Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2022, 22:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Crystal White Pearl Volvo XC60 AWD, Mild Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Sir, Maruti recalled 1.8 LAKH cars last year over manufacturing defects. This is easily available data.
Manufacturing defects are of many kinds. It could be a defect in assembly or a defective batch of a particular part/ component. The example you have cited above is related to the MGU part which was found to be a fire risk in certain situations and was, therefore, replaced proactively by Maruti with an updated part to avoid any mishap. This is not the same as assembling a particular piece with defects. And then shrugging the responsibility by asking the customer to get the car repaired every time it develops a problem.

What the car is question had was a defective manufacturing that caused further problems. And Volvo showed ownership by replacing the entire car.

Manufacturing defects can and will occur even with the best of products. Its upto the manufacturer to own up and ensure that the customer does not suffer because of that.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 23:00   #32
BHPian

Congrats on your new Car! She sure does look lovely and I agree with most of your comments... I own the younger sibling of your car, the XC40 and it has been a pleasure to own and drive. I agree with the relatively sedate driving experience when compared to BMW but it wins on features offered that's what sealed the deal for me.

Wishing you many miles of happiness with your new car! and really impressed with Volvo on handling the issue and for replacing your car...unheard of... form a manufacturer. But, they converted you into a promoter from a potential detractor and this will only provide more confidence for folks buying in to the brand.
gismosin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 18:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
What the car is question had was a defective manufacturing that caused further problems. And Volvo showed ownership by replacing the entire car.

Manufacturing defects can and will occur even with the best of products. Its upto the manufacturer to own up and ensure that the customer does not suffer because of that.
Very well said sir. This is exactly my point and the intent to highlight this aspect. Such actions from manufacturer's induce confidence in a brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post
Congrats on your new Car! She sure does look lovely and I agree with most of your comments... I own the younger sibling of your car, the XC40 and it has been a pleasure to own and drive. I agree with the relatively sedate driving experience when compared to BMW but it wins on features offered that's what sealed the deal for me.

Wishing you many miles of happiness with your new car! and really impressed with Volvo on handling the issue and for replacing your car...unheard of... form a manufacturer. But, they converted you into a promoter from a potential detractor and this will only provide more confidence for folks buying in to the brand.
Thanks for your warm wishes. You are very right that it only lacks in one department and that is "fun quotient". But it excels in every other department. And as the saying goes, no car is perfect.

My wife loved XC40 very much. She still loves it. We considered it while shortlisting X1 but at that time "fun quotient" and BMW brand won over. We were upgrading from Swift and owning an X1 was like a dream come true. I somehow don't like the dark interiors of XC40 and that is probably the only grudge apart from not so comfortable rear (no offense just my personal opinion).

But Volvo as a brand is much ahead of BMW in all areas (again my personal opinion).
deepak_bajaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 00:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_bajaj View Post
But Volvo as a brand is much ahead of BMW in all areas (again my personal opinion).
I’m sure there would definitely be upsides of having economies of scale. For example I’ve observed that Mercedes Spares availability has almost always been in stock for regular service items. I have had occasions of facing issues with BMW Group but I chalked that down to me having rarer cars.

Moving on, as someone who has experience with the XC60 I would say your review and assessment is spot on. I actually learnt a few things which I didn’t know about. Thanks for sharing such a thorough and detailed review. I would request if a nice juicy update now that you’ve spent a good amount of time with the car.

Last edited by quickdraw : 5th December 2023 at 00:58.
Old 26th December 2023, 21:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Moving on, as someone who has experience with the XC60 I would say your review and assessment is spot on. I actually learnt a few things which I didn’t know about. Thanks for sharing such a thorough and detailed review. I would request if a nice juicy update now that you’ve spent a good amount of time with the car.
Apologies for the late response as i was busy with my office schedule. Thanks for your comments and it is really pleasing to know that you find the review interesting and informative. Will be posting 10k km update shortly.
Old 27th December 2023, 10:23   #36
BHPian

15k km Update

Hello everyone. Excited to post that car has completed 15,000km this month. The car was serviced (under package) at around 9,400 kms. Following are the observations so far grouped under Pros and Cons for ready reference. Touch wood, not a single issue came up so far except for wiper blades.
Not all cons are deal breaker for me. Cons that bother me are stared for reference.

Pros
  • Fantastic car. It grows on you as you use it. Seats are super comfy both front and back although I would love to have more under thigh support at rear. But they are comfortable.
  • Lumbar support is very useful and both me and wife love it.
  • Massaging is really effective and helps in long drives. I'm really enjoying it.
  • Heating function works perfectly during winters and we both enjoy it. Keeps your back and bottom comfortably warm.
  • AC is fantastic and always keeps the temperature accurate but for once in a recent trip where when outside was 21 and AC temperature was set to 24/25, then also it was chilling inside instead of warm.
  • Sound system is mind blowing. Absolutely love it whether at rear or front. Although front is more enjoyable due to no hindrance from front seats.
  • No issues while overtaking or building up speed suddenly. Not BMW fast but fast enough so it does not bother.
  • Steering is lite and feels very comfortable. It firms up sufficiently at higher speeds.
  • Large boot space to comfortably accommodate luggage of 5 adults for 3-4 days.
  • Panoramic sunroof is large and brings in lots of light. Rear passengers love it.
  • Cruise control with automatic braking and lane assist is very helpful on highways provided other cars are being driven in lane. I used it extensively on Agra-Lucknow expressway and Delhi-Mumbai expressway.
  • ADAS not accurate but mostly helpful. During a recent drive, I got distracted for a second from a light reflection from under one of the overhead bridge (some metal was used which was reflecting sunlight). I missed that the car in front has slowed down. ADAS alerted me quickly and before it could intervene with automatic braking, I applied the breaks on time to slow down. At one of the occasions, it even applied assisted braking which was helpful.
  • Lane Assist is helpful in assuring a disciplined drive.
  • Google maps in driver display console is very helpful. You don't need to look at big screen most of the time.
  • Fit and finish of material is top notch. Leather is very soft and supple. Gear lever looks beautiful. Subtle with a soft light inside.
  • 360 degree camera is very helpful and helps in tight spaces. It is very very accurate and super clear.
  • GC is fantastic. never have to bother about roads or no roads. But never taken it for any off-roading yet.
  • Cabin is very quiet and locks out all traffic noises. You are in your own cocoon. Some tire noise at high speed (>100) and engine noise do filter in but that is noticeable only when you are not talking and no music playing. I would say excellent noise control in the cabin.
  • Volvo service is top notch and I'm their fan. very professional, humble and courteous. I requested them to install my dash cam as I did not want to get it done through some local guy. Did a fantastic professional job with reasonable charges.

Cons
  • *Soft parcel tray at the back is uncomfortable and practically unusable but for very lite pcs. such as jackets, ladies purse etc.
  • Door pockets, especially at the back are vey small and uncomfortable for practical use. However, we are able to stow away 500ml water bottles / thermos.
  • High beam assist, although a good feature, becomes annoying very quickly. It keeps on fluctuating the beam even on slightest detection of object or vehicle in front or on the other side of road. Didn't find it comfortable but I still use it hoping I will get used to it.
  • Wiper blades have started to leave streaks in one year use only. Given the fact that car is always parked in basement but for odd trips, the wiper blades should have lasted more in my opinion.
  • GPS and Internet still misbehave occasionally although the frequency of such instances has reduced a lot after cumulative software updates.
  • *TPMS does not show values so you are always in dark and cannot take any preventive action. Happened with me twice when suddenly TPMS generated low pressure warning. The tire was found punctured but had there been a value display, corrective action could have been taken on time to avoid such instances.
  • There is no indication of engine temperature which is useful to read.
  • I would love to have few more inches of space at rear for a more comfortable and luxurious experience.
  • Ride is slightly wobbling if road is not smooth. It does not unsettles the car in any way but gives you a bouncy ride. The car is otherwise settled and confidence aspiring.
  • Steering lacks any feedback typical of any electronic steering.
  • Gear position is indicated in driver console only. Not a bummer for me but takes a little while to get used to it. I'm comfortable now.
  • **I still did not get used to touch screen controls and find them annoying especially AC control.
  • Center screen display is finger magnet so needs to be cleaned up regularly.
  • Storage space could be more for storing small items. I miss driver side under seta storage and small cubby hole provided in X1. It used to came handy for storing cleaning cloth and parking receipts respectively.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 09:17   #37
BHPian

@deepak Bajaj, which dash cam have you installed? Can you elaborate a little on it? I too want to install one and a little insight would be of great help. Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2024, 17:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
@deepak Bajaj, which dash cam have you installed? Can you elaborate a little on it? I too want to install one and a little insight would be of great help. Thanks.
I have installed Viofo A129 Duo Full HD (front and rear) without battery (supercap). I have also added CPL filter in front to minimize reflections. The camera does a decent job with simple app. No sounds, no unnecessary screen turning on. Kind of fit it and forget it. If the memory card is not present, the camera's backside screen stays on otherwise it turns off automatically after few seconds. No issues since 1.5 years.
Old 2nd January 2024, 17:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_bajaj View Post
I have installed Viofo A129 Duo Full HD (front and rear) without battery (supercap). I have also added CPL filter in front to minimize reflections. The camera does a decent job with simple app. No sounds, no unnecessary screen turning on. Kind of fit it and forget it. If the memory card is not present, the camera's backside screen stays on otherwise it turns off automatically after few seconds. No issues since 1.5 years.
Can the Installtion be done outside of Volvo service centre?

Secondly, I haven’t yet done any research to decide on the model but a little look up there up 70mai, DDPAI, Qubo and Redtiger. Don’t want to waste too much effort but just go ahead and get something already proven.

I also have a query about the car mat. Any suggestions? Type and make.
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Can the Installtion be done outside of Volvo service centre?
Absolutely. It's just that I was hard pressed on time and given my experience with general labour, I trusted Volvo for a complete satisfaction and professional job. I'm sure you can get it done outside.

Quote:
Secondly, I haven’t yet done any research to decide on the model but a little look up there up 70mai, DDPAI, Qubo and Redtiger. Don’t want to waste too much effort but just go ahead and get something already proven.
I looked up most of the brands mentioned by you but I found their UI to be annoying as read through various reviews and most came with battery. Although Viofo is expensive but it ticked both the boxes. So went for it. And yes, Viofo offered 18 months warranty that sealed the deal for me.

Quote:
I also have a query about the car mat. Any suggestions? Type and make.
I went for 3M Nomad series mats but their quality has degraded. I will not recommend. In a span of 1.5 years, the driver side mat started to come off where your right foot lands mostly. Also, they have reduced the thickness so that it does not feel padded any more.
At present, I'm not sure which one to go for.
Old 3rd January 2024, 19:18   #41
BHPian

I wanted to fit a dash cam and enquired with Volvo Hyderabad. The service centre told me that they neither do it, nor they recommend it. He told that, it MAY have issues w.r.t warranty. I asked him to be specific, rather than keep it in doubt. He said that it always remains in doubt and a claim can be returned quoting fitment of dash cam. Very shady answer, which I knew isn’t right. I also told that Volvo service centres in other cities are doing it. But he said we don’t.

I also asked for mats. They sent me a pic of these rubber mats, that are imported from Sweden (as claimed) with a price tag of +17K. 🫣🫣 Yes, +17 K for mats. These mats look very good and I wanted precisely these but price??? That’s too high for an item like mats.

Our Crystal White Pearl Volvo XC60 AWD, Mild Hybrid-photo20240103161029.jpeg
Old 4th January 2024, 10:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to fit a dash cam and enquired with Volvo Hyderabad. The service centre told me that they neither do it, nor they recommend it. He told that, it MAY have issues w.r.t warranty. I asked him to be specific, rather than keep it in doubt. He said that it always remains in doubt and a claim can be returned quoting fitment of dash cam. Very shady answer, which I knew isn’t right. I also told that Volvo service centres in other cities are doing it. But he said we don’t.
This could be true if you are getting it hardwired which I did not. In case you are going to power it up using the USB port, they are talking rubbish. They can still deny the fitment as you have not purchased the accessory from them and this happened with me too. However, after a polite talk and agreeing to pay the labour charges, they did it.

Quote:
I also asked for mats. They sent me a pic of these rubber mats, that are imported from Sweden (as claimed) with a price tag of +17K. 🫣🫣 Yes, +17 K for mats. These mats look very good and I wanted precisely these but price??? That’s too high for an item like mats.

Attachment 2553525
The mats are absolutely lovely and very high quality. I got them with my car and I kept them aside. But you won't find mats of such quality in local market. The fit and finish is top notch. And yes, they are imported from Sweden. I had seen the packaging during delivery.
If you love these kinds of mats, you should take the plunge as these will last you many years.
Old 29th February 2024, 20:33   #43

Has anyone used the off road mode on their XC60?

Used it on mine the other day. Found it to have a mind of its own and rather adept at getting itself out of tight spots with only three wheels on the ground.

Pity it decides to quit off road after 40kph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks