Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 10:56   #31
Team-BHP Support

This is no big deal, that engine can return some amazing FE figures, provided you are gentle with it. First long trip down south after i bought the car, and that too speeds of 100-120 kms (but with gentle foot) IIRC i got close to 23 kmpl.

Even now with drive as you please mode, i get 19-21 kmpl, all this with AC. So if needed i can see 25-26 kmpl or more.

@saurabhb2000: during runin people are gentel, then the drive as you please start, so that can be the reason why FE suffers
Old 31st August 2008, 11:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is no big deal, that engine can return some amazing FE figures, provided you are gentle with it. First long trip down south after i bought the car, and that too speeds of 100-120 kms (but with gentle foot) IIRC i got close to 23 kmpl.

Even now with drive as you please mode, i get 19-21 kmpl, all this with AC. So if needed i can see 25-26 kmpl or more.

@saurabhb2000: during runin people are gentel, then the drive as you please start, so that can be the reason why FE suffers
Exactly...Jaggu. What I am trying to highlight that if you follow basic rules, be light footed, and do proper run-in, you can stretch the litre further. It depends upon your behaviour, even I get in the range of 18 t0 26.

I did a methodic run-in on this car. If I look at my log book now, its clear that speed makes a huge different. At 80-90kmph you get 26+ but at 120kmph it drops down to almost 17-18. Did we not know this speed effect?? Yes, we did. But I am monitoring it and trying to share. Some people do not understand.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:16   #33
BHPian

My Swift petrol returned about 21kmpl on the highway a few days back.Im serious.my speed range was 100-140 with gently pressing the throttle.In the city it returns only 13kmpl.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
The Max he Got in Highway was 22.5 km/Lt's (80-MPH).
Jazzy,
If your friend getting 22.5kmpl, do you really think achieving 3 more Kms is a big deal considering the change in his claim was hardly 15% more to your friend's? Cant it be that Abhay would be having a better driving style than your friend?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 31st August 2008 at 11:20.
Old 31st August 2008, 14:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
My Swift petrol returned about 21kmpl on the highway a few days back.Im serious.my speed range was 100-140 with gently pressing the throttle.In the city it returns only 13kmpl.
Yes, "gentle throttle" appears to be more important than normally perceived for excellent highway FE. But your city FE of 13kmpl seems to be pretty low. May be use a COCO pump, run for at least 200kms and recheck (tank full to tank full) and reconfirm??? You may be making some mistake somewhere, or may be a wrong petrol pump???
Old 31st August 2008, 18:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
I vaguely remember having read about the 100ml bottle test to test mileage on bikes, long time back.
As said by Jangan about the 100 ml test,there is also a same kind of stuff which is done for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay.Neelwarne;
Can you please tell me how to calculate FE??? I would be enlightened with your inputs.
Thanks.
Ok Here is The Alternative Way ,what You Can Do.(Old Way )

Take 2 Empty Bottles of Bisleri,2 lts each.
Get them Both filled with the fuel,keep them in your car,run as many Kms your can until the car stops and ll not start ( No Fuel)
Use One of the bottles ,Your car ll now have only 2 lts of Fuel.......Reset the Odo to O carry on your drive,wait till the car stops again......
Check the Odo how many kms it has done by this time ,You ll get your Correct FE.Use the other bottle to go to some Pump and then do a tankful.
Old 31st August 2008, 19:21   #37

Quote:
As said by Jangan about the 100 ml test,there is also a same kind of stuff which is done for cars.

Ok Here is The Alternative Way ,what You Can Do.(Old Way )

Take 2 Empty Bottles of Bisleri,2 lts each.
Get them Both filled with the fuel,keep them in your car,run as many Kms your can until the car stops and ll not start ( No Fuel)
Use One of the bottles ,Your car ll now have only 2 lts of Fuel.......Reset the Odo to O carry on your drive,wait till the car stops again......
Check the Odo how many kms it has done by this time ,You ll get your Correct FE.Use the other bottle to go to some Pump and then do a tankful.
Case 1 : Tank full to tank full (making sure that there is no air pocket and fuel is filled to brim) + Run for 880 kms.

Case 2 : 1 lit bottle test.

What do you get from these two tests?? Case 1 gives you FE in real life driving over 880 kms including stops, overtaking, bad roads, gear shifts,.... what have you in including the change in termperature of fuel.....

On the other hand case 2 is just about 1 lit fuel which is completely inadequate to cover the "range of real life road variables" that is necessary to calculate average real life FE. In one lit you would be runnig max 30 kms. One lit test and its variations are usually adopted by car companies to give you "ideal condition" test FE. It usually amounts to final drive steady run for 1 lit fuel consumption, and thats always misleading as we all know. It may show what best FE is possible but is not the real life FE. Case 1 is more realistic. Only small error possible in case 1 is possibility of "small" air pocket, if at all. And even if it is there, it would be very small and its effect gets further reduced when you spread error over 33 lit (850 kms or so run of car) and hence what you get is far more accurate and real life FE than 1 lit bottle test. 1 lit bottle test may sound like great idea but it doesn't serve the purpose and is far more inaccurate than when you do tank full to tank full over 30+ lit of fuel consumption.

I vote for tank full to tank full with 800+ kms of run.
Old 31st August 2008, 20:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Abhay, your method of tankful to tankful is the best as it gives the real FE. And tell you I am not surprised by your FE in Dzire. For others who doubt your FE calculating ability, I can only remember one line in Hindi, "Nach na jane aangan tera"

I would not advice this practice like 2 lit bottle simply because you should never drive a car with less than 5 lit fuel. it affects the ECU, fuel pump etc. And that method doesnt give the correct figure as well (real FE test is like 25-30 lit of refuel after a decent run on all conditions).

Abhi
Old 31st August 2008, 23:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
"Nach na jane aangan tera"
Good One my friend,Its was just an Alternative Way .
Wel I dont have a maurit dizier to Desire of Such FE .

I am Happy with My Multi Jet in which I get 22 km/ltrs at a speed of above 150 + kms have a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/40757-finally-got-black-beast-home-palio1-3-mjd-12.html

@ akroy
By the way do you know Riju ?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st September 2008 at 03:19. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 1st September 2008, 00:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay.Neelwarne View Post
Case 1 : Tank full to tank full (making sure that there is no air pocket and fuel is filled to brim) + Run for 880 kms.

Case 2 : 1 lit bottle test.

What do you get from these two tests?? Case 1 gives you FE in real life driving over 880 kms including stops, overtaking, bad roads, gear shifts,.... what have you in including the change in termperature of fuel.....

On the other hand case 2 is just about 1 lit fuel which is completely inadequate to cover the "range of real life road variables" that is necessary to calculate average real life FE. In one lit you would be runnig max 30 kms. One lit test and its variations are usually adopted by car companies to give you "ideal condition" test FE. It usually amounts to final drive steady run for 1 lit fuel consumption, and thats always misleading as we all know. It may show what best FE is possible but is not the real life FE. Case 1 is more realistic. Only small error possible in case 1 is possibility of "small" air pocket, if at all. And even if it is there, it would be very small and its effect gets further reduced when you spread error over 33 lit (850 kms or so run of car) and hence what you get is far more accurate and real life FE than 1 lit bottle test. 1 lit bottle test may sound like great idea but it doesn't serve the purpose and is far more inaccurate than when you do tank full to tank full over 30+ lit of fuel consumption.

I vote for tank full to tank full with 800+ kms of run.
I agree as I have experienced that myself.
Well not on a car but on my bike (splendor which i used some 6 years back when i was still in school)

I used to get a mileage of 50-55 in most cases and was really pissed off with hero honda making tall claims of 77 kmpl.

I wanted to test that and guess what happened at the service station.
The service guy took the "100ml bottle" and then we went to the highway driving sedately at 40-50 kmph and guess what the 100ml ran for 8.5 kms.
I guess the carb cant have more than 10 ml in it so i compensated for that and the final average i got was 75+ as they had claimed.

Lesson learnt : steady pace improves mileage to an extent of even 50%.

By that calculation 18kmpl in city - 27 kmpl on highway.

so i wont be shocked if it can give 26 kmpl if you drive the way you say you do.
Old 1st September 2008, 01:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
By that calculation 18kmpl in city - 27 kmpl on highway.

so i wont be shocked if it can give 26 kmpl if you drive the way you say you do.
You are bang on...

Dzire\SwiftD typically gives 22 kmpl on highway. I am just saying that with good manners you could stretch to 26 and may be even little more?? Point is it requires effort for every km after 22. Nothing else.

Note from Support: Avoid quoting large posts in their entirety. Quote only what you're referring to.
Old 1st September 2008, 08:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ akroy
By the way do you know Riju ?
You mean rjstyles69? ya i know him.

What is the connection here

Abhi
Old 1st September 2008, 08:46   #43
BANNED

Ok Guys cool it off , I think Abhay has a point, his way of calculating FE is what most would follow for a practical FE value. Yeah, I do think his mileage is a little on the higher side but not totally impossible and he has done this calculation more than once .
Old 1st September 2008, 09:50   #44
BHPian

With respect to all that has been discussed above i would like to say the following:

a) Calculating FE tank full to tank full is realistic.
b) Going easy on the accelerator can easily increase the mileage by 3 -4 kmpl.
Spirited driving with high rev gear changes compared to smooth driving with gear changes around RPM 2 - 3K will show the above mentioned difference.
c) Great mileage figures Abhay. Happy to see that the long wait for the Dzire is finally paying off!
Old 1st September 2008, 10:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Swift D (D for Diesel not DZire) has a great ability to give you good mileage. I have got 24 KMPL on one of the Bangalore - Mysore runs. Last fill of Diesel I have got a mileage of 20.5 for almost 70% bangalore city runs with 30-40% AC with 1 or 1+1 people load. I have a lead feet most of the times (May be I like the turbo wooooosh). My Swift D has run over 26K kms. Swift D returns amazing FE with Single person on a highway with sedate driving.

Last edited by DieselFan : 1st September 2008 at 10:25.

Most Viewed