Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 09:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

The steering design looks really sick. I spotted one grand last week on Blr roads.
Old 4th March 2008, 09:38   #122

I did TDcheers: in Pune and I told Luggage carrier can be comfortably fitted for a large family . May be Thane delaer is unaware .I'm looking for a vehicle with roof carrier .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
I got to TD the Grande at Fortune-Thane. Only GX is available. Ex-mumbai - Rs.8.65L on road.
Gears are Hard. They claim a mileage of 16 under test conditions. Interiors Fit & finish is very plastic. Carrying luggage with 8 people will be an issue as a carrier cannot be fixed as per the dealer. NO ABS.
Overall i am a bit dissapointed but will wait and watch whether to go for an HAWK or Grande. As i find Hawk a bit expensive without any other versions.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:33   #123
BHPian

Saw one of them yesterday on the Delhi Gurgaon highway. Looks to me a modified 407 with some seats and a hardtop.

I guess the flow lines could have been improved like the Dicor.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:33   #124
BHPian

Has anyone of T-BHPians bought a Grande? If so please share your ownership experience with us
Old 19th May 2008, 14:54   #125
BHPian

Use the search function buddy

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-pics-car.html
Old 26th May 2008, 14:13   #126
BHPian

@ above ..

Thanks for the link
Old 26th May 2008, 15:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Finally did a TD on Sat. The mid-end version (dont remember what thats called).
* Average looks - not eye catching and not ugly either. Overall a "lazy" design effort.
* Decent seats, not enough side support. No height adjustment on this one but I did not miss it. Not too soft or firm so should be ok on long drives.
* Clutch was a little heavy (I drive an OHC) but nothing dramatic.
* First few minutes were like "sh*t-i-cannot-see-the-smaller-cars" but I got used to the size real quick. Nice view all around.
* My friend in the 3rd row was thrown off on the first speed breaker we crossed - he promptly moved to the middle row and buckled up
* Amazingly easy u-turns! I had just TD'd an SX4, and this did not feel much tougher!
* Vague steering - lot of play. One got used to it in a few minutes, but there is little little "road feel" and the steering's not precise at all.
* Claimed FE 12-14 in the city with A/C, 15-16 on the highway!!(?)
* Plastics not that great, as expected, though no rattles and nothing broke off.
* Had expected the cabin to be noisier, especially with the windows down.
* At certain rpms there were some vibes in the steering wheel, though nothing major enough to be irritating. A leather wrapped wheel should help the skinny steering feel.

Questions:
* Are different settings possible for the rear leafs ? Its very bouncy on rough tarmac, a slightly harsher ride will be a decent tradeoff if possible.
* Are there any fixes for the steering ? I would not say this is a deal breaker, but I'd be worried doing high speeds on curves.

Last edited by zenx : 26th May 2008 at 15:36.
Old 26th May 2008, 16:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

Also, the showroom guy at Prerna was unsure of carriers being fitted onto the vehicle. Given the zero space behind the 3rd row, this is important. Does anyone know if this can be done?
The options also mentioned 7/8 seat configurations - are those 3rd row variations, or bucket seats in the second row ?
Old 27th May 2008, 09:00   #129
Senior - BHPian

Help - ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Questions:
* Are different settings possible for the rear leafs ? Its very bouncy on rough tarmac, a slightly harsher ride will be a decent tradeoff if possible.
* Are there any fixes for the steering ? I would not say this is a deal breaker, but I'd be worried doing high speeds on curves.
Not enough experience with Grandes ? For the suspension, at least, there must be a few generic fixes. Somehow, though, they do not seem to be selling too many. Maybe priced too close to the Safari LX
Old 8th June 2008, 01:45   #130
BHPian

It looks ike the guy who designed that steerig wheel picked one up from the junk yard. Its the ugliest thing i have ever seen. The interiors are so out of place. It does fill a gap 7-8 lakhs Tavera vs sumo. It's a car out of time and place(yet i am sure it can do well here).
Old 12th June 2009, 05:25   #131
BHPian

SUMO GRANDE TCIC, is it VFM now?

I visited a TATA showroom yesterday, and came to know that the Sumo Grande has been introduced with the TCIC engine and a lower price tag, I don't know which engine it has, as the Sumo comes with 2 engine options, has any body checked this car out, if yes, please update this tread with your observations and if you think that it's a VFM proposition now.
Old 12th June 2009, 12:41   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I visited a TATA showroom yesterday, and came to know that the Sumo Grande has been introduced with the TCIC engine and a lower price tag, I don't know which engine it has, as the Sumo comes with 2 engine options, has any body checked this car out, if yes, please update this tread with your observations and if you think that it's a VFM proposition now.
TCIC? The only TCIC engine I know from Tata is the 90 bhp that started out in the Safari, then the Sierra and finally the Sumo. I doubt it meets the current emission norms. Plus, it's a wheezer by today's common-rail standards.

Tata needed a cheaper variant of the Sumo though. Mahindra's walking all over the Sumo.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:11   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
TCIC? The only TCIC engine I know from Tata is the 90 bhp that started out in the Safari, then the Sierra and finally the Sumo. I doubt it meets the current emission norms. Plus, it's a wheezer by today's common-rail standards.

Tata needed a cheaper variant of the Sumo though. Mahindra's walking all over the Sumo.
You are right, it is the same engine

http://www.sumogrande.com/Sumo-Grande.pdf

Strangely a couple of weeks ago my SA at Concorde was saying it was the 3L DI turbo from the Sumo/207
Old 12th June 2009, 19:39   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Have seen this model (and the very same one at that) in the showroom for about 3+ months now, which speaks about it's acceptance in itself. Anyways, the interiors are the same as the Grande DiCOR (ie. biege in colour). The accelerator pedal looks like the one on the Indica (and not the drive-by-wire type of the DiCOR's. Don't have much details other than these.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumo Grande First Impressions-image0081.jpg  

Old 29th April 2011, 17:08   #135

Re: Sumo Grande First Impressions

Man,
I was driving My Sumo Grande (Turbo) while returning from my trip from Ambikapur which is 340KM from Raipur. The drive was horrible..... that very instance I thought to give my reviews on Grande.

The vehicle is sooooo slow at inclinations that you can cook your food while driving, and you bet cooking will finish first. Leaf spring suspension make turning impossible even at 40KMPH.

I have this vehicle since end 2009. But has some Pros and Cons.

Inner space is good.
Seat height is good. This helps you look over, even if the vehicle coming from other side is on high beam.

Dislikes:
Poor Engine Performance. Its Turbocharged IDI engine. Non-TC version was used in old sumo.
Poor KMPL, only runs 11 KM in a liter of diesel.
Poor Pick up. This is the most annoying drawback in the vehicle. If Gande is overtaking it should need 400 Meters of clear road to overtake even its a Truck.
Unstable on turns. This is mainly due to uneven weight balance and Height:Width ratio.

The other model (i.e., Mark II) has better engine and engine performance. It has Safari 2.2L engine. It overcomes all the drawback in turbo model. But still turning stability is doubted.

Hope this information meets your postulate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks