Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 15:35   #31
BHPian

Re: The heartbeat of BlackPearl | Land Rover Defender 90 Review

Congratulations BlackPearl.
That is a truly sumptuous beauty. Truly drool worthy.
Happy mile munchin' nay terrain munchin'
snappysam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:17   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for fulfilling your dreams! You have built up quite an enviable garage across the seas with some of the most iconic vehicles! Hoping you enjoy it to the fullest and we get to see some offbeat places.

On a sidenote, some people have to be content with copies
The heartbeat of BlackPearl | Land Rover Defender 90 Review-c3fd292fabcc4152ba3056b25eaa75c7.jpeg
Dry Ice is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 01:23   #33
BHPian

What a timeless classic! Congratulations, Sumitro, on owning an icon of British motoring. These Defenders have a road presence like nothing else on the road and have become extremely desirable.O have got your hands on a tastefully specced one in fantastic nick.

The Defender sure has its quirks, but that’s the whole charm of owning the damn thing! I am so waiting to see this in the flesh and to also take a picture of my Mini next to this beast - should make an interesting size difference

Speaking of pictures, you have taken some absolute stunners. Wonderful thread and brilliant pictures befitting a true motoring icon. Wish you many years of motoring pleasure with the Defender.

Cheers!
Praveen

P.S - we really need to catch-up soon!

Last edited by 51morris : 5th September 2021 at 01:25.
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 07:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is one of my dream cars! It's just so amazing that every design element is an icon : those 3 pane rear windows, scattered round tail lamps, roof windows, simple round lights on the front... Just EVERYTHING!

I was so disappointed that Force took away those 3 panes and tail lamps from new Gurkha.

Congratulations.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 06:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

That's one handsome Defender you got there. The grey actually suits the vehicle.

Were you unable to take the car for a test drive before purchase or was it restricted due to covid rules? I am bit nervous to buy anything without a test drive, even if pictures justify that the vehicle is in top shape. Some things just cannot be assessed or understood without driving the vehicle. More so, if it is a model of a vehicle you have never driven before.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:26   #36
BHPian

Every person dreams, but people who dare fulfil their dreams. Blackpearl your defender90 is a dream, but i had to settle with my gypsy. Congrats and hope you have sweet memories with your defender.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:16   #37
BHPian

Congrats on the new car!

I think Defender suits you better. So, just live the dream.
On a similar note, did you check the upcoming version of Force Gurkha?
ketan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:54   #38
Team-BHP Support

First of all, thanks a lot for the overwhelming response to this thread. I never thought people would really want to go through the ownership experience of an old Land Rover that was stopped being manufactured more than five years back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Great review of a legendary vehicle! Some cars may be old and have serious flaws, but still never look out of place today and remain as desirable as they were when they were first launched. This is one, the Countach is another.
Thanks Aditya. The first model car that I bought with my pocket money was a yellow Countach when I was in class 6. Strangely, I have never bought the model of a Defender till date. Maybe because I will never be able to buy the actual Countach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Looking forward to many rugged travelogues with this beauty!
Thanks vb-san!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Love that menacing colour combo too!
Thanks CD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congratulations, what a beautiful car. Looks in very good condition, must have been pavement princess
Thanks Turbanator. Yes it seems the Defender was not used much. Though I wanted to get a Defender to do some offroading as it would be a costly affair with the Range Rover Sport, but now I think I will not be able to take this Defender off the road. I have to find another car for offroading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
What a beautiful car and colour. Thank you for an excellent and exhaustive review - wishing you countless happy miles with your Defender.
Thank you Anoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
DRIVE SAFE and here's to thousands of happy miles!!!!
Thanks Indraneel Bhat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
Hey Black Pearl congratulations of your Defender!

You have got quite a nice garage now. A Range Rover Sport and a Defender. Really nice.
Thank you Eshan Joshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
Bit out of topic. My parents used to live near the Land rover factory in Solihull . They used to see new land rovers roll out every day (Including the Defender) . I am pretty sure yours would have come from the Solihull plant.
Wow, I have been wanting to visit the Solihull plant ever since I first came to the UK back in 2006, but that has not happened yet. Maybe I will book a tciket soon. Yes, the Defender must have come out of that plant. Its VIN number suggests the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
What is the experience with relation to taxes owning a Defender in London. I have read that London has some extra taxes for SUVs, cars that have C02 emissions over a certain value etc...does that impact you?
Thank you Shibu! The tax amount for the Defender is about £250 per year, whereas that of the Range Rover Sport is almost £600. I am not sure how these are calculated, but there must be some documentation on the UK govt website. The extra taxes that you are saying is I believe the ULEZ charge, ie. charge for driving the car in the Ultra Low Emission Zones of London. This charge does not affect me on a daily basis yet, as I do not stay in that zone. But I have to pay that amount if I drive to central London with the Defender or the Range Rover Sport. The problem is that the ULEZ zone is increasing from this October and it is almost touching the place where we stay. I have to move out to somewhere further in the future if I have to avoid paying the ULEZ charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar C E View Post
Loved reading your love story come true!
Wishing you many many miles and smiles with your beauty!
Thanks Sridhar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
This is literally the Gurkha of my dreams, may the Alchemist be alerted to weave this new story of demands and may the Universe conspire with aplomb to deliver it!
Thanks Trojan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
Congratulations on your beautiful vehicle BlackPearl. Wish you thousands of wonderful kilometers on it.
Thanks A350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Was looking forward to this thread since I saw the photos in the meetup thread. Are you still gonna keep the Range Rover for highway runs?
Thanks turbowhistle! Yes, the Range Rover stays. Rajsri will not let me sell the Range Rover. Plus it is a far better car for the highways, especially in Europe where the speeds are much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Nice & crisp initial ownership review. I know you mentioned somewhere else that you are not into too much writing when it comes to ownership etc. but you have to admit this time you have broken your own threshold of word count
Thanks JoshMachine! Yes, I got emotional with this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This review came straight from your heart! Never had an idea that our calm and composed Blackpearl can be this emotional! Loved reading it.
Thanks Samba! I am getting this feedback from my school friends as well after they saw this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Few days back, I was driving on the highway and saw this! Just couldn't overtake it, admired it from behind!
This one is growing on me as well. I am seeing quite a few everyday. Unlike the prediction made by the old Defender fans, this one is seeing a lot of buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Congratulations on the ownership and thanks for the brief history and a very nice overview of your buying experience. I can feel a very serious enthusiast of defenders. The example you got seems to be very well maintained and taken care of. Also the service bill is very reasonable.
Thank you carthick1000! Yes, the service cost is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Not only among defender owners. I have seen it here in NL between MX-5 owners too. Irrespective of which generation of MX-5 you drive, you get waved at. Of course it is a special and unique thing.
That is nice to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
The Defender is one of my dream vehicles as well. Wishing you many miles of joy !
Thank you sjcherian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
@BlackPearl congratulations on acquiring this legendary automobile! Wish you a safe & joyful ownership experience.
Thanks Nair.V8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakritij View Post
Wishing you a million miles and more of happy driving with it.
Thanks Prakritij!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkumar View Post
You said it. The looks are not retro, but ancient. But then who cares, it's still great. You mentioned that the steering is vague, I hope it is power steering. How about the brakes, are they good?. and does it weigh more than 2 tons?
Thanks sureshkumar! Yes, it has got power steering. The brakes are ventilated discs at the front and solid discs at the rear. They are quite good. The gross vehicle weight is more than 2 tons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
You pen them down so well and maybe because I know you and Rajsri personally, I can't help but picture them in my mind as I read along. All great stories and proof of your love for cars.
Thank you Altocumulus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysam View Post
Congratulations BlackPearl.
That is a truly sumptuous beauty. Truly drool worthy.
Happy mile munchin' nay terrain munchin'
Thanks snappysam! Don't know how much of terrain munching I will do with this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congratulations for fulfilling your dreams! You have built up quite an enviable garage across the seas with some of the most iconic vehicles! Hoping you enjoy it to the fullest and we get to see some offbeat places.
Thanks Dry Ice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
On a sidenote, some people have to be content with copies
That is a great collection. I can see two of them have sun roofs as well! I wanted a Defender with a sunroof, but they are extremely rare. I got a quote for installing one in this one, but it is so exorbitant that I am happy without one. It is high time that you had quit looking for a Freelander and bought a Defender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
What a timeless classic! Congratulations, Sumitro, on owning an icon of British motoring. These Defenders have a road presence like nothing else on the road and have become extremely desirable.O have got your hands on a tastefully specced one in fantastic nick.
Thank you 51morris!

Quote:
The Defender sure has its quirks, but that’s the whole charm of owning the damn thing! I am so waiting to see this in the flesh and to also take a picture of my Mini next to this beast - should make an interesting size difference
Yes, we have to meet soon to click those pictures we discussed about.

Quote:
Speaking of pictures, you have taken some absolute stunners. Wonderful thread and brilliant pictures befitting a true motoring icon. Wish you many years of motoring pleasure with the Defender.
Thank you once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
This is one of my dream cars! It's just so amazing that every design element is an icon : those 3 pane rear windows, scattered round tail lamps, roof windows, simple round lights on the front... Just EVERYTHING!
Thanks amol4184!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I was so disappointed that Force took away those 3 panes and tail lamps from new Gurkha.
Yes, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That's one handsome Defender you got there. The grey actually suits the vehicle.
Thanks sandeepmohan! I was apprehensive about the colour and had never thought that I would buy a grey car ever. But I too think that the Defender looks really good in this colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Were you unable to take the car for a test drive before purchase or was it restricted due to covid rules? I am bit nervous to buy anything without a test drive, even if pictures justify that the vehicle is in top shape. Some things just cannot be assessed or understood without driving the vehicle. More so, if it is a model of a vehicle you have never driven before.
It was restricted due to covid rules. But Paul was nice enough to let me have a thorough look at the car before finalising on that day. But it is not a problem to buy a vehicle without test driving if the dealer is a reputed one. Some of the big dealers give one week's time to return the car, no questions asked. Also, they have to give a 3 months warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Every person dreams, but people who dare fulfil their dreams. Blackpearl your defender90 is a dream, but i had to settle with my gypsy. Congrats and hope you have sweet memories with your defender.
Thank you drbones!
BlackPearl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 05:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Some of the big dealers give one week's time to return the car, no questions asked. Also, they have to give a 3 months warranty period.
That's really good. Makes it a sweeter deal versus a new car purchase too.

There are a few dealers like this in New Zealand. The one I recently dealt with had AA pre purchase inspection report included in the cost. The report is shared with you even before you make any kind of commitment. As every used car is imported from Japan, this is sort of needed as a level of assurance that you are not buying a lemon, especially if you are paying big bucks for a car. The pre purchase inspection does live it to the actuals of the car. Helpful for remote buyers.

Short term dealer warranty is offered for 2 months. This was good as I did run into some issues with the idrive system. Long term, full mechanical and electrical third party warranty at £1500 for 3 years. Shorter terms are available too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 09:11   #40
Team-BHP Support

I did wish you earlier, but here it is again, BlackPearl.. Congrats! Let me add again, how jealous I am.

That Defender looks mint, and very desirable to own. I am sure this one will be an investment, rather than a depreciating asset, as cars are generally classified. That car along with the beautiful pics you click makes this thread truly a feast for the eyes and soul.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 14:40   #41
BHPian

Beautifully penned down as usual. Congratulations for the nth time. LR should use your photos for advertising. They are mind-blowing. Meanwhile here is a collage of the video calls screenshots we have always had just after all your purchases in UK. All 3 beauties look amazing.

The heartbeat of BlackPearl | Land Rover Defender 90 Review-whatsapp-image-20210907-14.35.34.jpeg

Cheers,
Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 16:06   #42
BHPian

Oh my God! I saw a link this thread somewhere, and thought it was some kind of history/review. And when I open it today, I cannot believe my eyes. Man, you are living the dream. Carry on, brother. Hope to see many more pictures and travelogues. I would have prayed you had picked up a lighter green one (don't know what it is called) - just because I love it so much. And yes, I am being selfish! Take care , kind folks.

Last edited by johy : 7th September 2021 at 16:10.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketan007 View Post
Congrats on the new car!

I think Defender suits you better. So, just live the dream.
On a similar note, did you check the upcoming version of Force Gurkha?
Thanks ketan007! Yes, I saw the pictures of the new Gurkha and liked it except the treatment to the rear portion. I wish they had kept the small quarter panel windows beside the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I did wish you earlier, but here it is again, BlackPearl.. Congrats! Let me add again, how jealous I am.

That Defender looks mint, and very desirable to own. I am sure this one will be an investment, rather than a depreciating asset, as cars are generally classified. That car along with the beautiful pics you click makes this thread truly a feast for the eyes and soul.
Thanks benbsb29! I wish I could click pictures like you. Regarding the investment part, yes I too believe that it will appreciate if the current market trend continues. After I got the Defender I was looking for moving to a different place with a covered garage. But most of them are in the outskirts and we don't want to go there. So this is how the investment is currently protected

The heartbeat of BlackPearl | Land Rover Defender 90 Review-img_8108.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Beautifully penned down as usual. Congratulations for the nth time. LR should use your photos for advertising. They are mind-blowing. Meanwhile here is a collage of the video calls screenshots we have always had just after all your purchases in UK. All 3 beauties look amazing.
Thanks Pawan! I knew you would post this picture. I never miss to give you a video call after getting a vehicle, and you never miss to take a screenshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Oh my God! I saw a link this thread somewhere, and thought it was some kind of history/review. And when I open it today, I cannot believe my eyes. Man, you are living the dream. Carry on, brother. Hope to see many more pictures and travelogues. I would have prayed you had picked up a lighter green one (don't know what it is called) - just because I love it so much. And yes, I am being selfish! Take care , kind folks.
Thanks johy! Is this the one you are talking about? I think it is called Keswick Green. It looks amazing!

The heartbeat of BlackPearl | Land Rover Defender 90 Review-keswick-green-defender.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th September 2021 at 18:04.
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ketan007!

Thanks johy! Is this the one you are talking about? I think it is called Keswick Green. It looks amazing!

Attachment 2204375

Yes, this is the one. Also, the dark green and white one looks fab! You are indeed living your dream.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 19:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
o this is how the investment is currently protected

Attachment 2204374
May be roll/staple the cover so that it stops a few cms above ground. Saves dirt and grime scraping over the body while taking the cover out or putting it again.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks