Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2008, 22:15   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post

I am pretty sure that i am getting a mileage hovering around 14-15 with a/c in moderate traffic conditions.
I dont think you'll get this much WITH AC. Without AC figures are very realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post

My only grouse is that First Gear is not getting engaged smoothly.But this is not always.
Yes, I believe this is because it is a cable mechanized gear system. The solution is, bring it to neutral, and engage first gear again.
Old 5th April 2008, 23:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikat View Post
Hi Chopra,

I did go through the features list. I am still wondering if Rs. 28K difference between Era and Magna is justified. I've booked Magna yesterday. But having after-thoughts now and wondering if Era will do.

By the way, there's now a corporate discount of Rs. 2000 on i10 effective 3rd April.
Hey Srikat,
Beleive me, you won't repent your decision of going for Magna instead of Era....here are my views.
1. 4 power windows are better than the front 2.
2. Rear Door Full Size Arm Rest will add to comfort of rear passwengers
3. Rear Wiper/Defogger will also be useful.
Old 5th April 2008, 23:56   #33
BHPian

chopra: What's the purpose of tachometer? I understand that it shows RPM, but how is that useful to me?
Old 6th April 2008, 09:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
chopra: What's the purpose of tachometer? I understand that it shows RPM, but how is that useful to me?
If you r a newbie, it will help u a lot that u don't rev up your engine a lot.
Good u pointed that out as that is what I am missing the most in my Era.
Old 6th April 2008, 11:23   #35
BANNED

Quote:
For a start, it tells you that the engine is on. Seriously, newbies on brand new cars can find it difficult to tell if the engine is running. Has happened to me.

Tells you when to change gears. You can, depending on your driving style, decide when to change gears going by the RPM meter. While going at high speeds, if you see that the RPM meter is falling, it is time to downshift.

You can start experimenting with pickup FE, etc. differences by shifting when the needle is a couple of mm before the green area, just at the beginning of the green area (of the meter), somewhere in middle, and at the extreme of the green band, etc.

For ordinary mortals like me, who do not have the rpm meter on their cars, we have to go by our ears and feel of the car.

But DO NOT take the engine RPM beyond the green band during the initial running in period.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 6th April 2008 at 11:26.
Old 6th April 2008, 11:42   #36
BHPian

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR: The vehicle in which am currently learning, a Santro has a red engine sign in the panel that indicates me that it is off.

Is the green band you refer to something like what's there in a Honda Activa where it reads "Economy". I always try to maintain the speed in that range for good FE.

Can't the speedometer alone help me in deciding when to change gears?
Old 6th April 2008, 20:00   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Is the green band you refer to something like what's there in a Honda Activa where it reads "Economy". I always try to maintain the speed in that range for good FE.

Can't the speedometer alone help me in deciding when to change gears?
You can go at 50KMPH on 5th and 3rd. The difference is that in the 3rd gear, the engine's speed is higher that it would be while cruising on 5th, leading to higher fuel consumption.

If you had an RPM meter, on the 3rd geat at 50 KMPH, the needle would be (for most cars) above the green band.

Most two wheeler speedos have a green band, yes, but that indicates only the economic speed on the TOP gear.

That said, IMHO, the RPM meter is useful for the absolute newbies and for those drivers who like to extract the last drop (whether it be in terms of FE or performance) from the vehicle.
Old 6th April 2008, 23:01   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the explanation. But due to a saving of Rs. 28,000 I am opting for Era over Magna.
Old 7th April 2008, 07:42   #39
BHPian

Congrats no the new car .The i10 has definetly raised the bar when it comes to interiors ,finish and comfort among small cars. Enjoy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks