Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 11:19   #46
BHPian

well yes and no. rear seat on both cars are the same and you feel no different in any of them.
c class has a little more torque but its still not as involving to drive as compared to the 3.
the 3 costs a little less and has the next Gen C Class features like the fully electric seats with 2 stage memory, electrically folding mirrors, i Drive with TV function, 225 section run flat tyres, XENONs.
C class for the 50 plus rear seaters, 3 Series for Enthusiasts (age no bar)
Old 25th March 2008, 20:44   #47
BHPian

BMW would have found a customer in me only if they had offered the 3 with a manual tranny.I am just wating for a few months until Merc sorts out any issues in the new C.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:59   #48
BHPian

there are no issues in the c class at all...
the only issue is that its just not better than the beemer, never was , and never will be...
Old 11th April 2008, 17:18   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
there are no issues in the c class at all...
the only issue is that its just not better than the beemer, never was , and never will be...
I'd agree on that statement wrt to the old C Class. However, the new one has a more powerful engine, bigger interiors and class-leading ride quality. The only area where the 3 series leads is in its driver-oriented handling.

Care to quantify that statement?
Old 12th April 2008, 02:23   #50
BHPian

Am told by MB that they are bringing in a few C280's in May.

That should give the BMW 3 series some serious competition.
Old 12th April 2008, 10:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd agree on that statement wrt to the old C Class. However, the new one has a more powerful engine, bigger interiors and class-leading ride quality. The only area where the 3 series leads is in its driver-oriented handling.
I beg to differ.

The 3 series also offers more VFM as it has class leading features packed in.

Yes, the BMW does get hit when it comes to ride quality due to RFTs but if a buyer has a big problem with that he sure has the option of fitting regular tubeless. If you exchange brand new RFTs, you could get the best tubeless tires in the market at no extra cost.

BMW did tweak up their engines to deliver more power after the new C launched, so i am not sure if the power difference is much, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Am told by MB that they are bringing in a few C280's in May.

That should give the BMW 3 series some serious competition.

If the C280 CDi comes out, BMW will launch the 325d which will be a stonker !

Likewise if they launch the C280 petrol, BMW will bring on the 330i(although i hope the 335i comes ) which will again be a rocket !

It's a never ending game, all it does is raise the bar and offer us better engines, finally !

Last edited by Sahil : 12th April 2008 at 10:29.
Old 12th April 2008, 16:39   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sahil,

I'd say the 3 has more than met its match in the new C. It has a far better back seat, as well as ride quality that is in a different league altogether. To most people who are spending 30 lakh rupees, thats pretty much what they are looking for (in addition to the badge value).

Even as an enthusiast, I'd pick the C over the 3 for one reason only : The 6 speed manual transmission. The 3 may handle better, how many of us are drivers good enough to exploit the 5% differential in handling? I am willing to sacrifice that advantage for the manual tranny. But then, that may be only me?

Quote:

Yes, the BMW does get hit when it comes to ride quality due to RFTs but if a buyer has a big problem with that he sure has the option of fitting regular tubeless. If you exchange brand new RFTs, you could get the best tubeless tires in the market at no extra cost.
Sure, you can change the RFTs, but I'll tell you there will only be a handful of 3 series owners who even bother to make the switch. Even then, there isnt space for a tubeless spare, is there? Without the wheel well, how much sense does it make to carry a full size spare on an outstation trip with the family, and thus a loaded trunk!
Old 12th April 2008, 18:35   #53
BHPian

I agree with GTO. Before buying my new C, I looked at the 3series extensively. The interiors of the 3 cannot be compared to the new C. Plus the ride quality was really terrible on Bangalore roads - Frankly my 10lakh 2 year old Optra has better ride quality.

I agree that MBIL can give the DVD/TV screen as an option atleast. But they are the market leaders and I guess they have the luxury of making some extra bucks.
Old 12th April 2008, 19:31   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr21 View Post
I agree that MBIL can give the DVD/TV screen as an option atleast.
More importantly, they must offer full-electric front seat adjustment .
Old 14th April 2008, 12:08   #55
BHPian

You actually dont even have to compare it with the optra ride, alto had better ride than the 3 series too.
but the '08 model has changed it all. its got a comfort suspension, which might not be as comfy as the C, but it wont kill your back too.
A MERCEDES BENZ 2008 model in which you got to fold the mirrors manually is something i cannot digest. So i agree with SAHIL on that count as the bang for the buck factor is way ahead of the BMW. Its time that MERC gets beaten on its own game.
Old 14th April 2008, 13:42   #56
BHPian

@doctorque: I agree that fold-able mirrors and electronic seats were missed out on the C class.

But I don't mind sacrificing fold-able mirrors (even if the mirrors are folded, bike/auto walas still come and hit it) for a comfortable ride and decent back seat space. I have not seen the 2008 model, but AFAIK I don't think there were any upgrades to the interior quality and seat space.

I can't imagine the look on a not-so-great car enthusiast when he find out he needs to almost fold his legs and sit in a 30 lakh car!

Also the new C engine specs have made it right on par with the 3 series. Not to forget that the C comes with manual gear box (remember 95% of people who buy vehicles in this segment with go with the auto gear). Full credit to MBIL for offering the manual.
Old 14th April 2008, 14:20   #57
BHPian

@ xtr21 : buddy you seem to be answering yourself.
1. 95% of people who will drive the C auto will drive it on the generations old 5speed auto.
2. And what is it about space that we are talking about. the difference in space in both cars is so less that it can only be measured in nanometers.
3. Interior might not look as good, but the quality is top notch.
i thought bhpians look at cars as per an enthusiasts perspective, but the commuters have out numbered the drivers around. anyway
(the MBIL btw bought the C 1 year after its international launch. needless to say BMW launches their cars everywhere at the same time.)
Old 14th April 2008, 15:13   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. 95% of people who will drive the C auto will drive it on the generations old 5speed auto.
Generations old ? It lacks a 6th gear thats all which is not necessasy in our driving conditions
Quote:
i thought bhpians look at cars as per an enthusiasts perspective, but the commuters have out numbered the drivers around. anyway
why don't you respect people preferences, some like mercs, some likes BMW's some like Amby's. Let it go!

Quote:
the MBIL btw bought the C 1 year after its international launch. needless to say BMW launches their cars everywhere at the same time.
BMW brought their cars 3-5 years after launch!!!! Actually the Merc came in 6 months after the RHD launch. You need to remember the car needs to be homologated, then pilot production needs to be ensured. BMW is a purely screwdriver operation at present.

Doc - if you hate Mercs so be it, but it seems to be dominating your argument. Yes, globally, Mercs traditionally have been 10% more expensive than the equivalent BMW. Price reflects what people are willing to pay (means we are suckers in India, I am sure you would sell whatever you could at the highest price).

One thing to note w202, w210 excepted, a lot of old mercs keep running. You rarely see old BMW's once their electronics fail

I like both cars, period, it is individual choice, one cannot go wrong with either
Old 14th April 2008, 15:41   #59
BHPian

@ajmat, doc

Regardless of which car offers more features, I think this competition is very healthy. Merc should feel the pressure from BMW/Audi and start offering atleast 1 free service!!
Old 15th April 2008, 17:58   #60
BHPian

@ Ajmat : I respect your unbiased opinions on both cars, but dont truly agree with everything you say as thats my individual choice. Not just out of Choice, its also because of my love for the BMW brand.
But i also have something more to say, give them a few years and they are going to rock in INDIA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks