Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2008, 14:39   #1
BHPian

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update

Got our Indigo XL Classic Dicor in last week of May 08. The car it replaced in our stable was Indigo GLS (Petrol) 2005 model. We were initially looking for Indigo LX Dicor or Marina LX Dicor, but when we saw XL and experienced the comfort and features upon taking a test drive we knew this is the car we are taking home with us!

The XL classic has got tremendous rear leg room. Tata officially claims it to be more that Skoda Superb and Merc S class (normal wheelbase version)! That is one of the main features we were hooked to. Secondly, it has got a rear AC with two vents and separate controls for it at rear. The cooling coil is separate for this rear unit and it shares the compressor with the front unit. The rear space and AC features are best suited to us since we drive a lot on highways and rear seat comfort is top priority for my parents.

As for the other goodies it has got – Power windows, Electric ORVMs, Electric antenna, Rear defogger, Front and rear fog lamps, Six way adjust front seats, Remote locking with immobiliser and auto locking of doors after 5 seconds of engine start, Utility trays behind front seats, Delayed turning off cabin light, Duel beam headlamps, Side indicators on ORVMs, Wooden finish on dash, door inserts and steering along with beige interiors and A CHILLER IN GLOVE BOX!

We have added the Auto Window Closure module (Automatically rolls up any open windows upon locking the car from outside with remote) and Rear parking sensors with display on rear view mirror. ICE is Pioneer 3090UB with 6 JBL speakers and steering mounted remote. Replaced OE 175 tyres and rims with Michelin Pilot Preceda II 185 on Neo Ice black machined 14”. A 12 Ltr car fridge was transferred from my outgoing car to this one.

The entire car package did cost us approx. 7.5 lacs! I think it’s sheer value for money. The rear seat comfort it awesome. You wont feel like driving a diesel once you are post second gear. I can vouch for this after driving petrol Indigo for two years and other petrols like Indica, Wagon R and 800 5 Sp for many years. In fact this is the first diesel we have got!
The road grip and stability is very good thanks to longer wheelbase and upsizing of tyres. Just got it back after first service post 1000 kms, so haven’t driven past 90 kmph till now. (Did Pune Lonavla last Sunday not crossing this speed limit! )

Two things on which I would like to have opinions of you people. First – should I install webasto sunroof? Second – Should I get a K&N stock replacement filter? I am keen on both the things but don’t have any experience/ don’t know the cons if any. Your help will come in handy.

Expect updates for on road performance and FE etc. very soon as now its past it’s first service and running in phase.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00100.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00016.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00008.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00007.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00006.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00005.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00003.jpg  

Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00002.jpg  

Bouncer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2008, 15:46   #2
BHPian

Super buy Bouncer. Congrats on the first XL on the forum. The car look great too and you have first class backseat comfort and you even have your own bar cheers:.

Have seen the Taj resorts buy quite a number of these.
Looking forward eagerly to the info on the handling,FE etc etc. Will be keeping a very close eye.
Old 29th June 2008, 15:56   #3
BHPian

Congratulations! You got yourself one heck of a rear bench cruiser; unparalleled rear bench space this side of the Skoda Superb. I like how you have dressed the car up, good taste in alloys, sun film shade and number plate design. Do you intend to employ a chauffeur for this car? It absolutely needs it. Good decision also in switching over to a diesel...Tata is unbeatable for value here.

I look forward to your long term updates. Drive safe.
GTO - Touring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2008, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff,
A very good buy. The car looks very good. The interior looks quite good, just wished the quality of plastics was much better than offered by TATA.

Can you give more information about the pulling power with additional weight of XL, also is the boot same as indigo or has it been increased, sunroof is a good option you may wanna consider it. Your alloys look very good i liked it. What did it cost you along with tyres?

As you have driven indigo, can you compare the turning radius as well as effort you have to put in driving XL compared to indigo petrol?

How is the suspension as well as handling of the car. I know you haven't traveled above 90kph, but how do you feel below that speed.

I know i asked many questions but please answer them if you can as i am also considering buying one. Thanks
Old 29th June 2008, 16:17   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your XL, bouncer. I've travelled in an Indigo quite a few times, around two years back. The back seat is obviously *very* comfortable, as are the front too actually. Quite unlike my car (Palio) where the back seat is roomy but the seat length is short enough to leave a tall fellow somewhat uncomfortable (>5'10").

I also noted the interior features of the XL Classic in the TATA showroom. The interiors are definitely a notch above the usual Tata provide for their range of cars. The Teletubbies style display cluster is there too.

Cheers
Anand

Last edited by arajand : 29th June 2008 at 16:26. Reason: grammatical. 'An' in place of 'a'
Old 29th June 2008, 18:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Congratulations! You got yourself one heck of a rear bench cruiser; unparalleled rear bench space this side of the Skoda Superb. I like how you have dressed the car up, good taste in alloys, sun film shade and number plate design. Do you intend to employ a chauffeur for this car? It absolutely needs it. Good decision also in switching over to a diesel...Tata is unbeatable for value here.

I look forward to your long term updates. Drive safe.
Thanks for your words. For the time being driver is not allowed to touch it and I'm the chauffeur for my Papa . Actually my father and myself prefer to drive ourselves. Driver is for other family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Awesome stuff,
A very good buy. The car looks very good. The interior looks quite good, just wished the quality of plastics was much better than offered by TATA.

Can you give more information about the pulling power with additional weight of XL, also is the boot same as indigo or has it been increased, sunroof is a good option you may wanna consider it. Your alloys look very good i liked it. What did it cost you along with tyres?

As you have driven indigo, can you compare the turning radius as well as effort you have to put in driving XL compared to indigo petrol?

How is the suspension as well as handling of the car. I know you haven't traveled above 90kph, but how do you feel below that speed.

I know i asked many questions but please answer them if you can as i am also considering buying one. Thanks
Alloys and tyres costed approx 29K. Turning radious is 5.5 meters, wider than normal Indigo. Handling not a problem as everything is powered, only you have to consider length on tight turns. Suspension and ride is very good. Increased wheelbase actually helps the ride and stability.
Old 29th June 2008, 18:48   #7
BHPian

Excellent car, saw this on the road 2 days back when coming home from office. The instrument glow in the night from the was awesome. All the best.
Old 29th June 2008, 19:20   #8
BHPian

That's a very good car you got there, very good value for money. There is a black Indigo XL Dicor that stands outside my office buliding in Kolkata, and I can't stop stearing at the car every time it's parked there. The leg room at the back is simple fantastic. Enjoy the ride and please keep everyone here posted on the long term ownership report.
Old 29th June 2008, 19:32   #9
BHPian

hi bouncer, congrats for the new ride. colour looks good. Liked the steering wheel , looks good. 6 jbl speakers?? where have you installed them??. good selection of tyres and wheels. you could have upgraded to 15" rims. how is the road grip, fuel efficiency and handling???.
Old 29th June 2008, 19:39   #10
BANNED

Congrats bouncer,

You have come so close to luxury. looks so damn roomy inside.

This is surely a 5 star luxury cruiser for a family of 4 and with loads of luggage to store at the back and to top it, a DICOR engine.

A true VFM from TATA

Waiting to know how the engine performs on road and its FE.

Enjoy your ride Bouncer.
Old 29th June 2008, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

yup, it looks fabulous.the headlights especially. plan to put them one day on my indica if i can.

The only fly in the ointment is that they have used exactly the same dashboard and door plastic trim they have used on the cheaper indicas, with the fake wood and al rings. They could have tried to improve and at least try to design a better center console (which i could then buy and put in my indica )
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2008, 21:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Excellent car, saw this on the road 2 days back when coming home from office. The instrument glow in the night from the was awesome. All the best.
Here is the glow you are talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-dsc00007-1.jpg  

Old 29th June 2008, 22:18   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase. The glow on the instrument panel looks very good. Do update us on the FE, NVH level and the service expereince after first service.

It would be insteresting to know what made you to go for this car, since you already had a Indigo?
Old 29th June 2008, 22:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Bouncer

The first XL on the forum. The car is unbeatable value for money and you got so much bang for the buck. The car looks lovely and the alloy design is great. Infact its the first XL I'm seeing shod with alloys. Nice roomy interiors with leg room at its best, the best virtue of the Indigo/Indica family.

You can go in for a Webasto sunroof. They have a good choice and come with a waranty. Keep updating this thread regularly and happy motoring to you and your family.
Old 29th June 2008, 23:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase buddy. I love the rear seat comfort which I experienced when I was buying my Safari. Plus I loved the electronic driver adjustable seat.

Like everybody else I too am eagerly awaiting the FE figures for the car.

Most Viewed