Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:40   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And hence the Safari LX is gonna cost you 33K extra soon.

If I remember correctly, when the new 2.2 Safari was released, there was talk by the dealers that the prices were introductory. After that, I don't recall any price rise for the Safari.
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:44   #47
BHPian

Damn good looking vehicle and a damn cool website. The rear could have been a little muscular though.
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If I remember correctly, when the new 2.2 Safari was released, there was talk by the dealers that the prices were introductory. After that, I don't recall any price rise for the Safari.
The Safari 2.2 displayed at the Auto Expo looked quite different on the inside compared to the regular 2.2/3,0 and the tata officials did mention something vaguely about 'newer version' which will be released soon.

Perhaps it was meant to come with the Grande launch?
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

this Sumo is great. Looks spacious for this price and top end model costing at 7.57 Ex-showroom , seems TaTa has got a product on the dot . Congrats TATA..
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Safari 2.2 displayed at the Auto Expo looked quite different on the inside compared to the regular 2.2/3,0 and the tata officials did mention something vaguely about 'newer version' which will be released soon.

Perhaps it was meant to come with the Grande launch?
Now that would be a good thing. this will also give them a good reason for a price increase.
Old 23rd February 2008, 08:09   #51
BHPian

Here is a nice video of the TATA Sumo Grande on YouTube:

I know it has been posted elsewhere; but just for completion (so that members do not need to search elsewhere) - here is the official web site:

Home

The above site also has an e-brochure as an exe file (not in pdf format). Its an electronic copy of the same brochure available at TATA dealers. As of now this website (strangely) has no link from the tatamotors website.

I am not personally too concerned about taxi image etc as long as the vehicle is good. As a member pointed out - even Mercs are available as Taxis in India and abroad.

No doubt it is competition to the Safari, Tavera, Scorpio and even the Innova. I am one potential (pearl white) Safari EX buyer who was stopped in the tracks by the stunning looks and exqusite creature comforts (reclining 2nd row seats, rear AC vents, front facing 3rd row seats etc) of the Grande. To me the Safari misses out on reclining 2nd row and the front facing 3rd row seating comfort, the Tavera has an uninspiring (very poor acceleration), noisy drive, the Scorpio is too bouncy and the Innova has a (personally_ unacceptable look. If the reviews of the Grande are good and my test drive confirms it I will definitely plump for the Sumo Grande.
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:16   #52
BHPian

Did a quick mini test drive for about 1 km. The gears were very notchy. Infact, that's the only thing that's kinda putting me off. I had postponed my purchase of SX4 at 2007 year end / 2008 year beginning just 'cos I saw the Grande (via TBHP) and then the Youtube, then AutoExpo.

Will take a longer TD later and weigh my options. Currently, wait period in Chennai is anywhere between 4-6 weeks (supposedly). And even without the prices announced, booking is going on with a deposit of Rs.1.Lac !!
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:07   #53

Sumo Grande - Test Drive Bangalore

I had a chance to see Sumo Grande in Concorde showrooms in Bangalore. Only one version is available right now - Sumo Grande GX.

To describe in one word, it is an 'amazing' package for an on road price of 8.78 lacs.

The dealer told me that it gives a mileage of 12 km in city without A/C.
Already 10 have been booked with this dealer. This is going to be a Scorpio beater. The dealer jokingly & informally said that it is going to eat even into Safari sales. He feels that it will not go for Taxi and it is completely different from Sumo.

All the 3 rows are very comfortable for seating and interiors look definitely better than scorpio. The A/C vents on the roofs are awesome.

I had a test drive and it was pretty decent. There were some pickup issues with 2nd gear but overrall it was really good.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:29   #54
BHPian

I got to TD the Grande at Fortune-Thane. Only GX is available. Ex-mumbai - Rs.8.65L on road.
Gears are Hard. They claim a mileage of 16 under test conditions. Interiors Fit & finish is very plastic. Carrying luggage with 8 people will be an issue as a carrier cannot be fixed as per the dealer. NO ABS.
Overall i am a bit dissapointed but will wait and watch whether to go for an HAWK or Grande. As i find Hawk a bit expensive without any other versions.
Old 24th February 2008, 16:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

I saw one standing near my house. Orange Colour. Will Get Pictures soon
Old 24th February 2008, 17:36   #56
LLL
BHPian

I think Tatas are missing out a trick to make Grande unbeatable...

they should offer AT, AT+Cruise Control, ABS and Airbags as value packages on every grande variant.

A Grande EX+ABS+Airbags will make a safe drive for most of folks. A Grande LX+AT+CC will make a perfect cheap SUV for long highway drives and b-2-b city runs.
Old 24th February 2008, 17:40   #57
BHPian

i feel grande will kill safari. safari anyway looks dated.

with new look, new engine 2.2 same in safari it really does not make sense in buying a safari unless a person is 4x4 oriented (to get some kind of offroad) or simply snob value.

looks good!!!
Old 24th February 2008, 17:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Went to Automobile Sterling in Noida to have a look at the vehicle. It would rate a very highly but for the traditional Tata weakness, i.e plastic quality. The plastic quality, fitment and texture is much worse than an Indica. Straight lines, poor grain of the materials and a complete lack of imagination as far as the layout and detailing is concerned. The gear lever switches and ac vents feel pathetic.

It is a vehicle I would buy the day Tata improvs the quality of the interiors but they seem to be going from bad to worse.
Old 24th February 2008, 17:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Went to Automobile Sterling in Noida to have a look at the vehicle. It would rate a very highly but for the traditional Tata weakness, i.e plastic quality. The plastic quality, fitment and texture is much worse than an Indica. Straight lines, poor grain of the materials and a complete lack of imagination as far as the layout and detailing is concerned. The gear lever switches and ac vents feel pathetic.

It is a vehicle I would buy the day Tata improvs the quality of the interiors but they seem to be going from bad to worse.
now with some of you guys who saw the vehicle saying interiors are bad...
i wonder what TATA is trying to do with this vehicle ? if they are targetting individual buyers, the quality of interiors is going to be a turn off...

does this come with the same engine as safari ? and in same state of tune ?

if only interiors were good, it would have been a good scorpio alternative/
Old 24th February 2008, 17:55   #60
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

how is the external paint job, fit and finish, quality of body metal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks