Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 13:25   #16
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i agree with you on this. the innova is overall a better choice unless you want to go off-roading. however, the safari's 2.2 engine has a slight advantage in acceleration and in-gear timings but the innova's engine is more refined. not that the safari 2.2 is noisy, but at high revs, its sound is too coarse.
I think the safari engine is a beauty with umpteen reports of 14-18 kmpl average being reported on t-bhp. Its everything else that kills the product.

I think that tatas should sell their engines to some other manufacturer (like what fiat does with mjd) and let the other manuf build the rest of the car & assemble, sell and service the car.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:33   #17
BHPian

LLL
what was the final you paid / are gonna be paying for the innova ? galaxy toyota ?
Old 5th June 2008, 13:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
I think the safari engine is a beauty with umpteen reports of 14-18 kmpl average being reported on t-bhp. Its everything else that kills the product.

I think that tatas should sell their engines to some other manufacturer (like what fiat does with mjd) and let the other manuf build the rest of the car & assemble, sell and service the car.
my cousin's 2.2 safari gives him 9 in mumbai city and 13.5 on the highways.
when i took it to shirdi, it gave an average of 12.8 kmpl.
my friend's safari 2.2 gives him 8 and 12 respectively.
thats nowhere near the 18 kmpl mentioned on t-bhp.
yes, but i still prefer the VTT over the innova's D-4D...
Old 5th June 2008, 16:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my cousin's 2.2 safari gives him 9 in mumbai city and 13.5 on the highways.
when i took it to shirdi, it gave an average of 12.8 kmpl.
my friend's safari 2.2 gives him 8 and 12 respectively.
thats nowhere near the 18 kmpl mentioned on t-bhp.
yes, but i still prefer the VTT over the innova's D-4D...
Those are honest realistic mileage quotes uve mentioned similar to the ones i get on my 2.2 4x4. MIxed cycles 11.5 with 100% ac & 9kpl flat out.

The astronomical figures quoted on tbhp are probably achieved by 2.2 2wd driven with a very light foot and no ac and mostly wide open roads with less traffic & minimum gearchanges. I cant drive like that
Old 5th June 2008, 17:51   #20
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
LLL
what was the final you paid / are gonna be paying for the innova ? galaxy toyota ?
9.71 lakhs is the OTR for 7 seater, inclusive of 5k corp +23k dealer/insurance discount.
Old 5th June 2008, 19:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Those are honest realistic mileage quotes uve mentioned similar to the ones i get on my 2.2 4x4. MIxed cycles 11.5 with 100% ac & 9kpl flat out.

The astronomical figures quoted on tbhp are probably achieved by 2.2 2wd driven with a very light foot and no ac and mostly wide open roads with less traffic & minimum gearchanges. I cant drive like that
no one can/should drive like that buddy under normal traffic conditions. 18 kmpl out of a 140 bhp engine carrying 2 tons of mass seems ridiculous to me! then whats the difference between an indigo and safari?
Old 5th June 2008, 23:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no one can/should drive like that buddy under normal traffic conditions. 18 kmpl out of a 140 bhp engine carrying 2 tons of mass seems ridiculous to me! then whats the difference between an indigo and safari?
True! If mileage was a real concern for me then i wudve bought an economiser. The day i cant afford the fuel il stop driving. Until then all 140 horses will run my race and race hard at that!
Old 8th June 2008, 14:52   #23
LLL
BHPian

Got my Simpson Red G4 7 Seater Toyota Innova delivered today

Arrived at the dealership at 11 am, armed with the PDi checklist and left by 12:30 pm. Car had clocked 34 kms at time of exit.

Had asked for stereo, remote central locking, rear guard and mudflaps be pre-installed. Got everything except remote central locking.

Dealership experience has been patchy...excellent and not upto the mark as well.

Excellent - as personnel were very good.

Pathetic - i had asked for Central locking be installed, but they ran out of stock on delivery day..they should have taken care of it in advance. Invoice for music system was not ready and again they should have take care of it in advance. They did not honor my request for bridgestone tyres saying it would void warranty and i ended up getting goodyear. I hope goodyears are not bad? any issues to be aware of?

But apart from that, i am happy and enjoying the new car.

BTW, Trying to get used to the massive size and nearly broke my right ORVM in a near brush with bus. Just avoided it by few cms.

pics coming soon...watch this space.

MODS: Can you pls change title to "Toyota Innova G4 -delivered 08/06/2008"

Last edited by LLL : 8th June 2008 at 14:57.
Old 8th June 2008, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Congratulations! The Innova is a head turner in Black and Red! May she serve you with unlimited hours and kilometres of driving pleasure! Be safe and ride safe.
Old 8th June 2008, 16:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats LLL!

Quote:
...BTW, Trying to get used to the massive size and nearly broke my right ORVM in a near brush with bus. Just avoided it by few cms...
Ouch! Close call, I say!

Quote:
...pics coming soon...watch this space...
Old 8th June 2008, 16:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

@LLL >> Congrats on your new buy. Do take care of the color since minor scratches become noticable. You may consider a guard at the rear. other drivers tend to get too close & a reverse camera will surely help.
The size is good buddy. A matter of maximizing the sq ft & sq inches for every paisa its worth. Trust me space is everything. Enjoy your large personal space on the road. Happy driving.
Old 8th June 2008, 17:49   #27
LLL
BHPian

Thanks everyone.

Had a question...how should i run in the car?
Old 8th June 2008, 18:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

frankly, the manufacturer knows the best. read the manual and they have given all the run-in precautions.
when i got my innova, i was suprised when the dealer told me there were no run-in conditions or speed limit or any care to be taken for the first 1000 kms, he said "just drive normally" especially since the car manual clearly states your run-in period precautions!!!
just dont try to over-rev th engine and dont cross 80 kmph in 5th gear. avoid sudden or hard braking too as new brakes need time to 'set-in'...
congrats buddy.
Old 8th June 2008, 18:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

You need to drive to run-in the vehicle! You need to ensure that you have fuel in the tank. Sit behind the wheel. Say your prayers. Put the key in the ignition. Start her. Then you will good to go. Drive around aimlessly for a couple of thousand kms and you won't even know that the run-in has been done. Just ensure that you keep the revs under 2K and you follow the gear-speed ratios.
Old 8th June 2008, 19:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Just ensure that you keep the revs under 2K and you follow the gear-speed ratios.
that will be a little tough considering the turbo starts around that point.

i think you should keep below 3k rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks