Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2022, 19:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar

Could you please elaborate on the wheels. Cost and source in particular. Any other details like PCD and centre bore would be helpful.
Old 22nd September 2022, 21:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
Could you please elaborate on the wheels. Cost and source in particular. Any other details like PCD and centre bore would be helpful.
Its 114.3 X 5 PCD
Tyre was approx 15k each and steel rims 5k each.
I sourced it from a dealer in Kerala. If you need the details I can PM you
MithunSathianat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 23:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
New Shoes! My mind was constantly poking me to do this mod.
The main reason was that I was doing a lot of off-road trails recently and the stock tyres were constantly failing in slush. Rest all areas stock tyres were sufficient.

For now, I chose the 8J 16 inch steel wheels and 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT Tyres.
This is slightly a negative offset set up with slight gain in diameter and width. Decided to go with this considering serious off-roading. With this upgrade, there is a minor change in gearing.
Weight of the new tyre and alloy combined is 38kgs.
My-O-My, what a looker and not only looks but also a functional upgrade. I have many people on YouTube, especially who are into off-roading going for this upgrade. Exactly similar - Steel rims and 16 inch tires. I think you changed the tires when your vehicle was brand new so the new tires would have returned good value, mine are done 14000 now so no value of return. I have Ceat Czar and from all offroading I have done, they do a good job.

I was curious to know, how much has the ground clearance increased now, I does looks taller by the way. Do keep us posted with your experience after driving 5000 or so kms with them. Congratulations on the upgrade.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 15:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
I was curious to know, how much has the ground clearance increased now, I does looks taller by the way. Do keep us posted with your experience after driving 5000 or so kms with them. Congratulations on the upgrade.
Thank you! Stock tyre height is 31.1 inches and the new one is 31.6.
I did not measure the GC, but i did not find much of difference in height. I am assuming it would be max 10mm of increase only.
I shall post my experience after clocking few thousand miles.
My ODO is at 15k now. I have not exchanged stock tyres and alloys. Planning to paint the stock alloys. Saving them for long highway trips
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 10:19   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Stock tyre height is 31.1 inches and the new one is 31.6.
I did not measure the GC, but i did not find much of difference in height. I am assuming it would be max 10mm of increase only.
I shall post my experience after clocking few thousand miles.
My ODO is at 15k now. I have not exchanged stock tyres and alloys. Planning to paint the stock alloys. Saving them for long highway trips
That is nice. So you are keeping 2 set of tires. One for Off-roads and excursions, while the other one for Highways. When I had gotten Thar, I was also planning the same but back then due to tire shortage, they were charging a lot of money. Almost 1.5L for the tires itself.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 11:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
That is nice. So you are keeping 2 set of tires. One for Off-roads and excursions, while the other one for Highways. When I had gotten Thar, I was also planning the same but back then due to tire shortage, they were charging a lot of money. Almost 1.5L for the tires itself.
Yes, Right. Because, heavy MT tyres are not at all suitable for the long highway runs.
Prices of tyres have been inflating since the import ban has started.
For example, cost of BF Goodrich KO2 was 10-12k before two years and now its retailing upwards of 25k.
Old 30th March 2023, 19:03   #52
BHPian

Installed Pro-Man Grab Handles and Door Hinge steps myself.
It was a pretty easy DIY except that I accidentally opened the door with hinges removed.
And the door was in my hands
It was difficult to fit back the door, but somehow I managed.

The quality of grab handles and door hinge step is top notch.

Pics:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img5240.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img5241.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img5228.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img5233.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img5237.jpg
MithunSathianat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 16:56   #53
BHPian

Time for some more mods The first thing I got was a pair of Hella Black Magic Cubes 3.2 Flood beam.
Ordered a pair of mounts and installed this by myself.
It was fairly an easy task as the kit contained below parts

1. Pair of Hella Cubes
2. Relay with separate switch
3. Switch
4 Metal Brackets

I also have ordered a pair of aftermarket covers for them so that it is kept covered in city and highways.

The throw has a very good spread.

Posting few pics.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-file_000.png

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img6397.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img6375.jpg

Next Mod planned: Projector fog lamp upgrade from Bi-Xenon to Bi Led Laser projector
MithunSathianat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 11:16   #54
BHPian

As I have around 5 auxiliary lamps (2 shoulder, 2 rear, one light bar) and projector foglamps of which all have separate relays, it was getting difficult with too much of wires inside bonnet. Also there was no space in firewall to take switch wires inside cabin incase of any new items.
To solve this, I purchased Auxbeam 8 Gang Switch Panel BA80, Universal Circuit Control Relay System. This was hand carried by one of my friend who came from US.

https://auxbeam.com/products/qp002559

I installed this as a DIY over the weekend. The advantage is that now I can control more than 8 devices without pulling wires inside cabin. This supports video inputs from a camera as well.
Total power will go to 600w at 12V, 1200W at 24V and the maximum current is 60A.

The Package:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8379.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8380.jpg

The kit comes with 8 panel switch which needs to be mounted in cabin, relay panel which needs to be mounted inside bonnet, connecting wires, mounting brackets, stickers, installation manual, ignition fuse connector.
The thin red cable connects the master switch power cable to the ACC fuse.

I have installed the relay panel on top of stock fuse box as there is only limited space inside bonnet for Thar.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8386.jpg

Switch panel has automatic dimmable blue back light.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8384.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8394.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8381.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_8383.jpg  

MithunSathianat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 14:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Time for some more mods The first thing I got was a pair of Hella Black Magic Cubes 3.2 Flood beam.
Ordered a pair of mounts and installed this by myself.
It was fairly an easy task as the kit contained below parts
Any specific reason to have Flood lights on A pillar? Are you using them as ditch lights?

I just ordered Morimoto 4bangers driving combo pattern and plan to install them on the bumper. Later would get a pair of spots too.
Old 11th December 2023, 12:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Any specific reason to have Flood lights on A pillar? Are you using them as ditch lights?

I just ordered Morimoto 4bangers driving combo pattern and plan to install them on the bumper. Later would get a pair of spots too.
Flood lights on bonnet is helping me out on overall visibility during night trails, especially when there are tree branches on both sides.
Partially acting as ditch and cornering lights as well.
MithunSathianat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 14:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Flood lights on bonnet is helping me out on overall visibility during night trails, especially when there are tree branches on both sides.
Partially acting as ditch and cornering lights as well.
Aha, understood. How much light bounces off the bonnet? Does it hurt the eye?

Thanks!
Old 11th December 2023, 14:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Aha, understood. How much light bounces off the bonnet? Does it hurt the eye?

Thanks!
Very less. As they are mounted on clamps which sits relatively at higher position, the light spreads out nicely.
IMO, its always better to mount spot lamps on bumper and flood lamps on bonnet or roof to get the best out of them.

Aren't the Morimoto's expensive when considering import and customs duty?
Old 11th December 2023, 18:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Aren't the Morimoto's expensive when considering import and customs duty?
Oh yes, they are pretty expensive. I was very happy with their reviews and I wanted good quality/throw, thus opted for it. I hope I can buy another set as I want spots too!!
Mushroomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 23:22   #60
BHPian

What's more exciting on a new year than lifting my Thar? This was the thought going on in my head during the last week of December

I have been thinking to do a suspension lift on my Thar for few months. As there are only two options, I finally chose the MMG (MovingMetalGarages) kit.
I am no way connected with them.
I have been in contact with Gagan of MMG for quite some time and discussing of ordering the kit.
As there was no installer down in south, i was bit confused to go for it or not. I have not seen or read any one in KL, KA or TN fitting this 2 inch lift kit.

But, Gagan gave me full confidence and he guided me through out the installation.

I have ordered the kit on 17th November 2023. They needed some time to make the kit ready. I received the kit on 29th December. What more needed for the new year party?

The kit consists of following parts.

1. Front Adjustable Shockers - 2
2. Rear shockers - 2
3. Front Heavy Duty Upper Control Arms - 2
4. Differential Drop Kit
5. Extended Bump Stop
6. Shock Absorber Adjusting Tool
7. Rear Adjustable Panhard bar with greaseable chromoly Heims
8. Rear Spacer

The kit does not contain springs. Stock springs are to be used, as is the case with Ironman kit.

The complete Kit:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-complete-kit.jpg

Front Adjustable Shockers:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-front-shocks.jpg

Rear shockers:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-rear-shocks.jpg

Front Heavy Duty Control Arms:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-ca-close-up.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-front-upca.jpg

Differential Drop Kit:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-diff-drop.jpg

Extended Bump Stop:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-extended-bs.jpg

Shock Absorber Adjusting Tool:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-tightening-tool.jpg

Rear Adjustable Panhard bar with greaseable chromoly Heims:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-pan-hard-rod.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-chromoly-heim-joints.jpg

Rear Spacer:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-rear-spacer.jpg

The job was started on January 1st in my FNG. We started off with the front.

Ready to party:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-all-ready-fit.jpg

Removed under body protection plate and removed the front suspension.
It was pretty difficult to remove the suspension itself. Especially, to take out J shaped arm from the lower control arm. Once that is done the suspension comes out.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-stock-suspension.jpg

The next step is to take out the stock springs with the help of spring compressor tool. Top Spring seat and Spring seat rubber are to be used.
MMG shocks come with washer and rubber bushes. Hence stock glass type washer and bushes are not to be used.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-spring-top-plate.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-mounting-spring-compressor.jpg
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-spring-plate-fitted.jpg

Stock Shocks Vs MMG Shocks:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-stock-shocks-vs-mmg.jpg

Once the springs are out, this needs to be mounted on MMG shocks in a similar fashion and the height of the shocks need to be adjusted with the tool provided. I have set it to 155mm as I have a winch. This distance is from bottom of the shock to base plate.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-measuring-height.jpg

Fit back the front shocks and install the MMG upper control arms.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-front-springs-mmg-.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-mmg-control-arm-fitting.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-upca-fitted.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-upper-ca-fitted-2.jpg

Stock Upper Control Arm Vs MMG Heavy Duty Control Arm:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-stock-arm-vs-mmg-.jpg

Once everything is back in place, need to check if upper control arms are touching the springs, if so the spring seating needs to be corrected. Springs should sit as it was sitting in stock set up.

Next step was to put the differential drop kit and extended bump stops which were fairly an easy job.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-diffe-drop-installed.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-extended-bs-fitted.jpg

Once the front was done, we moved to back. Rear shockers are direct fit which was also a fairly easy job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Shocks.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2553206

Then the rear springs and stock panhard rod was removed and installed the new heavy duty panhard rod where the chromoly heim joints need greasing.
The pan hard mount on passenger side needs a slight chopping to accommodate bigger heim joints. I shall paint the area with epoxy and do a full underbody coating to prevent rust issues.

Before installing the springs, spacer needs to be mounted on chasis. Below the spacer, rubber bush and spring sits.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-rear-spring-mount-chasis.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-rear-spacer-installed.jpg

It was dark and we are exhausted when we finished all the works.
I was so happy to see the initial stance after Thar was lifted down.

The drive to my home which was nearby was fun. Thar was in complete party mood, all dancing around in the road with colorful lights flashing in MID
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-warnings.jpg

For a moment, I was out of party mood and re-winded through all the steps and made sure that everything was done correctly.
In order to take out the J-arm, we have played around with lower control arm which made the camber out completely which caused these. I also confirmed the same with Gagan and he assured that it should be ok after the wheel alignment.

The next day we danced to wheel alignment center and got the alignment done.
Hurray, everything is back to normal.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-wheel-alignment.jpg

The height from ground to front fender in nearly 38 inches now. Currently I am using 31.6 (265/75/16) inches tyres, I may upgrade to 32.8 (285/75/16) I feel 34 and above will be an overkill and will reduce the articulation.

I have not driven much with the new setup. Will post a detailed review after using it for few kms including offroad. Initial observations are:

1. Wobbling and swaying has reduced slightly
2. Stiffer than stock (adjustable)
3. Rear shocks have very long travel
4. Steering has gone lighter
5. Braking has improved

ARKA underbody protection (middle and rear) cannot be fitted after the lift, I need to find longer bushes and bolts to fit the same. Front one can be fitted though. The rear plate will need a small trim as well.
ASFAIK, with this kit, one need to put wheels with min -12 offset or a spacer.

Overall I am loving the stance of my Thar.

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-parting.jpg
MithunSathianat is offline   (44) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks