wow thats a silent killer
Old 27th July 2007, 13:01   #62
Rockzer

Nice Review Dude...
The Pics are Awesome...

Old 6th August 2007, 12:21   #63
BHPian

@Rockzer - thanks buddy

Latest on the whole tank dent repair episode - all parts but the central exhaust assembly are in and fitted - new fuel pump (got to see the workings of the fuel pump - still kicking myself for not taking my camera to the service station so i could have some pics for you guys), new fuel tank (the old one was dented pretty badly) and a coat of anti-rust underbody coating (cost me Rs. 1.9k at Manipal) - I held off on providing an update until we had the silencer assembly (the central part right next to the fuel pump was dented, and insurance covered that - so replacing the whole assembly right from the piece after the manifold, till the final exhaust), but its been two weeks now that i've been driving around, and still haven't heard of the part availability. The latest as of last Friday was that Fiat Pune had shipped the assembly, but sent the Adventure one instead of the 1.6 sport one - which evidently didn't fit (i still fail to understand how such gross mistakes can be made)

The car has done around 1600 kms now, and the latest top up returned 10.99 kmpl in 100% city driving, with a/c on around 40-50% of the time (Shell normal unleaded - as always) The first service fixed the rattling from the front left window, and the bardahl oil additive seems to have made the engine sound louder than before (yeah yeah - i am totally in love with the engine sound - now i know why everyone refers to it as addictive!) Now the only rattling is from the plastic grille on the front bumper, which seemed to have come loose (it was opened during the first service, and not put back properly i think) I've removed the entire piece off (still looks good from the front, without the black cover on the radiator) and intend to get it fitted on my next visit to Manipal. Absolutely no rattles now - and all original concerns about noises creeping in have gone away. Definitely reducing concerns on the Stile build quality vis-a-vis the retro.

The heavy rains in Bangalore, and my work schedule have meant a thick layer of mud on the sides - took a good look today, and decided that i like the way it looks - kind off like an offroader (does it hurt the paint to leave the mud sticking there for some more time? - i am really beginning to like the way it looks now - a lot less cuter, and a lot more macho) The rear wiper is turning out to be a huge benefit in the rains - i never thought i'd use it as much as i do nowadays, the headlights are awesome in the rains too, and for the first time in my life i can shift to high-beam, and actually force the idiot coming towards me to switch his beam back to low (aah - how i love that moment) - all city commute is comfortably covered with low beam and the fogs on - gradually getting the confidence to take her back on the highway, and another 500km+ trip coming up this weekend.

Still waiting to complete the 10k (should take 2-3 months) and then switch to synthetic - next update after the weekend trip (Wayanad it is...)
Old 21st September 2007, 14:56   #64
BHPian

3600 km - an accident, and update on Manipal's handling

I seem to never run out of issues with my Stile. The car is now 3 months old, and had an underbody impact in its first month of use - whose service/ replacement handing was slow, and left much to be desired. Having done extreme follow up with the FIAT parts dept. at Pune, and having been assured of faster turnaround in the future - i see that not much has changed with how issues are dealt with for this car.

I had the misfortune of having another minor accident because of the heavy rains in Bangalore, and the related water logging on the roads. It was last saturday, and the roads around HSR layout were choked with traffic, because most primary roads were cut off due to the water logging. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and was making a right turn around a circle. In this slow moving traffic, we had a genius on a bike, who had decided that the wrong side of the road was a much better option, rather than following all the other vehicles on the proper side of the road. What was worse was that he was doing 60-70kmph, and couldn't even brake in time when he saw my car making the turn around the circle. The next thing i know - he's hit my front, and i was instantly worried that those 16K beauties up front were done for.

I still had some share of good luck on the day i suppose - because all the lights were still intact, but the bumper was well and truly broken. The biker was severely apologetic, begged forgiveness - and all that, but the next phase is more interesting.

Took the car to Manipal for repairs on Monday - and was told that the bumper was not in stock, but would be ordered immediately. I was told that someone would be giving me a call in the next 2-3 days, so i could get the bumper fitted. Brought the car back home, with a broken number plate, torn bumper, and to curious looks of people on the road. Waited until Thursday - no word from Manipal, so finally decide to follow up directly with FIAT. I get a response back on 21st morning, which says that Manipal has placed an order for the bumper on the 21st - and in parallel, i have the service advisor call me to inform that they have placed the order on 17th itself, and expect the part to come in by the 25th.

An incredibly frustrating scenario - where the dealer has wasted 5 days just to place an order, knowing full well that they didn't have the part in stock (i trust FIAT on this one, because the person responding back from FIAT had the order number from the service center with the date)

So there you have it - a company trying desperately to establish a toehold in a market that's pretty much given up on them, and a dealer network that firstly refuses to stock parts locally, and then wastes a ridiculous amount of time in ordering them from the factory - I don't see how Fiat will be able to sell any more cars then they do currently - even with the linea, punto, panda and what not...

The only satisfaction is from the fact that with every passing day, the Palio is becoming increasingly endearing as a car to love and have, but no thanks to the A.S.S for that.

Sincere advise to others in similar situations - do not hesitate to mail service@fiat.com, which is incredibly responsive on mails, and doesn't miss a chance to follow-up with the TATA motors regional officers (I guess that's one good thing of selling only 300+ cars a month - the service dept. can afford that personal attention for each issue)
Old 14th December 2007, 19:47   #65
BHPian

7000 km service update

7000km, time for another long trip, and the second service just before that. The trip is still two weeks away, and i call Manipal to check their service availablity - evidently they are so backed up that the only available date is in the first week of Jan '08. That wouldn't work for me - and i'd heard good things about Green Tracks, so i call them up. They are available any day i need to drop my car off - so i do it two days after i call them.

Good service experience - and the service advisor also pointed out the shoddy paint job Manipal had done on the front bumper (They'd painted directly on a factory bumper, without preparing the surface - so the paint was prone to peeling off) Will probably end up at Manipal, and fight it out.

Just the routine oil change, oil filter, fuel filter (i hadn't asked for it, but the service incharge took it upon himself to change it), new wiper blades - and we are all set for the trip into Kerala.

The engine tone has gone down, and it sounds a little smoother than before. I am convinced that i need to move to synthetic - and thats coming up at the third service. 7.5k kms more to go.

Overall feedback on Green Tracks - i thought the shopfloor was much better than manipal, definitely cleaner and better organized. The customer wait area was clean, functional - and the staff very courteous. The best part was that delivery was given 45 minutes before the promised time - very punctual.

I'm impressed enough to probably make them my regular service center.

About the car itself - no real updates - still a beauty, no issues so far, and the part i am very happy about - absolutely no rattles so far (keeping my fingers crossed after hearing so many rattle stories on the new stiles - i've been lucky so far i guess) Can't wait to get on the beautiful roads of Kerala, and redline in each gear.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

nice to hear you found yourself a good place to take care of your car raghu seriously the A.S.S for fiat is a pain with the new tata merger
Old 14th December 2007, 22:40   #67
BHPian

Hey bottle! I really don't have anything to complain about with Manipal Motors - i thought their service the first time was pretty good (except for the bumper paint job after the bike accident) The only reason i went to Green Tracks was because of the 20 day wait at Manipal :-) Turns out that i now have two places that i can go to - and i will probably prefer Green Tracks, because i'll never be able to plan my services 20 days in advance!

How's yours holding up - how'd the door job go?
Old 14th December 2007, 23:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Expecting to see a travelogue soon with your Ferrari gracing the sceneries.
Old 17th February 2008, 09:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

What about the F.E updates after second service.
Old 18th February 2008, 11:13   #70
BHPian

Quite frankly Gemi - i've stopped tracking actual mileage numbers after i hit 5-6k km mark. I am now at around 12K, and approx mileage would be around 9-10kmpl in Bangalore city, with ~30% A/c, and ~14km on the highway - again with ~30% A/c. When i did check highway mileage figures once, post 2nd service - i got 12.37 kmpl with very high a/c usage (around 90% of the time)

Also happy to report that there haven't been any issues so far - although there is a lot of tyre squeal under hard cornering - planning on changing the tyres around the 25km mark, which should come up in the next 6-7 months.

Am really missing ABS on this beauty though :-(
Old 22nd February 2008, 09:27   #71
BHPian

i too had to change the fr. bumper after a minor collision, they are'nt as hard as they were on the retro. after speaking with a.s.s i prefer it without the dots was told that they would have to order as it was not in stock. instead what i did was purchased 1 from the market for 8k give it at a local garage whose owner is a childhood friend of mine and got the car delivered the next evening.the cherry on the icing was i even got the hood repainted as some wise guy had scratched it.
i no many wont agree with me on this but one must have real good contacts with a local garage if he has a fiat u just cant depend on a.s.s
but make sire you know the locals well enough or u might end up in an even bigger hole
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
Hey bottle! I really don't have anything to complain about with Manipal Motors - i thought their service the first time was pretty good (except for the bumper paint job after the bike accident) The only reason i went to Green Tracks was because of the 20 day wait at Manipal :-) Turns out that i now have two places that i can go to - and i will probably prefer Green Tracks, because i'll never be able to plan my services 20 days in advance!

How's yours holding up - how'd the door job go?
missed reading your post rahul , door job went ok paint job was atrocious alternator died recently and was replaced under warranty. will probably put up a 10k report soon
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schume View Post
i too had to change the fr. bumper after a minor collision, they are'nt as hard as they were on the retro.
Are you sure about that? I think bumper damage in the Stile is more to do with the new design, which has a lot of air vents on the bumper - providing a non-continuous surface more prone to breakage, than on the retro. Good thing about that local garage - but that wasn't an option for me as i was claiming insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
missed reading your post rahul , door job went ok paint job was atrocious alternator died recently and was replaced under warranty. will probably put up a 10k report soon
Why can't they get their paint job right - its not rocket science is it! These guys broke a piece of my old bumper to get that "perfect" paint match, and still botched it up. The bumper is a much darker shade!! Am planning on getting the whole bumper repainted again at the third service (There have been enough nicks and scratches on it to justify the cost) The effects of having body colored bumpers, on a blazing red car ....
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

yea .. at least for your car its red so there are chances for mismatch.. mine is black and still colors dont match :( also there are lot of bubbles and rough areas that look like unpainted metal
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
yea .. at least for your car its red so there are chances for mismatch.. mine is black and still colors dont match :( also there are lot of bubbles and rough areas that look like unpainted metal
Believe me mismatches look much more stark in black. However, paint matching is where I am very happy with Ford (after some initial goof-ups)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks