Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 21:53   #1
BHPian

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner

NEW TATA SAFARI - PERSPECTIVE OF AN OLD SAFARI OWNER

Good cars come and go. But only few go on...to become icons

Preamble Note: The Official Review of the 2021 Safari is up and running on Team BHP. If you're looking for an objective review of the car, that's the thread you need to look up. This thread is purely my personal perspective, as an old Safari owner considering the New Safari. This is an honest effort to scrutinise the new, through the windshield of the old. Some points may echo with fellow safari owners, as we sit at the same height. This may also provide the rest of the world with some perspective as to why many old Safari owners raised pitchforks when the Gravitas got slapped with a safari badge. And somewhere, it may, perhaps, shine a light on how this generation is an inevitable departure and areas where it is an improvement over the outgone.

THE Tata Safari

There are few cars in India that command the kind of attention, respect and cult status like the Tata Safari does. When the old Safari stands discontinued, everyone wants a Safari in their garage and are singing praises and fables, few bought it when it was available. But to truly understand where it all started we need to wind back the clock to 1998.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-screenshot_20210228231659.jpg
(To read the full mag article click the pdf attached at the end of the post, Car&Bike International, January 1998)

Tata launched the Safari, as the first Made in India 4x4 SUV in 1998. The Safari completed Telco's trident "Si-Su-Sa" (Sierra'91, Sumo'94) The Safari was launched at a whopping 8.25 lacs, back then (This is 1998, Petrol was 23 Rs/Litre) And people still bought it. The SUV was a breath of fresh air above the din of small cars flooding the market both home grown and from overseas. The Safari with its contemporary European lines, tall stance and roomy interiors instantly identified it as an aspirational SUV. The 4x4 badge and hardware, coupled with generous ground clearance completed the off-road package. It was even exported to the UK in the subsequent year.

The name Safari was never meant to be the mass market cash cow for the company. It elevated Tata's stature, just like the car, to a new high. The Safari was not cheap, it was not built to cater to the masses. If it did, it wouldn't have been the icon it is today. It was solely and squarely pointed at a particular kind of discerning customer.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-safari-evolution.jpg
Credit: Infographic by CarDekho

Tata Safari, as the name unmistakably suggested, was sold with the promise and potential to go anywhere, in style, and people bought into that narrative. At this point, we need to convince ourselves that even though the utility and the exploitation of the 4x4 capability of this vehicle may not statistically suggest a large proportion of its sales over the two decades and four generations it won the hearts of people - the 'go anywhere, lifestyle SUV' was its core identity, its raison'd'etre. I cannot insist enough, how integral the 4x4 trait of the Safari is, to its very existence, so for the lack of a better superlative - This is how God willed it - Safari 4x4. And every Safari has lived by that code till date.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-tatasafarilegacy.jpg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-screen-shot-20210514-3.44.34-pm.png

Popping the hood of the first generation Safari, riding on 15" radials, we would find a 2 litre Peugeot turbo diesel XD88 putting out 90 PS and 186 Nm. Today's Safari boasts twice as much of those figures, rides on bigger wheels and even lets you see the sky while you drive. Is that enough?

Tata Safari 2021

In this season of vaccines, Tata has also got a shot in its arm with the launch of its newest flagship, the Safari '21. The New Safari has received a lot of traction in the market and our forum, especially after the Gravitas was rechristened the Safari, at the last moment (don't try Tata, we know). It's a good three row car and seems to tick a lot of boxes for a lot of folks.

But there's a small problem. I am still not able to refer to the Safari'21 without a prefix or a suffix. Maybe in a vain attempt, to somehow differentiate it from that legendary Safari. Speaking of which, we must remember that the legend of Safari was not made in a day. It was built, like all stuff of legend, slow and steady by the old Safari owners, like this author, who put big bucks on a taxi brand and brought home a Safari and kept it on the road, despite more popular options that flew off the shelves. There was this feeling of unintentional exclusivity which brought us Safari owners together, and on the roads, we were the only ones who saw eye to eye, quite literally.

The Safari was never a handler. It was not a fast car. It had a tall floor plan riding on relatively narrow tracks. It was heavy, very heavy and could give you a heart attack if you dare attempted a lane change at highway speeds. Safari owners would tell you their wage but never their mileage. Simply put, it had enough reasons going against it.

My ownership review of my Kumki is here. And I urge you to read it, or go ahead and read any other Safari ownership thread, to understand that the tag transcends the tangible.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-report.html (TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report)

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-dsc_1512.jpeg
The Kumki

Before we pit the new against the old, the traditional summary :-

Pros (over the Old Safari)

+Engine (Segment Staple 2.0 FCA diesel motor)
+Automatic Transmission Option
+Front Facing Third Row
+Lightest Safari. Ever.
+Safety tech and features.
+Sunroof. Big, Panaromic
+Updated and contemporary tech - HU, iRA etc.

Cons (over the Old Safari)

-No 4x4/AWD Option
-Remains an Unrated GNCAP Safari (Inexcusable for '21 at 25)
-Lacks the towering Road Presence of the Old Safari
-Ground Clearance, rather Ground Near-ance
-No match for the 'Second Row Sofa' - width, height and comfort of the old bench.
-Lacks unique identity to be unmistakably a Safari.
-Impractical white interiors
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safari1998.pdf (1.73 MB, 653 views)

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 26th May 2021 at 20:47.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:54   #2
BHPian

re: New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner

WHAT'S IN THE NAME?

We have to address the elephant in the room before proceeding any further. Please allow me to rant about the issue of nomenclature. When the Gravitas got called the Safari suddenly, the world had only two kinds of people left- (1).People who didn't mind it and (2) Old Safari owners.

There is much chatter justifying Tata's ownership and right to deploy the Safari nameplate which the company wholly owns, into any product of their choice. The company has been lauded for the masterstroke in milking the emotional quotient and brand value of the name at the opportune moment to push the Gravitas into the market. I agree and so will not challenge the legality of the move and laud the marketing acumen of the team, which has paid off good dividends in terms of sales, probably unimaginable with just a 'Gravitas'.

But isn't Tata morally obliged to accord a more responsible treatment towards that beloved tag.? Before you jump off your seats quoting the obvious again - that Tata is free to do what it likes to sell what it sells. Markets need money and if it makes invoking the recall value of an old marque why not? So what if it's just an extended Harrier, why not use a well known name on a modified version of an existing car?

Then why not this?

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-2019marutisuzukixl6reviewdrivingmotion660x4401.jpeg

The Suzuki Grand Vitara '21
The All new Premium 3 row SUV from Suzuki.
Japanese Samurai Pedigree.
Katana sword design to bleed your eyes if you stare too long.

Ground Clearance : Unknown ( Just like Safari '21)
AWD: No.(Just like Safari '21)
Safety Rating: Unrated.(Just like Safari '21)

Or this?
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-suvinspiresuzukiignis.jpeg
Original Image Source: Motoroctane.

Suzuki Gypsy King '21.
The All new Small SUV for the urban wanderer
Snorkel?: Yes
Works?: No.

I'll clarify again - Calling the Gravitas as Safari is definitely not incorrect, but we wish they treated the product behind the name more responsibly before slapping an icon on its nose.

With that rant over and the weight off my chest, let's throw the prejudice behind the third row and proceed with objectively analysing the new Safari for what it is.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 11th May 2021 at 10:37.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:51   #3
BHPian

TATA SAFARI 2021

Ever since the Safari 21 was launched it has piqued my interest solely based on its name and its automatic claim as the successor of my current ride. So I've been meaning to put it to test whether it can indeed replace and upgrade my current ride- the outgone Safari.

I have been in the hunt for a worthy successor for my Storme and it's proven to be quite the task, unless you upgrade to a full segment up - the full size premium D2 SUV. I have discussed that segment threadbare and put up my findings here.(Note: Its got some interesting trivia and rare engine maps included.)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-shootout.html (The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout)

For what it means to me, and to many others like myself, I took the time to analyse and write this thread on the new Safari. A simple test drive and a hasty write off cannot do justice to the weight of the Safari. So I spent quite some time with it, thanks to my close friend Mr D., who trusts me implicitly in matters of wheels and was kind enough to let me live with his brand new Safari for some time. My observations in this thread are the result of the several days of time I spent driving his car (and another TD Automatic variant) within the city, in traffic, night drives, sunroof utility, highway drives etc. Some Background on my friend Mr D.- Our two families went for a trip to Jaipur from Delhi, when he was visiting us, on my Safari a couple of years ago and he was thoroughly impressed with the Safari, particularly its stance, the large glass house with all round visibility and the manner it minced the highway. He swore that day that he would buy the next Safari, and now, years later, he did. He brought home one of the first Safari'21s in Chennai. I had given him the pros and cons in full text, and had let him decide about the car and the variant. As an owner, Mr.D's first hand experience inputs are also intertwined into this thread, as I interviewed him about various titbits of ownership, to get a new owner's perspective.

He went for a White XZ+ Manual 7 Seater.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-safari_front-rt-qtr.jpg

Let's see how Safari 21 stacks up against the older generation under various attributes.

External Dimensions, Road Presence and Looks

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-screen-shot-20210118-11.11.16-pm.png

A numerical comparison of the 2021 model with the old gen, will immediately show how the newcomer is wider, longer and rides on a longer wheelbase. This width is without any sidesteps mind you, while the old Safari includes the width of the sidesteps in the numbers reported. The height is the one attribute where the new is trounced considerably by the old Safari. And visually this is the first let down, when one sees it in flesh for the first time. I felt the same when I first saw the Safari 21 - "This is too small to be the next Safari" Let me substantiate this claim.

The height of the older models always made them stand out. The height translated to the visual 'towering' appeal which was uniquely a Safari trait. It meant that the older safari dwarfed many bigger and longer cars on the road giving that oh so often stated 'King of the Road' monicker. I've attached some photographs of my Storme benchmarked against some popular SUVs below. See how the longer and bigger Endeavour is dwarfed by my Storme because and only because of height. If you feel compelled at this point to interject -"But the height affected the dynamics and induced body roll and it was a technically correct decision to lower the height of modern SUVs like the Harrier twins" then you're missing the plot. We never bought the Safari to carve corners, we savoured the ponderous ambling down the road.

So that's why we find this dichotomy in popular opinion regarding the road presence of the new Safari. While many people (understandably owning/upgrading from hatch/sedans and CSUVs) have hailed the Safari 21 with adjectives like 'sheer road presence', 'looks massive', 'dwarfs the Innova', old Safari owners are on the other end of the spectrum scratching their heads saying- "Nah, this looks one size too small". This is the difference in perspective, this thread specifically tries to highlight.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-img_6797.jpeg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-stormezendeavourz.jpeg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-dsc_1552.jpeg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-2021tatasafarivssafaristrome21536x905.jpeg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-2021tatasafarivssafaristrome1.jpeg
Image Source: Gaadiwaadi.com

In isolation however, the Safari 21 has all the makings of a modern SUV. It has the ΩArc Platform and Body Style that reminds us of the claimed pedigree from some angles. It looks fresh and contemporary and is well proportioned compared to its sole segment competitor (the MG Hector twins). The rear tail light cluster is sleek and well executed, however it does invoke some dejavu. The SUV concedes to the modern design lines in stark departure from the boxy signature of its predecessor.

I'm personally not a fan of the trend where the headlight moves down to the bumper, I hated it in the Harrier, I continue to hate it in every modern SUV coming with this abomination of a design. And it seems to be the headlight's placed in one of the most impact prone locations.But this seems to be the 'modern' way ahead and we'll have to live with it. In the context of the Safari all these large glass bits placed around the car, make the car seem more 'fragile' when compared to the old Safaris which practically invited abuse. With the old Safari, I was confident in taking it off the beaten path, or dipping it through some slush or wading through small streams without batting an eyelid. The new Safari, constantly reminds me to be more careful, lest I scratch a headlight or bump a bumper lip. In its transition to the 'modern' Safari, its lost its characteristic toughness.
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-ext_headlight.jpg

The chrome treatment on the front grille is ghastly and overdone on an otherwise tastefully, well-designed exterior. The adventure persona goes down as a more pleasing solution to the chrome onslaught.

Side by side with the old, the new one has tumblehome walls, sloped in windshields and overall looks much less of the upright Glass House that was the old Safari. The smaller and sloped in glass area makes the SUV appear more compact and forewarns Safari veterans that the inside might not be as spacious or airy as what they are used to.

I do not understand the form or function of the out of place plastic hairband ahead of the D pillar which supports the mirage of the stepped roof rail.
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-ext_plastic.jpg

If there is one overarching complaint against the new Safari's design, it is the total lack of differentiation from the Harrier. It might pass off as a family design language for any other car, but the Safari needs to be uniquely and instantly recognisable as the Safari and nothing else. Tata could have shown some responsibility and spent some effort and investment in this direction.

But credit where it's due: Kudos to the design team for continuing their "design led brand renovation", every Tata car on sale today has an impactful, par international standards design, and the Impact Design Philosophy is one of the few design languages that actually show on the products. IMHO, contrary to popular opinion, I think the Safari balances itself on the design scale even better than the Harrier. The size demands the length, and the attempt at squaring out the rear end. If the Harrier came later (as I think it should have) it would have been a nicely chopped Safari. The forebearer Harrier has done some damage to the Safari in that sense by forcing us to see the next Safari (blasphemously) as just a Harrier+, which it is.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-safari_rear-rt-qtr.jpg

Summary Story on the Exterior:

If this pulled up at a driveway in front of me for the first time, and you didn't tell me it was called a Safari, I would admire it as a well designed, well balanced car, looks premium and fresh, and think it would wear some international badge. Moving closer, I would be surprised to see its a desi Tata. Then if you whisper to me, that this might be the new Safari, I would say- No, the Safaris are bigger, boxy and more rugged, this is some new snazzy Tata flagship, this can't be the new Safari. Then you insist that you heard that Tata is reviving some old discontinued nameplate, and this is it. Then I would say - Look at it, looks like a comfortable family tourer, even has those nicely appointed captains (with the same fine Benecke Calicko stitching), followed by a spacious third row. Looks luxurious, Six Seats and a nice sunroof- This must be the new Hexa! Wow Great comeback Tata!

Interior Space, Ergonomics and Comfort

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-2015tatasafaristorme12.jpeg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-2015tatasafaristorme02.jpeg
Image Source:TBHP Official Review

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-safari-interior-driver-seat-view.jpg

The evolution of the interiors from the above pictures instantly conveys the giant leap that this generation is compared to the previous iterations. The interior is updated with latest tech, looks modern and fresh, and the layout looks very well appointed at first glance. For old Safari owners who are used to single DIN and analog bits, this is a spaceship. This is very much 2021 and very neatly executed.

The front console in black and brush looks all well put together, until your eyes catch the center screen, and the digital instrument cluster. The quality, colours and resolution of these optics, somehow make them stick out as a cost cutting sore thumb in an otherwise well laid out fascia.

It's loaded with safety kit and its brochure is positively reassuring for this old Safari EX owner riding with nil airbags. I will never excuse the 25 lakh SUV being sold off without crash test ratings, especially by a company which is the self appointed torch bearer of safetyin the market.

The fact that the Safari'21 does skimp on important features like wireless charging, birds eye camera is a let down at its price point, but the comparison in this thread is restricted to the improvement over the old Safari, the Official Review has discussed features vis-a-vis competition already.

The brushed aluminium and black treatment contrast well with the plush, lush white interiors. The car looks upmarket and luxurious with this colour trim of upholstery.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_whiteinterior.jpg

But this choice of colour is unpardonably impractical (as much as i love it new) for a family tourer SUV. It's going to be a nightmare or a terribly OCD activity to maintain it like new - years, heck, even months into its usage. To add to the woes, even the hand rests on the doors are white and are going to be smudge magnets eventually. The white interiors are plain silly. I checked out the adventure persona's beige, it's better, but no saint either, will still take work in maintaining. Between the two interior options, if I were forced to choose between these two only, I would bite the bullet with the white. It makes up for the extra work in terms of the airiness and luxury quotient it brings to the cabin. It is still a silly option.

In terms of storage, it looks like Tata took it upon themselves to provide as many cubby holes, in as many shapes as possible in the cabin. There are all sorts of open/closed cubbies and cupholders and bottle holders. Old Safari boys who are used to simple large buckets on the doors might lose things in these million cubbies. But they do help in extreme organisation with a place for everything from beverage to biscuits, and mobiles to maggi. Doors also have a flat mezzanine for second row passengers to park their phones. Exposed USB sockets look shabby and spill inviting. A simple rubber protector would have helped immensely. I still miss at least one large 'throw in anything' bin coming from the habits of the old Safari.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_cubby.jpg

The JBL system sounds excellent and perfectly complements the acoustics of the cabin. I could spot the difference listening to even simple FM stations in comparison to my Safari's humble speaker setup.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_jbltweet.jpg
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_jbl.jpg

If you want to know that this is the new Safari, you need look no further than the familiar switches. Lifted straight off the old Safari, these are a case of 'why fix, if it ain't broken' philosophy which ends up looking mismatched in the quality spectrum of the interior appointment. There are too many examples that remind you of the old Safari.
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_tswitch.jpg
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_switch.jpg
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_familiarsimilarswitch.jpg
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_familiarswitch.jpg

Few switches feel flimsier than others, and do not feel tactile or durable. I would not bet money in these lasting very long against regular, enthusiastic use.
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_swithcquality.jpg

Coming to the seats, the driver seat and co driver seat are both better contoured than the older model. The second row bench is wide and comfortable. But while there is a feeble attempt to mimic the Stadium seating pattern, the bench is no match for the second row Sofa of the old Safari, in height, support, legroom or cushioning. The second row of the old Safari was the happiest place for passengers, and I have fond memories of the few times I've allowed someone else to drive , to spend some time back there. I even tried out the Captain seat version. As much as it looks comfy, the best Captains still remain the chunky Hexa's. The Boss mode from the second row is a nifty little trick which is a small cost, great impact addition.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_bossmode.jpg

The Third Row is something to write home about. So we will.
The third row of the old Safaris were side facing jump seats which were nothing short of namesake. I have ferried few friends for city trips in those seats and a few others for small out of city day picnics , with all seven seats loaded. Needless to say, they don't talk to me anymore. The jump seats did liberate an insane amount of space when folded up, which made the SUV a great 5+2 rather than a 7 seater. I have moved household across cities multiple times by engaging the flatbed configuration. Even with the rows folded down, the flatbed of the '21 is no match for the cavernous volume that the old one liberated.

The third row of this Safari'21 in contrast, is unarguably the best offering in the segment, as far as three row SUVs go. It's not a sprawling comfortable place to laze around for hours together, but it's not a place you deliberately relegate your distant relatives to either. It's even got a blower control which makes the third row occupants feel suddenly empowered. I teared up a bit in my eyes when I saw dedicated blower controls and cup holders and even AC vents specifically for the last benchers, who have traditionally been punished by elitist second row occupants. If you pushed the second row ahead, you liberate just enough space to keep a six footer like me from spitting out expletives at the driver (check the difference between split seats pushed ahead in picture below). I've taken the (longer) Endeavour with 7 onboard and I would rate this third row better than the Ford in comparison.
I find the access to the third row also far more forgiving than the yogic flexibility that few other cars in the segment demand from third row prisoners. This one is a very good solution to third row access for most people. (Note: However, the quick one tug tumble and flip of the Fortuner remains mindbogglingly elegant ).

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_thirdrow.jpg
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_foldandtumble.jpg
New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_thirdrowrespect.jpg

The position of the AC vent blowers, however was literally on my face and also blocks view from the already tiny quarter glass. The USB port exposed, again looks half baked.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_acduct-face.jpg

The gains in best in segment legroom and real estate in the third row, means there is an obvious hit taken by the luggage space with all rows up. This is very paltry even for small every day shopping bags. I guess a compromise was made in favour of third row space over luggage space. Whether it's a deal breaker depends on individual use case. I reckon many buyers who are convinced with this Safari otherwise, would complain and mumble about this boot space, but wont break the deal on this account alone.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_bootspace.jpg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 26th May 2021 at 21:31.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Driver's/ Driving Impressions - Living with the Safari 21

I graciously accept the key and proceed towards the car to do a walk around. I can't reiterate this enough - Carmakers! Please pay attention to the key fob. Its the car's calling card and represents the car everywhere off the road. Make it a statement, not a boring piece of common inventory amongst all your products.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-vfm_key.jpg

I flip up the bonnet and have to hold it up as I struggle to engage the lever to prop up the heavy bonnet. My old Safari was a breeze and a one hand operation thanks to the hydraulic struts. In this new one, it's a two man job.
I also find the window wiper area collecting leaves similar to the old Safari. My wiper motor had to be replaced just because of these debris collecting up there and clogging the drain system. I see a similar problem here. These area would have to be kept clean and foliage free regularly.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-driv_hydraulic.jpg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_windowwiper.jpg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-ext_binnet.jpg

Nice to see some nifty covers for the batteries, but have to be careful with those rubber screw caps, easy to drop it into the bay. See one missing already.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-driv_batterycover.jpg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-driv_engine.jpg

I drop the hood carefully and proceed to the door. The moment you open the door (updated Safari with keyless entry, request sensor et al.-fancy!) , you realise you don't need to haul yourself into the driver's seat by climbing onto a sidestep, you simply slide into the seat. I found it super convenient to get the sweet spot thanks to the electrically adjustable seat.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_electricseat.jpg

Once I was in the seat, the first feeling of 'sitting in' the driver's seat compared to 'sitting on' I'm used to with the old Safari. The view from the seat is quite different from the old generation, and you have to make some effort to look over the console and the bonnet to see the road. In the old Safari, you characteristically sit atop and look down all the way to the end of the bonnet.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-driv_view.jpg

Looked around, and I found the walls tumbling inward compared to the straight vertical walls that boxed you in the old Safari. The front windshield and the rear windshield offer smaller glass areas and the slope of the A pillar cuts off the vantage point of the corner visibility. The sheer number of pockets, nooks, crannies, and buttons, and screens further make the cabin busy and for a moment I missed the simple pleasures of life that the old Safari offered.
The feeling of unhindered space that translates to freedom was the quintessential Safari, and if you are used to that, it won't take much time for you to feel faintly claustrophobic (in such a large car). This intangible mindspace restriction is immediately evident for old Safari owners and quickly consumes your psyche. I fail to find words to accurately describe that feeling, rather the lack of it, but this is not how a Safari feels when you take the wheel.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_whiteinterior.jpg

I regain my senses, remind myself that the old gens are long gone, I reassure myself that this is the modern iteration and we have to live with this to evaluate it objectively. Switched on the engine (forget turning keys to crank engine like a neanderthal) and instantly notice a much more controlled NVH from the motor. My Safari generally shakes the gear stick, my seat and the world around to let me know that the engine is running. This one spared much of the drama and the vibrations are controlled to a great extent.

Slot the gear to one and the car takes off entering into the dangerous phase of 'proof of the pudding is in the driving'. I quickly make for the main road to join traffic, and the car's size is no problem for old Safari veterans. I steal a few moments to get used to the lower viewing perspective and the electronic parking brake which engages if you misjudge clutch bite and stall. I learn the ropes quickly and proceed to give some aggressive inputs to the throttle.

The steering at slow speeds is painfully heavy, somehow doesn't feel like its part of this expensive SUV. I've my forearms worked out without complaint in my years with the old Safari, but this '21 is heavy and feels so unrefined, against the treatment you expect when you are driving a costly flagship SUV. Pick up speed and it gets manageably better. It's obedient and loyal, stays true for the most part otherwise.

Reversing the car is helped much by the Rear view camera. I would have really liked to have a birds eye installed considering the cost of the car. The minimum would have been a front camera at least. The screen is low resolution and looks dated and doesn't belong in this car, but it does the job. There are a whole lot of other features bundled including iRa which is a giant leap in terms of tech from the old Safari.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_rearcam.jpg

The lower gears have no delay or lag but the city mode was bordering on buzzkill as I felt the car was not sharing my enthusiasm. Dial in the Sports mode and it pastes a grin on my face. Yeah, this remap is suddenly, feeling alive. I did not even bother with the eco mode.

The terrain response dial was inviting . But being a brand new car of a friend, I did not punish the car off road and try the rough road mode. Mr D tells me that it worked fine when he was in a bad section in the Kodai hills. Other owners can chime in regarding the effectiveness of the electronic ESP wizardry.

The mid range is meaty and the motor is happy in this zone. Smooth power delivery ensues as long as you respond appropriately with the MT stick. It took a lot of time for me to learn the shift points of the stick and even then I couldn't do much justice to the motor to keep it boiling. Maybe if I spent weeks behind the wheel, the stick would become my limb extension. I found the clutch action lighter than the old Safari though.

But, the AT in contrast was a league of it's own and I find the 1.25 lakh difference a worthy premium to go auto. The AT is good enough to even make manual purists cross deck if they take back to back test drives. The FCA 2.0 MJD married to the Hyundai TC is a match made in heaven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	driv_engine.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2160471

I get a open stretch and let the Kryotec 170 loosen up, The engine goes about its task effortlessly. It shows its refinement and goes about pulling without much din, the engine and the insulation are a vast improvement over the Varicor of yore. Cutting across traffic, is easily executed and the car feels more in control than the old Safari which always carried some inertial memory with it. Overall, the city manners, are better with the new Safari. If you have to drive to work everyday, the nice seat contours, sweet JBL and the engine autobox combo with an occasional sport mode burst should kill the boredom of daily commute.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-driv_heatandsound.jpg

As you climb higher though ,we do hear the diesel letting its presence known ,rather rudely with engine noise seeping in. At highway speeds, the engine whistles away and we cruise effortlessly. You can breach the ton quickly enough, and stay there all day. Here, I'll make a personal but controversial observation - at highway speeds the Varicor pulls so much sweeter than the FCA2.0. I don't know, if it's the higher displacement despite the lesser power of the Varicor 2.2, it always felt more happier and comfortable once it settled down in the highways. I would still rank the Varicor, even with that 5 speed box the better triple digits maker, than the new combination. While I feel more confident in the old Safari, the new one did make me feel more safer at highway speeds. The old Safari's body and height and power delivery somehow always reminded the driver of its caveats and the steering would discourage you from doing something silly. The new Safari's steering at high speed is feathery and suddenly fools you into believing that you're driving a much smaller vehicle. Its far too light for my liking and for this car. Zaps the confidence out of you at speed, and makes you feel disconnected with the car.Carrying speeds around corners are better off in the new Safari, than the old (speeds relative to big burly SUV standards, that is) If there's a facelift or refresh, the steering needs a re-tune desperately.

I talk to myself, like I do often on highway drives, saying that the Safari is now built on a new platform, a monocoque, so the Ride and Handling are going to be rewarding compared to the old ladder frame . I argue that they went through all this trouble to create a new Safari that would literally run circles around the old. I expect a plush ride that's going to make me forgive them giving up the rugged ladder for a car-like experience that this monocoque should beget. Probably the high expectations draws itself a halo of prejudice and the edgy ride becomes very apparent. I take on speedbreakers with the same style and strategy I throw the old Safari into, but the new one shows its edgy qualities. I try to reason if its the larger tires , or incorrect tire pressure and check the TPMS ( ooh gadgets! ) and all seems well. But the monocoque SUV does not make me go gaga at any point, (unlike, how the Kodiaq's monocoque does against the Endeavour's ladder frame- that's a worthy trade off). Ruts and puddles were felt in the old Safari too, but there was a casual attitude with which the behemoth dismissed those, although nowhere near the benchmark Tata Hexa. Here in the Safari 21 , you will feel it through the seat and on your butt. Maybe behaviour would be better with all passengers loaded? I can't say but I'm mostly alone in the old Safari too and so that's the most direct comparison I can give you.

The crisp soundstage of the JBL keeps me company and then I decide to break the fifth wall. Flick the sunroof open, and ample light seeps in and the ambience is lifted instantly. My family on later drives, comment that this is a great time pass for passengers and kids alike to look up through the glass -a new perspective. I love driving through tree lines and the green hue seeping through the roof into the white interiors. It's a refresh to the whole cabin. I've heard many folks argue against the necessity of the sunroof in hot and humid India, but I find these valuable moments when it uplifts the ambience by simply opening up the heavens above. Something like tree lined streets, Rains and clear starry nights are so much more enjoyable with a sunroof. I don't like opening and letting the heat and air in though. I'm okay with a fixed glass roof too. Its not vital, but certainly desirable on my wish list.
(Note: I request sunroof fitted folks to enjoy the view from within the car and not let your kids or yourself poke their head out of a moving vehicle. I see a lot of night drive families zipping past like that and it's plain dangerous)

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-int_sunroofcool.jpg

Pricing and Value

So we reach the all important question of bang for buck.

I've mentioned elsewhere in other threads how steeply, the prices of cars in this segment have skyrocketed over the last decade. I purchased my Safari for about 12.8 lakhs on road, back then. Today, when I look to switch, the Safari'21 asks twice as much!

At 25 lakhs for the top variant on road, the Safari is an expensive car. No two ways about it. Tata has gradually built up its design led brand renovation and today you find lesser people complaining - "25 lakhs for a Tata!?" Tata slowly and steadily, has built up its credential to finally plonk a flagship at 25 big ones without raising many eyebrows. But is the flagship VFM?

In my opinion, the Harrier was, and is overpriced. And as a logical extension, the extended Harrier is also overpriced. I think it is comfortable in today's world based on initial euphoria of the 'Safari' comeback and also because of lack of credible competition except the MG, which a section of the market refuses to touch based on sentiments. The Scorpio and the XUV are both awaiting update and so the first mover advantage solely lies with this Tata.

The Fortuner has steadily pulled the D2 full size SUV segment with it, further north every season and therefore widening the gap above this segment, and with the lack of alternatives, we are forced to pay up big money for what's on offer.

When the XUV (7OO) comes, it would bring in a whole new world of tech and features, and as much as the marque is known for disruptive pricing, the market situation and the name 7OO hints to me, that it perhaps would creep into the Darien gap I've shown below for the higher variants.
For me personally, is it worth to buy this Safari at twice the cost? I think, as good a car as it may be, a preowned Endeavour at the same ball park would be more value and apt upgrade from my Old Safari.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-screen-shot-20210511-10.18.46-am.png

VERDICT

The new Safari seems to tick most of the right boxes and offers a good family tourer if you're looking for one. It has just enough oomph and bells and whistles to pass off under radar of creature comfort seekers. Presently for the next few months at least, it's the only real desi player in this segment and would enjoy first mover advantage. The prospective customers those who are upgrading from a hatch or sedan to the SUV segment, this SUV comes as a great package with stunning SUV looks, good engine gearbox combo and the bragging rights and satisfaction of finally owning a childhood dream - Safari.

The new Safari is for the new Safari buyer.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-vfm_size.jpg

What about existing Safari owners looking to update their Safari garage with a new one. Like, this author? The very question this thread attempts to answer. Well the original pull for the Safari/Storme against the better specced XUV was always for the unique traits that the Safari was known for and those were exactly the traits, few of us brought it home for. The discerning Safari buyer wouldn't have cross shopped an XUV ever, and on the other end, the XUV buyer would have not even considered the utilitarian Safari. These were two different subsegments of automobiles within nearly same price segment.That line between the two has been blurred with the launch of this new Safari.

Today we face the same dilemma that sprouts up whenever a cult icon from a niche is pushed into mainstream by the company. Just like the Bullet did, when it went mainstream, this new SUV has made the 'Safari' accessible to a larger mainstream populace. And to do this, it had to give up the very traits which made it a Safari in the first place.

Except for that plastic hairband behind the C pillar vaguely reminiscent of the old Safari, the new generation is a departure in every sense. It's monocoque. It's built on a totally new Platform. It's loaded with tech, almost a spaceship compared to the barebones no nonsense old gen. It doesn't have a 4x4 variant. Doesn't stand tall and tower over the road like the old Safari. It's modern and sleek and is a design tangent from the boxy lines of the old.

Understandably, there is only so much that Tata could've improved on the old gen platform after decades of exploitation, and any expense or effort in that direction in 2021 would have been too little too late and frankly in vain.

Then this vehicle, is perhaps then the unavoidable way ahead for Tata in the pursuit of the modern automobile, that's a full size family SUV. And it has already sold well in its first year of launch, so the market has spoken.

It's a great three row SUV, a fitting XUV 5OO competitor, a comfortable family tourer, a manageable urban SUV daily driver, but it's not a Safari. It had to be called the Safari because it is not lost on us that indeed markets drive the makers. No one is immune.

The Rover company which started making utilitarian, off road capable boxy Land Rovers have slowly grown to make high end luxury SUVs. Land Rover have introduced two-wheel drive variants, both of the Freelander and Evoque, followed on by 2WD Discovery Sport, after having built exclusively 4WD cars for 62 years! So introducing 2WD variants for sustenance is inevitable considering prices and volumes. But could we imagine a Land Rover lineup with only 2WD hoping to sell large touch screens and sunroofs?

For the readers, I leave you with this thought experiment - The metaphysics of identity, the ship of Theseus is a thought experiment that raises the question of whether an object that has had all of its components replaced remains fundamentally the same object.

It is supposed that the famous ship sailed by the hero Theseus in a great battle was kept in a harbour as a museum piece, and as the years went by some of the wooden parts began to rot and were replaced by new ones; then, after a century or so, every part had been replaced. The question then is whether the "restored" ship is still the same object as the original.

If it is, then suppose the removed pieces were stored in a warehouse, and after the century, technology was developed that cured their rot and enabled them to be reassembled into a ship. Is this "reconstructed" ship the original ship? If it is, then what about the restored ship in the harbour still being the original ship as well? Which is then, the real Ship of Theseus?

Which is then, the real Safari?

Write your own verdict.

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-screen-shot-20210222-7.33.26-pm.png

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 26th May 2021 at 21:49.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (106) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 07:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today .
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 09:23   #6
BANNED

Wonderful set of comparison Vignesh, read all the lines, and read between the lines too. Would like to share my experience too over this topic of what has changed:

What the Older car still does better?
Better set of Seats, all round. The front seats of new Safari hug you, the older one had comparatively flatter set of seats, but better thigh support and cushioning. Hexa seats are no doubt, the best, older Safari had the close second. In new Safari and harrier, I miss the thigh support adjustment, it's a small item, but makes a difference of two worlds in long distance driving comfort, in older Safari or even Hexa, I could live without that, as the seats themselves were good enough

Older Safari never had the front facing third row, because there was no space to fit one! First they gave massive legroom in middle row, then they gave a seat with miles long seatbase - that stuff is awesome, but it takes space! Hence Safari was always a 5 + 2. But then, even in the new Safari, 7 people can't go for a long trip, where will they keep their luggage?

Glass Area - All round Visibility: If you had to talk to an XUV or Innova owner, you could notice that they are seated 4-5 inches lower than you. The door armrest was never the usable armrest, window sill was the armrest in reality. Everything used to feel like it's set very low - including your own car interior. And that used to keep mischievous guys like me happy, I used to bulldoze while taking U turns by braking only when the Safari used to get too close to the passing cars, we always knew exactly where each front corner of the car is.

Suspension: It was a soft set up. One may call it Land Rover pedigree or even if you get it from Rolls Royce. If it's a simple McPherson Strut, then I will choose the double wishbone any day over it. Until the McPhersons have the assist in any manner, be it variable damping or maybe through air, they simply can't meet a double wishbone. Just see how older safari, Hexa, heck, even the front end of a Marazzo simply takes the bumps. If it's a 2 tonne vehicle, I need those rugged wishbones with a moderately tight setup - they are always a bliss at higher speeds. Call me old school, or call me outdated - DWB is DWB, only air assist can better it, a McPherson strut at least can't.

That was still an SUV: Newer one is just the nameplate, older one was capable too.

What the New Safari does better?
Feels Modern: Older Safari never felt modern, Tata simply missed the bus in properly updating it. The new one is loaded with features

Proper Highway Machine: Yours is a 5 speed Varicor 320 Vignesh, that's the reason you find it more responsive in 5th gear on highways. The 5th gear is shorter, and hence makes the car feel more responsive. Newer Safari is definitely blessed with better high speed stability and cornering ability, tighter set up with a lighter body certainly helps.

The taller gearing and more powerful motor makes the overtaking an easy exercise. In older Safari, you needed to plan the overtake even if the car ahead of you was an enthusiastically driven Swift DZire, no more an issue now - touch the accelerator, flash twice, and move ahead.

Dynamics: Biggest of the Achilles heels of the Safari was high speed braking behavior and the post-maneuver correction at high speeds. Well addressed now!

Greta won't cry: There is a straight away difference of at least 25% in the FE. The conditions in which the older used to give 10 kpl, this will give 12-13.

Will I buy a new Safari? Probably. Not a fan of panoramic sunroofs, for everything else, it felt like a well appointed offering which offers enough of the ease of driving.

Last edited by VKumar : 27th May 2021 at 09:26.
VKumar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 10:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

There is something called Character, you don't get that by adding two seats to a Harrier which has its own character and should have been left alone as a premium 5 seat crossover.

As an 80's kid, this is not a Safari to me.
Kosfactor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 10:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Safari is a marketing masterstroke. Period.

Every old Safari owner or fanboy can only look at the Scorpio with envy. Only scoop pics, no reviews whatsoever and didn't even sit on/drive the new one. But you can pretty much say with confidence that the next gen Scorpio will be a vast improvement over the old one without losing the core attributes. That is how a generation change should be done. No amount of flimsy plastic can recreate a stepped roof. Had a hearty laugh when the marketing material kept on saying that the new Safari had stadium seating for the 3rd row in legacy of the old Safari.

The body construction/drivetrain arguments aside, the least they could do was properly differentiate. Changing the rear suspension hardware would have made a sea of difference. Atleast could have made the front end styling a different one. Maybe they should have launched the '21 Safari first in 2019, and then launched the Harrier as the cheaper, sportier version in '21. But then, we are talking about a company that changed the name a month or so before launch.

Spot on observation about the windshield cowl area. So bad that, a couple of days in a high range area and we had to scoop out fistful of foliage and twigs from the area. Party trick. Open the bonnet. There would be some sort of rubber bush/cap lying in the engine compartment. For the next half an hour or so, everyone would be peering inside to see where it came from or fits.

Regards,
A former Safari fanboi, now waiting for the next gen Scorpio.

Last edited by DicKy : 27th May 2021 at 10:40.
DicKy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 10:49   #9
BHPian

For me new Safari is like the product you get in the market with the name Abidas, and lot of people think that it is Adidas and buy it, (Even the logo looks exactly same ). This kind of effort will kill the iconic names and their ability in long run. Here in this case , Safari was not mere a model, it was a machine category. (Like the way Xerox was named to be for photo copying, SUV meant to be Safari in that age )
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 11:32   #10
BHPian

Except Duster all the monocoque I have driven lacks the smoothness and isolation. Road underneath always felt.

I haven't driven new Safari but driven Harrier. Since new Safari is extension of Harrier, ride quality should not be very different. Compared to the old Safari, it lacks smoothness and isolation of old safari.

Comparing old and new Safari is like comparing 'Apple with Oranges' as old Safari was in different league.

Last edited by IP_Man : 27th May 2021 at 11:33.
IP_Man is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 11:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well written, Vignesh ! And Thank you !

Having had the Storme for the past 8 years almost at the tonne in terms of distance covered, I can see where you are coming from. I have sat in the Harrier at the showroom, and was visualizing myself doing that when you described the part about sitting in - and feeling the claustraphobia, the walls caving inwards.

I have not done a TD. No plans to buy one, so why TD at all ? If I ever do, I think it would be pretty much what you say.

One thing I think I can use from the new Safari is the Terrain response system. I do go to places where there can be slush in monsoons, and this can be of use. Half a step up from a 4x2, but still short of an AWD or 4x4.

Will I buy one? I will know when I am in the market and want to replace the Storme. But dont foresee it anytime soon. Other priorities are there. And a distant thoughts of the future - EV vs ICE. When I buy, it could possibly also be my last car. Only time will tell.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 11:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Except Duster all the monocoque I have driven lacks the smoothness and isolation. Road underneath always felt.
Ladder frame vehicles by virtue of their construction provide better isolation. Road noise and vibrations are lesser. All mechanical bits are mounted on the ladder, so they are not directly connected to the cabin. A monocoque will need hefty amounts of insulation for the same.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 12:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Only future will tell if TATA unfortunately did a ' Estilo' with the Safari brand name.

Safari was the biggest sub-brand in their arsenal. I'm glad they used it - but the last minute execution, a design that looks a lot like an afterthought, the lack of attention to detail (leaving Gravitas trails in many places) and the softer FWD crossover positioning leaves a lot to be desired, especially for those who have owned or liked the original Safari.

Memers are not making it easy for the marketing guys are TATA!

A built to a cost Defender (it even looks like the original Safari from the rear) would just have been the ideal replacement for the Safari. But once bitten (I believe Harrier/Gravitas platform proved too expensive and made them compromise many other priorities like AWD/4*4) twice shy!

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-1998tatasafaridicorindiarearback.jpg

New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner-2020_land_rover_defender_90_81_1024x768.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2021 at 12:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 12:29   #14
BHPian

I took a brief TD of the new Safari last month. The interiors are impressive compared with my DiCor Safari. The engine came to life quietly but the diesel clatter was no better - I kept the window lowered. The drive was done in a pot hole filled road and the car absorbed the undulations in its stride. But I have to admit, my old work horse was better in smothering road undulations.

The steering was precise unlike the old Safari. But my main crib is - you are like every other car on the road in this - unlike the old Safari where you towered over every car. Pesky autos won't be intimidated in this avatar.

When the old safari appears in your rear view mirror - albeit briefly, you get a bad feeling and move aside to make way to the leviathan hurtling across. The sheer road presence was unmatched.
When I handed the keys back, I didn't even glance at the Safari 2021 - as my current ride is not going to be affected by the imposter. I have been driving Safaris from 2005 - from TCIC to DiCor. Finding a replacement is not going to be easy - I fear.
Prowler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 12:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

The nameplate was given for the gravitas only for milking the 'Safari' brand value and is a well known strategy by now. Besides that brand name was in limbo all this while and better to use it before fading into oblivion. To match the price points of the old safari, I have felt that the Duster can be termed as modern Lite version of the old safari. Although monocoque, it can take on some bad roads and does a pretty good job. For a full fledged upgrade from the old school Safari, the Fortuner or Endeavour are the right candidates.

If Tata were to stay true to the heritage of the old Safari by offering a ladder on frame chassis and proper 4x4 road mechanicals, the price point would have shot up and be a sales dud. Also it was not like the old safari was selling like hot cakes in it's later years. Lessons learnt from the markets especially with enthusiasts cars is that very few people put their money on them. A company cannot survive on such nostalgia alone and needs real cash to survive. All being said and done, I do agree that the current generation is a let down if you think from the perspective of the older generation. At best, approach it as a new car.

Last edited by TrackDay : 27th May 2021 at 13:01.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks