Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 12:00   #46
BANNED

Re: My Chevy Optra magnum LS 1000 KM review

Hello kris905 -

I have been going through a lot (almost all ) of posts related to the Optra Diesel and looking forward to buying one.

I have been posting my questions to fellow T-BHPians about the Optra, I have a small question, if you may help me with this,

@ 40K, how do the tyres look like? As in have they worn out or are they still manageable?

Another thing was, would you recommend a tyre change from the OEM that one usually receives (I saw Apollo Acelere on a new October 2010 make)?
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:45   #47
BHPian

Tyres are worn out , i have to change all in another 2K. Thats understandable as the diesel engine is heavy.
I am still running stock tyres, there has been some tyre noise all the time but i haven't had any issues with cornering or braking so far.

But i know the performance will be significantly better if you change the stock as i have driven a magnum with yokohoma and it was fantastic.

Another part you might want to change is the headlamp. Those are very inadequate.

Go for it! with all the discounts and enhancement thrown in now, i still cant find a better deal than this. A real beast i should say, even after 3 years i love every bit of the car.

Another point is the service, Deedi has been exceptionally good, and the CPC really works, i havent spent a rupee on service yet. Its always 0 bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Hello kris905 -

I have been going through a lot (almost all ) of posts related to the Optra Diesel and looking forward to buying one.

I have been posting my questions to fellow T-BHPians about the Optra, I have a small question, if you may help me with this,

@ 40K, how do the tyres look like? As in have they worn out or are they still manageable?

Another thing was, would you recommend a tyre change from the OEM that one usually receives (I saw Apollo Acelere on a new October 2010 make)?
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:55   #48
BANNED

Thanks a ton for your responses Kris905.

You have mentioned about the performance being significantly better with the new tyres, pardon me but, I guess switching to new tyres would enhance the ride and handling but not too sure if the performance would be enhanced.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Few other queries that I had:

1) Did the AC give you any difficulty in the 40K run?

I have doing my finances with my better half, trying to save on each and every penny to get my Maggy home, shall keep the Maggy owners posted the day it arrives.

Thanks once again for all the help.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:01   #49
BHPian

Exactly. Tyre noise will be reduced, lot of smoothness in ride.

No problems with AC, air throw from the fans are great even at low speeds.

Maggy? is that what you prefer calling it?

Quote:
Thanks a ton for your responses Kris905.

You have mentioned about the performance being significantly better with the new tyres, pardon me but, I guess switching to new tyres would enhance the ride and handling but not too sure if the performance would be enhanced.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Few other queries that I had:

1) Did the AC give you any difficulty in the 40K run?

I have doing my finances with my better half, trying to save on each and every penny to get my Maggy home, shall keep the Maggy owners posted the day it arrives.

Thanks once again for all the help.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:06   #50
BANNED

A few T-BHPians have been using it, never got to the bottom of the pit as to why, but I assume Magnum translates to Maggy.

Happy Motoring !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
Exactly. Tyre noise will be reduced, lot of smoothness in ride.

No problems with AC, air throw from the fans are great even at low speeds.

Maggy? is that what you prefer calling it?

Last edited by Torquedo : 3rd March 2011 at 10:07. Reason: Grammatical Error - added 'to'
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
A few T-BHPians have been using it, never got to the bottom of the pit as to why, but I assume Magnum translates to Maggy.

Happy Motoring !!

Great! Good luck with the purchase and looking forward to your review!
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:23   #52
BHPian

A friend of mine was keen on buying the Magnum, so went for a test drive yesterday. It is a real fun car to drive. The test drive vehicle had 8K kms on the odo fairly new. The turbo lag takes time to get used to but can make do by accelerating from a lower gear. I found the brakes a tad too much sensitive. But i am used to a heavy foot on my ikon (which literally have no brakes). Its a nice car to putter along in 3rd gear at 20kmph in city traffic. Took some curves at a fairly higher speed was impressed with the stearing feel. the rear was little unsettled. I guess this can be over come by tyres with stiffer side wall ..I hope my friend goes for this.. Its an absolute gem.
Old 5th March 2011, 21:49   #53
BANNED

Hey Shaz -

Even I'm planning for an Optra, I had a word with my dealer today, he said that probably the Optra has been detuned to 110 BHP in order to meet the BS4 norms.

Can you confirm this at your dealership?

Thanks

Happy Motoring !!
Old 6th March 2011, 00:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
No plans of upgrading the headlamps yet. Largely travel on well lit roads so it's not an issue. Also weary of touching the wiring.

The ride's good even with the tyre upsize. FE I am getting is about 14.6 now. Hopefully it should improve.

Picked-up the blazing red, what color is yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
Thats great news. tampering the wiring was my major worry. im sure you would have felt the difference in the highway.

So you recommend it, dont you?
Im done with my first service (at 1300).
If you are worried about tampering of wire, please try Osram night breakers. These are 55W [stock] rated bulbs with 100W output. I have had it in my swift and the result is simply brilliant. Since the wattage is of stock bulb, it doesnt need any extra wire tampering as well. The downside is that this costs 1300 a pair.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:33   #55
BHPian

[quote=kris905;2264408]Tyres are worn out , i have to change all in another 2K. Thats understandable as the diesel engine is heavy.
I am still running stock tyres, there has been some tyre noise all the time but i haven't had any issues with cornering or braking so far.

Hi Kris, Were your stock tyres Apollo Accelere? If so could you give me your opinion as you have almost consumed its life cycle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks