Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:38   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review

Hi ASMR, thanks for the informative thread, and congrats for your new vehicle.

Would you be able to comment on the noise level and vibrations from this engine at idling and run time ?
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Topline
Sorry, missed tagging you in the last post.
Also, if the inside is are well insulated from noise and vibrations ?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 23rd July 2022 at 12:54.
Old 23rd July 2022, 13:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
To my surprise when I highlighted the door metalic noise to the service person, their guy was educating me saying that its because I am closing the door wrong way !! And when I asked why other doors dont have this noise he was keeping quite and ignoring.
If possible, please do record a video and post it in the official review thread to see if any of the others might have experienced the same or can at least help figure out the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Sorry, missed tagging you in the last post.
Also, if the inside is are well insulated from noise and vibrations ?
Sure.

I have not had any issues with vibrations. Nothing felt in the seat, steering wheel, gear handle (mine is a AT, but still). Not while engine start, stop or drive. It's very refined that way.

On the noise part - When the engine is started, you will hear some engine noise inside the cabin since it is spinning at a bit higher RPM for 15-30secs.

The cabin is mostly silent for the most part on smooth roads, with AC in Auto mode. You will hear the roar of the 3 cylinder engine only when you drive very enthusiastically and even then it is not loud, in my opinion. Road noise trickling in depends on the tires and also the traffic around you. But I would say that is not a big issue since I can hear my own ear ringing when I am driving alone with the radio or music switched off .

On uneven or bad roads, the doors/doorframes/rubber parts make a lot of squeaking/rattling noises in my car. This is a common complaint from many owners. This goes away with lubrication but it lasts only for a month or so. There have been few cases where the ASC applies a Saint Gobain anti friction tape on the chassis frame for the doors, but I see it as a temporary fix too.

Just additional information - In fact, my car is at the Service center right now to fix that + other issues related to AC inefficiency in auto mode + driver side window one touch not working correctly at random times. I had actually sent an email to VW customer care but they coolly moved it as a complaint to the Dealership ASC as a complaint. I have a good relationship with the Dealer team and I told them I did not send it as a complaint against service experience. I didn't realize VW CC simply pass the buck to the dealer. I am trying to see if I can get an inside contact from VW team.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 14:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
If possible, please do record a video and post it in the official review thread to see if any of the others might have experienced the same or can at least help figure out the reason.
My car is at Service center, mostly they will return the car without sorting the door noise, if so I will record a video and post it here.
Also I found the door closing sound of front and rear are different and rear door does have an inherent metalic noise while closing, but in my case the one in rear left is making much more of such noise like some metalic part is vibrating inside. Hopefully VW didn't do some cheap cost cutting in the door lock mechanism.
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
My car is at Service center, mostly they will return the car without sorting the door noise, if so I will record a video and post it here.
Also I found the door closing sound of front and rear are different and rear door does have an inherent metalic noise while closing, but in my case the one in rear left is making much more of such noise like some metalic part is vibrating inside. Hopefully VW didn't do some cheap cost cutting in the door lock mechanism.
So it's a metallic vibration sound not from the hinges or from the door hitting the chassis frame but from inside... May be some small component, screw/nut/spring got caught in the door's internal gaps? Or may be a loose panel in the inner door? Hope the ASC fixes it.

In my car, I really haven't heard any difference in sound between front and rear doors this far though. It's just a good thud I hear.
Old 24th July 2022, 00:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
So it's a metallic vibration sound not from the hinges or from the door hitting the chassis frame but from inside... May be some small component, screw/nut/spring got caught in the door's internal gaps? Or may be a loose panel in the inner door? Hope the ASC fixes it.

In my car, I really haven't heard any difference in sound between front and rear doors this far though. It's just a good thud I hear.
Sound still feels different for me, front doors have solid Thuds and rear ones are having lite metalic clink to it.

The issue kind of reduced in my case , they tightened some screws and lubricated the lock mechanism. It would have been much better if VW service guys learn to acknowledge genuine issues instead of blabbering all the bullshits, it would have also improved customer experience. I wonder what these guys do with uninformed customers. I know some stuffs as I have been working in auto industry for more than a decade and even worked in development of VW Skoda 2.0 projects.

They took me seriously only when I lost my cool on some bullshit they where talking about something which I had laid hands on in development.
Adam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Just additional information - In fact, my car is at the Service center right now to fix that + other issues related to AC inefficiency in auto mode + driver side window one touch not working correctly at random times. I had actually sent an email to VW customer care but they coolly moved it as a complaint to the Dealership ASC as a complaint. I have a good relationship with the Dealer team and I told them I did not send it as a complaint against service experience. I didn't realize VW CC simply pass the buck to the dealer. I am trying to see if I can get an inside contact from VW team.
Update - The door contact areas on the chassis have now been taped up. I was told that this was the solution as per campaign from VW themselves. The cabin was pretty silent in the short run I had yesterday. I will have to see over the next 3 months or so if the noise returns.

They could not reproduce the driver window one touch not working issue. They checked the AC and gas levels in it but still can't explain why the ACC is horribly tuned. These 2, along with the headlight issue while driving at night in traffic, are the open issues for me right now.

Quote:
Sound still feels different for me, front doors have solid Thuds and rear ones are having lite metalic clink to it.

They took me seriously only when I lost my cool on some bullshit they where talking about something which I had laid hands on in development.
I hope this gets resolved for you. It is my opinion that service center people, even with all the training they have, may not immediately have answers for issues that fall far away from the normal.
Old 30th July 2022, 21:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I hope this gets resolved for you. It is my opinion that service center people, even with all the training they have, may not immediately have answers for issues that fall far away from the normal.
My grab handle and door lock issues got resolved. But today while traveling I started getting some kind of lite vibration from my steering along with some rattling noise around that region when driving over uneven road, kind of like steering rack rattle and its definitely increasing. Probably gonna take it to service next week , fingers crossed !

But the sad part is that my car is just 59 days old with 1700 Kms odo (off which around 200 kms was for service station visits) and have already visited service center 4 times for multiple issues. I used Polo for almost a decade, it was quite reliable for most part and never had to visit service center this often.

This time I may end up doing some pooja before I take car out of service station
Old 31st July 2022, 08:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
But today while traveling I started getting some kind of lite vibration from my steering along with some rattling noise around that region when driving over uneven road, kind of like steering rack rattle and its definitely increasing...

But the sad part is that my car is just 59 days old with 1700 Kms odo (off which around 200 kms was for service station visits) and have already visited service center 4 times for multiple issues...

This time I may end up doing some pooja before I take car out of service station
Visiting the service center 4 times in 2 months is no fun, especially if it's this far.

For me, the only things that were creating noise on very bad, uneven roads were the doors and tyre/suspension. So, please do ensure that this is not the case for you. Also the steering vibration/rattle started all of a sudden? Is it happening when you are holding steady or while at certain positions during turning?
Old 31st July 2022, 13:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Visiting the service center 4 times in 2 months is no fun, especially if it's this far.

For me, the only things that were creating noise on very bad, uneven roads were the doors and tyre/suspension. So, please do ensure that this is not the case for you. Also the steering vibration/rattle started all of a sudden? Is it happening when you are holding steady or while at certain positions during turning?
Its not all of sudden, I felt very minor rattling before too and I even mentioned it on my previous visit, it was neither felt or noticeable that easily unless you are turning down the ac, music and going over some very bad patch of road, but yesterday while I was driving to my hometown which is around 300 kms I started noticing this rattle creeping into the cabin at some uneven patch of road and it was getting more and more noticeable over the journey. Even my wife pointed out the noise as she even asked if I kept something on the right door pocket.

Unfortunately I am at my hometown in Kerala and the nearest VW service station is 75 Kms away. I'm not very comfortable in driving it back to Bangalore and sorting this issue there, so probably I need to spend a day again to visit the service station and solve the same. Hopefully my work from home wont turn into work from service station
Old 9th September 2022, 21:21   #41
BHPian

9 months of ownership, 5500+ Kms. Time has indeed flown fast.

My Taigun 1.0L AT Topline crossed 5000Kms in the first week of August. 2 free checkups done, along with 2 to 3 visits to ASC to address the door squeaking noises, paid upgrade on the vehicle horn and then a forced visit to the ASC for an error that showed on the digital instrument console.

My impressions on the vehicle, after being the sole driver in it this far, are as below. It might be like I am restating a few known things and many obvious things, but just collating here for the record.
  1. The car is very spacious for 4 people. Even those that are 6ft tall and not of thin build will find ample legroom and comfortable seating, both in the front and back seats. A 10yr old child can adjust as the 5th person in the back but anyone bigger will find it a tight fit. You can carry sufficient luggage for 4 to 5 people for a 3 day trip very easily in the boot.
  2. The Taigun pulls very smoothly from 0kmph to slow speeds, even in bumper to bumper traffic. With hill hold for those stops on inclines, and a smooth torque converter transmission, you will not be stressed in any way.
  3. There is power on demand. There are very few occasions where I had felt any lag but it has never been a concern. Even fully loaded, the car doesn't feel sluggish at any point, not on the plains, not in ghat sections as well.
  4. The steering is very controlled and responsive. Driving in traffic as well as in highway at good speeds, it lets you feel confident in where the vehicle goes when you turn the wheel.
  5. Ride is very comfortable. Given the stiffer suspension, slow speed ride might be a bit bumpy but you will find that on decent roads, the car holds up very well. There is little bit of vibration in the place near the handrest during the initial 30 to 40s after a cold start, but as soon as RPM comes back to 1000, it settles down nicely.
  6. The anti friction tape in the door contact areas is losing it's hold on the cabin noise. The car sounds more noisy on bad, uneven roads. Add to it the panel noises from the dashboard which started recently at ~4700kms on the odo, which is another major disappointment. On normal roads, it is pretty quiet for the most part.
  7. Mileage is extremely sensitive to your driving style, traffic conditions and grade of petrol being used. The ARAI fuel economy numbers are just imaginary. With an overall 60%-40% split on city vs. highway rides, my average mileage is just over 10Kmpl, running mostly on XP95 from IOCL. Idling and bumper to bumper traffic (which I face a lot) kills your mileage like crazy, almost on the same level as flooring the gas pedal.
  8. ACC is a problem. Park your vehicle out in the open on a hot day and you will find the ACC struggling to cool down the interiors. With a bit of effort, like venting your cabin and switching to a higher fan speed manually, you can speed up the process. But yes, pretty underwhelming ACC for a car that costed me close to Rs.2mil. The only saving grace are the ventilated seats but they are available only for the front passengers.
  9. The LED Headlights are just ok. In normal nights, it is fine, but seem very under-powered in rains as well as in areas where there is heavy traffic in the opposite direction.
  10. I had upgraded to VW dual tone trumpet horns. Cost was Rs.2400/-. They are pretty good but I sometimes have to wonder if the stock horns were better in getting attention from people all around.
  11. I have decided that I am not a fan of the auto dimming IRVM. Can't really put a finger on why though.
  12. The auto folding SRVMs are a boon, as is the rear wiper.
  13. The stock MRF Wanderer tires are fine but I am still not very confident on taking sharp turns at a higher speed. It feels like I am turning on a jelly road at certain places.
  14. Braking has been pretty good in this car. I had posted a video on an accident that I avoided, thanks to the excellent braking. The video showcases braking at a slower speed (~35Kmph) but even at higher speeds, the car feels solid while braking hard.
  15. I would have loved to have the engine idle start/stop as an option, along with full fledged TPMS. I would take both as paid upgrades if they are given. I would also be considering upgrading to better, aero wipers after some more observation this rainy season.
Here is my mileage tracker + a new chart I built, just for the sake of it. The last mileage of 7.97 was mainly due to heavy traffic runs + idling during 3 days spent at the ASC for troubleshooting the Error message shown on the Instrument panel screen, compounded by the fact that in the last refueling, the attendant in the petrol bunk thought the auto cut off was working but it didn't and the petrol gushed out quite a bit before he stopped it. That is throwing the calculations off quite a bit, I think.

VW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review-5355kms_taigun1.0_mileagestats.pngVW Taigun 1.0L Topline AT | Ownership Review-5355kms_taigun1.0_mileagestatsgraph.png

P.S. If anyone from VW is reading this, help fix the cabin noise issue!!

Last edited by asmr : 9th September 2022 at 21:23. Reason: Missed out a point
asmr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 19:04   #42
BHPian

Fantastic review. Super appreciate the constant, valuable updates. This is indeed the go-to thread for anyone looking to buy a VW/Skoda with the 1.0 AT combination.

BTW, I had pre-booked the VW Taigun AT, but held back my purchase due to incidents reported on the Kushaq and lack of clarity of features on the top end variants. My interest has now been rekindled, particularly in the backdrop of the imminent launch of the Toyota/Maruti SUV twins.

Can you please let me know what additions and deletions the current VW Taigun Topline features vis-a-vis at launch?
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 22:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Fantastic review. Super appreciate the constant, valuable updates. This is indeed the go-to thread for anyone looking to buy a VW/Skoda with the 1.0 AT combination.

Can you please let me know what additions and deletions the current VW Taigun Topline features vis-a-vis at launch?

Hey Pannags, sincere apologies for the late reply.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that my posts are seen as useful.

I do not have a detailed comparison between features that were at launch and what's default by now. However, from my reading of articles and few tidbits I got from my dealer, I gather that the auto ORVMs, one touch driver window etc were removed in between due to the chip crisis. But they introduced Engine idle auto start/stop as well as proper TPMS. But I don't see the same in the brochure. It says only deflation warning system and the auto up/down window for driver is still there.

By the way, I also happen to have the Taigun brochure from October/November of last year, May 2022 as well as today. Attaching them here for quick reference. Hope this helps.

Anyway, the Taigun hasn't seen incident as such as far as I know. There are small niggles, which I have been pretty open about in my posts as well but it's a fantastic car overall, especially so, according to me, if you live in a not too crowded city.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New-Taigun-Brochure-Sep302022.pdf (10.65 MB, 304 views)
File Type: pdf taigun-brochure-may-2022.pdf (10.61 MB, 299 views)
File Type: pdf volkswagen-taigun-brochure-october-2021.pdf (13.93 MB, 285 views)

Last edited by asmr : 30th September 2022 at 22:04. Reason: corrected for clarity, accuracy, brevity
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 10:12   #44
BHPian

My 1.0 AT TOPLINE completed 1200kms last week.
Below are my observations

1. The brakes although good need some proper modulation. It is difficult to stop the vehicle at a stoplight without a jerk. I am a sucker for SMOOTH driving and avoid hard accelerations/braking.
2. Same way, it jumps the moment you ease off the brake pedal. Difficult to control in tight parking spaces especially in the mornings when the idling is fast on a cold engine. It literally jumps instead of crawling.
3. Engine is peppy but somehow feel it stretching out under full load on open roads. Maybe due to it's 3 pot design and smaller capacity. There is no replacement for displacement
4. Vehicle feels solid and sturdy. No creaks, no loose ends, no shoddy finish. Works as expected.
5. To get better fuel efficiency, you have to drive it with a light foot.
6. Air Conditioner is best operated manually. Auto mode doesn't work for the Indian heat.
KkVaidya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:12   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
My 1.0 AT TOPLINE completed 1200kms last week.
Below are my observations

1. The brakes although good need some proper modulation. It is difficult to stop the vehicle at a stoplight without a jerk. I am a sucker for SMOOTH driving and avoid hard accelerations/braking.
2. Same way, it jumps the moment you ease off the brake pedal. Difficult to control in tight parking spaces especially in the mornings when the idling is fast on a cold engine. It literally jumps instead of crawling.
3. Engine is peppy but somehow feel it stretching out under full load on open roads. Maybe due to it's 3 pot design and smaller capacity. There is no replacement for displacement
4. Vehicle feels solid and sturdy. No creaks, no loose ends, no shoddy finish. Works as expected.
5. To get better fuel efficiency, you have to drive it with a light foot.
6. Air Conditioner is best operated manually. Auto mode doesn't work for the Indian heat.
Yes, there’s in fact no replacement for displacement. I opted for the TC gearbox so had to go with the 1.0L engine as I wasn’t comfortable with the DSG on the 1.5L.

I do feel the lag or lack in power (don’t know which it is) when car is with 2-3 people or need a quick & safe overtake.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks