Old 26th February 2008, 16:47   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner Wheelz View Post
Most of all the space is less.
How did you figure that out mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith_ka View Post
Dear reignofchaos, Ford Endeavour which is an SUV, also plonks Leaf Springs(Progressive Linear Rate) with Low Friction Pads as part of rear suspension.
And I saw in another thread that the Hummer has leaf springs as well

Last edited by suman : 26th February 2008 at 16:50.
Old 26th February 2008, 17:40   #77
LLL
BHPian

Visited Auto sterling in noida and they had a green and a orange grande.

Both looked awesome when viewed from front. However side and rear profiles look okish. Interiors are really good,better than safari. However again tata quality comes into focus. the salesguy had a hard time to fold rear seat and then ended up breaking a lever.

No TD was allowed as they havent received temp reg as yet.
Old 26th February 2008, 19:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith_ka View Post
Dear reignofchaos, Ford Endeavour which is an SUV, also plonks Leaf Springs(Progressive Linear Rate) with Low Friction Pads as part of rear suspension. I bet it is ridiculous in your books yet again. - No offence meant pal.
Yup it is and ask anyone who has td'ed it about how harsh and terrible the ride quality is.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:10   #79
rippergeo

all this cribbing about the interiors and suspension is making even me, a die hard tata critic, want to defend the grande. this thing is more value for money than any other SUV/people carrier out there. its a brilliant effort by tata and we should focus on that.

just the turning radius is enough to make me want to buy one.

Old 26th February 2008, 20:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

And I saw in another thread that the Hummer has leaf springs as well

Hummer has 5 link coil springs not leaf springs.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
V the salesguy had a hard time to fold rear seat and then ended up breaking a lever.
Seems he does know how to use it. It took me sometime to figure out how its done. You need to work on two levers to pull it up/down.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Guys Put your hands up for this -

Value for Money Car of The Year - Sumo Grande
Old 26th February 2008, 21:04   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Guys Put your hands up for this -

Value for Money Car of The Year - Sumo Grande
I would say Grande is winner of VFM car Q1 2008. May be with Nano out later in the year it may steal the award.
Old 26th February 2008, 21:33   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Hummer has 5 link coil springs not leaf springs.
He's talking about the H3 which still comes with leafs.
Old 26th February 2008, 22:23   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Saw a Marine blue TATA Sumo Grande GX version at a Chennai showroom today.

Very macho looks. Is it just me or do others also see a similarity with the Mitsubishi Montero in side profile?

The front has a mean, butch look to it. The tail lights are eye-catching. The colour and the paint job were impressive. Side foot rails are standard on this top-end version; no roof rails though. No resemblance to the old Sumo definitely.

Front bucket (with armrest) and reclining middle row seats are comfortable. The 3rd row gives a little bit of 'knee to chin' feeling with poor underthigh support but will nevertheless seat 3 abreast. Ingress to the 3rd row by folding the 2nd is not too cumbersome. Unlike the Innova, with the 3rd row in sitting position there is hardly any space even for knick-knacks at the back.

4 roof mounted directional AC vents for middle and 3rd row passengers with a single speed/ throw adjuster and reading lights for all 3 rows are top notch. The faux-wood fascia merges well. Puddle lamps on all doors are a good safety feature.

6 speaker music system - 2 on the dashboard, 2 on the front and 2 on the 2nd row doors. Could not sound it out. There is even provision for a speaker on the side opening tail gate - not sure if it will seat a woofer though. The spare wheel goes away from the tail gate increasing rear visibility and reducing chance of door rattle since the weight is less. Rear wash-wipe with demister, power sockets - very thoughtful.

Could not get a test-drive as it was their closing time; might get to tomorrow. Even without the engine switched on the gear lever was very uncomfortable to shift; incomparison the Safari and Indigo (parked at the showroom) were so light. The gear lever may turn out to be a big sore point for me .
Test drove a Marine blue TATA Sumo Grande GX version - it was marked demo vehicle and not the same in the show room.

Couple of points I missed in the interiors yesterday - there is a sunglass holder above the front glass and a double cup holder when you open the glove box which has a lock. Middle row cup holders are also useful.

The stereo sounded good. The instrument cluster is attractive. Under seat storage like in Hyundai Santro and Ford Fusion is welcome.

The 16 inch tubeless tyres add to the Grand(e) looks and safety. The external paint quality and fit and finish is stunning and belie the fact that the Grande is from the TATA stables.

Height and lumbar adjust seats are a boon. The middle row seats have a nice adjustable recline, a la Toyota Innova. The triple row AC with direction adjustment is COOL (pun intended!). I was surprised by the speed at which it cools although it is not as quite as the one in the Maruti Versa.

On to the test drive - vroooooooooom

The ignition key slot is illuminated - nice touch. The engine was not too noisy at idle or during the run. The ride was decent at speeds upto 50kms/hr which I was able to reach on good and pot holed roads - definitely not as bouncy as the Scorpio which I gave the miss after a test drive (NO, this is NOT intended to be Scorpio bashing - but for the ride and the poor AC it is an excellent vehicle). Not sure how the Grande will be at higher speeds. The turning circle is definitely smaller that of Safari, almost on the lines of a sedan. The gear shift was not as bad as it looked yesterday but the one on the Safari is definitely smoother.

In summary I am sold on the Grande and am likely to make a booking shortly.

There is no definite delivery schedule as the price list is not ready and according to another dealer one of the reasons for the delay is the lack of a GO/ RTO clearance for white board (private vehicle) registration as it seats 8. Is that likely to be true or is it just an uninformed dealers mumbo-jumbo?
Old 27th February 2008, 00:00   #86
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
There is no definite delivery schedule as the price list is not ready and according to another dealer one of the reasons for the delay is the lack of a GO/ RTO clearance for white board (private vehicle) registration as it seats 8. Is that likely to be true or is it just an uninformed dealers mumbo-jumbo?
i was told by a noida dealer that it is classsified as 7 seater. 1 seat less due to middle row armrest.
Old 27th February 2008, 02:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unlike the Innova, with the 3rd row in sitting position there is hardly any space even for knick-knacks at the back.
Thats a problem. When one has the capability of carrying 7 passengers one shouldnot have to resort to carrying their luggage on the roof. In this case roof rails are also not present.
Old 27th February 2008, 03:08   #88
BHPian

Saw A Grande From RF Motors Cochin, Built Quality Looks So Crappy.......Plastics Feel So.....Plastic Bucketish....Me Disappointed

Old 27th February 2008, 04:04   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
i was told by a noida dealer that it is classsified as 7 seater. 1 seat less due to middle row armrest.
thats just gimmicry and trying to get by on a blasted technicality. i wish we indians would stop trying to sc@£w the system and just get on with rectifying what is wrong and doing what is right...

jeepers!!!
Old 27th February 2008, 07:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats a problem. When one has the capability of carrying 7 passengers one shouldnot have to resort to carrying their luggage on the roof. In this case roof rails are also not present.
By the way, not all roof rails can carry load.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks