Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:08   #46
BHPian

Wow! a great thread on Indica. Very timely for me. My post could be slightly OT :P

Guys, after much thought I am about to buy a Xeta (GLG) shortly. I still keep getting occassional doubts about my decision. So, Xeta owners, please help me out.

- How prudent is my decision now that Tata seem to come out with a new design for Indicas (also with Fiat engines). What do you guys think? Will they be priced the same as the current ones or will they be priced at a premium? (Atleast the Petrol ones)

- I somehow felt that Xeta engine was bit noisy compared to other petrol engines of competition. Also, I noted sluggishness when driving in stop-and-go traffic. I plan to convert it into LPG. What would be impact of LPG kit on Xeta petrol engine? How would be the performance?

- I noted that there is a difference in tyre size offered for high-end model of Xeta (GLX) compared to others (GLG, GLS etc). Does it make sense to upgrade the tyre of GLG to that of GLX? Will performance / ride quality improve?

- What is the extent of "corporate discount" offered on Xetas / V2s, especially in BLR? Any idea? I don't qualify for this discount. But I still want to negotiate. Any negotiation tips will be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks all!
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:15   #47
BHPian

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg
ya indica is very comfortabe and big in space. also the sheet metal is very strong and can easily withstand impacts and keep the passengers safe, much more than other costlier cars do.
My understanding is that, in general, Tata cars have their sheet metal of thin gauge (that is probably one reason why they can sell it cheaper). One can see many TATA cars (especially Indica and Indigo) with uneven (kind of undulating) surfaces. Must be a result of using such thin sheets. Anybody here knows the gauge of metal sheets used in different cars? Probably, the manufacturers never publicize those numbers!
Old 23rd February 2008, 22:07   #48

I drove down my TURBO from chandigarh to Jhansi, approx 800 km. The drive on highway was great. There was a temptation to go 100+ but I managed at 70-90. Though while crossing Delhi, I was allways in a two minds to frequent in 2nd and 3rd gear in my DLG. This was my first proper experience with driving and i could get my TURBO to my place w/o any problem. After driving in a bad stretch there was a regular noise of co drivers seat. it was not rectified during my 1K servicing but when i tried to locate the cause it was the packing plastic of the seat. After removing the plastic the noise was gone. The only thing i now regret is seeing the DICOR engine the INDICA! I dont k now how much I lost( if any) on VFM
Old 24th February 2008, 10:47   #49
BHPian

I am driving a Indica DLG Turbo since April 2006, and have driven more than 72,000 km.

I travel extensively to Vapi/Surat/Goa/Bangalore and in and around Maharashtra in my car only.

I have touched 155kmph on pune - mumbai expressway strech once but find the car slightly vibrating. However till 140kmph there is no issue. Fan Belt noise is always an issue. I get an Mileage of around 15kmpl. My car is on 185/60 goodyear NCT5 tubless tyres & alloy wheels.

I have always got my car serviced @ 5000-7000km with oil changes.

As most of the time i am with maximum 2 other passengers i donot have any problem. But if I have to go with my family of 5 & luggage i have serious problems. As the luggage wont fit without a carrier.

The major change required in an Indica is its Headlight as the stock is very weak & dangerous for Night Driving. I am on Philips Rallye 100/90.
Old 24th February 2008, 11:43   #50
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarian View Post
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg
also the sheet metal is very strong and can easily withstand impacts and keep the passengers safe, much more than other costlier cars do.

My understanding is that, in general, Tata cars have their sheet metal of thin gauge (that is probably one reason why they can sell it cheaper).
these two statements are contradictory.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:12   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarian View Post
My understanding is that, in general, Tata cars have their sheet metal of thin gauge (that is probably one reason why they can sell it cheaper).
IMO, TATA cars use thicker sheet metal compared to Maruti & Hyundai small cars. Its quite evident if you apply some force on the metal body.

However, one must also remember that TATA may be sourcing them from their own companies, which could also play a part in reducing costs.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
How prudent is my decision now that Tata seem to come out with a new design for Indicas (also with Fiat engines).
This should take another year considering the launch of DiCoR model recently. Also this will not affect the resale value by much. This should not bother you unless you are planning to sell it in 3 years from now.

Quote:
What do you guys think? Will they be priced the same as the current ones or will they be priced at a premium? (Atleast the Petrol ones)
Petrol Indica range are already cheaper than its diesel counterparts and it will surely be increased but not by huge number. Also i heard that the V3 series would come with ABS and Airbags at some extra premium which i think would be worth.

Quote:
I somehow felt that Xeta engine was bit noisy compared to other petrol engines of competition.
Please test drive another Xeta at some other dealer because i have one which is not noisy and in fact i once thought the engine was switched off and re cranked it while it was running The engine is silky smooth and in line with new generation petrols. You might have probably TDed one which has taken lot of beating.

Quote:
Also, I noted sluggishness when driving in stop-and-go traffic. I plan to convert it into LPG. What would be impact of LPG kit on Xeta petrol engine? How would be the performance?
If you want to convert to LPG, go for GLX variant which comes with 1.4L and not GLG. When you were TDing were you on AC with blower in full speed ? If yes, this may affect you a bit. But my practice is to switch off AC when i am in 1st or 2nd gears as it wont put up the load much but sometimes i have used without switching off the AC and it did pretty well in B2B traffic. I was recommended against fitting LPG kit in Xeta. Also price of LPG is increasing and makes no sense to fit LPG in Xeta. If you travel a lot, then go for Indica Turbo or Indica DiCoR

Quote:
- I noted that there is a difference in tyre size offered for high-end model of Xeta (GLX) compared to others (GLG, GLS etc). Does it make sense to upgrade the tyre of GLG to that of GLX? Will performance / ride quality improve?
The tire size of GLS, GLG are for aimed at maximum FE and if you travel more at highway, the upsizing should be benificial as at speeds above 80, the breaking distance may decrease considerably with bigger tires. But i feel the tires for GLS and GLG are good for city conditions.

Quote:
- What is the extent of "corporate discount" offered on Xetas / V2s, especially in BLR? Any idea? I don't qualify for this discount. But I still want to negotiate. Any negotiation tips will be helpful and appreciated.
You would receive 10K as corp. discount on Xeta in Hyd. I am not sure of the same in BLR but i think it should be same there as well. You can refer someone who had earlier taken a car from that dealer if you know someone. If you are going through finance, you can negotiate on finance payout as well. Do your calculations on finance part and ask for EMI per lac.

Yes i agree Indica has very good highway manners. It handles very well. I felt braking distance a bit high when speeds at 90 Kmph+ Other than that part, its really a good VFM.
Old 24th February 2008, 15:40   #53
BHPian

Thank you TrueDreamer for your detailed answers. It was very helpful indeed.

May I ask you why did you chose 1.2 GLS? I see lot of BHPians advising on GLG? I also reckon the cost difference is not much between GLS and GLG (roughly about 30K in Banglaore). The FE figure you have put (15 Kmpl), is it of City or highway?

Can you clarify wheher the power steering on Xetas are Hydraulic or EPS?
Old 24th February 2008, 19:59   #54
BHPian

Had the opportunity to travel about 60 KMs to and 60 KMs from suburb. Its a relatively new car 11K KMs done. Space seemed decent, A/C average. Two interestingobservations

1. The engine was running hoarse in 3rd and 4th gear and not much torque felt up to speeds of 80 KMPH. However there was a good amount of torque feel and engine running better around 100 KMPH in top gear.

2. There was a bit of exertion on the back while going over uneven surfaces, may be I am spoilt by nice soft suspension of Petra.

I would think twice before venturing in to traveling long distances in Indica because of 2.
Old 24th February 2008, 20:24   #55
BHPian

Xeta Rocks on highway!

Quote:
May I ask you why did you chose 1.2 GLS? I see lot of BHPians advising on GLG? I also reckon the cost difference is not much between GLS and GLG (roughly about 30K in Banglaore). The FE figure you have put (15 Kmpl), is it of City or highway?

Can you clarify wheher the power steering on Xetas are Hydraulic or EPS?
I chose GLS variant as i felt GLG is just addition of some cosmetic stuff except for defogger and heater. Being in a place where i don't need to use both mostly and then i am not a big fan of PWs and Fog lamps and i can manage without them or get them fixed after market from a good installer without voiding warranty. Also when you calculate the price of additions in GLG, you will see you are paying a premium of ~10K for the additions. Hence i chose GLS as i felt its worth spending the amount on ICE of my choice. Also recently krishnavamsi42 had taken GLS here. The FE figure is the highest i received on Highway with 100% AC

In City with AC 50% - ~11.75 Kmpl
In City without AC - ~12.75 Kmpl

In Highway with AC 100% - ~15 Kmpl
I am expecting this to be around ~16.5 Kmpl on highway without AC

Xeta comes with Hydraulic Power Steering (HPS) and is very useful in city.
Old 8th May 2009, 13:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the palio 1.2, if you read my post, has a less peppy engine, but still very good for the highways, because of the virtues it shares with the 1.6- ie great build, good sheet metal, strong chassis,good handling and the ability to suck up the potholes with ease.
no denying that. agree completely. the palio IS one of the cars i genuinely like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
with regards to the engine of the 1.2- it behaves like any other petrol, it produces power at its peak. if in the right gear, the palio 1.2 will outrun an indica (also in its appropriate gear).
have to disagree with the above. seriously. i have both these cars in the family. both have been used for mumbai-delhi / mumbai baroda / mumbai-chandigarh / mumbai -goa runs. there is no way a palio 1.2 outruns an indica.

mind you, it borders on juvenile to do speed comparisons on a 1.2 petrol and a 1.4 diesel. but the time a 1.2 palio takes to gain momentum is painful. an indica is far more relaxed and is quicker reaching 100 or 120 cruising speeds. the extra 200 cc genuinely makes a difference. and mind you, for a 1.2 engine, the palio is not exactly a light car.

Last edited by hell_rider : 8th May 2009 at 14:01.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:35   #57
BHPian

I agree with the topic of this thread... Following is a blog write up of one our trips way back in 2006 in an Indica V2. Although it broke down but saved our lives and brought us back to Bangalore.

Chalte Chalte: A headless trip through the Ghats

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks