Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:05   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review

Congrats on the new car purchase. Have taken delivery of our Topline AT last week. Red colour. I can relate to most of your views on the car fully agree with the practicality / space of the car. But I found the engine to have a bit of a lag on uphill sections. And the gear ratios seem a bit long. But I have driven the car only 400km and probably need to get used to the engine / gearbox characteristics.
differential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 08:34   #17
BHPian

Thank you for posting the first 1.0 AT Taigun Topline review on Team BHP. I will be taking delivery of the same variant, Candy White color, today.

I currently own two Polo GT TSI, Sept 2014 and Dec 2017 make. We haven't driven them much (~ 66,000 kms and 15,000 kms respectively), but have enjoyed every rpm. I also had an accident on the older Polo which, I like to think, kept me very safe, unlike the other vehicle involved (a perpendicular collision at an intersection early morning) where the car and the occupants suffered substantial damage and injury.

Since then I have given up my constant complaints about high cost of ownership of VW vs Ertiga (the other car I had at the time).

Have fun and wishing you lots of safe and fun-filled miles.
diffsoft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
But I found the engine to have a bit of a lag on uphill sections. And the gear ratios seem a bit long. But I have driven the car only 400km and probably need to get used to the engine / gearbox characteristics.
Congrats and welcome to the Taigun club! It took some time adjusting to the driving dynamics (moving from a manual Santro 2006 model), but I climbed the steep roads of Kuppanur-Yercaud roads (via Pagoda point) fully loaded with 5 passengers without any lag issues. And I put it on S mode to keep holding to lower gears a bit longer in some sections. Of course, by the time I hit the ghat section, I had driven 1500+ kms in the car. So, maybe it played a role in the different experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thank you for posting the first 1.0 AT Taigun Topline review on Team BHP. I will be taking delivery of the same variant, Candy White color, today. ...

Thank you! Welcome to the club and wishing you the same on lots of safe and fun filled miles!
Old 6th January 2022, 12:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thank you for posting the first 1.0 AT Taigun Topline review on Team BHP. I will be taking delivery of the same variant, Candy White color, today.
I'm taking delivery of my Taigun in Candy white this weekend. Congrats on the delivery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Taigun club! ...
Thank you! Welcome to the club and wishing you the same on lots of safe and fun filled miles!
Amazing thread. Have you faced any noise from the door seals?

Looking forward to starting ownership in the next few days.
Old 6th January 2022, 13:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
19L On Road! Not to go OT, but I can’t digest the fact that once upon a time, one could get a fully loaded Jetta for the same price as pseudo-SUVs nowadays; 3 cylinder ones at that. Unappealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I was also thinking on the same lines when I read this thread. 20 big one's for a 3 cylinder 999 cc engine seems a tad expensive.
Totally agree with the emotions, but it was 'once upon a time you could get a ....'.
Times have changed. Did a quick search for AT cars under 20L and you have very limited options. If you further filter our newer brands, and pseudo SUV form factor (form factor for me is as important as engine and transmission) you are left only with a couple of brands.
Then it gets very personal, fun to drive, vs practicality of use of car.

I have been in the market for a pseudo SUV, because my father finds it difficult to get in and out of our Vento. I just need something with higher seating which will get me from pt A to pt B while having automatic transmission, and I have not be able to find a good AT to replace my Vento.
20L is high priced in my opinion too. Significant portion of my take home salary.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Amazing thread. Have you faced any noise from the door seals?

Looking forward to starting ownership in the next few days.
Welcome to the Taigun club! Yes, there was significant noise from the doors within days of taking delivery esp over bad, uneven roads. But I raised it during the first free service and since then it's been addressed fully. Very quiet now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Totally agree with the emotions, but it was 'once upon a time you could get a ....'.
Times have changed. ...
20L is high priced in my opinion too. Significant portion of my take home salary.
Yes, times are different. Have you tried TD in a S-cross? At 15.4L for Alpha AT, as a people mover, that would be excellent. I booked it before getting the Taigun since they delayed delivery. With the upcoming facelift, it would be a good option, I feel.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 17:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, times are different. Have you tried TD in a S-cross? At 15.4L for Alpha AT, as a people mover, that would be excellent. I booked it before getting the Taigun since they delayed delivery. With the upcoming facelift, it would be a good option, I feel.
Thank you. I test drove the XL6 (get an extra seat for lesser price)which I believe is the same transmission. 4 gears are just to less I feel.
No specific news I believe of when the new S Cross will be introduced in India, but agree with your suggestion. And the big question is the price once it is introduced.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 09:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review of a lovely car. I thought I knew my VWs but especially in silver, the Taigun resembles the (pre-facelift) Tiguan so much front on, more so when seen without a size reference point; that it had me stumped

That mark left behind by the left wiper blade was noticed in my GT TSI too, but only during sustained operation under rains (it promptly disappeared after each car wash). I wonder if the wash fluid concentration has something to do with it
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 21:14   #24
BHPian

Hey Team BHP-ians and esp. fellow Taigun owners,

Posting a quick update here on the eve of crossing 2500Kms in my Taigun.

I have been experimenting (if you can call it that) with multiple fuels in different driving conditions.

Here's the table I have built myself in Excel. I do use Fuelio, but I prefer to my own data consolidation and analysis. Let me know your thoughts on what you infer from the data here.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. The mileage during the initial 500Kms (100% city driving) is as expected on the lower side, I guess.
  2. Between December 2021 and March 2022, I had used mostly XP95 but the driving was also more on highways.
  3. With the driving mix split equally between city and highways, there seems to be a significant dip in mileage even with XP95. And that too with close to sedate driving.
  4. It has been only a couple of days & about 100Kms since I filled the tank with HP Power (the local IOCL pump was out of stock on XP95 and I thought I might try this instead) and but I am already seeing a 1.5-2Kmpl dip in the average mileage shown on the car's instrument cluster. The engine also feels sluggish and a bit knocky. Should I consider Proctane or STP addition and see how the numbers turn out?
VW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review-2500kms_taigun1.0_mileagestats.png

I have also successfully installed a DDPAI Z40 dashcam (front only, with a Strontium Nitro A1 128GB Micro SDXC Memory Card) myself in the Taigun without hard-wiring and it has been performing wonderfully. Need to spend time to photo-document that experience here in this thread as well as share some clippings (I just put 1 clip on YouTube just this evening, as my first ever YT video!).

Cheers,
ASMR
asmr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:58   #25

Quote:
Hey Team BHP-ians and esp. fellow Taigun owners,

Posting a quick update here on the eve of crossing 2500Kms in my Taigun.

I have been experimenting (if you can call it that) with multiple fuels in different driving conditions.

Here's the table I have built myself in Excel. I do use Fuelio, but I prefer to my own data consolidation and analysis. Let me know your thoughts on what you infer from the data here.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. The mileage during the initial 500Kms (100% city driving) is as expected on the lower side, I guess.
  2. Between December 2021 and March 2022, I had used mostly XP95 but the driving was also more on highways.
  3. With the driving mix split equally between city and highways, there seems to be a significant dip in mileage even with XP95. And that too with close to sedate driving.
  4. It has been only a couple of days & about 100Kms since I filled the tank with HP Power (the local IOCL pump was out of stock on XP95 and I thought I might try this instead) and but I am already seeing a 1.5-2Kmpl dip in the average mileage shown on the car's instrument cluster. The engine also feels sluggish and a bit knocky. Should I consider Proctane or STP addition and see how the numbers turn out?
Attachment 2284061

I have also successfully installed a DDPAI Z40 dashcam (front only, with a Strontium Nitro A1 128GB Micro SDXC Memory Card) myself in the Taigun without hard-wiring and it has been performing wonderfully. Need to spend time to photo-document that experience here in this thread as well as share some clippings (I just put 1 clip on YouTube just this evening, as my first ever YT video!).

Cheers,
ASMR
Congratulations ASMR. Even I am contemplating a Taigun 1L. Very detailed review, providing right inputs for me to make decisions. Loved the Fuel Eco tracking you did !

Has the economy improved considering your car would have done quite a few thousand kilometers by now. 12.34 is not very pleasing considering the fuel prices today.

Also, when I spoke to VW dealer in Bangalore, he said there is no FREE Service. It is annual paid service at 15K kms. He said there will be couple of general check-up in the first period. No service post the run-in period. Kindly confirm.
rkponders is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 20:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkponders View Post
Kindly confirm.
Thank you for your response.

I completely agree with your view, especially when the overall average mileage is around 10kmpl only. That isn't very pleasing, but then I don't think we can expect anything north of 12 to 13kmpl from the1.0L AT Turbopetrol and that too in moderate city conditions. In heavy traffic, 10kmpl is like a bonus!

The economy hasn't improved but that might be because 100% of the distance driven was in moderate to heavy traffic for the last ~750Kms. I do plan for a long trip in the next few weeks and am sure that I will see better numbers than before. But I am beginning to get accustomed to seeing numbers hovering around 10kmpl. My only (maybe irrational) hope is that after the 1st year service, this number with improve by 10-15% at least.

Here's an updated table snapshot.

VW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review-3238kms_taigun1.0_mileagestats.png

A few points on mileage:
  • The 8.78kmpl was with Power 91. With Speed 97, it was 9.42. Not even close to being considered an improvement.
    • The route and timings remained pretty much same. The only difference was the performance.
    • Power 91 was horrible on the car. Speed 97 was much more tangibly better. XP95 seems slightly worse than Speed 97.
  • What I noticed is that the average mileage indicator and the actual tank full to tank full have at least a 2-2.5Kmpl difference overall.
  • I also noticed that the average mileage shows up higher if I don't see it in the screen and just drive as normally as I did with my Santro.
I am not sure I completely understand the checkup vs service thing since I do believe those are used interchangeably. My first "service" was indeed free but I guess it was essentially a check up. Same goes true for the upcoming "service" in June and the first "true service" - changing of engine oil, filters etc. would be 1yr or 15K Kms whichever is earlier. So, yeah, your dealer is probably right.

Last edited by asmr : 26th April 2022 at 21:12. Reason: Made some changes
Old 8th May 2022, 07:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I have also successfully installed a DDPAI Z40 dashcam (front only, with a Strontium Nitro A1 128GB Micro SDXC Memory Card) myself in the Taigun without hard-wiring and it has been performing wonderfully.
Hi, good to hear you managed the installation on your own. I too got the DDPAI Z40 installed (again, not hard wired) and am happy with its performance.

Just one question. Without hard wiring, you would be using the 12 volt socket, right? But that would mean remembering to pull off the dashcam's plug from the socket each time you park (at least, overnight or for a longish time). Any other go-around for that to ensure you don't run the risk of battery getting drained?
Old 8th May 2022, 08:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
But that would mean remembering to pull off the dashcam's plug from the socket each time you park (at least, overnight or for a longish time). Any other go-around for that to ensure you don't run the risk of battery getting drained?
Would leaving the dashcam plugged in to the 12V power socket be any different from hardwiring the cam? I don't think so, except that it may have a cut off after a few hours. I am not sure about the length of time that elapses before power cuts off or if it does.

But yes, I manually plug it in/pull it out as needed. Short of hardwiring it or having an independent power source for it from a power bank (there are many posts on this on a different thread by others), I don't know of a workaround.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 19:15   #29
BHPian

Hello Team BHPians:

Just wanted to post a quick update (for the record) on the mileage and running costs. I have completed 4785kms in my Taigun 1.0L AT Topline and this is how the mileage and cost figures rolled up at the last refueling.

VW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review-4679kms_taigun1.0_mileagestats.png

I did get my horn changed/upgraded in June. Cost me around Rs.2400/-.

I have also sent an email query to VW Customer care team (copying my dealer contact) on whether the Engine Idle start/stop facility will be made available to 2021 model Taiguns 1.0L. Apparently, sometime this year, that feature was added as standard to 1.0L.

As it stands, door noise, AC inefficient cooling are still open issues. Hoping that VW CC responds soon.
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:10   #30
BHPian

I Took delivery of Taigun 1.0L AT June 1st, and I had already visited service center 3 Times apart from Swagat service. The recent one being for water entry on tailight, rear grab handle issue and rear door metalic noise while closing.
To my surprise when I highlighted the door metalic noise to the service person, their guy was educating me saying that its because I am closing the door wrong way !! And when I asked why other doors dont have this noise he was keeping quite and ignoring.
VW came long way from smashing and standing on the door to show build quality to educating customer to mask their quality issues. Disappointed but not surprised!

Most Viewed