Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:56   #1
BHPian

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

My earlier car was a Ford Ecosport, and I loved it so much that I bought it twice; the 2013 launch version and the 2017 facelift version. In my ownership reviews, I had proudly called them The Machine I love (Ford Ecosport 1.5L Diesel Titanium (Facelift) - The machine I love). The ownership experience was excellent and both the cars are with people close to my heart.

Coming to 2021, on the hunt for the proper 7-seater, Automatic variant, and SUV appeal, I zeroed in on the new Tata Safari 2021 not because I was in love with it but that was the only option that at the least looked like a SUV among Innova Crysta, MG Hector Plus, Alcatraz, XUV700. But his time I wasn’t in love with the car and thus was unable to have a clear decision. My confusions were
  1. Buying the Safari with sun-roof or not: I love the panoramic sunroof and it looked so nice on the Safari. But I wasn’t sure if I would use it in Chennai’s hot weather and even if I did, it will be just used as a moon roof (with just the shade open) as I don’t like to keep the car with the windows open and let pollution in. Also, I wasn’t sure if after the initial frenzy settles down and the show-off is done, whether I will even remember to use it. It was a very tough decision to make and finally went with what my mind had to say.
  2. Buying the Innova Crysta Gx variant: The 2 big concerns of buying the Tata Safari were “Reliability” and “Service Quality”. This is where Innova ticked the boxes. However, the Innova had automatic only in the Gx and the Zx (top end) variants. The top end was nearly 30 lakhs and hence a bit too far from my budget. The Gx missed on more air bags, some nifty features the Safari XZA offered and most importantly both myself and wife didn’t like the MPV look of the Innova Crysta. It turned out to be the deal breaker for not going for the Innova Crysta. The Safari on the other hand look classy and SUVish (except that it doesn’t have the tail mounted spare wheel) and felt more appropriate for our age. Here I went with what the heart had to say.
  3. Fear factor: The biggest factor that I had to overcome was the “Fear Factor”. I put my money on the Ford Ecosport twice but never had this element in the decision-making process. Now, I can tell you confidently that it takes a strong heart to put 25 lakhs on a Tata. I read a lot, did thorough research and the outcome was the fear of being delivered a lemon that lingers till you get your hands on the car and is still in my mind as I write this review. However, seems like most of the issues are sorted now and those that are out there are relating to those from initial batches.
Decision:
I finally took the leap of faith and booked the 7-seater XZA variant of the Tata Safari (Automatic, top end, without sun-roof). I took the test drive with Derik Tata, Nagercoil but couldn’t book with them due to the company lease requirements and thus made the booking with Lakshmi Tata, Chennai. While I would have loved the Black shade, since it was not available, I had to settle for the Royal Blue colour. I was quite excited and this helped me break the deliberate long hiatus that I took from the social network indulgence. The only network which I was still actively following was Team-BHP but I wasn’t contributing to it. It felt quite nice to be back in the conversation and the delivery updates by a few members gave me more confidence.

On 17th September, the day I did a virtual PDI of my car as I was in my hometown, Tata Motors launched the Gold Edition of the Tata Safari and along with it silently updated the feature list to include wireless Android Auto / Car play, wireless charging and air purifier to all XZ variants with a 12k increase to the price. I was a bit disappointed as my car that was August manufactured didn’t have these features.

There were no discounts except for the reduced Insurance premium that was matched with the external quote. I was offered the floor mats and the mud flaps for free. The dealership had also promised to give the sun visor for free but was denied later. Anyway, I wasn’t going to fix that as it came with a chrome lining which I personally didn’t like.

Delivery:
The 2 months wait, thanks to the long lease process in our company was indeed quite tiresome due to the “fear factor” and the handsome dose of negative news.

The delivery process is nothing to write about. I took the delivery at around 8pm after waiting there for nearly 2 hours due to the delay in getting the HSRP number plate. I have shared my feedback about the dealer in a separate section at the end.

Add-ons:
I am usually not a fan of adding additional electronics or accessories that just add to the visual appeal (mostly they look awkward). However, I wanted the below add-ons / accessories the details of which I will elaborate in their respective sections in the review
  1. 7D Floor mats
  2. Dashcam - 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dash Cam + right-angled USB adapter
  3. Extended warranty: Unlike the confidence I had in the Ecosport for which I didn’t take the extended warranty, it took me a lot of self-convincing to buy a Tata. When I took the plunge, I vowed to myself that I would go for the extended warranty.
  4. Paint Protection film for the door sills, edges and ORVM (from Tufkote- DIY Project)
  5. Screen guard for Infotainment screen - Amazon

Call it the Buzzard or the Gravitas or the Safari, it is no brainer to see that it is just the 7-seat version of the Harrier, which in itself is a good car to start with. I am no Safari fanboy and am not going to carry bricks or bats to fight over its naming.

Enough said, please hop on to my Sapphire for a safari.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-00-opening.jpg

What I like:
  1. Has the bold SUV DNA. It’s not imposing but has good road presence and is a head turner.
  2. Solid build; good set of safety features (6 airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP, hill hold, hill descent control, brake disc wiping etc. give you loads of confidence.
  3. Most comfortable 3rd row seats in the segment. Sliding and reclining 2nd row seats gives added comfort.
  4. My most loved & useful features include Electronic Park Brake with Auto hold, auto-dimming IVRM, charging port for almost all occupants, Eco, City & Sport modes, auto headlamps & wipers, cruise control, auto folding ORVM and more.
  5. Excellent drivability in the city and the highways. Has enough juice to put a smile on your face (don't expect a race car though)
  6. Though huge in size, it drives more like a car and is easy to maneuver. The monocoque platform shows its strengths in the way it handles too.
  7. NVH levels are well controlled; when the engine is warm its hard to believe its a diesel mill.
  8. Amazing audio system is more than sufficient to entertain me and most of us.
  9. The automatic gearbox is simply superb. As already mentioned in many reviews, this is the option to go with.

What I don’t like:
  1. Limited colours and too much of chrome. The Dark edition of the Harrier looks smashing; something similar on the Safari would have been my pick.
  2. The 8.8” screen is too small especially with Android Auto active.
  3. White Interiors; hard to maintain (especially with young kids); would have preferred a darker shade.
  4. No Wireless Android Auto / Car play / wireless charging. SHAME ON YOU TATA for not launching with these features. (I missed it by a whisker as an update to feature list included it in from the following month. Those buying now would not have this problem)
  5. Very small boot but it wasn’t a deal breaker. I would be using it mostly with 4 / 6 occupants and hence with one seat of the 50:50 foldable third row will give me the required space to carry luggage.
  6. It only has leatherette seats and not genuine leather seats. The brochure misleads us by mentioning “Premium Benecke Kaliko™ Signature Oyster White Leather# Seat Upholstery & Door Pad Inserts and Leather# Wrapped Steering Wheel & Gear Shift Knob”. I missed to see what the “#” was for as many would do. Later noticed “#Leatherette” somewhere in the bottom in a font I barely can read. WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO SHORTEN “Leatherette” to “Leather” – Purely with an intention to mislead the customer.

Last edited by Jude300 : 30th October 2021 at 21:08.
Jude300 is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 08:34   #2
BHPian

re: Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

Exterior

Look from the front and you will easily make out that it is the big brother from the Tata family. The familiar touches found in the Nexon is evident in the Harrier and the Safari. The huge windscreen and the high seating make it evident that it will give you a great view of the road.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-01a-front.png

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-02a-front.jpg

All variants without the sunroof come with the stepped -up roof that are ribbed for better strength. It makes these variants look taller than the sunroof variants.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-02b-stepped-roof.jpg

What I don’t like is the tri-arrow chrome accents in the front grill and the chrome around the head lamp cluster. It adds so much bling to the otherwise neutral car.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-03a-frontgrill.jpg

The plastic skid plate in Silver adds an SUV touch but are not functional. The towing hook is hidden under the skid plate and the cover needs to be removed to access it. Screw driver provided as part of the tool kit (Quite thoughtful ).

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-04-skid-plates.jpg

Adequate underbody protection.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-04-underbody.jpg

The black ORVM looks classy though it doesn’t stand out in the Royal blue colour.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-05a-orvm.jpg

The headlamp cluster is nicely done. Hate the cheesy chrome garnish though. The headlamps on the XZ variants are Xenon HID Projector headlamps for the low beam.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-05-c-headlamp.jpg

Look closely and you can see a growling lion.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-05d-lion.jpg

Turn to the sides and that’s where the Safari shouts of its SUV character than the cross-over silhouette the Harrier carries. The rear quarter glass is large and well proportioned. The integration of the rear is well designed that it doesn’t look like it was an afterthought.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-06b-side.jpg

The silver plastic that runs from the D-pillar to the roofrails look good to me while some might not like it. The variants without sunroof get functional roof rails that can carry luggage. See how the stepped-up roof is seen through the roof rails. The sunroof variants get a cheesy chrome element instead.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-07-silver-roof-rails.jpg

The chrome door handles and the window line are subtle and break the monotonous paint work.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-08b-door-handle.jpg

A closer look at the Door handle.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-08c-door-handle.jpg

The fuel cap is on the driver side of the car. A gentle push and it opens wide.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-09-fuel-lid.jpg

The 18” rims add to the height and the ground clearance of the car. It fills the wheel arches well but the increased size with lower profile = slightly bouncier ride + more expensive to change tires. The stock tires are Bridgestone Ecopia EP850 (235/60 R18) that are known for lower roll resistance that contribute to better fuel efficiency (Bridgestone claims 10% increase). I am not an expert with judging the tires and hence can’t really comment on them but to me it offers ample grip and not noisy.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-10a-alloys.jpg

The R18 Machined alloys also look neat, mature and syncs with the character of the car.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-10b-wheel.jpg

The LED tail lamps have deep cuts and wrap through the rear corner. It looks sleek and neat.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-11a-led-tail-lamp.jpg

Look at the how deep the cuts are.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-11b-tail-lamp-cuts.jpg

The rear of the car doesn’t carry the otherwise bulky look of the car. It is tighter and makes the car look smaller than it is. Compare it with the rear end of the Innova. The Safari mascot is a neat touch but there is no variant badge.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-12-rear-end.jpg

The XZ variants get the shark fin antenna while the others get the stubby type ones. The rears spoiler adds character too. The ribbed stepped up roof for rigidity.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-12a-antenna.jpg

The bumper gets faux exhaust vents and the single exhaust pipe is tucked away neatly and not visible in normal view. The spare tire is 235/70 R16 with steel rims hence only a 4-wheel rotation is possible.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-13-faux-exhausts.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-12-rear-underbody.jpg

The Safari comes with the “Vocal for local” branding (looks like it was designed by a 5th grade student) which is placed awkwardly in the rear glass. Not that I am not vocal for local but as with any other unnecessary sticker, I have removed it. Same goes for the Dealership sticker.

Name:  IMG20210917WA00162.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  55.8 KB

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-14-vocal.jpeg

I like to view the Safari in these angles.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-15a.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-15b.jpg

Last edited by Jude300 : 26th October 2021 at 14:28.
Jude300 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 08:19   #3
BHPian

re: Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

Doors, Ingress & Egress

The doors open wide but not completely 90 degree. The are heavy and close with a nice thud. (Pic Courtesy: Tata Motors website)

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-16-imaginator.png

The plastic cladding extends below the metal portion of the door and this helps in keeping the door sills clean. I have been driving the car in heavy rais since the purchase and the sills are clean. Given the high seating this is a good thing to have.

Front Doors:
Armed with the keyless entry feature, with the key fob in your pocket a gentle press on the request button on the door handle unlocks the car. The request buttons are available on both front doors. The front doors open in 3-stage action and is wide enough for easy ingress and egress. While the Safari is tall, due to its monocoque chassis it is not very difficult to get in or get out of the front seats of the car.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-18-front-door-open.jpg

Rear doors:
The rear doors also open in 3-stage action and open just wide enough. The entry point is sufficient to move your foot without hitting the door or the sill. That said, it requires a little more effort to get / get out of the second row as the seats a set slightly higher. It will be a bit difficult for our elderly parents, aunts & uncles to get in. But it is manageable without the foot board.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-19-rear-door.jpg

It gets a little tricky to get into the 3rd row while it should be noted that the 7-seater variant offers better access to the 3rd row. However, the entry to 3rd row is possible only through the left-hand side.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-19a-rear-left-door.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-19b-rear-left-door.jpg

Tailgate:
This is really heavy and needs some effort to lift it and this is a design flaw as a simple kink / grip would have made it easier. The Tailgate houses the rear view camera.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-20-tailgate.jpg

The loading lip is quite high and will needs some effort to load heavy suitcases. But with all 3 rows up, there is very little boot space (73 ltrs), just sufficient for a couple of backpacks. It has got a boot light though.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-21a-loading-lip.jpg

The 3rd row of seats can be folded by pulling the latch behind the seats. Also, you could pull it back to position using the straps provided. Thus all of this can be managed standing outside. However, the seats dont fold flat and hence there is a slight slant. Thus if you are keeping light weight luggage they can move a bit. With 3rd and 2nd rows completely folded they offer enough space to carry your home with you

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-21b-3rd-row-folded.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-21c-boot-light.jpg

The boot also houses the JBL subwoofer.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-22-subwoofer.jpg

Last edited by Jude300 : 23rd October 2021 at 22:01.
Jude300 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 07:50   #4
BHPian

Interiors

Step into the Safari and you are greeted by the premium white leatherette upholstery. While enough is said about the pain in maintaining the seats given its light colour, the seats are otherwise comfortable. With ample amount of white inside the cabin, there is an enhanced feel of space and airiness. The only sore thing that grabs your attention is the 8.8” infotainment screen with extra-large bezels. Tata should have updated this in the Safari. There are enough utility spaces and conveniences for all the 3 rows of seats.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-25-dashboard.jpg

All 3 rows are well spaced and setup considering the passenger comfort as key.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-26-3rows.jpg

The seats cover has perforations and is stitched well. However, being leatherette it does warm up.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-27-perforation.jpg

The interiors with all the 2 rows up and 3rd row folded gives the much required luggage space.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-28-second-row.jpg

The 3rd row:
True to Tata’s DNA, the seats are indeed broad but not the best. They provide decent legroom, recline and enough head room. The thigh support is non existent as with any 3rd row in the segment. The adjustable headrests add to the comfort and with the above and the quarter glass this place is not claustrophobic. You can access the 3rd row only from the LHS door. The 3rd row is also provided with a cabin lamp and dedicated AC vents that are integrated with the D pillar.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-29-rd-row.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-30-rd-row.jpg

2 USB charging points are provided on the left-hand side (LHS) and the AC blower rotary knobs on the right-hand side (RHS). This is not an ergonomic layout and I would have preferred having the knob and 1 USB charger on the left-hand side and 1 USB port on the right-hand side. This is because, if you plan to use it as a 6-seater, you would be folding down the RHS seat to load luggage and that will block your access to the AC knob. Also, when used as a 7-seater, if both occupants wanted to charge their phones, then the USB chord will run through the passenger on the LHS.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-31-3rd-folded.jpg

2nd row:
In my opinion, the 7-seater variant is the one to choose. The seats are wider and even if you are travelling with 2 passengers in the second row like in the captain seat version, these sears offer better space. The seats also get cabin lamps and the arm rest comes with cup holders and are placed well. The 2nd row sits slightly higher to the 1st row. The windows are large, allow enough light and offer a good view of the environment. Unfortunately, the middle occupant doesn’t get head rests. And if you use baby / child seats then you have to put it only behind the driver's seat as the LHS seat is the only way to get to the 3rd row, if needed.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-32-2bd-row.jpg

The 2nd row occupants get 2 USB charging ports behind the driver’s armrest but are placed too low (I have used it for the dashcam). It also offers some room to place the phones. The floor hump is quite prominent and will hinder the comfort of the middle occupant a bit.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-33-floor-hump.jpg

The doors have slots to place your phones but they are not padded (would have liked it that way). There is enough space to store 1 ltr bottles and some knickknacks.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-34-doorpads.jpg

The leatherette wrapped door handles and the padded armrests on the door are are a nice touch and adds to the premium feel.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-34a-door-handles.jpg

Driver’s Seat:
Well, this is the place I like to be and I am quite happy as I get pampered with some nice features. It is easy to sink into a comfortable driving position, thanks to the tilt and telescopic steering wheel and the 6-way powered driver’s seat with lumbar support. At 5’ 10” I don’t have the issue of the knee touching the dashboard that some had complained as I slide my foot deep into the footwell. However, it is a design flaw and will hinder tall drivers.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-35-start-button.jpg

Evrything is accessible from the cockpit with ease and the ergonomics is good.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-36-cockpit.jpg

The armrest, as in the Ecosport is placed further back and doesn’t offer as much support as I would like. It’s just another halfhearted attempt by the manufacturer to offer the feature just to tick the box. For shorter drivers this will be prettymuch useless. A sliding armrest is what should have been provided. (Refer pic: the Armrest is almost out of view)

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-37-armest.jpg

In the driver’s footwell, the accelerator and the brake pedals are well spaced out while the dead pedal could have been modified to offer better comfort in the automatic variants. Well, that’s not a complaint but a wish.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-38-drivers-footwell.jpg

The “leatherette” wrapped steering wheel is a bit chunky and would suit many. I like the one in the Ecosport better. The design feels a bit old fashioned (esp. the horn pad) in the otherwise modern looking car. The horn pad is very hard to press and you need to stretch your fingers to access it.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-39-steering.jpg

The left-hand side of the steering wheel has the buttons for the audio controls and phone. Below that are the wipers. They are sized well so that you can use them without seeing them once you get used to the layout of the buttons.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-40.jpg

The right-hand side of the steering wheel has the buttons for cruise control. Below that are the stalks for the lights.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-41.jpg

The gear lever is chunky and nice to use.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-42a-gear-lever.jpg

The drive mode selectors are next to the gear lever. The rotary selector works well. However, USB port for connecting your phone to the Infotainment system is still not very easily accessible. Also, there is only one port for connecting to the infotainment. That means you can either attach an USB drive or your phone. Wireless android auto might help here (poor me, I miss that feature)

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-43-drive-modes.jpg

The grab handles on the centre console add to the premium SUV touch though they only add to the visual appeal. It is netted and hence you really can't get your fingers around it to grab it.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-44-grabhandles.jpg

The view from the 2nd row of the centre console.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-45-view-back.jpg

Infortainment:
This is a big let down and Tata missed an opportunity to up the game with the Safari. It is a sore sight to see such large bezels and it makes the decently sized screen even smaller. To add to it, as everyone complains, then Android Auto / Car play only get a very small share of the screen.

However, the quality of the audio system is good and it keeps me happy. The buttons are large and neatly laid out and it not overwhelming. This adds to the ease of access.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-46-infotainment.jpg

Another shot from the cockpit.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-46a-console.jpg

Last edited by Jude300 : 30th October 2021 at 07:17.
Jude300 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 05:53   #5
BHPian

Driving the Safari Automatic transmission:

My decision to go with the automatic was driven by need than any other logic. I wanted the car to be easy to drive for my wife and with positive reviews about the automatic gearbox the decision was made. When I did the test drive, I liked the way the Safari performed but I was taken by a sweet surprise when I actually got my hands on my car. This one is butter smooth and you hardly notice the gearshifts especially when you drive with a light foot. It's paired so well with the engine that it works flawlessly.

Engine Power and Drive modes:
The engine has enough juice to put a smile on your face. It doesn’t feel under powered at all even with 7 people on board. The drive modes (Eco / City / Sport) have distinct feel and are useable and enjoyable in their own way. The power delivery is low / medium / high and I also feel some change to the steering (not sure if its just a feeling). I have been driving quite a bit in the rains and have used the wet mode. While I can’t really comment on what it does but there is a bit of change to the A-pedal sensitivity and the ride feels more planted / cushier.

Steering:
It’s easy to get into a comfortable position and the wide windscreen gives you are very good view of the road. The A-pillar is a bit of a blind spot at times but I am sort of used to it from the Ecosport. The steering as already mentioned in our official review is a bit heavy at crawling speeds (<5 kmph) and then it becomes light. At 90kmph the steering weighs up well and can be compared with how the 2017 facelifted Ecosport feels. Can’t comment about how it feels beyond that as I am still in the run-in period.

Cruise Control:
The Automatic + Cruise control combo is super useful. I drove from Chennai to Nagercoil (700kms) and was able to cruise at 86kmph / 88 kmph for about 60% of the distance. While our roads are not yet ready for stable cruise control, I could manage nearly 20 mins of continous cruising. There were times it lasted only a few mins, thanks to the poor lane discipline of slow-moving vehicles on fast lanes but overall, it is simple to use. Set the speed and leave it and you could increase / decrease the speed using the switch. If you need a bit more speed to overtake just accelerate a bit, overtake and then take your foot off the A-pedal and the car will then cruise at the set speed. A gentle press on the brake pedal will release the cruise control and once you are ready again, just a push on the speed toggle switch will activate cruise control and the vehicle will zoom back to the set speed.

Ride & Handling:
Again, our official review is spot on and I could relate to that in the test drive itself. In short, a stiff ride at low speeds and compliant at higher speeds. The difference is evident as speed increases. At lower speeds, when roads are very uneven (not broken) you feel the undulations more evidently and is quite annoying and that prompts me to increase the speed beyond 40kmph and it gets better. On even / smoother tarmac, at higher speeds it rides so well that you hardly feel the random rough patches and is thoroughly enjoyable.

I have driven it on the open highways in Tamil Nadu and winding roads of hilly parts of Kerala (my current location) and the Safari handles like a monocoque car should. It is predictable and carries itself in a controlled manner around corners. However, as with taller vehicles, the general precautions apply and shouldn’t be driven like a sedan. So far, I have not felt the fishtailing effect and I drive it like I had driven the Ecosport and you don’t feel it is larger / longer. On the inside, the body roll is well controlled and I feel that it does it better than the Ecosport even though it is longer and taller.

Fuel Efficiency:
The MID doesn’t show the right FE and there is a huge margin of error and that too varies. I believe in tank fill method and in the nearly 1600 kms I have driven, my best was 16.67kmpl (highway) and worst 12.48kmpl (95% city). Now the MID shows around 11.5kmpl riding in the winding hilly roads though I am yet to do my next tank fill. However, since it is in the run-in period, it might be too early to comment. My drive has been using the City drive mode mostly and in the short use of Sports mode I could see the FE in the MID drop. I have not used Eco mode much as the engine is in the run-in period and I prefer to keep the RPMs at a comfortable range.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-fe.png

Lighting:
Low beam lights up the road well and is more than enough for the normal run. If it rains, I turn on the fog lamps as well but sometimes will be forced to use the high beam to get a better view. The cornering lamps come in handy and adds to your comfort.

Last edited by Jude300 : 30th October 2021 at 06:22.
Jude300 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 06:32   #6
BHPian

Other observations

• Tyre Repair kit: This is a nicety that is secretly tucked away below the front passenger seat. This can be accessed from the 2nd row.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-tyre-repair-kit-0.jpeg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-tyre-repair-kit-1.jpeg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-tyre-repair-kit-2.jpeg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-tyre-repair-kit-3.jpeg

• Android Auto: If I receive a call while playing music using Amazon Music, after I hang up the song plays via my phone and not through the headunit. I will have to disconnect the USB and reconnect to play music via the car’s audio system. This the only issue I face with Android Auto and it is otherwise stable. I have had more issues with Android Auto on my Ecosport but not this one. Maybe it is due to my dated phone, the MI A2. Will have to check with my wife’s phone.
  • After driving in rains, I see a bit of fogging up around the DRL, I have seen mild fogging on the Ecosport as well, but rarely. Not sure if this is something to worry about. Will be checking during the 1st service.
  • Once, as I was getting off the car with the key in the pocket the "Intruder alert" was triggered and the car started to honk repeatedly. I didn't understand the issue first but in a couple of seconds I got an alert on IRA app and also a SMS. Then I realised what was wrong and pressed the unlock button on the key. I still dont understand what triggered it the speed in which I got the alert on my mobile surprised me. Will check this when I take it to the first service to understand what could have caused it.
  • Overall, fit and finish is acceptable at places that meet the eye. However, there is a lot of room for improvement.

The plastic panel doesn't sit flush.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-fit-finish-1.jpeg

The edge of the fabric lining of the roof looks very crude. Could have been finished better.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-fit-finish-2.jpeg

The piping for the wiper liquid looks very cheap; not sure how long it will last. It looks like the AC drain pipe we normally get in a hardware store.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-fit-finish-3.jpeg

Accessories

7D Floor mats:
I had noodle mats on my previous cars and they were very useful. However, I thought of going for the 7D floor mats for my Sapphire and bought one from an India Mart seller called Uniautocare from Delhi. The seller quickly sent me a lot of pics and gave 2 quality options, one for ₹3,500 and another for ₹4,500, both prices included the shipping from Delhi to Tamil Nādu. While I really couldn't make out what the difference in quality from the pics, the pure black option with black thread stitching was available only for ₹4,500. The fitting is 85% accurate with minor issues in a couple of places but nothing serious or that meets the eye. The material looks durable. I have now fit it in top of the fabric mats that the dealer provided. However, while it offers better protections and covers a wider area, removing them and refitting them would be tiresome. That said, the noodle mats can be easily detached and you could vacuum clean it easily and a quick wipe with the wet cloth will make it look neat and tidy. For more details, click here. (3D KAGU & Other Premium Mats)

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-a1-floor-mat.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-a2-floormat.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-a3-floor-mat.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-a4-floormat.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-a5-floormat.jpg

Dashcam:
After some quick reading bought the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dash Cam from Amazon. It was quite an easy DIY to do but the cable that came along with it was just a couple of feet shy of reaching the charging point inside the arm rest. I bought an extender cable but it did impact the power supply and the dashcam wouldn’t work. So, I worked out the next solution of connecting it to the charging point for the second row and it worked. However, the cable was projecting a bit and hence to solve that I bought the right-angled USB adapter and this sits flush and doesn’t interfere with the foot of the passengers.

I routed the cable via the windscreen and then through the passenger side B-pillar, then below the passenger seat to reach the charging port. It was easy and I didn’t have to remove the panels but just the rubber beading.

It has been performing as it should. I was planning to do a video but due to my tight schedule I couldn't do it. Will add that to this thread when I have it.

Extended Warranty:
To be sure that I am covered for any unthinkable failures, I have opted for the additional 3-year unlimited KM extended warranty. Rates for the same based on the time you purchase it is given below for your reference.

Name:  Warranty.jpeg
Views: 2727
Size:  76.4 KB

Screen Guard:
While I am not a fan of having the screen guards, since the Infotainment screen is quite large, decided to buy a screen guard. It costed Rs. 350/- and it fits the screen quite well. It is just a film and not the tempered glass kind and that’s more than enough. It is clear film though in the pic it looks dark due to the protective film over it. Link here

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-screen-guard1.jpeg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-screen-guard.jpeg

Paint protection film:
As with my previous cars, I plan to protect the door sills with PPF. Its still a DIY that is pending to be done. However, like I did earlier, I purchased the PPF from Tufkote for Rs. 120 per square foot. I bought 15 sq.ft and it costed me Rs. 2000/- including shipping. I have used the same on my earlier cars and they have done their job so didn't think twice to try other options. Also, it is difficult to source 3M / Gareware PPF in small quantities.

The Mumbai based seller (Ryan Mathias - +91 99877 99050 from Tufkote) is very prompt and responds to your queries patiently. He sent it in a PVC pipe packing with enough protection to the film and it reached me without any defect.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-ppf.jpeg

Last edited by Jude300 : 30th October 2021 at 21:37.
Jude300 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 20:35   #7
BHPian

Why not the XUV700?

Now that the XUV700 has been launched with lot more bells & whistles some ask, why did you not buy the XUV700?

Note: These were my judgement calls and are personal and hence might not be right from your view point. This is posted here to just put them out for information and not to trigger a debate / discussion around it. Would like to keep the thread foccused on the car and the ownership experience.

I saw the XUV700 coming. Thanks to our forum, knew what was going to be offered, saw the competitive pricing and the frenzy but stuck to my decision. It is sure a great leap ahead, has a feature list that is long and more power to offer. However, in fact, it was the Innova Crysta Gx Automatic that I had as the other option as mentioned earlier in the thread. So why did I stick to my decision?
  1. Looks: XUV700 looks more like an MPV than SUV, a reason why I chose the Safari over the mighty Innova Crysta. This is subjective but to me the Safari really stands out as an SUV breed in the segment.
  2. Heavy on tech: initial niggles and long-term reliability are yet to be tested. I greatly welcome the kind of the features being offered in this segment and it's great when it's from an Indian company. However, the tech is not only new to the segment but to the manufacturer and the service personnel as well. Whatever be the level of testing or training you do, nothing comes close to the actual world experience. The manufacturer and service personnel will have to go through the learning curve sorting the issues that crop up hence it would be wise to wait till a year to pass. Safari is also new but 6 months has passed and most niggles are sorted and the Harrier has been there for more than 2 years now and the service personnel would be familiar with the car.
  3. Maintenance: something that we are not aware of for the XUV700. On the other hand, I have a general idea about service costs for the Harrier and the Safari. They are as per my expectations and it helps me take an informed decision.
  4. Tech again: I am not the so-called gizmo or tech guy. I love practicality and make decisions based on my need. I don't need automatic headlamps or wipers or AWD. I didn't need the panoramic sunroof though I was in love with it. I was able to avoid the sunroof and chose XZA variant but couldn't avoid the automatic wipers because it comes by default in XZ. If I were to miss something that the XUV700 offers, they would wireless Android Auto (now available in the Safari) and ADAS (passive kind), nothing more. I drove a rental Innova from Delhi to Jaipur a few years back which had Mobileye ADAS installed and that was super useful, though annoying at times. However, active ADAS on the XUV700 could also turn out to be a bane.
  5. Practicality: Safari offers me adjustable 2nd row and more comfortable and spacious 3rd row seats. Diesel was the choice of engine and the 2 litre Fiat sourced engine offers what I need. I don’t need the extra 30 BHP on the XUV700 as I normally drive with a light foot and never in for a race on the highway. I would be happier with better fuel efficiency, more reliability and lower maintenance.
  6. The long waiting periods: I don't have the luxury to wait. I knew given all the goodies it offers, the XUV700 will have huge demand. The semiconductor shortage coupled with the electricity shortage in China will only make things worse to the supply chain and there will be an imbalance in demand to supply. This situation will be exploited by the dealer and in a few days, we could see posts that rant on the unprofessional behaviour of the dealerships.
  7. Reliability and after sales service: it's not very different from my understanding among Tata and Mahindra. Need to find the right place and the right guy. This is where Innova Crysta scored high points in my evaluation.

Hope you enjoyed the safri on my Sapphire. Will keep this thread updated with more info. Leaving you with some parting shots.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-dsc_0943.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-dsc_0994.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-dsc_0997.jpg

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-dsc_0991.jpg

Last edited by Jude300 : 30th October 2021 at 21:44.
Jude300 is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 06:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 07:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review for a great choice and upgrade from the Ecosport!
Here’s wishing you many happy and safe miles of motoring in the beautiful blue machine!
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 13:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review, Judil.

Looks like you exited Ford at the right time, just before they exited.

Before Compass, I was interested in Safari(it was called Gravitas then and not launched yet) but somehow I lost interest after the initial issues with Harrier and didn't like the looks of the 7 seater version. Later, a casual test drive of Compass happened and rest is history

But as you have mentioned this is a very good option among the other 7 seaters in this price range. Even the 3rd row looks spacious.

You have picked a nice colour too. Wishing you many many happy and safe miles.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st November 2021 at 10:13. Reason: Smileys. :)
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 23:48   #11
BHPian

Great review @Jude300. You have painstakingly compiled the write up, with pictures to support.

I picked up Safari over Innova, for exact same reasons as stated by you. Was floored by the stance , the looks and the way Safari drove. Coming from Ertiga and i10, it is definitely a leap forward for me.
I did not have the option of comparing with XUV 700. But even then, the looks of XUV never appealed to me. It’s a subjective feeling, though.

As after four months of usage, I’m absolutely happy with my Steed. And I wish you too, a long satisfying ownership of the Safire.
Cheers.
NitSat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:11   #12

Re: Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

Congratulations Jude! I have a Safari too with identical specifications.
I picked mine up in the end of April and I love the 15,000km I have driven in it.
Regarding wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, I think the system has wireless capability in it. Before the first service, my infotainment was bearing the "Pre-Production" watermark. In that version, I remember using wireless Apple CarPlay. Ever since they updated the firmware in the 2,000km service, I lost the wireless capability.
PS: Tata has given the IPL version wireless capabilities. Which I don't miss. And ventilated seats, which I do miss.
nadeemnajeeb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:21   #13
BHPian

Re: Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

Congratulations! Wish you many happy miles with the Safari. How would you rate the ride comfort over bad roads compared to the Innova and the Compass?
Old 1st November 2021, 12:42   #14

Brilliant review! Very detailed and importantly non-judgemental. Appreciate the candidness and freshness of the review. I personally own the Ford 3.2 Endeavour and have been very happy with it since Dec 2016, but looking at replacing my 2011 Vento MPI AT as a chauffeur driven vehicle for the family and might just replace the Vento with the Safari after reading your detailed post. Thanks for that & Cheers!
Old 1st November 2021, 13:42   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. A very detailed review. Similar to the old official reviews. Liked the sections and appropriate details. Enjoy your drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks