Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 03:13   #1
BHPian

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review

Earlier, I has shared a small summary of likes and dislikes of the car: link: (2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh)
As I spend more time with the car, I have revised it as follows

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-screenshot-101.png

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 19th March 2023 at 23:09.
tanmay1904 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 04:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid Review

Prologue:

We had a Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 G bought new in 2010. Just like the Camry with us currently, the Altis was given as a perquisite by the office to my father. It was a lovely car, comfortable, smooth, good ride quality in the city and more importantly, very reliable. This was a car that I sort of learnt driving in and had clocked around 1,74,XXX kms when we exchanged it with the Camry.
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-corolla-altis-front-2.jpg
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-corolla-altis-rear.jpg

Honestly, there was no real reason to upgrade, but the Altis had started giving us some troubles, like the suspension requiring work and car revving unnecessarily, both of which were expensive to repair but were sorted out. My father decided to get a new car upon my persuasion and took approval from the company's management. The requirements were (not in any order):
  • Car should be reliable with low maintenance costs.
  • Should be comfortable and spacious.
  • Should have no badge value and should look understated.
  • No SUVs
  • Bells and Whistles not a priority
  • Should have all the possible safety features

To be honest we would have bought a Corolla Altis again as it would have been a perfect car had the model not been discontinued from the Indian market. However, I suggested the Camry to my father as I feel the car retains the strengths of the Altis and amplifies it even more.

Alternatives considered
Skoda Superb.
This is a car which I have always loved. Be it the classy styling, the 2.0 turbo petrol engine, the space, and the kit on offer. The reviews written by GTO and GForceEnjoyer made me fall in love with the Superb even more. We booked a test drive of the car and reached Akoya Skoda at Bavdhan sometime in November 2022. The SA whom we were in touch with simply handed us over to his colleague to take us for a test drive. Now, that person was not at all interested in showing us the car, he simply sat in the front seat and let us have a very short test drive of the car, which left us with a sour taste in our mouth. Also, the Skoda after sales horror stories scared my father. To be honest, we liked the car, the dealer even had a White car in stock which he said he could deliver before the end of November 2022, but we refused.

Coming to the Camry, there are 3 dealers in Pune, namely Sonak (from where we got the car), Shaw and Sharayu Toyota. All the dealers claimed that there was a near 5 month waiting period and Shaw and Sharayu claimed that they will take a 5 lakh deposit as a booking amount as well as no car available for a test drive.

However, Sonak Toyota told my father that they will take only 1 lakh as booking amount and to my father they sounded more professional and said that they will try to arrange for a test drive ASAP.

On 15th November, the corporate sales head at Sonak called my father and informed him that they have received a new Platinum White Pearl (the colour I wanted) car, available for delivery and have displayed it in the showroom and we can come and have a look at it. He sent some photos, of which I have attached one below.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-camry-showroom.jpg
The car on display in the showroom.

Me and my Father went to the showroom and were pleasantly surprised by the behaviour of the sales head named Abhishek Shinde. He explained every feature of the car with patience and even managed to arrange for a test drive of a pre-facelift 2021 car used by their higher management. The TD went well, my father liked the reclining rear seats, but did not like the feel of the throttle. After the TD, I realized that the car was left in sport mode and was causing this issue.

Now, I really do not know how the dealer managed to get hold of a new unit. The story given to us was that a customer had booked a silver one and the dealership got a white example which the customer refused to take. However, I like to think there was a cancellation when Toyota had raised the car's prices significantly in October 2022 and/ or the car was forced upon the dealer by Toyota. Nevertheless, we made payment of the car in the coming few days and the day later I did a PDI with helpful inputs from BHPian Happysmiles. The PDI went well, and the sticker on the windshield showed that the car was manufactured in October 2022 and dispatched from the factory on 2nd November 2022 which was reassuring of the fact that this particular example was not used by anyone before.

Coming to the price, the Car costed my father's company Rs. 57,4X,XXX including extended warranty and the premium for the Pearl white colour before exchange of our Altis. The dealer did not give us a cash discount but gave us 30K worth of free accessories and some underbody and exterior coating for free. We did buy some accessories on top of that. Personally, I do not think the car is worth that kind of money, but we had no proper options in the Sedan space. The Superb would have costed us ~9 lakhs cheaper but was not worth according to me given that it would have considerably more running costs.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 27th March 2023 at 10:58.
tanmay1904 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 04:49   #3
BHPian

No of kms at time of writing the review: ~4500 kms.

Usage pattern; Mainly city usage in Pune and mainly chauffeur driven from Baner to my father's office in Thergaon. Occasionally, 3-4 times in a year will be driven down to Mumbai via the expressway. I estimate the car will do ~10000 kms in a year.

Exterior Styling:

Looks good, front grill is not to everyone's taste, but looks much better in this facelift avatar of this car. However, the chrome elements surrounding the front grill is an eyesore to me. Also, the rear windscreen glass sort of wraps around the rear quarter pillar near the roof and makes the car look weird in light colours when viewed from the rear 3/4. Personally, I do not think this kind of styling suits the Camry in India, it looks sporty, unlike the royal and sophisticated look of the previous XV50 generation Camry.
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-grill-chrome-element-surround.jpg
The chrome surround mentioned above.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-rear-window.jpeg
The rear windscreen protruding inside the C-pillar

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-view.jpeg
Front view

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-sideview.jpeg
Side View

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-rearview.jpeg
Rear View

Exterior build quality, fit and finish, etc.:
Build is good and as mentioned in the official review, the doors are heavy. The paint feels good, but not to the extent as how the Germans finish the car. There are some uneven panel gaps near the headlights and some places in the interior. As mentioned before our car is optioned with the Platinum White Pearl colour, which costs an extra Rs.15000 ex-showroom. This colour is more whitish than the pearl white offered on the Fortuner/ Innova Crysta which look slightly off-white. The pearlescent effect only shows when there is direct light on the car.
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-pearlescent-effect.jpg

Wheels and tires:
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-20230316_093659.jpg
The car rides on 18inch wheels shod with 235/45 R18 tires. The tires are made by Bridgestone. One complaint I have is that these tires make excessive road noise.
The rims look much better than that of the pre-facelift, but will make a heavy dent on the pocket when it comes to replacing them. I think the size of 18 inches and above are an overkill for Indian road conditions. Have opted for Alloy and Tire protect in the insurance just in case they get damaged.

Good and Bad about the features:
The car is loaded with equipment but misses out on some essential features. For example, the car does not have 360 degree camera, front parking sensors (front side sensors are provided though) and panoramic sunroof. Now, the car we get in India is similar to the Thai spec Camry and I think the CKD kits are imported from Thailand itself. But the Thai spec Camry gets the 360 degree camera and additional sensors, while markets like Pakistan, Japan and American Countries get a Panoramic Sunroof. I expect some of these features to be added in 2024 at least. The attention to detail is again a hit or miss. For example, the car asks you if you wish to roll up the windows when travelling at highway speeds, when switching off the car after a drive the car reminds you to check the rear seat, if you have left any stuff on the rear seat in case the rear door was opened before setting off, but at the same time misses out on backlighting for the memory seat buttons and there is no 'off' button for the Auto headlights which itself are a touch too sensitive. Also, the car does not have any switchable colour options for the ambient lighting.

The car gets some cool features though, like the electrically reclining rear seats, 4 way electrically adjustable steering wheel, electric folding rear sunshade, ventilated front seats, boss button to recline & move the front passenger seat back & forth. The memory function button not just controls the front driver seat, but also adjust the ORVMs and the steering wheel according to the settings. My only gripe is that there are only 2 presets for this unlike the 3 offered in the Superb.
One party trick is that the steering wheel automatically recedes and goes up vertically to aid in ingress & egress when the car is turned off and reverts to the original position when the car is switched on again.

Safety:
The car comes with 9 Airbags (including the driver's knee airbag) ABS, traction control system, ESP, etc. Except the Kodiaq, I think no car at this price point offers these many airbags. However, The Indian version misses out on the passenger knee airbag offered in some countries and skips out on ADAS which, however, is not something I would miss. The brakes though have a different feel and I felt they are a bit grabby but okay in terms of bite. Overall, the safety features make the passengers in the car feel very safe.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 8th June 2023 at 00:04.
tanmay1904 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:35   #4
BHPian

Interior Design & quality:

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-dashboard.jpeg

Now this is a slight disappointment for me considering how much this car costs. The centre console design in the facelift has a very uninspiring design and there is no sense of occasion at all. The floating head unit looks very aftermarket. I really liked the design of the pre-facelift. It was simple, sober and the Y- like design was a bit more palpable. In the facelift though, the center air vents were moved down and the original position were covered with a cheap, tacky looking plastic panel. Toyota didn't even bother making it look in sync with the remaining part of the dashboard. Also, the panel surrounding the window switches are now made of simple plastic, compared to the piano black finish of the pre-facelift. The rear ac vents also feel very brittle. Some parts of the interior like the leather panel on the passenger side dashboard, below the driver side air vent and the front center armrests are draped in white artificial leather when compared to beige interior and the leather on the gear lever boot feels very cheap. The seat leather is not made of any fancy material like Nappa, but are soft enough for me. One complaint I have is that the car interior gets soiled very easily and will require multiple cleaning in a year, something which we are not going to do. Toyota does not offer Tan coloured interior as an option in India, even when it is available abroad in some markets.

On the positive aspect of the interior, the black veneered wooden finish on the passenger side dashboard and near the gear lever looks and feels very premium. Looks much better than the silver panel of the pre-facelift version. Also, the upper part of the dashboard is clad in premium feeling soft touch plastic

The black veneered finish.

Interior Space and Comfort (front):

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-seats.jpeg

The 10 way electrically adjustable seats are very comfortable and as mentioned in the official review, the seats are slightly stiff but are very good for long drives and as a result the back will not pain when compared to the Altis. The space is good and the seat has a healthy range for the height adjustment. However, I would have preferred more adjustment for the under-thigh support. The front headrests are tilted a bit forward, but are comfortable. One minor complaint is that though the lumbar support is good, it is not adjustable vertically vis a vis the Skoda Superb (which has a 12 way electrically adjustable seat). One interesting thing to note (and correct me if wrong) is that the previous generation Camry also had a 10 way adjustable seat, but would be advertised as 8 way electrically adjustable seat plus lumbar support. Here is a short article on the different adjustability of electric seats link.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-headresta.jpeg
The front headrests

Driving Position and ergonomics:

Given that the driver seat and steering have a healthy amount of adjustment range available, the driving position is spot on. As a matter of fact, when the seat is in its highest position, you can get a very commanding view of the front. Unlike the Altis, the fairly wide front center armrest is not sliding nor height adjustable, yet is simply perfect for the driver as well as the co-passenger. In terms of ergonomics, well it could have been better, for example, the driver's seat windows switches and the memory settings buttons are located a bit too far ahead. You have to take your eyes of in case you wish to roll down/ up the windows. Also, the memory switches are not backlit, so it is a task in the dark to locate the button in which you have set your settings. On the previous gen Camry though, these buttons were located near the interior door handle for easy access. Apart from these things, the ergonomics are ok.

Visibility & size of the Mirrors:

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-interior-rear-view.jpeg

The front visibility is good, the A pillars are not a problem. however, the rear visibility truly sucks. This is because of the rear headrests and the C-Pillar's design. The only saving grace are the rear camera with dynamic guidelines and the rear sensors. Given the near 4.9 meter length of this car, it needs these assists for the driver to park the car carefully.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-orvm.jpeg

The size of the mirrors are just about ok. But I generally don't use the IRVM because of the rear visibility problem mentioned above. Also, I think the IRVM in the Camry and the Altis are identical. The driver side ORVM has a concave part towards the right of the mirror and helps slightly for extra visibility.

Air-conditioner cooling and effectiveness:

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-aircon-controls.jpeg

The cooling is very good and cools the cabin within seconds. The A/C in the Camry is a three zone climate control, with the front 2 passengers getting different temperature settings and the rear passengers getting a third one. The A/C gets toned down quite a bit when the car is in Eco mode though.

The Camry is also equipped with Panasonic's Nanoe technology. This technology helps fill the air with slightly acidic nanoe ions which are coated with water particles and are emitted through the driver side vent. Personally, I think this is a very good feature. Once, when I was driving from Mumbai and was stuck on the Ghat for more than 2 hours with the A/C on and I still felt fresh after driving for more than 5.5 hours and I think this Nanoe technology had a part to play in it.

One minor problem is that the controls for the rear A/C is are located in the rear center armrest and when three people are sitting in the rear, it gets difficult to operate them.

Interior storage, practicality & boot space:

The interior storage is disappointing vis a vis the Altis. The front door pockets are only large enough to hold 200/ 250ml bottles. The car has two cupholder in the middle near the gearlever. The front glovebox is medium in size, but I really miss the dual glovebox which the Altis offered. Now, coming to the boot, Toyota India has not specified the capacity, but in UK, where the car was sold till end 2021, it was mentioned to have 524 litres capacity and I assume it to be the same in India. It is well shaped and can carry ~4 large suitcases with ease, if you can arrange it properly. At the same time, the Camry's boot capacity pales in contrast with that of the Superb's 625 litres boot space.

Any other unique or noteworthy points about the interiors:

The front passenger seat's headrest can be folded down or to say collapses to give the rear passenger a better view of the front. To do so, recline the seat to a position where the headrest can be fully brought up and simply fold the headrest down. I was slightly surprised when I discovered this feature as Toyota had not marketed this feature at all for this generation of the Camry.
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-headrest-passenger.jpeg

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.27.jpeg
The sunroof is useless. It's very small and remains closed in our car. It does let in a bit of light though. I don't understand why Toyota didn't equip the car with panoramic sunroof especially when it is available in different markets around the globe.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.23.jpeg
The HUD display the car's engine RPM, the gear mode the car is in, the speed and the direction the car is pointing in. I personally feel it is a bit of distraction and remains off in the car.
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.39.jpeg
The front seatbelts are height adjustable.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th June 2023 at 12:07. Reason: edited
tanmay1904 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:37   #5
BHPian

Audio System and sound quality:
The Camry has a 9 speaker system which includes one subwoofer mounted on the rear parcel tray. Now I am not an audiophile, but like listening to music almost every time I drive. I can describe the system as adequate. It is not a disco on wheels as that of the canton system in the Skoda Superb. The clarity is good, but could have done with a bit more bass. One point to note is that the previous gen Camry had a 12 speaker system in years 2017 & 2018. I wonder why they removed 3 speakers in this gen. If I were to give the Superb 10/10 in terms of sound quality, I would give a 7.5/10 to the Camry's Sound system

The head unit is an eyesore. Not only does it look aftermarket, the UI is an eyesore. The menus are very cluttered, font and resolution are of poor quality.

The car comes with wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Nothing much to write about them either.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.28-1.jpeg

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.40.jpeg
This is all the setting available to tweak the sound quality. Couldnt figure how to set it to my liking.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 7th June 2023 at 23:18.
tanmay1904 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Interior Space & Comfort (rear):

Ingress and egress is a bit of challenge because of the low slung nature of the car. However, the rear seats are VERY comfortable. The rear seat is electrically reclinable to the extent of 8 degrees which is not much but makes slightly noticeable difference. However I like to think that the this seat recline function is more to do with bringing the rear backrest forward. I think Toyota could have given this feature a miss and no one would have missed it. The under thigh support is slightly lacking and is noticeable to tall passengers but does not however, make the rear seat uncomfortable by any means though. The legroom is good and I think it is a few cms less than the Superb but at the same time I like to to think that the Camry has a bit more width, which however, is not enough given that the middle passenger will be uncomfortable and will also be bothered due to the rear transmission tunnel.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-rear-armrest.jpeg
The rear armrest to recline the rear seats, control the radio, operate the rear sunshade and to change the temperature of the rear AC.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-rear-seat.jpeg
The very comfortable rear seat

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-rear-vents.jpeg
Rear AC vents come with the black veneered surround. However the vents themselves feel cheap and brittle.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.47.jpeg
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.50.03.jpeg
The car comes with sunshades for the rear passengers. The ones on the rear side are manually operated while the rear windscreen one is electrically operated through a button in the rear middle armrest as well as through a menu though the MID. Unlike the previous gen Camry, there is no dedicated physical button for the driver to operate them from the front which means the driver has to take his/ her eyes off the road to operate the rear sunshade. Also, once you engage reverse, the sunshade automatically folds down and automatically rises after the reverse gear has been disengaged for a certain period of time.
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.46-1.jpeg
The MID menu to lower/raise the rear sunshade. Also seen are the settings for parking sensors, the Heads up display, vehicle and MID settings.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 7th June 2023 at 23:01.
tanmay1904 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:09   #7
BHPian

Engine performance & drivability:
The Camry is powered by a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated inline 4 cylinder engine running on a very efficient Atkinson cycle. The engine produces 178 PS power @ 5700 rpm and 221 NM torque @ 3600 rpm to 5200 rpm.
The engine is combined with an electric motor making 120 PS power and 202 NM torque. Combined, the hybrid system produces 218 PS power while the combined torque is unspecified.

If the hybrid battery has juice left, the car will start in EV mode. Simply slot the gear lever into D mode, release the brake and the car will start creeping forward. The engine switches on only when the hybrid battery falls to 2 bars or the person behind the wheel is driving with a heavy foot. When the car is started, and later when the engine switches on, the car does give a very mild jerk which makes everyone aware that the engine has come to life. On the move though, the transition between EV and engine is observable to the driver, not so much to the passengers in the car.

This engine is mated to CVT gearbox codenamed P710. It is an okay transmission and feels very lethargic in Eco mode and less lethargic in normal mode. This gearbox, is very smooth, given that there are no jerks due to the fact that there are no actual shifts taking place. The transmission can also be controlled via the paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. The car offers 6 virtual gears and to engage them, slot the gear lever in to 'S' mode. In this mode, the manual mode will start in S4 or S5 depending on the speed of the car. Also, the user manual mentions that to temporarily use the paddle shifters when the transmission is in 'D' mode, pull the "-" shifter and you can get engine braking. I have never used this feature to be honest.

The Camry come with 3 driving modes:

Eco: In this mode, the car tries to remain in EV mode as much as possible and the car's focus is on maximizing the fuel efficiency. In this mode, Auto Glide Control is active which loosely means coasting. In this mode, the Chauffeur's have seen average mileage in excess of 18kmpl in the city. The steering is also super light. This is the mode which I use predominantly for the city.

Normal: The throttle becomes slightly more responsive and the steering weighs up a bit more. This is the mode which our chauffeurs prefer for the city.

Sport: Now this is my favorite mode. In this, the steering become substantially heavy and the throttle responses become very sharp. The power even though delivered in a linear manner, makes the car fun to drive, at least for me. But beware, if you are used to driving a turbocharged vehicle, the Camry will bore you though. Under hard acceleration though, the CVT rubberband effect is noticeable and although well controlled, plays spoilsport in the overall fun to drive factor. The car can mask silly speeds easily. As mentioned in the official review, NEVER use this mode in the city as the power delivery is very spikey and the driver will have difficulty in controlling the car. In this mode, the chauffeurs see 19 kmpl on the highway and when driven by me, ~17 kmpl

Personally, I would have wished that Toyota would have equipped the car with an "individual" mode too. I would have preferred to have set the steering in sport, while the throttle to be in normal mode. This is because when travelling with the family on highways, it gets really difficult to stay within the speed limit in sport mode even with the speed alerts.

Overall NVH levels:

The engine, under hard acceleration, lets out a very subdued sporty roar. It is only when you roll the windows down you realize that the engine is actually a coarse sounding unit. This shows how good the sound deadening in the car is. At the same time, the car makes quite a bit of road noise and I think the primary source of this is the tire choice.

Ride and Handling:

This is a huge upgrade when compared to the Altis. The car is very stable on highways, when driven in a straight line and I think the contributing factor to this is the heaviness of the car. At the same time, when driven on twisty roads, the car does roll around a bit.

The car rides on 18 inch rims. As mentioned before, I feel it is an overkill and it shows, especially on large or sharp bumps. Apart from this, the ride quality is compliant.

Steering:

It is just about ok. I would give it a 6.5/10. It is not the most well feeling unit and feels disconnected most of the time. In eco mode, as mentioned it is very light and in sport, is heavy. The turning radius of the car is mentioned as 5.8 meter and can be a problem in tight lanes.

Ground clearance:
Rated at 160mm. Which is low for Indian driving conditions. But what surprised me is that the car has never scraped, even on the very same roads where the Altis would scrape. Also, the part of the underbody where the hybrid Battery is situated doesn't have any kind of protection, which worries me. Also, while the brochure states otherwise, I like to think that the Superb has the higher ground clearance.

Warranty, after-sales service

In total, Toyota offers 3 Year/ 1,00,000 kms standard warranty along with 8 year/ 1,60,000 km warranty on the hybrid battery. The warranty is extendable up to 5years . Personally, I feel that the overall extended warranty should be greater, considering Skoda now offers warranty up to a car's 8th year. Also, I have my doubts on the longevity of the hybrid battery. There are quite a bit of battery failures in the previous gen Camry reported on Team Bhp in the past. I have quoted some posts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Unfortunately my August 2015 Camry hybrid battery failed last month at 1,02,000kms and I got it replaced recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Yuvarajsinh Puvar for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 7th June 2023 at 23:04.
tanmay1904 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 21:01   #8
BHPian

Any other Points:
1. The Camry comes with a choice of boring colors with the exception being Burning Black. Also, the Phantom Brown color on the Pre-facelift was replaced with the Metal Stream Metallic color in 2022.

2. Powerful headlamps! The Camry can easily light up the road afar. But I will reserve my opinion about them until I get to test them in the rain.

3. The car is nearly 4.9 meter long!! To put that into context, the Camry is roughly 10cms LONGER than the Fortuner itself. Don't even think about taking the car to Laxmi road or any of the Peth areas in Pune. Also, I just cannot parallelly park the car at all. It is that long a car!!

4. Despite the fact that the Camry is supposed to be a low profile car, it grabs eyeballs many a time, much to the chagrin of my parents. My Father has resorted to bringing the company's 2018 Baleno diesel every Saturday evening, so that if we have to use a car on Sunday, we don't need to take the Camry.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.48.jpeg
Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.47-1.jpeg
5. Despite the price, the car does not have switchable ambient lighting

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-small-things-1.jpeg
6. When the Front seat is pushed all the way to the front, the cables for the seat can be seen to the rear passenger.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-small-things-2.jpeg
7. The switch to adjust the steering is a straight lift from the previous gen Camry.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-front-seatbuckle.jpeg
8. The gap between the B pillar and the front seats is too less. I particularly fumble when trying to put on the seatbelt as the buckle gets stuck between the seat and the pillar.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-irvm.jpeg
9. Generic IRVM. IIRC, an identical unit was there on our ex-Altis

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-dummy-switches.jpeg
10. Seen here are the boot release button, fuel cap release button and the button to turn the traction control off. The dummy switches housed the dynamic headlamp feature as well as the ADAS systems on the international Camry.

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230329-10.58.31-2.jpeg
11. Poor rearview camera resolution! That too on on car costing more than 55 lakh on road. Atleast the car is equipped with dynamic guidelines.

12. The Camry has a moderate amount of catalogue of accessories to choose from. We were given around Rs. 30,000 worth of free accessories, of which we chose:

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20230527-20.32.42.jpeg
Sunvisors for the windows

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-welcome-lights.jpeg
A set of welcome lights for the front door, floor mats and a rubber mat for the boot.

13. The ventilated seats feature for the front seats is a boon in the summer. However, as mentioned before in the official review, the fan speed is slightly loud when on full speed.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 8th June 2023 at 00:02.
tanmay1904 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 05:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 07:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Feels good to know that I'm not the only one drooling at the Camry on road. It's a looker and is hardly inconspicuous by any means. The only saving grace is that people don't expect it to be a pricy as it really is and thus gives such owners the chance to stay 'under radar' or the like.

Great review I must say! Hope you keep it really long!
Turbohead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 11:37   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional review, Tanmay! Thanks so much for sharing . Our Official Reviews give readers all one needs to know about the car, from the macro level. After all, we just get 5 - 10 hours of driving time at the media events. But it is the ownership reviews (like this one) that complete the Team-BHP experience for enthusiasts & potential car owners alike. Nothing like living with the car, then writing about it on Team-BHP.

I love this generation of the Camry. As I've said many times before, the Camry is now a Lexus with a "T" badge (it was the other way around with the last-gen Camry & Lexus ES). This is a proper luxury car that beats almost all of the <80-lakh rupee Germans in comfort. The Hybrid makes turbo-diesels irrelevant, especially with all the BS6 complexities & 10-year diesel bans (it's surely going to come to other major cities soon). You also have reliability & top-level service quality that Audi, BMW & Mercedes owners can only dream about.

When my younger brother was shopping for a 30 - 40 lakh car, we strongly considered the Camry. Main reason for dropping it in favour of the Superb was the massive price difference (10-lakhs after Skoda's discounts), and my brother enjoyed driving the Superb 2.0 TSI more.

If your Corolla's odometer is anything to go by, your running is very high. Just as well as Camrys are known to be durable + reliable even at the 300,000 km mark abroad. Wishing you lots of joy and many fun road-trips with your luxo-barge.

Your review is going to our "hot threads" tomorrow .

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2023 at 11:40.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase! The review is very insightful! Camry is a nice purchase in the D segment that will keep the owner happy for at least 2 lakh kms while also being economical, While Skoda Superb is as good if not a better drive and cheaper at the same time, the long term reliability with DSG and poor after sales history are good enough factors to consider the Camry, Infact I like the design better than the superb too! I hope Toyota continues to offer the Camry in India for years to come and not withdraw it for the lack of volumes, we have lost too many nice cars in the past 5 years for this reason.
abaliga is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 13:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Our 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid | Ownership Review-screenshot_20230608130145_chrome.jpg
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Exceptional review, Tanmay! Thanks so much for sharing ....

Your review is going to our "hot threads" tomorrow .
Thanks a lot GTO. This compliment coming from you means a lot to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
Congratulations on the purchase! The review is very insightful! Camry is a nice purchase in the D segment that will keep the owner happy for at least 2 lakh kms while also being economical, While Skoda Superb is as good if not a better drive and cheaper at the same time, the long term reliability with DSG and poor after sales history are good enough factors to consider the Camry.
Thanks a lot sir. I loved the Superb. Heck if I was the one buying a car, I would have picked the Superb or even the Octavia eyes closed. But the fact was that the car was being bought for my father and he hates unnecessary expenditure like maintenance, even more so if it has to be done on the company's account, so that sealed the deal in favour of the Camry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .
It is a great honor for me sir for as a 13 year old who literally got addicted to Team-Bhp's reviews and then as a 23 year old semi-grown up man seeing his very own review published here. Thank you
tanmay1904 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:35   #15

Wow Tanmay1904, we have a very similar automotive history! We also replaced our 2012 Altis Diesel (~1.5 lac kms) with the 2019 Camry Hybrid.

We've only been able to run ~30k kms so far (due to the covid years) but it has been an absolute delight to own so far! I am the least fuel-efficient driver I know and I still get 14kmpl overall - while it can easily be driven at 18kmpl+ by more pedal-friendly drivers. So you are likely in for another great Toyota experience!

I resonate with a lot of the points raised in your review. I do think the new model is better looking (the 2019 version has a weird front grill) but my main gripe is that the 2019 version DOES NOT HAVE CAR CONNECTIVITY. I still use google maps on my phone in a 40+ lac car! A panaromic sunroof would be cool to have (just for the added light) but it would also make cabin cooling less effective so overall I am neutral on that miss. Atleast in this weather I keep the sunroof shades on throughout.

BTW - the Altis is still with us & going strong as a secondary car. I had asked the forum earlier this year for opinions on a worthy successor to it (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...lla-altis.html (30-lakh budget | What to replace my reliable workhorse Corolla Altis with?)) - got some good inputs, but haven't really gotten to it yet. What are your plans with the Altis?

Wishing you lots of happy kms with the new beast!
adnankw is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks