Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Sorry for my knowledge Infact I'm also new owner of Second hand Plaio 1.2NV ELPS but my cars 5th gear does not engage if i do not lift up that gear knob.

Can anyone here please guide me if there is something wrong with my car?
Get it checked ASAP. 5th gear does not need any knob to pull... Reverse needs and it is that way to prevent any accidental use of reverse gear..
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Get it checked ASAP. 5th gear does not need any knob to pull... Reverse needs and it is that way to prevent any accidental use of reverse gear..
Okay I got it checked from Fiat Service cener guys and they told me that my local mechanic has put the Fiat Sienna White plastic part which engages gear instead of Palio. So thats the reason I've to lift up the shift lock while moving to the 5th gear.
Can it cause any problem to the cars engine?
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Okay I got it checked from Fiat Service cener guys and they told me that my local mechanic has put the Fiat Sienna White plastic part which engages gear instead of Palio. So thats the reason I've to lift up the shift lock while moving to the 5th gear.
Can it cause any problem to the cars engine?
Please be more elaborate on this Sameer. I don't think any Siena had knob to lift to engage 5th gear.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Please be more elaborate on this Sameer. I don't think any Siena had knob to lift to engage 5th gear.
Ok see there's a white plastic part beneath the gear rod.. i dont know its name but it engages the gears when we lift up the shift lock.
That part shape is different for palio and sienna. The white part of sienna is compatible with the gear rod of sienna and it does not need to lift up the shift lock for engaging gear lever in it. But by mistake the mechanic has put the sienna part in my palio and hence the gear rod is not matching to that whte part to engage the 5th gear without lifting the shift lock.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Siena didnt have the shift lock to 5th gear thingy either.. only for reverse. Sameer551, I think its time for you to engage another mechanic. It must be a real torture to shift to 5th gear while lifting the shift lock as the vehicle is moving !! .. I dont know how you have endured it for so long !
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:38   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok see there's a white plastic part beneath the gear rod.. i dont know its name but it engages the gears when we lift up the shift lock.
That part shape is different for palio and sienna. The white part of sienna is compatible with the gear rod of sienna and it does not need to lift up the shift lock for engaging gear lever in it. But by mistake the mechanic has put the sienna part in my palio and hence the gear rod is not matching to that whte part to engage the 5th gear without lifting the shift lock.
AFAIK, both the gear levers are exactly same in design and require the same parts. I have 1% doubt that your mechanic could be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Siena didnt have the shift lock to 5th gear thingy either.. only for reverse. Sameer551, I think its time for you to engage another mechanic. It must be a real torture to shift to 5th gear while lifting the shift lock as the vehicle is moving !! .. I dont know how you have endured it for so long !
And lifting the knob to shift to 5th also defeats the purpose of the mechanism.
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
AFAIK, both the gear levers are exactly same in design and require the same parts. I have 1% doubt that your mechanic could be right.

And lifting the knob to shift to 5th also defeats the purpose of the mechanism.
I'm not being able to describe in words the problem..but the parts for both cars are not identical and the there is slight difference. I did not say that the partr for sienna need to engage in 5th gear either...but when we put that part in palio its not functioning the same way as it should and hence need to lift up...wish i could have shown u. Will try to take pics of both parts and show u guys very soon.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:57   #38

Hi,

Congrats for your new car, My name is Piyush, previously i had an esteem and maruti 800, but recently i bought my first car (as i am responsible for the emi's)which is a Palio 1.6 sports (red color), and for this i did a survey of 7-8 months...oh what a machine it is, so much power under its hood.....i think this is one of the best cars right now on Indian road and now i can proudly say that the time i spent before zeroing on this machine is worth......europians are actually intelligent people....this is one intelligent machine....what beautiful and masculine noise it produces when you rev this machine, may be its a gift from ferrari makers when you buy any fiat cars.......if you compare its engine with other cars on Indian road then this beast is at par....then comes safety...i think fiat always believes in "Customer Safety is their Prime Concern" and you come to know this only when you try lifting its hood...its doors are also pretty heavy....the only thing to dislike about this car is that, it needs very frequent visits to gas stations but again you can only wish for either power or mileage and i am on the former side.....overall this is one intelligent car with features like, you can never start the car on high beam...then it comes with fire prevention system...it has got hydraulic clutch...moreover it comes in a very nominal price tag as compared to other cars on road offering this much...i paid 4.3L for this machine and in return what i got..the list is endless...first and the most important thing "the Alloy wheels"...threaded gears just like honda's...rear wash and wiper...submarine seats, so good for your back...all power windows with front control as well...child lock...so much rear leg room more than any car of this segment...big boot...wiring for any blaupunkt system, that means no chance of losing warranty...and the biggest feature of this machine is its engine "the 1600 cc, 100bhp, and 137Nm of torque"...i can bet anyone on this that no other makers are offering this much in 4.3 Lacs.....it gives you so much pleasure while driving...and moreover the more you press your foot on accelerator, every time you can feel the response.....i drive from gurgaon to noida daily and i many times i tried overtaking vehicles on 5 gear while driving on low speeds and believe me it never lets you down....so basically i think i am love with this car...so my advice to all who craves for power in low cost, this is the best buy...

thanks.

Last edited by piyushpande : 9th April 2008 at 18:08.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:22   #39

Hmmm.
I congratulate everyone who have bought this car or is planning to buy one.
I have been doing research on cars as I plan to buy one in next month. I must admit. I am intensely impressed to see that I never found any Fiat owner who is not in love with his car in spite of poor FE or awful A S S
I will soon join their group: the coveted Fiat owners group.
AMEN cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks