Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: You live only once - The Fiat Abarth Punto! A story, beyond all stories

Super thread there Siddhart!

You have kept your car pampered and it shows. Both the Palio and the Abarth are in top nick. They are probably one of the most recognised cars in our automotive circles.

As a fellow Abarth owner, I resonate with a lot of what you have mentioned. Our cars are one of the last of their kind out there. It's going to be pain to find their replacements

Cheers.
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Great write up truly un-biased. A lot of Fiat owners dial down the problems with their rides but you have well documented everything clean.

I have had a Palio GTX for few years and sold as I was a little irritated with the repeat niggles of a 17 year old car. However, I felt a 2002 Fiat product was much better in certain areas compared to those which were released 15 years later.

Black is not all that difficult to maintain is what I realize after bringing a black beauty home. Timely detailing and a decent care keeps it shining. Its all about how the detailing is done, to me. Have you done some paint protection? The mirror finish on the car is surreal.

Happy to see people like you still buying such nice cars - the thought of not having proper support or good garages makes it a deal breaker for me (especially down south, though we have Murugan to take care of Fiat vehicles in Chennai).

Wish you miles of smiles - enjoy the car; you only live once!
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Those days will never come, when cars were about high revving petrols, big engined growling monsters, slick shifting gearboxes, no brakes which tested your skills, matching heel and toe techniques and the overall emotional connection it made to the drivers. which gave them a smile as wide as the line of equator.

Today, these cars have vanished. And those few who have them, are treasuring them to treasure their finest moments of life. I hope that both my machines, the last of their kind, will survive the apocalypse and some sense prevails in the government to let us enjoy the true automotive culture.

To those people who have the legacy of driving yesteryear cars, carry on.

Because, in this world, you live only once.

Once, because, its not every millisecond, second, minute, hour, day, month and year you get to explore your inner instincts and establish emotional connections with your machines.

Because, you live only once.

Excellent write up and great review. Loved your presentation.

Fiat Abarth Punto was one of the most desirable cars on Indian market. Sad that it is discontinued now. A couple of weeks back, BHPian Pferdestarke posted a thread on his Abarth Punto DIY detailing (A weekend warrior's venture into the world of comprehensive detailing), I was just admiring the clean lines, timeless design and finish of the car.

Nothing comes close to old school cars with pure hydraulics and big displacement engines. They are a pleasure to drive. I honestly don't like these new fancy touch screens, digital displays, sunroofs and other bells and whistles.

I love the sound of engine, turbo spool, exhaust note, hydraulic steering and bigger displacement engines, they will never get exhausted and can be driven at 2k rpm all day without stressing the engine. (like modern downsized 1.0 turbo petrols). Wish you many more happy miles on your car.
WhiteSierra is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Its this evolution of the ever changing needs of the automotive society that has made us the need to want more. To aim for more, to dream big, to achieve more. To aim to go, higher and higher. Its this evolution that keeps us involved with the latest and the greatest of things. But, behind this greed and lust to do nothing but the best, we are ignoring our past, the glorious days of some amazing machines our country has seen and soon forgotten in the lost pages of history books.
Sorry but it was a complete TLDR for me.
I would get rid of those hideous red decals and paint job around bumpers, but maybe that’s just me, but overall nicely put and your passion shows.

Mod Note - Please quote only relevant bits of a post.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th September 2020 at 13:35. Reason: Mod note attached.
scorp 1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:43   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on getting One of best hot hatches left in the market now. Very nicely done up and accessorized. Do share some of your driving experiences too.
urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Written like a true blue enthusiast. Unapologetic but frank about it's shortcomings and very clear that it's tremendous strengths are what you bought it for.

I did dally with a purchase before picking up my RS but decided I couldn't live with it's shortcomings. Performance cars also have their character and the lack of decent low end and the turbo lag was something that I did not enjoy. This and the lack of other features that detracted from it's use as a daily driver family car.

If anyone wants to pick up an Abarth, this is the thread to read. It clearly details the joys and the heartburn that the ownership of such a car involves. Such cars are only sustained and enjoyed by the enthusiast in you.

Perfectly maintained and the car looks like a million bucks. As you said a motor car is more than A-B transport for a lot of us irrespective of brand and it shows in your write-up.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 26th September 2020 at 13:19.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice ride there! And that Palio in red looks mint. Brings back memories even though I only had a 1.2 ELX.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 15:56   #23
BHPian

What an excellent write-up and drool-worthy pictures. Thank You for sharing these.

I always wanted to own the Punto Abarth / Avventura Abarth. I did enormous follow-ups with Fiat India in related to that in 2017 but somehow nothing was materialized back then and finally, I gave up due to various reasons. Even today when I see either of these rare cars on road, it always made my head turn and I always regretted not having one.

You have really kept your car exceptionally well. And in this era of BS6 such real driver's cars will be sorely missed. It's not just about the power or transmission but also the way we connect with the car and the feel it gives you.*
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 17:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review and amazing pictures!

I have had a 200 km experience with the Abarth Punto. Loved redlining it and changing gears at 4.5-5.5k rpm and boy oh boy, the car was a dream to drive.

I haven't driven anything else that stuck to the road like a leech, no matter what triple digit you took the curve in. Infact you can shame cars that cost thrice as much as the Abarth on the highway.

While I enjoyed every bit of the experience, I couldn't help but notice the fuel needle rapidly moving back towards the Empty Obvious, because I did 200 km in 2 hours, while 30 km of that was inside city.

As you have reiterated several times in your review, You only live once!

And with the car like the Abarth Punto, it makes it worthwhile.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th September 2020 at 17:13.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 17:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Forge motorsport subframe brace-INR 15K-N1 racing Mumbai. Fitted DIY.
Boy, this is as comprehensive as an ownership report can get!!
Very tastefully done up car. Loved it!

I had a question though.. This sub-frame brace, what is the reason that seemingly simple strips of SS and some hardware costs so much?

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Su...uct--998.html#

Quick search on ForgeMotorsport's website shows that this thing costs about £61 (Still high IMO). What is the reason for such a high mark up of almost 200%? This can be fabricated for a fraction of the UK price, using the same alloy mentioned by them, with no difference in quality as well..

Being an enthusiast in India seems that it's not meant to be in everyone's reach ...

Again. A superb car, Sid. Wish you a lot more fun with your scorpion!! My rant aside, I can imagine the grin this must put on your face as its the same my jtp gives me, despite the the frowns from time to time!!

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 26th September 2020 at 17:22.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 18:46   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Nice thread, Sid. Here is wishing you many more years and miles with the two excellent examples of yesteryear motoring that you have.

I had a few questions :

1) can you list the gear ratios of the abarth punto gearbox, including final drive ? I want to know how different they are w.r.t the t-jet. (MJD v/s Tjet, even though it's the same C510 GB, some of the ratios like 1st and 5th are different)

2) The two chassis braces - of course they will improve handling and make the car 'tighter' ; is there any penalty in terms of ride comfort ?

3) When you changed the springs to eibach pro-kit, did you change your stock OEM dampers as well ?
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 19:33   #27
BHPian

Oh Wow!
5 Star thread indeed.The upgrades you did in this is spot on.
Recently i spotted a white Abarth in Chennai and it is a sure head turner.

Wishes for more miles with this hell-boy.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:41   #28
BHPian

Amazing Review. Indeed a legendary car.
pritanshchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant write up!

Your Abarth truly shows dark can be extremely bright

Loved the looks and the way you’ve presented it!

Keep driving and stay safe!

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 14:57   #30
BHPian

Great review, it's always good to see an Abarth Punto!

Most people would never understand, but I'd rather drive cars like these despite their shortcoming than any of the new cars available today.

I have been following you on Instagram and I can't help but admire how much effort you put into maintaining your cars and keep them as close to stock in terms of their appearance.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks