Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 11:45   #1
BHPian

My Optra Magnum LT

I had been considering buying Optra Magnum for a while. I had read nearly all the posts on Team-BHP about Magnum. Finally I took a test drive of Magnum on 24 July. I drove it around Greater Noida including a portion of expressway. I came back very impressed with the power and handling of this car. I must admit I am not the sort of guy who looks for sheer performance in a car but I was overwhelmed. It just takes off like a rocket when you press the accelerator.

I did not find the car lacking in anyway while driving in low rpm/gear. The test car had only 6000 km on the odometer. I could drive the car comfortably at 100 kmph in 3rd gear and then bring it down to 20 kmph without lowering the gear. There was no cabin noise even at high speeds and you could not tell whether it was a diesel or a petrol engine. Ride was very smooth and comfortable. Braking was efficient and so was the AC. I found the cabin to be spacious and seats comfortable. The position of controls (turn indicators and wipers) on the steering is little akward and takes time to adjust to.

I was also tempted to consider Civic as an alternative to buying Magnum. However, I had noticed not so nice feedback about Honda's after sales service, costlier spare parts/service, and soft suspension (low ground clearance). Also, Civic is much costlier (Civic V AT versus Magnum LT) and being petrol will be costlier to run. Of course, it is a very good car in its own with a higher snob value, is better looking and excellent resale value.

The owners of Magnum on Team BHP reassured me about my decision to buy Magnum. On 28 July, I gave the cheque for booking of Magnum LT through CSD canteen. I opted for Cashmere colour (my son's choice). The car was to be delivered by Padam Motors of Ludhiana.

Then started the long wait for delivery of car. Mr Ravi (GM, Padam Motors, Ludhiana) and Mr Sandeep (Sales executive) gave me incorrect feedback that car had been despatched from Halol on 11 August and will be with them in next 4-5 days. Then they said that due to heavy rains, there will some delay in car reaching tehm. The next week, they came up with the excuse that the trailer bringing the car had broken down at Jaipur and there will be further delay. By now, I had my doubts about various excuses being given by Padam Motors. On 23 August, I contacted Dr JS Madhok (VP of Padam Motors) who confirmed that car had not even been indented by them with Halol. I blew my fuse and told them to cancel the booking. I also complained to GM customer support.

Dr Madhok promised to send me a substitute car till the Magnum was delivered to me. A brand new Spark was deliverd to my residence in Greater Noida on 27 August. Yesterday (03 September), Padam Motors informed me that car has reached them and can be collected anytime. I intend collecting the car tomorrow. I have already taken a printout of check list while delivery of new car. Thanks BHP for great tips.

The pictures and my experiences with the car will follow.
Old 4th September 2008, 13:23   #2
BHPian

Congratulations vchoun, i guess the wait is finally over. . You'll surely relish it.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchounal View Post
The position of controls (turn indicators and wipers) on the steering is little akward and takes time to adjust to.
Yes, its just matter of time and you will be used to it in a day or 2.

Quote:
Dr Madhok promised to send me a substitute car till the Magnum was delivered to me. A brand new Spark was deliverd to my residence in Greater Noida on 27 August.
Good to see the response. Seems we need to escalate to have things done in GM Time to change GM.

Quote:
The pictures and my experiences with the car will follow.
Waiting for the pictures.

Btw, I always liked the Red or Black Magnum. Just my personnel choice.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Sorry to hear what has happened for the during the delivery of the car.

Quote:
Then started the long wait for delivery of car. Mr Ravi (GM, Padam Motors, Ludhiana) and Mr Sandeep (Sales executive) gave me incorrect feedback that car had been despatched from Halol on 11 August and will be with them in next 4-5 days. Then they said that due to heavy rains, there will some delay in car reaching tehm. The next week, they came up with the excuse that the trailer bringing the car had broken down at Jaipur and there will be further delay. By now, I had my doubts about various excuses being given by Padam Motors. On 23 August, I contacted Dr JS Madhok (VP of Padam Motors) who confirmed that car had not even been indented by them with Halol. I blew my fuse and told them to cancel the booking. I also complained to GM customer support.
Unable to understand why all the dealers will always goof up during the deliveries of the vehicles.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:42   #5
BHPian

Congratulations! We will eagerly look forward to your ownership reviews!
Old 4th September 2008, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy. Unfortunate that there are still a majority of dealers who are still a bunch of clowns! But atleast the VP gave you the fact and a corrective temporary relief. (I just hope he has taken care of those other clowns!)

Waiting for the pics! :-)
Old 4th September 2008, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats VC & good to see GM responding to your complaint quickly. Now do remember to carry the pre-delivery check list & do post some pictures when you take delivery of the car! Have fun!
Old 4th September 2008, 17:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Brand new Spark !!!

Rest assured, they will sell it off as new to some unsuspecting soul. Anyways, congrats on your purchase
Old 4th September 2008, 18:47   #9
BHPian

congratulations on your buy, enjoy the ride....Magnum is addictive
Old 4th September 2008, 22:10   #10
BHPian

yes it really is once you are used to a magnum especially on the highway you wont feel like driving any other car
Old 4th September 2008, 23:51   #11
BHPian

The new chevy spark as an interim car, I'm not surprised...

When I had ordered my Optra LT a few years back, GM sent me an LT with a driver for quite some time...In fact that was even before I placed my order...A week after using it, I decided I wanted one...

Don't know how GM is doing now as I don't own any of their cars anymore, but I never had any complaints with them when I used to. [Have had the Corsa, Astra, Vectra and the Optra. Spares and service were expensive for the Opels, but they were great cars!]
Old 7th September 2008, 10:44   #12
BHPian

Here are some pictures of my Magnum LT.
Attached Thumbnails
My Optra Magnum LT-dsc01070.jpg  

My Optra Magnum LT-dsc01071.jpg  

My Optra Magnum LT-dsc01087.jpg  

My Optra Magnum LT-dsc01074.jpg  

My Optra Magnum LT-dsc01076.jpg  

Old 7th September 2008, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Congrats vc.Which brand is the music system in your car.My magnum is having Alpine system.Yours cars music system seems to be different.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sir. Which HU is that?? Mine came with an Alpine..
Old 8th September 2008, 13:55   #15
BHPian

Yup the double din is branded Chevrolet. When I got mine they were installing an Alpine Double Din in the LT version and a Kenwood Single Din in LS.

Congrats on the new car. Welcome to the club and you sure will enjoy your ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks