Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 17:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar

I mentioned in one of the previous post that I am planning to upgrade headlights.
I have seen infinite number of led headlights in real and flooded online which is a direct swap.
Few examples are minus type, wrangler type etc. Prices varies based on models.
But none of these will be any superior to a good halogen reflector lights. Majority of the Led headlamps are only good at near illumination and not in long distance throw.
Yes, there are branded ones from Morimoto or KC Hilites which are made for Jeep Wrangler. But the cost including shipping and import duties is kind of sky rocket.

Projector retrofit is a good option, may be I will think about it later. As there was no good projector set up, I decided to keep the halogen set up (Philips 90/100W) with Philips relay.
But decided to change the reflector to original Hella one. Stock is Lumax.

I sourced a pair of original Hella reflectors made in Germany which is made of aluminum die cast.

I did a DIY to swap the Lumax with Hella. I managed to swap without removing the grill and bumper. It was bit difficult to access the four bolts on the front side without removing grill.
All you need is a 10mm spanner and a star screw driver.

Steps below:
1. Take out the scrivets on top of the Grill
2. Take out the four bolts which holds the headlamp assembly to frame
3. Disconnect H4 Socket
4. Disconnect Headlamp Leveler motor

The headlamp assembly will come out.

5. Then you need to take out the two adjustment screws out from the assembly
6. You will see three small star screws which holds reflector to assembly. Take them out too.
7. Please make sure that u don't fiddle with headlight leveler motor

Now you have the reflector dis-assembled from the frame and fit back with Hella ones.
Please find more pics below:

Stock Lumax:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-stock-lumax.jpg

Hella:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-hella.jpg

Adjusting Screw:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-adjusting-screw.jpg

Stock Dis-assembled:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-disassembled.jpg

Leveler:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-leveller.jpg

Small star screw in assembly:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-star-screw.jpg

I can see a big improvement in the beam pattern with lengthier and brighter throw after this mod. Pretty happy with this one.
MithunSathianat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 13:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I can see a big improvement in the beam pattern with lengthier and brighter throw after this mod. Pretty happy with this one.
This is one mod (headlight improvement) that I'm also looking for. Where did you get the Hella from, how much was it? Can you also post some pics of the beam patterns?
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 19:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
This is one mod (headlight improvement) that I'm also looking for. Where did you get the Hella from, how much was it? Can you also post some pics of the beam patterns?
I got it from Amazon. Link :here

Before placing order I have confirmed with the seller whether this is original and made in Germany.
After the installation alignment needs to be adjusted to get the best out of it.
I will post the pics soon.

Last edited by MithunSathianat : 5th February 2022 at 19:59. Reason: To remove an extra quote
MithunSathianat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 20:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got it from Amazon. Link :here

Before placing order I have confirmed with the seller whether this is original and made in Germany.
After the installation alignment needs to be adjusted to get the best out of it.
I will post the pics soon.
Thanks mate! I'd seen this, but was holding back coz of the park lamp provision.

I'll take the plunge after you get to post pics
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 20:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Projector retrofit is a good option, may be I will think about it later

Steps below:
1. Take out the scrivets on top of the Grill
2. Take out the four bolts which holds the headlamp assembly to frame
3. Disconnect H4 Socket
4. Disconnect Headlamp Leveler motor

The headlamp assembly will come out.

5. Then you need to take out the two adjustment screws out from the assembly
6. You will see three small star screws which holds reflector to assembly. Take them out too.
7. Please make sure that u don't fiddle with headlight leveler motor
After Bi-LED Projector Fog lights installation, the reflector headlights seems to be inadequate. Low beam cutoff is rubbish as well.
Aftermarket LED headlights look good but all of those are passively cooled via head sink like designs. I would genuinely consider LED projector headlights if available but actively cooled with a fan.

I want a razor sharp cutoff from the Headlights so Projector Retrofit is a good option for me. I have seen Bi-Xenon Projector retrofitted on Thar's 7" headlight housing from Lumiere Concepts and Genome Performance. Reviews are good as well.

Only issue which is holding me back from a DIY replacement of the Headlights, is having to unmount the Bumper and front Grill, and for that, It would make sense to replace the front grill to Wrangler JL grill in one shot. But being a daily used car, won't be able to manage enough time to do a lengthy DIY.

So, replacing the Headlights without removing the Bumper and front Grill is a real good news for me.

After removing the scrivets on top of the grill, we need to pull the grill forward to gain access to the four bolts to remove the Headlights?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 5th February 2022 at 20:36. Reason: Added few sentences
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 00:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thanks mate! I'd seen this, but was holding back coz of the park lamp provision.

I'll take the plunge after you get to post pics
Here you go!
Low Beam with Hella
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220205_234848.jpg

High Beam with Hella
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220205_234853.jpg

Bi-Xenon fog low beam + Hella low beam
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220205_234909.jpg

Bi-Xenon fog high beam + Hella high beam
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220205_234914.jpg
MithunSathianat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 00:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I want a razor sharp cutoff from the Headlights so Projector Retrofit is a good option for me. I have seen Bi-Xenon Projector retrofitted on Thar's 7" headlight housing from Lumiere Concepts and Genome Performance. Reviews are good as well.

After removing the scrivets on top of the grill, we need to pull the grill forward to gain access to the four bolts to remove the Headlights?
Retrofitting is a good option as there is enough room to play with.
Glad to know that few had done already.
Blaze India has one of the best Bi-Led Laser projectors. They are made in Japan and I could see the same listed in "theretrofitsource.com" too. But it costs approximately 30k. Do check out if you are interested. I am not planning to do this at present, may be at a later point.
Attaching the pic they shared me over WA
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img20220205wa0033.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img20220205wa0040.jpg

They have Hella Projectors too.
I am no way connected to them

Regarding your question on bumper - Yes, pulled the grill towards front to access. Trust me, this was not simple. If you are planning to get a new Grill, better to do the headlight mod along.
MithunSathianat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 01:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Blaze India has one of the best Bi-Led Laser projectors. But it costs approximately 30k.
Aren't these the same?

If yes, then couldn't figure out the purpose of Laser beam. It's so narrow, what is the actual benefit of having a laser?

Also, it's listed at $580.88 on theretrofitsource.com, then how are they selling it for 30k in India?
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 09:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Aren't these the same?

If yes, then couldn't figure out the purpose of Laser beam. It's so narrow, what is the actual benefit of having a laser?
Not sure if these are the same. Will have to double check with Blaze India. May be the one listed in TRS might be a different model. But the technology is similar. You can see another small projector housed inside main projector.

I came across an insta post from Blaze India where actual throw is shown. The laser beam is enabled on triggering high beam. Even though narrow, when two beams are combined, the throw is much better than normal bi-xenon projector. Do check out if possible.
Old 9th March 2022, 20:26   #40
BHPian

Got trims on A-Pillar and Head-unit carbon fibre dipped.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220309_202315.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220309_202336.jpg
Old 9th March 2022, 21:56   #41
BHPian

Two more pics:

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220309_215307.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_20220309_215406.jpg
Old 10th March 2022, 12:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Two more pics:

*SNIP*
Looks really cool

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 21:54   #43
BHPian

There has been very few mods I did to Thar recently. But I was actively doing regular offroad drives.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-91b27969deba4ca8acd10b65c079fea1.jpeg

From my experience I feel tyre’s are the weakest link in new Thar. It absolutely fails in slush.
Had to use winch to come out of slush every time.
I am planning to get MT tyres with 16 or 17 inch steel wheels with out selling the stock alloys and tyres.
May be - 265/75/16

If any recommendations please let me know.

Posting a recent winch recovery short video here:
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 11:25   #44
BHPian

After a week since Coorg trip, there was tightness in steering and also some kind of rubbing sound from steering assembly.
When inspected, I could see the power steering fluid leak.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-92253.jpg

I took the vehicle to service center and it was identified that the steering pressure hose was faulty. Got the same replaced under warranty.
What I am informed is that, for the older batches of Thar, this component was faulty and was replaced on need basis.
I would have been more happy if such faulty parts were replaced proactively as part of service action rather than waiting to fail.
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:04   #45
BHPian

New Shoes! My mind was constantly poking me to do this mod.
The main reason was that I was doing a lot of off-road trails recently and the stock tyres were constantly failing in slush. Rest all areas stock tyres were sufficient.

For now, I chose the 8J 16 inch steel wheels and 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT Tyres.
This is slightly a negative offset set up with slight gain in diameter and width. Decided to go with this considering serious off-roading. With this upgrade, there is a minor change in gearing.
Weight of the new tyre and alloy combined is 38kgs.

Below are my observations after this upgrade.

Pros:
Better off-road capability especially in slush
Butch Looks
In slow speeds, ride felt more compliant

Cons:
1. Braking is slightly impacted due to the extra weight.
2. Turning radius has increased
3. Tyres rubbing against stock bumper. Inside of bumper needs lot of trimming. For me, more than bumper its rubbing with my projector foglamps. For time being, I have taken out the fog's. Will be finding a solution for this. If any suggestions, please let me know
4. High speed may be impacted. I don't usually go above 90-100 kmph so this is not tested as of now.

Adding few pics here.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img2602.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img2648.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img2658.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img2663.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img2661.jpg
MithunSathianat is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks