Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 20:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Our Crystal White Pearl Volvo XC60 AWD, Mild Hybrid

Let me try to address the fault issue. First of all, there is no NDA or such agreement. I simply wanted to highlight the service provided by Volvo. I don't want to mention the exact issue due to my conscious and I'm afraid that it can be misunderstood and interpreted in a way which is not my intent. The car had a small mechanical issue, so small that if detected at the time of QC (driving), would have been fixed within hours. The issue was not related to engine or turbocharger or any major component. But due to issue remained undetected, consequently it triggered multiple failures due to its side effect.

What I want to convey here is mistakes happen. It can happen with any manufacturer and product. In fact, there are hundreds of examples in this forum itself where owners are struggling with their new car. The Volvo's first attempt was to fix the issue by replacing all damaged components. However, me and wife did not like the idea and we wrote to Volvo India directly to replace the car. And they agreed!! What better resolution there could be? We got the new car and we really appreciate this. Haven't heard this level of service from any other manufacturer. The whole purpose of explaining this issue is to instil confidence in owners and prospective buyers in Volvo. At least I trust them more than any other brand.

Problems will come. More important is how they are handled by the manufacturer and service center. And Volvo has aced it so far.

PS: I'm in no way attached to Volvo and being a salaried employee, my very hard earned money has been invested in Volvo. I'm just a satisfied customer who got the shock of his life the very next day of the purchase but saved by Volvo's customer service. It shows their commitment towards their customers.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 21:23   #17
BHPian

Congrats deepak bajaj and welcome to the club.

You have purchased the XC60 at the right time during the transition to hybrids and electrics. It will help you keep the car for a bit longer than your 5 years period. Which you may very well have to, because, your expectations from a car would be raised after this purchase. Your upgrade in future will have to match its' standards.

You will notice a change in your driving style after a while. For example, you will keep a safe distance from vehicles in front to avoid triggering alarms and the collision avoidance system. No more swerving between lanes, unless you like the sound of (or have turned off) the lane keep assist.

I test drove the B5 recently and I too felt it very numb to drive. The acceleration was very smooth and I had to do the speed test twice, keeping an eye on the speedo, to convince myself that it had actually reached a ton in that short time. It wasn't a very pleasing sound during hard acceleration and there was an unconventional thrum you could hear under the bonnet. But compared to my loud rackety D5, this was a just a small hum. This car is for relaxed driving and hard acceleration only when its' necessary.

I can imagine the pains you would have gone through when your car broke down. Especially on a family trip. But Volvo and your dealer have managed this commendably. They have done their bit to reduce the pain you and your family had endured. And kudos to them for replacing your car. Even some reputed brands in our country do the usual business of passing the buck around when they are met with this situation.

Heres' wishing lots of happy miles for you and your family in the coming years. Who knows, this might turn out to be a long term ownership thread.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 23:00   #18
BHPian

Just bought Audi Q5 and had done the same exercise by driving all the cars in the segment X3, GLC and XC60 as well as discovery sport.

In the end Q5 mouth watering Deal won it over XC60. Next 8 years auto scene will change completely and I don’t want to be left behind.

I believe I will retain this Car for 4-5 years and then move onto electric cars. Saving around 12 lacs now meant a lot.

Had the price been similar would have bought XC60.

Then Audi had better Service locations and my Audi q3 was more or less trouble free during the 7 years I had it.

Audi services were much cheaper than other brands but had no idea about Volvo.

Resale for XC60 was another factor.

Lastly rear seat Experience was much better in Q5 but Volvo seats were better in the Front.

Drive experience was more or less similar.

XC60 was my first the choice of the heart but brain said go for Audi Q5.
samitjain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 08:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the XC60. Wishing you lacs of happy ownership kilometers. Being a Delhi resident, you did the right thing by opting for a petrol car instead of diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_bajaj View Post
Let me try to address the fault issue. First of all, there is no NDA or such agreement. I simply wanted to highlight the service provided by Volvo. I don't want to mention the exact issue due to my conscious and I'm afraid that it can be misunderstood and interpreted in a way which is not my intent. The car had a small mechanical issue, so small that if detected at the time of QC (driving), would have been fixed within hours. The issue was not related to engine or turbocharger or any major component. But due to issue remained undetected, consequently it triggered multiple failures due to its side effect.

What I want to convey here is mistakes happen. It can happen with any manufacturer and product. In fact, there are hundreds of examples in this forum itself where owners are struggling with their new car. The Volvo's first attempt was to fix the issue by replacing all damaged components. However, me and wife did not like the idea and…
Every car ownership experience is a learning for others reading the threads in future. Wish you had discussed the exact issue. BTW, if the issue could have been fixed easily during QC, you are lucky to get the whole car replaced (I understand more systems developed issue later on).

Volvo XC60 rating: 5/5
Thread rating: 1/5
PaddleShifter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 09:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
Congrats deepak bajaj and welcome to the club.
You have purchased the XC60 at the right time during the transition to hybrids and electrics.
Thanks for your warm wishes. Yes I intend to keep the car as long as possible so that I can enjoy it to the fullest. I'm still not into electric as I cannot justify their current prices and current infrastructure for charging EVs does not give me confidence. This will change 5 years down the line.

Quote:
You will notice a change in your driving style after a while.
100% agree with you on this. I have become more responsible and relaxed. I now avoid unnecessary lane switches.

Quote:
I test drove the B5 recently and I too felt it very numb to drive.
You are spot on this observation. The car is meant for relaxed driving but can dash when required. Yes the engine sound is not music to ears when pushed hard. But behaves excellently when speed is built gradually.

Quote:
I can imagine the pains you would have gone through when your car broke down. Especially on a family trip. But Volvo and your dealer have managed this commendably. They have done their bit to reduce the pain you and your family had endured. And kudos to them for replacing your car. Even some reputed brands in our country do the usual business of passing the buck around when they are met with this situation.
I also wanted to highlight the service and commitment provided by Volvo. Not all brands live up to their reputation. And yes, I intend to regularly update this thread with my experience with the car and hope to receive your patronage in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitjain View Post
Just bought Audi Q5 and had done the same exercise by driving all the cars in the segment X3, GLC and XC60 as well as discovery sport.
Heartiest congratulations on your new purchase. May you have many happy miles with the car. Which color did you go for? And yes 12L is a lot of money to save. Wise decision. But this time, I went with my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Congratulations on getting the XC60. Wishing you lacs of happy ownership kilometers. Being a Delhi resident, you did the right thing by opting for a petrol car instead of diesel.

Every car ownership experience is a learning for others reading the threads in future. Wish you had discussed the exact issue. BTW, if the issue could have been fixed easily during QC, you are lucky to get the whole car replaced (I understand more systems developed issue later on).

Volvo XC60 rating: 5/5
Thread rating: 1/5
Thanks for your warm wishes. Yes Diesel was not a option for me since I plan to hold this car for longer period. Through this thread, I wanted to share the positive experience with Volvo India as well as service center. The fault is not important as it was one of those rare cases. Trust me, it was not a fault associated with any main component. And yes, I thank my stars to get my car replaced which is very uncommon and this where Volvo stood out.

Thanks for your ratings. I would try to improve my future threads to be more informative and useful to other readers.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 21:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Volvo replaced our car!!
Really had to read it twice to believe what I read. In a sea of consumer horror stories and terrible ownership experiences, this has come out as a pleasant surprise! There are many "famed" manufacturers who disown their consumers immediately after the car is delivered, and here is Volvo - replacing a new car! You have my respect, Volvo!

The XC60 is an amazing car and looks beautiful in that white shade. Heartiest congratulations to you and your family and wish you many happy miles with it!
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 10:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Really had to read it twice to believe what I read. In a sea of consumer horror stories and terrible ownership experiences, this has come out as a pleasant surprise!
Very true and this is what I want to share and highlight. As rightly said by you that "In a sea of consumer horror stories ...", this shines out with its customer commitment. I reiterate that mistakes do happen. The important is how they are handled. A great positive in a sea of negatives with respect to customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
The XC60 is an amazing car and looks beautiful in that white shade. Heartiest congratulations to you and your family and wish you many happy miles with it!
Thanks for your warm wishes.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 18:55   #23

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! In today's time where car manufacturers and dealers are least bothered ab out the customer, this gesture by Volvo is truly a gamechanger and a USP.

Your post has definitely made me consider a Volvo as one of the options for my next purchase. I've so far been keenly waiting on the new X1. The new GLC is absolutely mouthwatering too. My purchase is still at least a couple years away so let's see how time pans out but I might take the plunge just for the level of support and peace of mind from Volvo!

While I loved your detailed descriptions about everything, I disagree with your point about not putting pictures as part of the review as they are widely available. I feel they help tie the story together in a cohesive manner and when I'm listening to you speak, I don't want to open another tab and do a Google search to see oh what did you mean here.
For example, when you talked about the dust and dirt issue on the rear doors, I couldn't make out what you mean just by the text. Also when you talked about those little flags on the seats, I was extremely curious to see them in a picture. So little things like these help tie together the story so much better that I would have had goosebumps from your post. But of course, this is only my opinion.

Again thank you so much for reviewing a rare gem and wishing you many happy miles ahead! Cheers!
bladegradev8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 17:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladegradev8 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! In today's time where car manufacturers and dealers are least bothered ab out the customer, this gesture by Volvo is truly a gamechanger and a USP.
Totally agree with you and this is what I wanted to highlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladegradev8 View Post
While I loved your detailed descriptions about everything, I disagree with your point about not putting pictures as part of the review as they are widely available. I feel they help tie the story together in a cohesive manner and when I'm listening to you speak, I don't want to open another tab and do a Google search to see oh what did you mean here.
For example, when you talked about the dust and dirt issue on the rear doors, I couldn't make out what you mean just by the text. Also when you talked about those little flags on the seats, I was extremely curious to see them in a picture. So little things like these help tie together the story so much better that I would have had goosebumps from your post. But of course, this is only my opinion.
I fully agree with your disagreement. I did not want to share general photos of the car but I do intend to support many of the observations along with photos. Only that due to my hectic schedule, I'm unbale to click the relevant photos and I did not want to delay sharing my observations. I will surely support my shared observations with relevant supporting photos very shortly.

Thanks for reading and sharing your views.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You are not getting the point. Why is it 'acceptable' to any consumer to invest 50~60 lacs of his hard earned money and to find a dud product eventually to get a replacement. Whatever happens next is secondary. Have you heard, for example, a main stream manufacturer, like say Suzuki, selling a dud in recent times and then replacing it, even if it's only a 5-6 lacs product. If they can maintain their quality control on mass produced cars why do you find it 'acceptable' that a premium car manufacturer cannot replicate the same? That is my point.

Cheers...
Are you suggesting that Maruti doesn’t sell cars with manufacturering issues ? because if you are that’s simply untrue and ridiculous.

My brother has an outstanding court case with Mercedes in chennai over the welding on his c class. These things happen. It doesn’t mean Mercedes is terrible. It’s an amazing brand that has very high levels of QC just like (or even higher) than volvo, or bmw (another brand where I know people who have had to deal with issues under warranty).

The very existence of a warranty at this price point suggests that things do go wrong. Apple is famed for its no questions approach to product warranty as well, the company has issued major recalls and replacement drives over the years. Is that a good thing or a bad thing ?

Maybe some members here have never personally used warranty or ever heard of the warranty being used by their friends and family. In which case I guess it’s only logical that they find a case of a warranty being implemented seamlessly, horrifying.

Last edited by reihem : 2nd October 2022 at 09:00. Reason: Typos
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Are you suggesting that Maruti doesn’t sell cars with manufacturering issues ?
Please enlighten us if they do in recent months.
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Please enlighten us if they do in recent months.
Sir, Maruti recalled 1.8 LAKH cars last year over manufacturing defects. This is easily available data.

Our Crystal White Pearl Volvo XC60 AWD, Mild Hybrid-f13d80d0d6d74b55bef8c877d668eca9.jpeg
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Sir, Maruti recalled 1.8 LAKH cars last year over manufacturing defects. This is easily available data.

Attachment 2363752
Yes, perhaps that is why they are largest selling brand in India. Anyways I would not wish to deviate in this current OPs thread. You can certainly raise your issues on a dedicated thread. As I had mentioned earlier, it is totally unacceptable, in my books, for a high value premium vehicle to reach its end customer with any kind of issue. Perhaps it is acceptable to you. I will leave it at that.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 20:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
... Which color did you go for?
Got white colour in Premium Plus

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th October 2022 at 12:06. Reason: Please quote relevant bits only. Thanks.
Old 10th October 2022, 21:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitjain View Post
XC60 was my first the choice of the heart but brain said go for Audi Q5.
Hearty congratulations on your purchase ! I am in a similar boat and thoroughly confused between X3, Q5, XC60 .

If you don’t mind, can you please share the deal you got on Q5 Premium Plus (PP) ?
As an overall package, what tilted you towards Q5 over X3 ?
Q5 PP Vs Tech - What made you go for PP ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks