Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2024, 18:52   #61
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar

What a rocket of a kit! Congrats bud!!

Very inspiring to have undertaken this since this is the first time I have seen pics of this kit.

Detailed and guiding, your post above. Not for the faint-hearted like me I am afraid (or maybe I will muster enough courage in a year or two.)

Talking of this, I spoke with Raj (NOIDA) today about moving the winch control unit (same as yours) inside the bonnet somewhere. There is no space! He advised making a BONNET-mounted bracket and mounting the control unit to the bottom of the bonnet This way it lifts up when one pops the hood and is immediately out of the way. The proposed position is behind the battery.

What do you think? I am mid-way through a bumper claim, so this would only avoid chopping up the new bumper and restoring some of the original look (helpful to avoid mob-violence during inadvertent car accidents on 'modified' bumpers.)
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 19:49   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
What a rocket of a kit! Congrats bud!!

Very inspiring to have undertaken this since this is the first time I have seen pics of this kit.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post

Talking of this, I spoke with Raj (NOIDA) today about moving the winch control unit (same as yours) inside the bonnet somewhere. There is no space! He advised making a BONNET-mounted bracket and mounting the control unit to the bottom of the bonnet This way it lifts up when one pops the hood and is immediately out of the way. The proposed position is behind the battery.
Bottom of the bonnet?
Near the battery? Yes, this can be definitely tried as there is enough room.
Just that you need to get lengthier cables to connect control box to winch.
If possible get a fuse added for the main power cable. I am not sure if that's feasible.
At times, my winch get confused about IN and OUT But it works some or the other way!
MithunSathianat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 21:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Bottom of the bonnet?
Yes, behind the battery, mounted to the bonnet underside. So it is in essence, inverted. We'll need to make a bracked to span the distance between two parts of the X -frame that supports the bonnet currently.
Quote:
Near the battery? Yes, this can be definitely tried as there is enough room.
That's the place. Just behind it. Horizontal or vertial is to be decided. This is also what Manish suggested.
Quote:
Just that you need to get lengthier cables to connect control box to winch.
I believe they're 10mm Cu, right?
Quote:
If possible get a fuse added for the main power cable. I am not sure if that's feasible.
I cannot say how much the winch pulls - I will defer to Manish and inform you accordingly. Going as per the cable capacity of 10 sq mm copper open air is not right - since the engine runs hot AND that the starting load may be higher than sustained load and that such a time the copper wires can handle easily 30% over their rated capacity for a few seconds. Just like a food processor at home..
Quote:
At times, my winch get confused about IN and OUT But it works some or the other way!

Last edited by wooka : 3rd January 2024 at 21:32.
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 16:13   #64
BHPian

Quote:

The job was started on January 1st in my FNG. We started off with the front.

Ready to party:
Attachment 2553234
Couldn't help but notice those sick flush mounted LED Bars on your bumper! Could you shed some 'light' for these LED bars:

1. Brand
2. Price
3. Which wiring kit you used?

Cheers!
SA-G13B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 17:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-G13B View Post
Couldn't help but notice those sick flush mounted LED Bars on your bumper! Could you shed some 'light' for these LED bars:

1. Brand
2. Price
3. Which wiring kit you used?

Cheers!
The flush mounted ones are Hella black magic ones.
Cost is 11k for pair.
The long lightbar (covered) near the grill is Hella 470 pencil beam.
Both are connected to Auxbeam Gang Panel. I have detailed it above. Please check once.
MithunSathianat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:31   #66
BHPian

Here is a quick review on the MMG Lift Kit which I used approximately for 500kms.

The good's:

1. Stance - My Thar looks like a proper truck. As the front shockers are height adjustable, one can lift it from 2 to 3.5 inches with out a strain on the CV angle.
With bigger tires, my front fender sits 38 inches from the ground.

2. Ground Clearance - The droop in the front has gone now and ground clearance (measured at rear differential) has increased to 300+ mm which is a spike of 3 inch.

3. No Swaying - Swaying character of initial batches of Thar has gone completely. The recent batches has relatively less sway compared to initial batches.

4. Lighter Steering - Steering has gone lighter. Earlier Thar's have lighter steering than recent batches. But, it has got even more lighter

5. Better control - Overall maneuverability has improved and steering inputs are more refined

6. Articulation - Especially the rear shocks have a very long travel

7. Power delivery - With 265/75/16 MT's, I felt there was a lag in power which I already mentioned in my review of tires. This lag has vanished now and I feel the vehicle is more smooth now.

8. Braking - Braking has improved marginally.

The Bad's

1. Stiff Ride - My Thar with 265/75/16 MT's with 28 PSI had a plush ride which is gone now due to the stiffer suspension set up. The road undulations are transferred to the cabin. There is no swaying, but there is up-down movement. No issue on smooth roads.

Issues Faced:

1. Rear Shock Bushes came out after a serious off-roading due to which there was squeaking noise. I have replaced those by applying glue as mentioned by Gagan from MMG and its all good now.
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-63066.jpg

I wish the kit came with extended heavy duty rear sway bar links as well as the stock sway bar links seems to be bit strained with the lift. May be it will be ok if I re-adjust the same. I need to check that out. Gagan assured me that its absolutely fine and will not have any issues.

Rear Sway bar links:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-photo20240203112539.jpg

Posting few pics here on the stance:

Bibendum's NE Expedition Thar alongside mine:
Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_9467.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_9470.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_9519.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_9521.jpg

Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar-img_9539.jpg
MithunSathianat is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 19:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
2. Ground Clearance - The droop in the front has gone now and ground clearance (measured at rear differential) has increased to 300+ mm which is a spike of 3 inch.
I understand that it should alter the drop in front but how does a lift kit change the ground clearance? Is that a function of lift kit or tyres?
ChauhanSaurabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 13:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChauhanSaurabh View Post
I understand that it should alter the drop in front but how does a lift kit change the ground clearance? Is that a function of lift kit or tyres?
Increased clearance is a combined result of tire + suspension. IIRC, stock Thars clearance is 226mm. i believe its the distance between lowest part of the vehicle to the ground. Mine is now sitting at 300+ mm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks