Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Thanks to Team-Bhp For helping me re-claim my life - Safari 3000 kms now

My trusted Palio was turning old after 7 years and 165000 KM and thus I started looking for a new partner who could match steps with me , but that was not going to be easy as i drove a very reliable and strong car for a very long time which is yet to fail me. I was waiting for Linea but got tired waiting for it.

I was told about team-Bhp and thus began my search for my car and Lo-Behold ! I narrowed down to a car that was always in front of me but somehow i never took notice for it to be mine Tata Safari 2.2 VTT.

I read all about bad customer service and bad finishing quality and so on and on.... But then i gave it a test ride and was pleasently surprised on the ride comfort and let me be honest the ride to my office which takes around 1H 30M is now a pleasure.

I would not write about any thing technical as there are lots of Guru's around and i dont think i measure up to them. All i can say is that this surly is a damn good car, however you all have been correct about the pathetic senario at the dealerships as that was maybe the worst experience of my lifetime. But then i am ok as ultimatly all i wanted was a good car and i got it and i know how to get it serviced.

However there are a few things i want advise on from Guru's here :

1. The headlight does'nt throw good light, if you can suggest what bulbs should i use without changing the wiring.
2. What would be the cost of Leather Seat covers.
3. What music system should i go for My budget would be around 15 K.
4. what is most optimum speeds for gear shift as i have been driving it more like a petrol car 1 Gear only to move it , 2nd Gear from 0-20, 3rd Gear 20-40, 4 Gear from 40-60 and post that 5th gear. Am i correct.

Please advise.

Last but not least Thanks to you all for helping me choose my Tata Safari 2.2 VTT
Old 27th August 2008, 22:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. Do update on few things like when is the delivery, wat colour, watz the OTR you hvae paid.

For your other questions, I leave it to the guys who own the "The Beast" as they will be in a good position to give you some neat suggestions keeping the car in mind.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands-on View Post

1. The headlight does'nt throw good light, if you can suggest what bulbs should i use without changing the wiring.
4. what is most optimum speeds for gear shift as i have been driving it more like a petrol car 1 Gear only to move it , 2nd Gear from 0-20, 3rd Gear 20-40, 4 Gear from 40-60 and post that 5th gear. Am i correct.
1. 100/90 W halogens - for more details take a peek at our Lighting Queries thread

2. Upholestry is a better option than seat covers. Leather upholestry should cost upwards of 14k depending on brand and quality

4. Stick to the receommendations in the owners manual. While they might seem implausible, they work best.

And congrats on the purchase.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pal. And welcome to TBHP.

1) Get 90/100W bulb along with the relay/wiring kit: 800Rs
2)25k and up
3)Visit ICE section
4) Shift to higher gears at 2000. Refer manual for correct speed in each gear.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:59   #5
BHPian

Hi, congrats on your purchase!

Please do contribute to the thread below :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...re-please.html

It's only lighting that i would want to comment on. Suggest that you try the Osram Silverstar +50 headlamps. Effective, and no issues with traffic too.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Congrats on your new buy. Do update on few things like when is the delivery, wat colour, watz the OTR you hvae paid.

For your other questions, I leave it to the guys who own the "The Beast" as they will be in a good position to give you some neat suggestions keeping the car in mind.
I took the delivery on 14Th aug its Arc Silver Lx as i could not justify the cost for Ex , i think upgrades are mostly superficial.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However there are a few things i want advise on from Guru's here :
Guruji is out of office with behnji, so I will try and step into his humungous shoes:

Buy relay, fit 90/100 bulbs but do this at night and insist on trying out the bulbs on your car before buying them. You dont want the type that lights up the surrounding countryside and leave YOU in the dark. I had a pair of those from Osram, till I found relative nirvana in a pair of (surprise, surprise) Mico 90/100 lamps.

The cost would be a really hot backside [EDIT: ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU HAVE AN LX. GET THE ROOF-MOUNTED A/C, ITS WORTH THE COST] - not a good idea, given your gender. Stick to fabric.

You're in the wrong section, and I suspect with the wrong budget. Dont go there if you love your money, though.

The ideal speed to shift is when you run out of power and torque in that gear. Rip it!

Quote:
Last but not least Thanks to you all for helping me choose my Tata Safari 2.2 VTT
We didnt, but its a pleasure to hear that all the same!

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th August 2008 at 23:40.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

Optimum upshift speeds are given in the user manual. They work best
Change from 1-2 at 20, 2-3 at 40 3-4 at 60 and 4-5 at 80

Fitting relay can void your warranty, if you don't want risk, you can use Osram silverstar +50%, I am using them and they are decent(though not exceptional)
Old 28th August 2008, 00:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fitting relay can void your warranty
I must be on a different warranty, then. No issues for me so far.

Or for Goddy whos running 130/100s, or for half a dozen others we know are running 90/100s.
Old 28th August 2008, 00:44   #10
BHPian

plz stick to the manufacturers manual for gear changing
Old 28th August 2008, 01:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hands On , Good quality leather upholstry will be a minimum of Rs 35 K . You can try Stanley.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hands-on, congrats on the buy.

Do post some photos of your ride. few photos here and atleast one at the Safari owners section.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, your questions are already answered but you can also try Osram Nightbreaker 90%+, they emit 90% more light than the normal Halogen and 40% more than the silverstar.

OEM rating, no relay, no wiring change.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I must be on a different warranty, then. No issues for me so far.

Or for Goddy whos running 130/100s, or for half a dozen others we know are running 90/100s.
Did a TASC fit your relay?
Even my indica had a relay from Concorde, and there were never any warranty issues.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new vehicle, BULL, Beast and etc.
So, are you joining the "tall boy"s meet?
1:30M to office? Umm you do need this spacious beast. Congrats again. Happy driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks