Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 00:02   #1
BHPian

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems

Hello Everyone!!!

MUL Launched its entry level sedan replacing its old workhorse Maruti Esteem around 3 months ago. For past three months I have been doing surveys for a small car to buy. I had shortlisted Maruti Swift (Diesel Version) out of all the options. I was ready to buy the Swift VDi version which was costing me around Rs. 5.04 Lac (ex showroom, Chandigarh price). Then I was told that there was a waiting for 3-5 months for that car and to top it all they were not even taking in and new bookings for the car. The car was demanding a premium of around Rs. 20,000 if you want next day delivery. I was not at all ready to spend extra 20,000. While I was talking to the GM of a local maruti dealership, he told me that MUL is launching Swift DZire next month. I told him that I am aware about the car and I have seen the pictures. Quite frankly, I did not like what i saw in pre-launch pictures of the Swift Dzire. But that guy said he has seen the car in person and told me that it looked pretty great, infact he went on to say that the back of Dzire looks like Mercedes S-Class (which definitely isn’t the case). But, he insisted on me to wait for Dzire before buying Swift. I did not have any choice as the Swift VDi was not available and I was not ready to pay any premium.

So, when the Maruti Dzire was launched, after looking at their website, I liked the car. But, most the times cars look better in pictures shot by professionals than actual. So, the very next day I went to a local dealership to look at the car. Dzire looked even better in person than on their website. I took the test Drive and liked it. The rear of the car is very attractive. It has a chrome strip running in the center. Bootspace is around 460 liters. Price of the car was pretty decent. The Diesel Version costs between 5.39 lac to 6.70 lac. The petrol version costs between 4.52 lac to 5.92 lac. Features offered in the top end model and great like ABS and EBD, Airbags, automatic Climate control, steering mounted audio controls, tilt steering, height adjustable seats. None of the cars in this price range offers features like these and even some the cars above this price range do not offer features like these.

I was interested in buying the diesel version of the car. I finally decided on the Vdi model which was (before the price hike of 21K) priced at around 5.94 lac. Vdi has a double din integrated MP3 player, a display on the dashboard which gives you time and the temperature, superior upholstery, body colored door handles and RVMs, black A & B pillars, keyless entry, central locking with keyless entry (keyless entry is discontinued now), front and rear power windows when compared to Ldi version. For me this justified for the extra 50,000 in price.

The top model of the car ZDi offers features like ABS, twin air bags, steering mounted audio controls, automatic climate control, alloy wheels, 185X70X14 tires. All these features are very useful and worth paying for, but I didn’t wanted to get into a price bracket of around 7 lac. When you go into that segment, you start looking at other options which might not have the similar set of features but have better brand names like Honda City etc.

Overall, Dzire offers you a very good value for your money. And since its a Maruti, you don’t have to worry about things like spare parts, service centers and resale value.

So, I booked Silky Silver Swift DZire VDi. From the initial survey i found out that if I book the car now I will get a delivery in around 1-2 months. But I found out a newly opened dealership which promised me to deliver the car within a week. But it took more than a month for the car to arrive. I made repeated trips to the dealership and visited their yard. They sold 4 silver VDi's before mine, however mine was the first one to be booked at that dealership. They kept giving me crap about previous customers changing their colors and they had to give priority to them. I am sure they have sold them at premium.
Anyhow, I now feel lucky that I got it in a month. The waiting period now is 8 months and premium is anywhere between 30k-45k. My car was delivered on 3rd May, 2008. Booking was done on 27th march, 2008.

Okay, lets get down to the car now.

Engine
Dzire comes in 1300cc Multijet diesel. Diesel engine is same that was in Swift. It’s an award winning engine which uses technology from FIAT. No complaints about the engine. Pickup is good, after around 2200 RPM. Noise level inside the cabin is very less for a diesel car. I have been keeping the RPM below 2000 RPM (and plan to do it for first 5k Kms), except a few occasions and speed below 60 for first 1000 Kms. All in all, I am very much satisfied with the engine of the car. EPS is good and turning radius is amazing.

Looks & Styling
The sedan is a replica of the hatchback with a boot attached along. The chunky C-pillar is moved towards the back and rear quarter glass has grown in size. Maruti has extended the rear doors and hence the seats are pushed to the back to give more legroom for the rear passengers. Front seats are comfy and very supportive.

Interiors
Interiors have been refreshed. Integrated single din stereo which plays MP3, WMA, audio CDs and radio is a welcome change. The Speedometer and tachometer looks good with chrome surrounds and are white-lit which looks cool at night.

Fuel Economy
Before the first service at 1k kms, it gave an average of around 15. After the first service, on the full tank I got around 17 kmpl, 2nd tank gave 18.8 kmpl and last time I checked average was 19.3 kmpl with around 3000 KMs on ODO. 70% driving has been on highways with 30% in city, a/c always on.

Issues
A few people told me about the issue with the brakes. People told me that you have push really hard for braking. My car’s brakes were pretty good, never had any problem with it.
I do have the issue with the reverse gear. It gets struck at times. I asked on my first service about the issue and they told me it will be set after around 5k. I really don’t buy that. Is that really the case? What really is the issue? Is it gear oil?
Car rattles on bad roads with potholes. On a smooth road you won’t notice anything and its really very quite. Build quality of the car is not upto the mark. It makes a very cheap thud sound when you close the doors with windows rolled down. Interiors look good, but quality of plastic is very cheap. It seems like, if you punch the dashboard (not that hard) you can drill a hole in it.
The car didn’t really felt planted on speeds above 100. The issue were the tires (JK 165X70X14). I upgraded to Michelin XM1 (185X70X14).
After the tire change car feels planted and well in control on high speeds and while jumping into the turns on speeds above than normal.

After Market Parts:
  • 4 X Michelin XM1 (185X70X14) – Rs. 8000 (after exchanging the old tires @ Rs. 1300 each tire, with Michelin costing Rs. 3300/tire).
  • Autoform DriFit seat covers PU/Art Leather with proper bucket type fittings – Rs. 5500 with labor.
  • Leather wrap steering cover (Stanley)Rs. 1250
  • 2 sets of Xenos reverse parking sensors (with alarm) – Rs. 2400. Before everyone starts telling me that “why do you need it in a small car like Dzire”, my dad drives this car sometimes. He is not really comfortable with the height of the car and has drive Zen most of his life.
  • Pioneer speakersRs. 5400
  • Relay for glasses (Brand: Scorpio) – Rs. 1000 (which will auto roll up all the window glasses when you lock the car. I have it in my Mahindra Scorpio and really am used to it).
  • Sun control film (Lumar)Rs. 1500
  • Generic rubber footmatsRs. 500
  • Metal number plate (embossed type) – Rs. 600
Total: Rs. 26150

I do plan to get alloys with 15 inch tires later. Basically, after these tires are due for change. Have exhausted my budget for now!!!

See a plethora of the pictures below:
PS: It was raining when I clicked the pictures and sony cameras are crap. Pictures are not the best quality. Spots on the car/seat covers are actually on the lens and not in actual.
PPS: Its been raining for past 3 days, so car is not the cleanest.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02005.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02006.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02007.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02008.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02009.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02010.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02011.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02012.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02013.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02014.jpg  

Last edited by SumitBahl : 16th June 2008 at 00:04.
Old 16th June 2008, 00:09   #2
BHPian

A few more pictures of the car:
The actual color of seat covers is dark grey, pictures were clicked evening time with flash on, it makes it look like something else.
You can see the actual color in the first picture in this post.
Excuse me again for the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02015.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02016.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02017.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02018.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02019.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02020.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02021.jpg  

Swift DZire VDi - 20000 Kms Update - Few Problems-dsc02022.jpg  

Last edited by SumitBahl : 16th June 2008 at 00:12.
Old 16th June 2008, 00:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Sumit.

The steering cover looks nice. Does it get hot (too hot to touch) if the car is parked in direct sunlight for some hours ?
Old 16th June 2008, 10:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Congrats Sumit.

The steering cover looks nice. Does it get hot (too hot to touch) if the car is parked in direct sunlight for some hours ?
Thanks Eddy!!!
Steering does not get hot. Actually, its better than having no cover. The original steering gets pretty hot when compared. The leather wrapped feels good to hold.
Old 16th June 2008, 14:35   #5
TOR
BHPian

..congrats on your new car, drive safe. Maybe you could have gone for beige colored seat covers as the grey ones kind of make the interiors darker.

..about the pics,well the 'shake' is the likely culprit rather than the quality and also the night time was also not helping..maybe you can throw in some 'daytime' shots..
Old 16th June 2008, 15:20   #6
BHPian

Thanks!!

I will get some photos in daytime.
I tried the beige colored seat covers, but they don't go with interiors.
Dashboard, pillars and everything in car is grey. Beige looked odd.
As i said, flash from the camera made the colors look light grey, the actual color is darker and it looks ok. I agree, it makes it look a little darker.

Last edited by SumitBahl : 16th June 2008 at 15:22.
Old 16th June 2008, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. I must say you got a really good deal on you old tyres. I got only 1k per tyre .
The leather steering cover also looks good, i have added that to my wishlist, the list is getting long day by day .
Old 17th June 2008, 12:00   #8
BHPian

Congrats on buying the new car. Looks real neat. And you were smart to book it in advance, you got it early.
And its great you're getting that much for your old tires. My dealer (RNS in Bangalore) is offering my 300rs per tire on a new Swift VXI
Old 17th June 2008, 14:57   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys!!
Rs. 300 for a new tire?
You will easily get Rs. 1000 for a tire, to get a better price you will have to go to a few shops.
Also, do check the prices of new tires. One dealer offered me Rs. 1600 for old tyre and was charging Rs. 500 more than the market price for the new Michelin.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new vehicle. Looks brilliant. Pls post some pics taken during daylight. It will look more brilliant. Drive carefully and don't forget the run in period and what rpm to be kept during run in period. (2500 rpm max for 1000 kms).
Old 17th June 2008, 16:03   #11
BHPian

Thanks

I kept it below 2500 RPM for first 1000 and plan to do it for first 5000. Should take another month or so.
Old 18th June 2008, 08:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

sumit

nice review, and congrats !!

errr... the photo quality doesnt have a problem, i guess its the photographer at fault , you tend to shake the cam too much. and is that an analog cam or a digicam? I guess you must put in some day time photos or evening ones without flash to reflect true pictures!

enjoy your car. btw, i do note that the space at rear is as bad as swift :(
Old 18th June 2008, 09:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review and very detailed Sumit. I am sure many Prospective DeZire buyers are going to enjoy your Post.

I liked the DeZire but the Waiting put me off and I decided to go for the more expensive Verna w/o any safety features.

Very Nice Tints, Steering Covers you have there.
Old 18th June 2008, 10:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
sumit

nice review, and congrats !!

errr... the photo quality doesnt have a problem, i guess its the photographer at fault , you tend to shake the cam too much. and is that an analog cam or a digicam? I guess you must put in some day time photos or evening ones without flash to reflect true pictures!

enjoy your car. btw, i do note that the space at rear is as bad as swift :(
I am no pro as far as photography is concerned. But the main problem was that it was raining and i wanted to get in ASAP. Camera is a digital one.

Space at the rear is same as swift. :(
Old 18th June 2008, 10:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Excellent review and very detailed Sumit. I am sure many Prospective DeZire buyers are going to enjoy your Post.

I liked the DeZire but the Waiting put me off and I decided to go for the more expensive Verna w/o any safety features.

Very Nice Tints, Steering Covers you have there.
Thanks and congrats on Verna.

Its an excellent choice, much better than DZire. If I had that kinda budget, I would have definitely gone for Verna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks