Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2008, 14:01   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
Thats great news. tampering the wiring was my major worry. im sure you would have felt the difference in the highway.

So you recommend it, dont you?
Im done with my first service (at 1300).
Yes. The difference was really huge . Visibility was really good and found it really worth. I would recommend you for this upgrade anyday. Almost one week now, no problems for the bulb or wiring. So i belive what the installer telling was true. Magnum can take in a high wattage bulb without a wiring mod.
Old 26th June 2008, 20:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Yes. The difference was really huge . Visibility was really good and found it really worth. I would recommend you for this upgrade anyday. Almost one week now, no problems for the bulb or wiring. So i belive what the installer telling was true. Magnum can take in a high wattage bulb without a wiring mod.
Fantastic. First thing in my todo list.
I would rate the head lamps at the top of the mod list for magnum.

I guess the service guys have done something to my tyre pressure. The car feels bumpy now.
Also i have observed that the engine noise has increased.
Engine feels smoother now.
The wood finish thingies on the doors started making squeaky noises on rough roads,
Though minor, bit irritating. Max speed traveled till now stands at 145. 1500 Kms on Odo.

Got a scratch on the back bumper when i was parking my zen !
Sad (i would have felt better if i got the scratch while driving the magnum! )

Still not able to judge the right fuel. Yet to try xtra mile. Normal diesel is the best so far.

Will keep updating my findings.
Old 28th July 2008, 20:46   #18
BHPian

I had been considering buying Optra Magnum for a while. I had read nearly all the posts on Team-BHP about Magnum. Finally I took a test drive of Magnum on 24 July. I drove it around Greater Noida including a portion of expressway. Must say I have come back very impressed with the power and handling of this car. I must admit I am not the sort of guy who looks for sheer performance in a car but I was overwhelmed. It just takes off like a rocket when you press the accelerator.

I did not find the car lacking in anyway while driving in low rpm/gear. The test car had only 6000 km on the odometer. I could drive the car comfortably at 100 kmph in 3rd gear and then bring it down to 20 kmph without lowering the gear. Another feature pointed out to me (and tested by me) by the person accompanying me from Shiva Motors (Noida) was that you can put the car in first gear and car will move smoothly without any pressure on accelerator pedal. Also, with a little acceleration once you have put it into 2nd gear, it keeps on moving on its own even when you take off your leg from accelerator pedal.

There was no cabin noise even at high speeds and you could not tell whether it was a diesel or a petrol engine. Ride was very smooth and comfortable. Braking was efficient and so was the AC. I found the cabin to be spacious and seats comfortable. The position of controls (turn indicators and wipers) on the steering is little akward and takes time to adjust to.

I was also tempted to consider Civic as an alternative to buying Magnum. However, I had noticed not so nice feedback about Honda's after sales service, costlier spare parts/service, and soft suspension (low ground clearance). Also, Civic is much costlier (Civic V AT versus Magnum LT) and being petrol will be costlier to run. Of course, it is a very good car in its own with a higher snob value, is better looking and excellent resale value.

The owners of Magnum on Team BHP have reassured me about my decision to buy Magnum. Today, I have given the cheque for booking of Magnum LT. I have to decide on colour of car in a day or two. I like black but my family is dead against it. Can't decide about any other colour. Any advice?
Old 29th July 2008, 10:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchounal View Post
The owners of Magnum on Team BHP have reassured me about my decision to buy Magnum. Today, I have given the cheque for booking of Magnum LT. I have to decide on colour of car in a day or two. I like black but my family is dead against it. Can't decide about any other colour. Any advice?
@vchounal: cheers:Congrats on your choice! checkout the half-white or ivory it looks very elegant and with those ORVM indicators, its in a different league
Old 29th July 2008, 10:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Agreed. The ivory is really very good and gives a diplomatic look

Advance congrats on your new car.
Old 29th July 2008, 15:22   #21
BHPian

Many thanks AirWind and mjothi! I suppose you guys are recommending "Casablanca White"-the official name for Magnum white colour by GM. Or is it "Sparkling Diamond" which is approximately 10000 extra (extra shine and additional 3 coats of paint)?
Old 29th July 2008, 16:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks AirWind and mjothi! I suppose you guys are recommending "Casablanca White"-the official name for Magnum white colour by GM. Or is it "Sparkling Diamond" which is approximately 10000 extra (extra shine and additional 3 coats of paint)?
yes the casablanca white is the normal white colour, where as Ivory Gold (its not really gold but kinda pearl white) is 3 coat paint which will cost you 10k extra...not sure if the magnum has sparkling diamond.
Old 29th July 2008, 16:38   #23
BHPian

The GM web site calls it "Sparkling Diamond" and it is creamish. This is the one which is 3 coat paint.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:38   #24
BHPian

Finally selected and booked Cashmere colour Magnum LT. Hope to receive within 2 weeks.
Old 30th July 2008, 22:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Finally selected and booked Cashmere color Magnum LT. Hope to receive within 2 weeks.
Congrats @vchounal You will love the vehicle. Cashmere is a nice color too. I felt the car looks bigger in that color.
When is it getting delivered? Have you planned any accessories. I feel parking sensors are a must. I plan to get them on this week.
Also planning to upgrade the bulbs as discussed before in this thread.
Enjoy your ride and let us know of your experiences.
Old 31st July 2008, 08:57   #26
BHPian

I am expecting car to be delivered by 12th August. Do share your experience of installing parking sensors. I may also go for the same if it does not affect the car warranty. Bulbs, I will chnge but do let us know which bulbs you upgrade to.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Finally selected and booked Cashmere colour Magnum LT. Hope to receive within 2 weeks.
congratulations vchounal!! finally you could decide the colour, you will love that thing, cashmere look really good and it compliments the car. do use the team-bhp PDI checklist while taking the delivery.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:04   #28
BHPian

I have already taken a print out of the check list. Many thanks to BHPians for their efforts in educating on these important matters.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:42   #29
BHPian

So is nobody buying the Petrol Magnum any more ?? All the discussions I see on this forum pertain to the Diesel version. Would like to know more about the performance, FE, ride quality of the Petrol version as my mind (and heart) just doesn't want to accept diesel cars due to the long term maintenance costs.

Last edited by samirsarkar : 31st July 2008 at 11:43.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
So is nobody buying the Petrol Magnum any more ?? All the discussions I see on this forum pertain to the Diesel version. Would like to know more about the performance, FE, ride quality of the Petrol version as my mind (and heart) just doesn't want to accept diesel cars due to the long term maintenance costs.
GM is committed to total maintenance cost not exceeding Rs 26,999/- for 3 years for Magnum (diesel) which I think is quite reassuring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks