50.jpg

You live only once, to celebrate the world's greatest invention, wheels.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 00:27.
sidindica is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 23:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories

You live only once, to write a story, beyond all stories.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-5.jpg

Sometimes...

...A storywriter writes a story to hit the market...
...sometimes, for fame...
...sometimes, for himself...
...sometimes, to play in the gallery...
...sometimes, for critics appreciation and awards...
...And sometimes...
...he does not cling to any of the above objectives specifically.
He just responds to the raw emotions of the characters and the events happening in their world.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-1.jpg

That's when the writer in him picks up a keyboard and starts narrating a story with a full bag of emotions from his heart and new thoughts from his mind for his ever changing society.
The Black Raven is a story of the ever changing needs and evolution of the Indian automotive society.
Modern forms, yet traditional values.
Its a non stop narration of the raw characters that culminated into the creation of the motor car, to celebrate the world's greatest invention, wheels.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-8.jpg

Join me in this journey, of the Abarth Punto, called the Black Raven.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 00:26.
sidindica is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 00:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

You only live once, to judge your decision.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-157.jpg

Some say that...(+)
  • It has vast reserves of power. Power on demand, power on supply... power, and more power.
  • Its a hoon machine. The graffiti brings out the college boy in you.
  • Its a large hearted flying machine, free of all the rules of taxation.
  • Its Safe, secure and stable.
  • Its ride and handling, with the old school hydraulic power steering, is unparalled.
  • It has many intelligent features, and smart utility laden equipment lines.
  • Its mod friendly. You don't need to spend insane amount to have fun.
  • I am a happy customer with the after sales service quality. Also the regular service parts and service labour is value priced.
  • I Love her anchors. Surestop stopping power.
  • I adore its sporty black interiors, with contrast needle stitching in red and yellow and unconvectional seat fabric.
  • Splash and dash of practical mods have improved the package to just what I wanted, with more to come.
  • The exclusivity in Delhi Roads... turns heads like crazy... its kinda also insecure.
  • The feeling of invincibility.
Whereas some, don't agree with...(-)
  • The stock gearshift quality is vague and rubbery. With the short shifter, its only the throws that have reduced.
  • The ergonomics. Oh man, its a car built for Orangutans. Just look at that inclination of that dead pedal and those window switches and that in your face steering position.
  • The build precision. Ranjangaon plant of FCA is a QC Joke. Too many warranty claims makes me feel like a useless fellow with no ambitions. Some cosmetics are brittle, some are worse, some are well....just well.
  • The Abarth brand is gone. It came and went. Who remembers what it was?
  • You don't feel good when your other car is a Fiat and you scout for your nearest service centre and it requires you to travel to the moon and back. FCA, are you kidding?
  • Just a 3 year warranty while 5-6 year extended warranties are a new norm. talk about stone age, are we?
  • Expensive brake pads, turbocharger, discs and spark plugs. Performance comes at a price. But then, you live only once.
  • Potential gremlins to be mentally prepared for associated with T jets. Examples....Alternator/AC etc.
  • The stock GC of the car is a joke. It begs for lowering. Trust me, its the best thing to happen.
  • The red highlights look loud. It screams "ricer". But then, who cares?
  • LED projectors? No. Keyless go? Naah. Apple carplay and Android auto? No man. Auto folding mirrors? Naah. Parking sensors? What's that? Auto headlamps? Rain sensing wipers? You kidding bro?

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-156.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 11:25.
sidindica is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to jump in making that opportunity an opportunistic decision.

The facts of the matter:

It all started sometime 2 years ago in the autumn of 2018, when an itch to get a powerful manual transmission hatch, with a 4 cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, started to creep within. The other car is a 1.6 NA, bigger than the mundane 1.2s we are used to seeing, again the rules of taxation being defied here. The Abarth Punto was the only logical option left and then started the fire sale of the car. With BS6 looming around the horizon beginning April 2020. and with an expected downfall in the fun to drive cars in affordable category, it was time to seriously consider the swap with the silver Punto 90 HP (tuned and lowered) I was driving. I was generally happy but there was always an itch for this:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-untitled.jpg

I had driven the car many times before, and I was waiting for the right opportunity, at the right time, and then the right time came when I saw a message tingling on my hapless mobile phone:

"Abarth Punto, India's fastest hot hatch, now available with a Rs. 2 lakh rupee discount off the on road price"

The Diesel Punto had done nearby 34000 odd kms in under 2 years, but with diesel prices creeping up, bigger sized engines coming, and of course, planned reduction in running meant that the ownership had to be given up sooner than expected. So I called up Shoaib Rana in Landmark Moti Nagar Delhi and started a lengthy negotiation which lasted a week. The insurance renewal of the Punto Evo was also due so it was better to exchange the car with landmark and purchase the Abarth Punto. It was a timed impulse decision.

The facts:
On road price including insurance: Rs. 11,20,000
Discount on on road price after negotiations: Rs. 9 lakh exact and also squeezed out insurance deal which included zero dep and engine protect with unlimited claims in zero dep assessment.

Free accessories I took from the showroom:
  • Floor mats
  • Boot mat
  • neckrests
  • Cushion Pillows
  • Reverse Camera
Accessories I swapped from my Diesel Punto before delivery:
  • Front Centre Armrest
  • Bonalume short shifter
  • Eibach springs
  • LED Headlights and foglights
  • Sports pedals
  • Sill plates (This had 4 pieces which I got luckily from Chandigarh)
  • An extra pair of neck rests and cushion which I carried onto the Palio

The workshop people have been very cooperative and did the fitment before delivery, in fact, I took the delivery of my car with Eibach springs and Bonalume short shifter fitted straight from showroom itself.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-155.jpg

The Delivery day:

November 27, 2018 was the day I took a very simple and low key delivery. I spent 3 days before in doing the PDI, fitment of parts, doing final checks, paperwork etc. The sales team carried all the process smoothly and I was allotted the registration number before delivery, with the plates taking a weeks time to arrive. Nothing fancy, just a simple straightforward process.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 19:45.
sidindica is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to admire and have admiring glances.

On the streets, some say that this looks gaudy and doesn't ooze the elegance that Italians are known for.
Some say that the fish like snout looks like a controversial stroke of a haphazard Korean design trait.
Some say that the red rings have been forced outta a hell's living nightmare with a witch inside his bungalow attracted by seeing huge scorpion claws.
And some, conclude this story to be the reason behind a huge insect decal you see on the roof.
Its so loud, its an eye magnet for the unfriendly birds flying up the sky and then you know the result when some say, they may create a mess.

Allow me to describe how the Black raven looks like when some say, she turns heads on the streets of Delhi:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-137.jpg

India exclusive fish like snout is a departure to softer mould than the loud Abarth Puntos of Europe we had seen.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-136.jpg

headlights stretch all the way back and cover half the length of the fender.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-143.jpg

The powerbulge on bonnet. Hate the exposed washer jets.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-142.jpg

Prominent Abarth Logo in place of Fiat logo.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-141.jpg

Grille pattern is honeycomb. Lower grille was replaced with the "sport" version logo.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-135.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-140.jpg

Red accents for foglight covers. Looks loud but I kinda like it. No fancy projectors, simple units with aftermarket Aurora brand LED bulbs installed.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-144.jpg

The front 3/4 profile. Lowering is a must for a sleek look. Sharp creases run through fender areas.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-145.jpg

The ancient silhouette dating back to 2005. Surprising how the new bits merged well with the old bodyshell design.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-146.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-147.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-148.jpg

The rear has a Thick C pillar and upper mounted taillights with LED Light guides. Only different bumpers with a reverse light on the left and fog light to the right, a safety feature many manufacturers have skipped.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-112.jpg

Trapezoidal exhaust tip is unique bot opinions are polarizing. I like it.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-128.jpg

Prominent side skirting is held together with 9 clips on drilled running board and 6 bolts on the floorpan. This is taped with 2 rows of 3m tape. Note abarth decals with track inspired strips on the rear door.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-130.jpg

Go faster look fender with scorpion claw alloy wheel. Italian flag sticker is an aftermarket add on.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-129.jpg

Big discs up front are ventilated and provide best in class stopping power...

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-126.jpg

...and so are in the rear which are solid. Note Scorpion valve stem cap, another aftermarket add on.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-152.jpg

A huge scorpion decal covers the entire length of the roof. Its overdone but I have become used to it. In this old age, your college boy days are remembered.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-131.jpg

Character line across the beltline and ORVM aid aerodynamics. Wind noise is at times prominent though not always.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-132.jpg

Paint quality of FCA is as always top notch. Maintaining black is a nightmare. factory paint thickness is 120 microns. Eibach spacers lend a flush fitting match of the wheels to the body lines.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-109.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-110.jpg

ORVMs offer a good view angle of the road. Used to it since 2012.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-125.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-134.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 20:13.
sidindica is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 20:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to explore the sporty coal bin.

Its an dark world inside here. Black, like the ghosts of evil dinosaurs representing a solid one piece layout of an austere fortress. You have an in your face dashboard, complete with old fashioned design elements around it.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-34.jpg

In fact, there is lot of math around.
Lets start with the instrument cluster. It has a hooded arc, with 2 circles built underneath. Like two souls, in love with each other, covered with an umbrella over them. Come down, and a simple leather clad cover surrounds the steering wheel to mask all that naked bits and pieces inside. Pretty cool, eh?
The "in your face" steering remains unchanged, covered in the cheapest quality "so called" leather possible, and is, always, lovely to hold with thumb contours just placed at the right sides. The circle vents on the right feature air volume adjustment buttons, just and when you need an airy environment or you can even shut off the circulation when that "hoohohohoho" mood of chillness appears. The bottom right houses switches for "My car" settings, the headlamp levelling device for 3 levels of beam adjustment, and front and rear fogs for extra light during that foggy scary ghost night.
I like the fact that fit and finish has improved, but the Achilles heel of misaligned ignition console and horn pad gap remains...gotta get used to it, its forever.
There is now a coin holder under the MID buttons, and as usual, the MID features comprehensive display which has instant FE, average FE, distance to empty, average speed, travel time, passenger airbag on/off switch, auto locking on/off, speed limit warning setting buzzer, units for speed, fuel consumption, settings for date, time etc. No, the radio display does not come because of the new HU. That said, the MID can be viewed in 9 different European languages, like a swagger mode on always.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-33.jpg

Large in your face dashboard covers up a large part of the interior volume.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-36.jpg

The power cockpit. All black theme is austere, silver splashes lift some ambience, would have liked around the steering wheel buttons as well.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-17.jpg

International Spec Abarth Puntos had same pedals. Carried them from both my earlier puntos. At Rs. 12,770, they are expensive. Dead pedal is placed awkward and can cause ankle pains.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-41.jpg

Circular side vents have a silver surround. The airflow can be shut via adjustment knob.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-38.jpg

Ever familiar buttons of My car settings on the left, headlamp level adjustment in the middle, front and rear fog lamp to the right.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-40.jpg

Small coin holder to the right.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-42.jpg

Mute button and music volume buttons to the left...

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-43.jpg

...Track/radio station selection, source and BT control buttons to the right. Voice control deleted in touchscreen update.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-45.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-44.jpg

LHD layout is inconvinient, since my palio has RHD layout. Control stalks are durable and can withstand abuse though the look brittle. Light controls to the left, wiper controls to the right. No variable intermittant wiper provided. Rear wiper turns on when you have reverse gear engaged and front wipers are on. Both wipers perform full sweep after 3 seconds once the wiper washer is turned on and off.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-37.jpg

Power window switch placed too far ahead. All 4 windows have auto down, driver's side auto up, electric mirrors adjustable but not retractable. All switches are illuminated in the night.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-47.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-48.jpg

Middle vent cum diffuser houses a spectacle case. The lock that opens and closes it is made of horrible mechanism and can jam. Later cars had this lid deleted but I interchanged with my erstwhile diesel Punto. A new one costs north of 8k.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-54.jpg

Soft touch open and close glovebox.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-56.jpg

Illuminated and decent size. Shelf above pops out to store the manual and other documents. not cooled.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-58.jpg

Red coloured original Abarth Document holder. Stop staring, please.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-59.jpg

Dated looking ACC panel we are all used to. Upgraded AC is very effective, though not as good as the Palios.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-49.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-50.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-51.jpg

Gear lever has gloss black top with black leather stitched insert. Boot gets contrast red and yellow stitching. Only one small drinks holder. Panel switch is dummy and used to fill up the hole since its a linea console.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-13.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-31.jpg

Front doorpads made of hard plastic, house a 500ml bottle holders at the bottom and have durable fabric inserts. tweeter and speaker housings (6.5") complete the design. Silver finish door handles break the monotony.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-11.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-12.jpg

Rear doorpads have nothing to store, and house similar size speaker housings. 5.25" coaxial comes from the factory, 6.5" can fit with ease.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 22:19.
sidindica is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 22:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to get cocooned around.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-21.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-25.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-24.jpg

The front seats, feel more deep and cushy and have better underthigh and lumbar support, perhaps because the seat themselves are different with three layered materials. The H point at rearward is higher and the height adjustment range is more from what I have noticed. Legspace remains good, with a 5' 10" person easily be able to stretch his legs completely. I normally drive with front seats fully pushed back, so this helps. Not to be mistaken with the weird pedal placement which are so close to each other, or the high set dead pedal which is made for evil ankles. Plus, the placement of power window switches-too far ahead remains weird. They still think we are chimpanzees.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-15.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-16.jpg

Seat height adjust has good range. lever feels very brittle.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-104.jpg

Unique netted fabric is hardwearing.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-27.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-28.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-10.jpg

Someone, in the helm of marketing affairs, became friends with rear seat seekers and worked upon to provide an extra air vent, placed in the middle, in addition to the foot level vents which were already standard, and improving the rear seat width and overall comfort and cushioning. Still, the overall contours feel flat and not deep enough, though, the H point has been redesigned for better thigh support. The seats split 60:40, so luggage carrying or shifting extra items shouldn't be an issue. But, legspace remains terrible at minimum levels. Any person sitting behind me will have to crouch his leg and bear the pain for the atrocities he has committed in the past, or take the area behind the co driver seat to avail any additional space. Thankfully, all 4 head restraints are adjustable, an important factor from safety point of view, and so does the rear seat metal back.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-6.jpg

Rear AC vent with front centre elbowrest. can hold a full size bottle.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-7.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-9.jpg

Foot level vents on the left and right, respectively.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-52.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-53.jpg

Armrest and birds eye view of the console. The elbowrest is not movable and I would have preferred something like the 2009-2014 Linea.

Booty spaced

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-117.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-118.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-121.jpg

The load carrying area remains unchanged, and you need an acrobatic move to load luggage from the high set loading sill deep into the boot. Its wide and deep enough, but competitors do have bigger boots. 2 full size suitcases, or 2 strolleys and 2 bags, you can adjust accordingly.

The car has 2 half a litre bottle holders on front foor pockets, just designed like an afterthought. and a pop out bottleholder behind the rear AC vent, and a single one next to the gear lever. Airbag has deleted the second glovebox which my oldest car had, and an extra coke can holder has been stolen by Fiat in the facelift which my oldest car had ahead of the gear lever. Foolish fellas.

I do appreciate the fact that Fiat has upped the overall interior ambience WRT quality quotient and should no longer be a deal breaker. Though, at many lower half places, that outdated plastic texture and lack of upmarket grains does make its presence felt.
sidindica is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 23:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to scream "ICE, ICE, baby".

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-60.jpg

My car has a prehistoric for namesake touchscreen system, with physical button surrounds for ease of usage. I was given a plastic ka danda to operate the screen and it also comes with a supplementary cable for IPOD.

It plays music from:
  • Radio
  • USB
  • Aux-in
  • SD card
  • Ipod

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-61.jpg

All sources are displayed here. Its a 5" resistive touchscreen. Needs getting used to.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-62.jpg

radio display

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-92.jpg

Settings for radio

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-93.jpg

The equalizer and volume is only for namesake. No mids, only bass and treble. Stock speakers give up easily.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-94.jpg

Unique arrangement for balance and fader

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-95.jpg

The option for "general settings" asks for a pass-key. Its universally the same, that is press "eight" six times.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-96.jpg

Unlocking it unlocks these options. Nothing worthy though.

Maps by Map my India

The stereo comes from a factory SD card having GPS maps by mapmyIndia with no OTA or free updates. I got only once updated from their Okhla office and haven't found it worthy. Google maps is full generation ahead.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-89.jpg

Type your destination here and it searches from available data.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-82.jpg

Simple 3D maps with not so exciting graphics to speak of.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-90.jpg

You have the option to switch to 2D as well...

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-91.jpg

To make it appear like this.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-88.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-87.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-84.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-83.jpg

Below are the various settings that can be used to caliberate your GPS and its software version.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-105.jpg

Yes, this is the official Abarth 16 GB pen drive (original merchandise).

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-107.jpg

Which, looks like this while fitted.
sidindica is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 23:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to zoom, and vroom.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-164.jpg

Its a heart worth showing off.

Yes, its a familiar T jet engine, which has been doing duties of various Fiats across the globe. Its an old engine, with some modern tech like twin camshafts, 16 valves, yet its a bolt on turbocharged powertrain with no fancy tech like VVT, dual VTVT, GDI etc. Heck, even its block is made of cast iron though the head is all alloy.

Its a very refined engine though, at idle, its extremely silent and has no vibrations. The strong engine mounts contribute to its factor as well as generous insulation.
The motor displaces 1368 cc and is force fed by a bigger IHI VL 38 turbocharger and generates a peak power of 145 bhp and peak torque of 212 nm. The engine, though good and fast, suffers from extreme heat dissipation and high IAT problems.
I got the intercooler upgraded to Forge Motorsport as well as intake to forge intake kit and the difference is day and night.
While in summers, the stock motor struggles with performing in mid range and top end, the uprated intercooler and intake make a lot of difference to the eagerness and make it breathe and rev freely. I haven't got any chance to log the IAT post the IC change but felt that low end is considerably better. The stock turbo starts spooling at 2200 rpm when its torque band is generated, the bigger IC helps to mask the lag to a good extent. This also results in better fuel efficiency since the engine doesn't feel strained at all.

The stock intake was located behind the headlight facing downwards, another recipe for poor breathing capabilities. The forge also has a replacement mesh type performance air filter which produces an addictive intake growl and this makes the engine breathe considerably freely due to its top location.

I got the car remapped from Quantum Tuning, and with the filter and internals, it makes a claimed 177 odd bhp in crank with 280 odd nm of torque. The low end has become even better, but the mid range band is plane amazing.

Remapped T jets always have amazing torque spread and this helps in the way the car drives. We did multiple vbox runs and the car can do 0-100 in 7-7.2 seconds. We plan to log again in winters properly to get a gist of its true acceleration capabilities. The engine has insane amounts of torque and this is aided by known torque steer and inadvertent wheelspins the car makes on stock tyres. Though I have mastered to handle the power with minimal spins, there is always that occasion when the hoonigan mode of the car throws its dirty picture.

The first gear is short and tops at 40. Second gear is again a bit long but maxes out at 90-93 kmph. A taller second gear would for sure have knuckled out a second off the 100 kph timings. Third gear is devastating and the car can do from 30-150-160 kmph with ease. The rpm band being 1700-4500. In fact, 4-4500 rpm is the best to upshift, though if you insist to take it to 5000, you can, it revs freely to its 6700 rpm redline but its absolutely of no use when you have all that torque at your disposal. Turbochargers are here to stay and having low and mid range torque is their forte.

Fourth and fifth gears are mostly overdrive and meant for highway cruising. The remapped car can climb flyovers on 4th gear as well at 40 kmph.

The car can hit in excess of 215 kmph provided full safety precautions and open road is available to do but with speed restrictions and cameras everywhere, its a once in a blue moon occasion.

The gearshift remains vague and rubbery, and even though I am driving Puntos since 8 years, it still feels the same. Once the car crosses 50000 kms it becomes a bit lighter. The Bonalume short throw shifter does aid quickshifts with short throws and eliminates play in the lever at idle.

I would have preferred the international model's 6 speed GB perhaps to extract the best out of it. yet, in terms of rupees for performance, having a reliable and fast MT petrol hatchback car, the Abarth is still untouched.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-165.jpg

Abarth gets thicker padding with extra foam underneath. there are 4 pieces of foam. Forge sticker aftermarket for enhanced looks.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-166.jpg

1368 cc fills up the bay well. Oil filter is located downwards behind the fan, making it change tricky. Changing the oil filter in the T jet is an arduous task and takes 60-90 minutes.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-167.jpg

Forge intake kit makes breathing considerably easier.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-168.jpg

Bigger IHI VL 38 turbo.

Kitna deti hai?
  • There were at times, I have extracted as low as 6 kpl in city with AC, and also 13-14 with sane driving.
  • On highway, with same driving, it can go upto 17-18 kmpl. Though once in a blue moon, 20 kmpl is also achieveable.
  • On my daily driving, I see 11-13 kmpl.
  • Driving with 99 octane returns 10-15 percent better FE due to the engine performing overall better with higher octane petrol.
But then, this car is impossible to drive with a feather light foot. the reason why, I have STEG speakers around.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th September 2020 at 23:38.
sidindica is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 23:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to chuck her around.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-153.jpg

Ride and handling:

This is one of those last old school era cars to have pure HPS as standard. The steering from todays standards is complete opposite and perhaps, dynamics take precedence over ride comfort and features.

A combination of long wheelbase, lowered GC and wider track (30mm on front and rear due to spacers) would for sure make it a supremely stable car on highways, the car sitting on lowered eibachs cannot ride as well as the stock suspension setup. Bumps and undulations are felt but the shock absorbers make it up with compensating for a decent ride. Its not excessively bouncy but bearable. A friend who has cobra springs has given of better ride comfort though I will share a comparison shortly.

Coming to handling, the steering is as accurate as it is but is on a heavier side. fast and aggressive cornering if you are looking for, either you need to have strong biceps or used to the skill of handling heavier cars. The feedback no doubt is amazing, but a fast-turning-on-supertight-corners car this isnt, say something like smaller sized cars with well tuned EPS can do.

Alignment issues are a known gremlins with Fiats and its only a competent tyre shop can get its alignment right. Post installation of forge motorsport underbelly subframe brace, the cornering prowess has improved considerably. having full sized front and rear anti roll bars help in completing the wonderful driving experience.
The continental MC5s were grippy and amazing tyres with superb wet weather traction. Recently, I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 205/55 ZR 16 tyres and improvement is immediately apparent. Wheelspins are amazingly well controlled and its AA traction rating makes it extremely grippy around corners. More as I rake up the kilometers.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-161.jpg

Brakes:

The anchors are the best part. I don't feel the need to upgrade to Brembos/EBCs atleast for now since the OE rotors and pads give stupendous braking capabilities. Do understand that repeat hard braking tends to fade the brakes quickly and a dirty smell from the pads can be felt immediately.

The good thing though is that the pads can last better than the diesels though at a pair of 6.7k for rear and 7.5k for front, they aren't exactly cheap. I just finished my rear pads at 24000 kms.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-111.jpg

Note Eibach forged 15mm wheel spacers specced with japan racing bolts to improve stance and handling.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-149.jpg

All round anti roll bar and eibach pro kit lowering springs make the car superbly hugged to the ground. Note the subframe brace ahead of the mid resonator.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-163.jpg

underbelly portection made of cast iron. Known rust gremlin but tough metal. Much needed to protect the engine and gearbox.
sidindica is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 00:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to take care as a parent.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-124.jpg

My car has been maintained and serviced since beginning at landmark workshops only located around Okhla, Moti Nagar and Gurgaon. In fact, what's important is how well you build a rappo with their team of SAs and Managers and store managers. Since day 1 I have been very happy with their service and have peace of mind. There have been occasions when the dealer had supported for unforeseen warranty claims when FCA was denying its faults.

I have done all the three free services till date.
  • First free service, at 5000 kms, changed the oil with Selenia K 5w40 and associated filters.
  • Second free service at 12500 kms, this time I used the Abarth 10W-50 oil and found it to be a waste of money. The difference was not much and I felt that the car was not running well in low end. Thicker oil to blame?
  • Third free service at 20,000 kms, swoitched back to 5W 40, the car runs better.
I noticed that the car consumes approx 200ml of oil every 7500 kms, though post the third service, I havent noticed any oil consumption issue. Its normal for high capacity turbo engines to consume oil and I keep a regular check.

The oil costs 2.3-2.4k and filters (except air) cost in the ballpark of 1.3-1.4k. Service labour is Rs. 2165 which I feel is reasonable.

What I do not like is Fiat's recent schedule changes of making fluid changes compulsary at 30000 kms instead of 60000 kms earlier. The two year capping remains but I always feel that the petronas fluids are amazing quality and can last longer. Also, with no extended warranty, short fluid change intervals I think don't make sense.
Having no extended warranty is a very bad move on FCA's part and this can cost them their loyal customers dear.
The standard warranty is 3 years or 1,00,000 kms whichever is earlier.

Another war-aunty in the making?

I hope so not. My car has been built again in FCA Ranjangaon where QC is not in their dictionary it seems. Not the assembly, but the part vendors have been badly chosen.

List of warranty replacements:
  • RHS Elastic pad-1
  • parcel tray-1
  • Touchscreen stereo-4 (very bad lot of stereos)
  • LHS fog lamp housing-3 (funnily the red paint came off while washing the car normally)
  • RHS fog lamp housing-1 (same reason)
  • Both taillights-once (LED guide failing/fogging)
  • Third stop light-once (mysteriously stopped working)
  • Middle AC vent diffuser with spectacle case-twice (the lock jammed)
  • door check-front right-once (noise)

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-150.jpg

A good experience so far but patchy quality.

Last edited by sidindica : 26th September 2020 at 00:32.
sidindica is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 00:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to explore her other traits.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-114.jpg

Full length LED Light guide first car in its class. Looks smashing in the night.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-108.jpg

Not the widest of the IRVMs around.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-102.jpg

Plain economy grade driver side sunvisor

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-103.jpg

Passenger side only gets a vanity mirror and no cover or light.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-101.jpg

twin cabin lights only in front, upgraded with LEDs.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-119.jpg

Toolkit bag placed above left wheel arch.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-120.jpg

full size spare wheel. Last cars came with these as standard. Unused MC5 tyre.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-139.jpg

Headlamp sweptback angle almost near the A pillar. This trend of design out to go out.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-115.jpg

The boot is electrically openable. However, the area to insert your fingers atop the bumper to open the boot (gap between the bumper and lower half of the boot opening) is horribly narrow and its a challenge to properly open the boot. Never faced this issue in my previous Punto Evo.

Last edited by sidindica : 26th September 2020 at 00:31.
sidindica is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 00:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Additional mods and accessories and goodies

Accessories and mods added post purchase over the months:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-127.jpg

Mopar original tyre valve caps of Scorpion (TMC Motorsport UK)

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-116.jpg

Deelife solar charged wireless TPMS-INR 4K (Aliexpress). Also sourced YI dashcam from Aliexpress-INR 4K.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-35.jpg

Forge Motorsport intercooler Upgrade-Autopsyche-INR 65K

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-87.jpg

Eibach pro kit lowering springs-Autopsyche-INR 24k

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-90.jpg

Bonalume short throw shifter-Autopsyche-INR 16K

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-88.jpg

Quantum remap-INR 22K, Forge Intake Kit-INR 26k (both from GT Tunerz)

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-91.jpg

Eibach forged aluminum wheel spacers-INR 28K with bolts-Autopsyche

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-85.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-86.jpg

Forge motorsport subframe brace-INR 15K-N1 racing Mumbai. Fitted DIY.

Audio:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-92.jpg

Steg Audio ST 650C components

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-93.jpg

Steg Audio ST 650 coaxials

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-94.jpg

Vibrofiltr damping on doors and boot
Total cost: INR 31K, done from Driven and Billionaire Minds

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-89.jpg

Original Abarth keychains (TMC Motorsport UK)

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_143725.jpg

The original International Abarth Safety Kit. Came from Desira parts UK.

Contents of the kit:

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_143843.jpg

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_143835.jpg

Work gloves

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_143937.jpg

Warning triangle in dedicated packing which can be placed upwards

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_144249.jpg

Safety Lightstick

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_144314.jpg

Reflective jacket with abarth logo

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_151622.jpg

Placed the OE warning triangle in its dedicated packing finally

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img_20200925_143316.jpg

Also, a special 70th anniversary key ring which came with it
sidindica is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 01:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

You live only once, to narrate the final story.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-138.jpg

Its this evolution of the ever changing needs of the automotive society that has made us the need to want more. To aim for more, to dream big, to achieve more. To aim to go, higher and higher. Its this evolution that keeps us involved with the latest and the greatest of things. But, behind this greed and lust to do nothing but the best, we are ignoring our past, the glorious days of some amazing machines our country has seen and soon forgotten in the lost pages of history books.

Today, if I go back to the history, I will openly feel proud that my garage has two machines that defy the rules of this country. two solidly built, fast, big engine, crude old tech raw fun to drive hot hatches. One, which was India's first MT hot hatch, and one which was India's last 1.4 MT litre turbo hot hatch.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-158.jpg

The pleasure of driving a big engined car with a manual remains unparalleled. And in this world where touchscreens and sunroofs and relaxed manners rule, they have no value. Its because we want cars which are carputers, have soulless driving dynamics, have downsized engines to control emissions and efficiency and in a greed to match the ever tightening emission norms, pure driving pleasure has vanished. One can for sure make a fast car in a straight line, one can for sure make a car which has insane torque and returns high FE, but at the cost of driving nirvana?

Are we in the midst of an identity crisis? Sadly, yes. and living in Delhi, where you have the looming devil of NGT, hell bent in killing well maintained old cars, this is a sad reality.

Those days will never come, when cars were about high revving petrols, big engined growling monsters, slick shifting gearboxes, no brakes which tested your skills, matching heel and toe techniques and the overall emotional connection it made to the drivers. which gave them a smile as wide as the line of equator.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-151.jpg

Today, these cars have vanished. And those few who have them, are treasuring them to treasure their finest moments of life. I hope that both my machines, the last of their kind, will survive the apocalypse and some sense prevails in the government to let us enjoy the true automotive culture.

Automotive culture is all but missing. Everything post COVID has changed this world forever. Car meets, car groups, cargasm, car culture will be different forever, there will be a disconnection within a connection. Its a tough world this, where we are living in the midst of an automotive conundrum. The pandemonium has resulted in all mediocre cars being on sale across the country.

To those people who have the legacy of driving yesteryear cars, carry on.

Because, in this world, you live only once.

Once, because, its not every millisecond, second, minute, hour, day, month and year you get to explore your inner instincts and establish emotional connections with your machines.

A motor car is like your moody girlfriend. Attractive at first, often throws tantrums, but is an expensive attachment you cannot get rid of.

Living with a car is like a story in itself. One can go on and on writing stories, but after a period of time, these stories become a part of our everyday lives, due to the emotional relationships we build with our machines. Take good care of them, and be rewarded, time after time, with new chapters that make on new stories.

Today, we are hanging at our destiny of conundrums.
Yes.
Its we, that started it all.
We started the car groups.
We made car friends.
We made the car culture.
And we made automobiles as a hysteria to be proud of.

The world is a mad place to be in. But when we have a mad family of mad thinkers who think automotive everytime, its our best times we spend, and these times make for some more stories, stories to be cherished, lived, documented and watched again and again.

I can go on and on, but, perhaps, at this stage, its time to take a break. Stories of motor cars and cargasm, living at this stage, close to our hearts, buried into the lost pages of forgotten history books.

The stories, by the people, of the people, for the people, for us, the steering isn't just for holding, its for holding on.

You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories-img-101.jpg

Because, you live only once.

--CURTAINS--

Last edited by sidindica : 26th September 2020 at 01:30.
sidindica is offline   (132) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 04:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2020 at 08:57.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks