Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:50   #1

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km

I recently purchased Mercedes GLC 300 2023 in September. Pictures attached. I wanted to share over 50 images, but I think 30 is the limit. I will try to upload remaining pics in the next post.

Drove it from Mumbai to Bengaluru and then in and around Karnataka over the weekends. Here are my Initial impressions of the same.

I will write in a non-technical language so that it's easier to Understand.

Also, this is not a technical review nor a complete review.

It's just what I have experienced as of now.

I've attached a lot of Pictures.

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181611.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181617.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190132.jpg

Background

Before buying the GLC 300, I went and saw all of its competitors (Audi Q5, BMW X3, Lexus, Range Rover Evoque).

My requirement was a SUV that was Super Comfortable to drive and that would keep my Family safe in case we were in a life-threatening accident.

After taking test drive of all its competitors, I decided to buy GLC 300. I won't go into which is better and why as quite frankly, this is a never-ending argument.

Some prefer BMW, whereas some will prefer Audi, Range Rover or Lexus. All are fantastic cars.

I am not here to write GLC is the best. It's the Best for our needs and this is what matters to me.

I was very clear from the start that If I am paying 85 L - 90 L while buying a Car, I do not want to buy a Facelift model nor did I want to spend this much on Cars that have not even seen a Generational change.

This helped me eliminate the competition easily as some of the cars in the same segment haven't been updated in a while whereas some had come out with mere facelift versions. For instance, BMW X3 at the time of booking, did not have the new Display nor did it have the newer Tech in recent BMW cars. Even X1 gets the new curved display and so does the recently launched X5. I guess the updated X3 is coming out next year and till then, BMW is looking to offload existing inventory.

I wanted the latest generation model with the latest tech in the market.

External Pictures

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_1809242.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_180936.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_180947.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_1809583.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190250.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190352.jpg

Drive Quality

Drive quality is superb. If there is one word I have to associate with this car, it would be 'Smooth'. Noise insulation is fantastic. You barely get to hear anything from the outside. Quite frankly, even higher variants of its competition do not offer this degree of noise insulation.

Suspension is on the stiffer side and Dynamic suspension would have helped. But nevertheless, comfort while driving long distance is amazing. Even after a 14–15-hour drive, I was as fresh as a daisy. Barely felt anything. In my understanding, stiff suspension contains body roll very well and you barely feel any, even on long drives. Sound from the suspension is minimal and overall, you barely hear anything.

I've driven the car both in the night and during the day. I felt in control at all the times. Attention assist helps a lot during night drive and the gentle nudges you get while departing a lane keeps you alert all the time.

Minor road bumps, speed breakers are barely felt inside the cabin. However, any big pothole you encounter is certainly felt in the cabin. If you speed over it, certainly it does not feel good. Overall, a perfect balance between Comfort and Good performance.

I was disappointed with the head lights though. These are still very good and are adaptive in nature. But for this price, I felt the throw and coverage of the lights could have been better.

Drive Modes

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190158.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190205.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190210.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190222.jpg

Stability & Grip

This is no BMW' Ish to drive around yet. This is also no AUDI when you cut through Corners at high speeds. But while driving through corners, high-speed maneuvers, the grip is fantastic, and Mercedes is slowly catching up with BMW & Audi in terms of Ride quality. The confidence you get while driving this is just something else. I have driven one of its competitors at similar terrain and speed and I could easily tell the difference. In one word, the Car seems very well 'Planted' and has its 'Feet' on the ground at all times. AWD really helps in achieving this.

I need to test the same on wet roads. As and when I drive the car through such conditions, I will update about it.

I don't know if upgrading to 20' Wheels would enhance the Drive quality. Will have to research about this. Any suggestions, please feel free to write.

Seat Comfort

I had read & seen many reviews where there were complaints about absence of Seat massage and Ventilated seats. All points are well taken. But, while doing long distance, I felt heat massage was more useful for me. It just gives another level of comfort while driving. Relaxes your muscles and helps with any stiffness you have.

I'd recommend first opting for Seat Kinetics (kind of a message but in a very subtle way) and then opting for Heating. This is the ideal combination and will make you comfortable.

Overall, Seats are really good. Under thigh support and multiple adjustments for the seat can be done. You can also let the system decide the seat and steering setting based on your height. This is adjusted automatically. Once this is done by the system, you can then make finer adjustments to make yourself more comfortable.

But at this price point, I don't think it'd be too difficult to add Ventilated cooled seats. This is a miss in my view.

Seats & Functions

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181206.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181211.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181247.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181252.jpg

Overtaking, Cruise Control, Braking

Adaptive control should have been there.

Apart from this, I have no complaints. You need to drive this Car in the Sports mode as this is where acceleration and the true capacity of this car is realized. Braking is really good. Couple of times I had to slow down immediately as some animals were crossing the highway and the car was highly responsive. Never for a second did I feel that I was losing control of the car.

I am a safe driver and I never over speed. But there were couple of instances where some highway jerks were again and again trying to taunt us while driving. I don't know why, but somehow, they were trying to make a point about their own SUV's. They were teasing my dog as well who was seated in the rear seat, and this was not acceptable for us. Young kids probably heading to Goa with their partners. Couple of them even brake checked me, and this was beyond irritating and was about safety of my family.

On the next toll, this is when I shifted the car to 'S' mode and gave my inner self a 'nudge'. Car quickly went from 0 - 100; stability at highway speeds was amazing.

It's good to have that extra bit of Power at times. GLC produces 250-260 HP, 400 nm torque and the mild hybrid adds another 23 HP and additional 200 nm torque. In Speed mode, once you push the peddle, this is when you see the Car in action.

In the City, I drive the car in Customized mode (Steering - Sports, Drive Mode - Comfort, ESP - Comfort) whereas in the Highways, I prefer the Sports mode. Overall, Comfort mode is ideal for all conditions.

I haven't used the Offroad mode, nor have I taken the vehicle for off-roading. Hence will comment on this in my later posts.

But I do feel that Adaptive cruise at this price point should have been there. This is a miss.

Steering Display Modes

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181038.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181049.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181104.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181115.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181126.jpg

Mileage

I have the petrol version. For the time being, in the city I get average of 9-10 kmpl whereas on the highway, I get average of 12-14 kmpl. This is pretty good as it is right near the claimed average for this vehicle. Diesel average is much better from what I am heard. I guess the mild hybrid unit helps little in increasing the efficiency.

If you drive the mode in Eco mode, then mileage does improve by 10-15%. However, in the Sports mode, expect 6 kmpl in City and 9 kmpl on highways. Again, Comfort mode hits the sweet spot in terms of Power and Mileage.

Petrol Engine is peppier than the Diesel. Its more responsive in the short term and acceleration is way better as well. If mileage is an issue, then one should opt for the diesel variant.

Gear Shifts

In the Eco mode, naturally you have some lag. Gear shifts are lazy. In Comfort mode and Sports mode, everything is seamless. Gear shifts are quick, and you can feel the revs on the engine.

This comes with a 9G tronic Automatic transmission system. But you feel the effectiveness of this system only in the Comfort & Sports mode.

I always prefer the Comfort mode. Smooth, Comfortable & Dependable.

Interior & Safety

Interior and Safety in my view is the best in class. Infact it was the Safety features that tipped my decision to go with this car. I don't think majority of reviews have done justice to safety features this car offers. And hopefully, I'd never have to experience any of the features while driving the car.

Mercedes has a built in pre-safe features which quite frankly is nothing short of amazing.

Steering & Speaker System

In recent years, I do think Mercedes is doing a fantastic job with their Steering wheel. On lower speed, Steering is so smooth and light and at higher speeds, it's the right amount of heaviness that gives you a feeling of being in control all the time. Steering response is amazing and it's what I preferred when I took the test drive of vehicles in this range.

The touch based steering mount controls take a little time to get used to. My only complaint is that with touch-based controls, it's almost impossible to set the Music at the right level. It's always either too loud or too subtle.

Speaker system within itself is fantastic. One of the best in its class. But why does Volume setting have to be so hard. I always have to use the 'Hey Mercedes' feature to set the right volume. This is annoying to say the least.

Speaker system is highly customizable. Sound quality is amazing though.

Air Conditioner, Purifier, Instrument Cluster & Display

Central instrument cluster takes about 20-30 minutes to get used to. It's better to get accustomed before you start driving the car. Central system is amazing. It's easy to use once you get used to it. As such, everything can be controlled through left side controls of the steering wheel.

The instrument cluster behind the steering wheel offers many views. My favorite mode is to have the Classic display behind the wheels. Else you can have the navigation system behind the steering display.

On board navigation, 3D maps are really good. And are quite accurate as well. But make sure you cross check through Google maps. Especially in remote locations in case you go on offroad routes.

Dual Zone AC is also helpful and comes with a built in Air purifier. I personally felt that AC needs to be at 22 initially to provide cooling effect. At 24, it's a bit insufficient. In my other cars, 24 was more than enough. Will update about this again.

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181437.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181442.jpg

Active Braking, Lane departure Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Parking Assist

Lane Assist - Overall a good system and quite accurate in terms of putting you back in the lane. Has 3 modes and is helpful especially during long drives (early hours before sunrise). Car gives you a Steering wheel vibration once you begin departing the lane without giving the indicator. If you don't coarse correct, Car then nudges the vehicle back in the lane.

Active Brake Assist - Works very well. Though in city, sometimes you will see the Car overreacting to traffic in front. It's better to turn this off as this can cause rear end collision if the Car were to stop immediately. Car gives you an audio warning before the brakes come on and you have couple of seconds to act on your own. But it's better to keep this off.

Blind Spot Assist - This is super helpful. Especially on our road where anyone can pop up from anywhere. You do get the warning on side mirror and of course an audio warning as well if you look to change lanes / or give indicator for the same.

Parking Assist - Very helpful especially for those who aren't confident of their parking skills. Have used this feature is some tight spots and this is where Car has refused to identify any parking spot. When the car finds a suitable spot (based on safe distance), it alerts you about the same and then it's a smooth auto park feature from thereon. You can control the speed through brakes. Steering control and self-park by the car are too good.

360 Degree Cameras - Won't write much on this. This is standard across many cars these days. Good part here is that you can Geo tag locations where you want cameras to come on automatically and this is very helpful. Offroad transparent bonnet feature also looks helpful. Though, I haven't tried this one in particular.

One feature I really liked were auto adjustment of OVRM's as you put the Car in reverse gear and in drive gear. Vehicle adjusts these based on your seat height setting it seems. It somehow creates the perfect angle with OVRM so that visibility is optimum.

At this price point, I would have wanted Cameras to be active on demand at any Speed. Currently, Cams get active below 20 kmph and Transparent bonnet below 10 kmph. This is a miss in my view.

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181354.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181401.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181406.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181412.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231019_181416.jpg

Experience Has Been Good

My friend told me whether Cars (Merc and Others in this segment) are value for money or not. He has a 45 - 50 Lakh SUV, and he told me he got better value for money than me. Has little bit more features also. But, in my view, you need to drive a Merc, BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Lexus in similar segment to know why you pay more for these cars.

I drove his awesome car (European made) as well and I instantly knew I had made a good choice. His car was also very good, and I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. I did not correct my friend though. Afterall, everyone's car is special for them and this much respect we should have towards others.

Also, on a lighter note, who would want to acknowledge they overpaid for a car (ha-ha)

Power, Stability, Handling is at a different level altogether. Despite suspension being on the stiffer side (and no Dynamic suspension), you barely get to feel anything. Noise insulation is amazing and ride comfort is just about perfect for my liking. Again, this is my view, and I don't want to dismiss anyone's opinion on this.

Certainly, there could be many areas where this Car could have been even better. But then, you don't get everything in a Car and there are some calculated compromises that every car owner has to make.

My aim was to buy a Car that was Stable, that would keep my Family safe and that would be really Comfortable to drive. Every month I do long distance (1000 km plus) drives, and this is just the car I wanted. I am still testing out the car and would be writing about this as and when I take several driving trips in it. These are my initial impressions and just felt like sharing these.

My own opinion is that this Generation of GLC will again come out as the Market leader in this segment. Its Bigger, Bolder and Certainly more Beautiful.

Above all, if you have a big dog as well, your kiddo is going to be super comfortable in this. Mine slept like a baby and enjoyed the view.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km-20231020_190324.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2023 at 08:56. Reason: Rule #11, thanks
Tigs is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2023 Mercedes GLC 300 | Ownership Review of 2500 km

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Will be going to our homepage tomorrow .

I love what Mercedes has done with the new GLC. I found the last-gen car to be very vanilla & boring; both, in terms of looks and the driving experience. But this 2023 model is a giant step forward. It has more character and is nicer to drive.

Congrats on the car. Great to see you driving it on highways, that's what these German machines are built for. Happy Road-Tripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
I wanted to share over 50 images, but I think 30 is the limit. I will try to upload remaining pics in the next post.
You may please add new posts on your thread with additional pictures.

Quote:
I am not here to write GLC is the best. It's the Best for our needs and this is what matters to me.
Very, very well said.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 23:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
I recently purchased Mercedes GLC 300 2023 in September. Pictures attached. I wanted to share over 50 images, but I think 30 is the limit. I will try to upload remaining pics in the next post.
Dear Tigs,
First of all hearty congratulations for your new steed. Very happy on reading your experiences. Simple and plain language detailing your experiences. That's really good. Keep sharing your views and keep building the details in your thread. It might be a stepping stone for someone who might be interested to know about the GLC 300. As someone who is going 1000 kms trip every month, your travel experiences should be very useful guide. My request for you would be to write about your travel along with the use case experiences with Merc GLC 300. That way your ownership thread will be a very valuable one.

Felt bad to hear your road rage incident. Only request is don't fall for this irrational idiots on wheels who would be waiting for good driver's to get unsettled and then drag them to Road rage. Ignore them, they will learn their lessons in due course.

Warm Regards,
Sathiya Narayanan. S

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2023 at 10:21. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks for the support & understanding
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 08:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great review, thanks for sharing!

Will be going to our homepage tomorrow .

I love what Mercedes has done with the new GLC. I found the last-gen car to be very vanilla & boring; both, in terms of looks and the driving experience. But this 2023 model is a giant step forward. It has more character and is nicer to drive.

Congrats on the car. Great to see you driving it on highways, that's what these German machines are built for. Happy Road-Tripping.

You may please add new posts on your thread with additional pictures.

Very, very well said.
Thank you so much. I will be posting more Pics of my Trips.

Current gen is peppier. But one would have to get a Petrol for this.

I would update more about drivability in months to come. As of now, its Super smooth.

Let my honeymoon period get over with it. I will nit-pick a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
Dear Tigs,
First of all hearty congratulations for your new steed. Very happy on reading your experiences. Simple and plain language detailing your experiences. That's really good. Keep sharing your views and keep building the details in your thread. It might be a stepping stone for someone who might be interested to know about the GLC 300. As someone who is going 1000 kms trip every month, your travel experiences should be very useful guide. My request for you would be to write about your travel along with the use case experiences with Merc GLC 300. That way your ownership thread will be a very valuable one.

Felt bad to hear your road rage incident. Only request is don't fall for this irrational idiots on wheels who would be waiting for good driver's to get unsettled and then drag them to Road rage. Ignore them, they will learn their lessons in due course.

Warm Regards,
Sathiya Narayanan. S
I completely agree with what you have written.

Our Dog kiddo is our life. When people bother him, I just want to take him away from that situation.

He's a Working line German Shepherd and fully capable of taking care of himself. But in a car, I just dont like someone bothering him. But I get your point and appreciate it.

I will write more about the trips. Taking one back to Maharashtra this week.
Tigs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 10:22   #5
BHPian

Awesome awesome! I guess we all are thankful that there is no GLC 200 anymore. GLC 300 with mild hybrid makes perfect sense and has torque very comparable to the diesel model with far more power and no AdBlue nonsense if one can live with the slightly worse fuel economy which isn't much of bother in this segment anyway. Enjoy your car!!!
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 14:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I am a safe driver and I never over speed. But there were couple of instances where some highway jerks were again and again trying to taunt us while driving. I don't know why, but somehow, they were trying to make a point about their own SUV's. They were teasing my dog as well who was seated in the rear seat, and this was not acceptable for us. Young kids probably heading to Goa with their partners. Couple of them even brake checked me, and this was beyond irritating and was about safety of my family.
Congrats on the car, but there are other ways to get beyond this - being a speed junkie is not the solution. Better to stop and take a nature break for 10 minutes if you feel people are bothering you on the road.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th October 2023 at 20:35.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 15:00   #7
BHPian

Bro Tigs,

Congrats on the new ride. Happy for you.

Usually, I don’t comment. But we have all met idiots on the road and I have at times reacted like you did.

The idiots may yet live and instead we may get hurt or our loved ones may be injured. Worse, we may hurt other innocent people on the road and you will have to live the rest of your life regretting it.

Enjoy your new ride!

Best regards,
Hondaford
hondaford is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 17:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Congrats on the car, but there are other ways to get beyond this - being a speed junkie is not the solution. Better to stop and take a nature break for 10 minutes if you feel people are bothering you on the road.
Thanks for your concern Avdhesh. Stopped at a food court. They stopped as well. They were just not letting it go. As I said, I am a safe driver. But when you get brake checked at 100 kmph (Twice), you have to do what is required at that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaford View Post
Bro Tigs,

Congrats on the new ride. Happy for you.

Usually, I don’t comment. But we have all met idiots on the road and I have at times reacted like you did.

The idiots may yet live and instead we may get hurt or our loved ones may be injured. Worse, we may hurt other innocent people on the road and you will have to live the rest of your life regretting it.

Enjoy your new ride!

Best regards,
Hondaford
Thanks for your concern Hondaford. Wouldn't have over sped had I seen a soul in my vicinity.

Also, just to put things in context, I was brake checked twice at 100 kmph.

Didn't mention all this as this is about review of the car.

Either it was putting in some distance between them and me or getting down from the car and teaching those kids some manners the old-fashioned way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Awesome awesome! I guess we all are thankful that there is no GLC 200 anymore. GLC 300 with mild hybrid makes perfect sense and has torque very comparable to the diesel model with far more power and no AdBlue nonsense if one can live with the slightly worse fuel economy which isn't much of bother in this segment anyway. Enjoy your car!!!
Thank you so much.

As of now, perfect blend of Power and Comfort.

Still early days. Will drive it a lot in the next few months. Will share more observations.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th October 2023 at 20:36. Reason: back to back posts merged
Tigs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 18:08   #9
BHPian

Hi Tigs,
Congratulations and thank you for this detailed review, this is really helpful (I am actively considering booking a GLC 300 petrol).
I had a brief drive a month back and looking forward to doing a proper test drive.
  • Have you purchased any additional accessories like a dashcam from Mercedes Benz?
  • What about Insurance and any extended warranty or maintenance package purchased through the dealer? please share details if possible.
  • How is the low-speed ride over broken roads in cities? (I currently own a Ford Endeavor, it has superb low-speed ride quality over broken roads, and I hope to have similar ride quality for the new wheels).
  • Is any PPF coating done? I would likely book a nautic blue color which may require PPF coating is the advise by the dealer.
  • Was there any discussion with the dealer about E20 fuel support, GLC supports only E5 & E10; any concerns on this front?
  • I am looking at purchasing a MY 2024 model, the dealer has asked me to book now to make sure delivery is in Jan or Feb. Anyone have any suggestions or guidance on this front? (should I wait for Jan to book or is it okay to book early and the dealer will make sure delivery would be a MY 2024 model?).
  • Any idea about ground clearance, some forums suggest it is 170mm and others say it is 201mm considering offroad engineering package support.
  • agree with active safety features, that is one of my main considerations for my next car.
  • From the active driver assist system, I think only adaptive cruise control is missing (would have been nice to have that).

Many thanks for considering my request.
SN
sknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:29   #10
BHPian

Congrats Tigs. Nice choice and colour. The new GLC 300 and 220d has upped the quotient in this segment. The previous gen version was too bland and boring. They have done a good job with this new version. BMW have to come up with a solid upgrade with the next X3 to match this. Lovely pics and write up. Enjoy the new ride.
XDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 20:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hi Tigs,
Congratulations and thank you for this detailed review, this is really helpful (I am actively considering booking a GLC 300 petrol).
I had a brief drive a month back and looking forward to doing a proper test drive.
Thanks SN. Have answered your queries.

1. Have you purchased any additional accessories like a dashcam from Mercedes Benz?

I had enquired about this. Showroom told me due to Import duties, latest Dashcam is not being brought in. Quite frankly, other dashcam's cannot be installed that easily. Wire concealment is not a problem. But you'd need to power that using the fuse box that exists below the storage unit (co driver side)

There's a workaround though. You can use the built-in camera to record in loop. But for this, you need the dashcam app which is currently available only in U.K. and Australia. When I contacted Mercedes, they told me this will be coming to India as well. Date is not yet clear.

For Accessories, I went for Load Sill protector, Aerodynamic Roof Spoiler. Took the Mats as well.

2. What about Insurance and any extended warranty or maintenance package purchased through the dealer? please share details if possible.
I went in for the Star Protect Gold scheme. Also picked up Extended warranty for the vehicle. Given the cost, this is worth it. Maintenance package I have taken as well. I will upload the details for the same in a couple of days once I get back home.

3. Is any PPF coating done? I would likely book a nautic blue color which may require PPF coating is the advice by the dealer.

Yes, I did opt for PPF coating. Took quotations from outside as well. (3M, Garware, Some local one's). Dealer was associated with GSWF brand, and they did a fab job with it. Price difference was not much. 3m quoted 1.56 L, Garware, 1.38L, a local dealer quoted 1.4 L. I go everything done from the dealer with a 5-year warranty for 1.4 L. My experience with the dealership was amazing. Hence, I decided to stick with them for everything.

4. Was there any discussion with the dealer about E20 fuel support, GLC supports only E5 & E10; any concerns on this front?

I came to know about this after reading Official Review of this car on the forum. I spoke to Mercedes about it. Rather my query was directed to their support team. Given the targets they have set for themselves in terms of emissions, I was puzzled as to why E20 was not supported. Didn't get any satisfactory reply from them.

My dealer told me to get higher octane fuel always (as such I have always opted for Shell V Power). But even he seemed a little clueless about it and didn't give satisfactory answer.

5. I am looking at purchasing a MY 2024 model, the dealer has asked me to book now to make sure delivery is in Jan or Feb. Anyone have any suggestions or guidance on this front? (should I wait for Jan to book or is it okay to book early and the dealer will make sure delivery would be a MY 2024 model?).

You need to clear this with your Dealer. Advance booking plus waiting period is close to 3-4 months. If you book today, you'd get the vehicle in Jan / Feb. But you need to put this in your Order booking form w.r.t the year of manufacture you expect. Mercedes support is amazing, and they take every query from prospective buyer as well as existing customer seriously. Before booking, talk to your dealer about this.

6. Any idea about ground clearance, some forums suggest it is 170mm and others say it is 201mm considering offroad engineering package support.

I will measure this for you. From one's you get in U.K and Australia, Indian version gets additional 20 mm clearance. By the look of it, its easily 190-195. But I will get this detail for you.

7. Agree with active safety features, that is one of my main considerations for my next car.
From the active driver assist system, I think only adaptive cruise control is missing (would have been nice to have that).

Yes, Safety features on paper look really good. Hopefully we'd never have to test it out in real world. Sensors are a bit more sensitive than usual. It keeps you safe and ensures you don't bump into anything. While you get spooked couple of times initially, but you get used to it very quickly.

Adaptive cruise is a clear miss. Can easily include this at this price point and I dont understand the rationale of leaving it out.

The only thing I can think of is that this will come in the AMG line of GLC or in GLC 43 / 63.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDriver View Post
Congrats Tigs. Nice choice and colour. The new GLC 300 and 220d has upped the quotient in this segment. The previous gen version was too bland and boring. They have done a good job with this new version. BMW have to come up with a solid upgrade with the next X3 to match this. Lovely pics and write up. Enjoy the new ride.
Thanks so much. Yes, It's going to be an amazing update from BMW. I think they are just offloading existing inventory. Their newer cars look fantastic.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th October 2023 at 20:32. Reason: Bold tags removed
Tigs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 20:43   #12

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience in such a great details. My experience with my new GLC-300 (bought in June this year) is similar (especially the ride and infotainment) but got soured due to multiple issues.

Within a week of purchase, it started showing engine warning light, then a warning that I cannot change the transmission position and finally a recall for engine software update. To top it all, recently it spent 3 weeks in the service centre owing to a faulty transmission valve body. It baffles me how a faulty part can make it's way to a production vehicle. Something is wrong in their process?

A check with my VIN in this website (https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls) reveals that there is an "Unrepaired Recalls" and the status is "Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available". Can you even sell such a vehicle?

Anyways, I have learnt my lesson with this so called dependable brand. In comparison, my Honda Civic was a bliss.
aeroabir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 21:14   #13

Hi Tigs,

Thanks for the update. I have booked mine and waiting for the car. I was a little confused between the petrol and the diesel as the diesel has slightly higher torque and at lower rpm but good to know that you are happy with the petrol . Also the test drive car showed an average or 6.5 kmpl and it worried me a little. Good to know it gives 9-10 kmpl which is fair.

As an accessory I really want to get the spoiler but there are no proper pictures anywhere. I saw you mentioned that you got the spoiler as well but I can't see it properly in your pictures . Can you please upload clearer pictures of the spoiler on the car of possible. I would really appreciate it . Thanks
SidAbz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 21:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidAbz View Post
Hi Tigs,

Can you please upload clearer pictures of the spoiler on the car of possible. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Thanks so much

Spoiler is yet to be installed. Has reached the dealership. Should be installed within a week. Will share the pics then.
Tigs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 10:55   #15
BHPian

Hi Tigs,
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, this is very helpful for me in my buying decision.
Please let me know your impressions about the ride quality over broken roads (not necessarily offroad).
Please do share the details of the extended warranty, maintenance package etc when you get a chance.
I have also reached out to the dealer for clarity on E20 fuel and dashcam.

thanks again.
SN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks