Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 00:59   #31
BHPian

300 km on the Linea - Update

hi

Crossed 300km on the Linea, and I love the car, it is smooth.

FE on the Odo is 13.5 kmpl (70% city 30% highway), will get more accurate tankfull-tankfull results pretty soon.

GC is an issue though, I wish I could have upgraded to 16-17 inch alloys, but the dealer did not have them, the car scraped a bump with four adults sitting in it.

Some interesting conversations:

Went out for a drive with a friend, btw, he just bought the ANHC S-MT and after seeing the features and alloys and driving my car he is totally on his purchase.

Another friend of mine drives the corolla, did not know Linea's pricing, asked me if I spent 20 lacs on the car ? looking at the blue & me and rear vents etc.
Old 15th April 2009, 06:11   #32
BHPian

-Xplora- excitement is quiet understandable. His contribution to the forum is also valuable. It looks as if we are goingthrough all that he explains in a very swiftlyflowing words. And that piece of "interesting conversation" i am sure is going to rush adernaline somewhere. good writing hope to hear more from you.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:42   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
hi

Some interesting conversations:

Went out for a drive with a friend, btw, he just bought the ANHC S-MT and after seeing the features and alloys and driving my car he is totally on his purchase.

Another friend of mine drives the corolla, did not know Linea's pricing, asked me if I spent 20 lacs on the car ? looking at the blue & me and rear vents etc.
Nice to hear the response she is getting!
Old 18th April 2009, 00:10   #34
BHPian

Linea ICE - Blaupunkt Upgrade

hi

I had earlier posted for planning to do some research on the stock ICE of Linea, but forgot the thread, oh well. So I thought will put it here:

The stock ICE is a Blaupunkt model : Fiat D323 MP3

Which in plain English means nothing ! Since there is no equivalent part number on Blaupunkt site or with the dealer. The manual is one page as you emotion owners know, and is not in English.

I researched and found out that the system can be upgraded, in a specific way. It turns out that the Stock ICE is tightly integrated with various systems on linea including the Blue n Me and are on shared ECUs. The good news is that it supports an ISO standard adapter cables (Blaupunkt charges Rs. 4,500 for their cable ) which can be connected to a Blaupunkt Amplifier ( GTA / THA / Velocity series ) that should allow to drive rear speakers or back and rear and / or SW. According to someone I talked to at Blaupunkt, you can combine driving using the built-in amp of the stock ICE as well as a two channel or a mono amp for SW if that is sufficient for you.

Total damage should be around 12-30K depending on the type of Blaupunkt Amp you select, currently there is a scheme at Blaupunkt for cable being free with the Amps.

Hope this helps, I am going to go and meet them tomorrow and see how it works out.

Cheers.!
Old 18th April 2009, 12:50   #35
BHPian

Congrats !!

Welcome aboard !
enjoy your Linea ... my neighbor in the opposite gate (havent met him yet) owns a Black Linea, so looking down from my window i see 2 linea grills, my red one (mine) and a black one.
They look GRRRReat ! ... from my room. :-)

Anyone know of the High Security Number Plates ... I cant wait to change these "CON"cord branded number plates, i've seen those HS ones on higher end Audi's .... I'd like to get em, once i understand how those work.
I think, i'm going to get the glasses marked with the regestration number as well for a little extra security.
Rear sensors too ..judging the depth of that massave 500Lts takes a bit of getting used to in tight parrellels.

Cheers, and Happy Motoring

Maz
Old 18th April 2009, 13:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
hi

I had earlier posted for planning to do some research on the stock ICE of Linea, but forgot the thread, oh well. So I thought will put it here:

The stock ICE is a Blaupunkt model : Fiat D323 MP3

Which in plain English means nothing ! Since there is no equivalent part number on Blaupunkt site or with the dealer. The manual is one page as you emotion owners know, and is not in English.

I researched and found out that the system can be upgraded, in a specific way. It turns out that the Stock ICE is tightly integrated with various systems on linea including the Blue n Me and are on shared ECUs. The good news is that it supports an ISO standard adapter cables (Blaupunkt charges Rs. 4,500 for their cable ) which can be connected to a Blaupunkt Amplifier ( GTA / THA / Velocity series ) that should allow to drive rear speakers or back and rear and / or SW. According to someone I talked to at Blaupunkt, you can combine driving using the built-in amp of the stock ICE as well as a two channel or a mono amp for SW if that is sufficient for you.

Total damage should be around 12-30K depending on the type of Blaupunkt Amp you select, currently there is a scheme at Blaupunkt for cable being free with the Amps.

Hope this helps, I am going to go and meet them tomorrow and see how it works out.

Cheers.!

I dont know why are you going in this manner. You will be paying a lot more than what can be actually done in almost half the price.
I am going to do these changes with my music system in Linea (MJD Emotion pack).
1) Will be pulling cable (one or two) from the battery to the boot which will supply power to the amplifiers. One woofer is 6200 and the other one is with some 400 watts, both pioneer. My friend is changing his music system hence I am buying the 6200 amp from him which has a line in feature which will be the source of input for the amplifier. This is a very important feature as there is no RCA / Pre out from the HU. There is this rear out going from the HU till the rear doors which plays the rear speakers. So from that wire I will attach a wire that will run till the boot (read rear seats back side) which will be holding amplifier/s. The other amplifier is a very old 4 channel amp that I 1st used in my Indica and than in accent. Though it is old it it good enough to play a woofer. It will be connected to the 1st amp's pre out.
2) Will place 2 subwoofers in the boot in two seperate boxes. Single box for both the woofers will sound better but i have thought for going for 2 seperate boxes for the reason that I will be able to remove one woofer if more boot space is required at any point of time. Both woofers are of 12 inch in size and 1 is of pioneer make which i had bought last year and the other one is from the brand kicker. This kicker woofer i am getting it from my friend who is selling it along with the amp (pioneer 6200).
3) Will Change the front speakers with a six inch component speakers of Earthquake brand. I know earthquake brand is not that great, but I had a limited budget. I paid 3600 for these compos and rest other brands were above 4000-5000.
Now the first amp (6200) will play the woofer as well as the front door compos. The other amp will power the 2nd woofer and the rear door speakes will be powered directly from the HU. There is this thin wire that will run between the HU and the amp. Its called that remote wire which switches the amp on and off along with the HU.
By doing all these changes will not be cutting any wire, hence warranty will stay intact. Confirmed this with Fiat officials I had met while I had been for my 1st serive at Tata service workshop at worli. They had come from Ranjangaon to check how things are going at service end.
2000 approx is the money spent on wiring, woofer boxes and installation charges.
I had a very tight budget and hence went in for such configuration.
Its saturday today and will be going on sunday to do all the installations.
Hope the system sound good.
Old 18th April 2009, 13:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazherr View Post
Welcome aboard !
enjoy your Linea ... my neighbor in the opposite gate (havent met him yet) owns a Black Linea, so looking down from my window i see 2 linea grills, my red one (mine) and a black one.
They look GRRRReat ! ... from my room. :-)

Anyone know of the High Security Number Plates ... I cant wait to change these "CON"cord branded number plates, i've seen those HS ones on higher end Audi's .... I'd like to get em, once i understand how those work.
I think, i'm going to get the glasses marked with the regestration number as well for a little extra security.
Rear sensors too ..judging the depth of that massave 500Lts takes a bit of getting used to in tight parrellels.

Cheers, and Happy Motoring

Maz
Hey Mazherr do let me know from where you do that mark of registration number on the glasses and how much do they cost.
Also let me know the same for the number plates please.
Old 19th April 2009, 21:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I dont know why are you going in this manner. You will be paying a lot more than what can be actually done in almost half the price.
I am going to do these changes with my music system in Linea (MJD Emotion pack).
1) Will be pulling cable (one or two) from the battery to the boot which will supply power to the amplifiers. One woofer is 6200 and the other one is with some 400 watts, both pioneer. My friend is changing his music system hence I am buying the 6200 amp from him which has a line in feature which will be the source of input for the amplifier. This is a very important feature as there is no RCA / Pre out from the HU. There is this rear out going from the HU till the rear doors which plays the rear speakers. So from that wire I will attach a wire that will run till the boot (read rear seats back side) which will be holding amplifier/s. The other amplifier is a very old 4 channel amp that I 1st used in my Indica and than in accent. Though it is old it it good enough to play a woofer. It will be connected to the 1st amp's pre out.
2) Will place 2 subwoofers in the boot in two seperate boxes. Single box for both the woofers will sound better but i have thought for going for 2 seperate boxes for the reason that I will be able to remove one woofer if more boot space is required at any point of time. Both woofers are of 12 inch in size and 1 is of pioneer make which i had bought last year and the other one is from the brand kicker. This kicker woofer i am getting it from my friend who is selling it along with the amp (pioneer 6200).
3) Will Change the front speakers with a six inch component speakers of Earthquake brand. I know earthquake brand is not that great, but I had a limited budget. I paid 3600 for these compos and rest other brands were above 4000-5000.
Now the first amp (6200) will play the woofer as well as the front door compos. The other amp will power the 2nd woofer and the rear door speakes will be powered directly from the HU. There is this thin wire that will run between the HU and the amp. Its called that remote wire which switches the amp on and off along with the HU.
By doing all these changes will not be cutting any wire, hence warranty will stay intact. Confirmed this with Fiat officials I had met while I had been for my 1st serive at Tata service workshop at worli. They had come from Ranjangaon to check how things are going at service end.
2000 approx is the money spent on wiring, woofer boxes and installation charges.
I had a very tight budget and hence went in for such configuration.
Its saturday today and will be going on sunday to do all the installations.
Hope the system sound good.
There are various ways to reach there, one of them being abovementioned by you.

I am not a big fan of line level amps, simply as there are SNR and THD issues and with a pre-out / pre-amp level you can mod the sound if need be with a DSP / Para EQ. There is no need to tinker around with the system since the cable will take care of the pre-out transfer etc. and it gives the flexibility as well. It also takes care of the issues related to warranty since you are using Blaupunkt products with are certified for Fiat Linea including the cables, speakers, subs etc.

I am itching to look at the Kenwood SW with orange illumination should match right with the orange dash illumination, hope it sounds as good ? lol..I will do the speakers upgrade a bit later on, am inclined towards polk audio or better, but no idea how it will match with Blaupunkts, not happy with Blaupunkt speakers as such.

In the end it all depends on the budget and specific likings. Do let us know how the system sounds once it is done.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
there are no mud flaps available with the dealer.
i checked it in auto market in mumbai and one shop had a pair of. i thought to buy it but they looked really cheap. It was some rubbery mud flap and long ones. The kind of used in padmini (fiat taxis in mumbai).
But will have to get one before the monsoon or all the road water and mud will be on the front 2 doors.
I also want to get woofer and amplifi the music sys. But dont know how to go ahead with.
If gurus here can guide.

Heard from one of the Service guy in VSTMotors that Palio Mudflaps especially Sachin series which is bigger than normal palio's could be fitted in Linea.
i'll try it while i am going for the first service.
If it fits well, i'll let you know.
Old 20th April 2009, 00:21   #40
BHPian

congratulations. awaiting pics
Old 27th April 2009, 01:26   #41
BHPian

Another Update - 250 km spin

I did a 250 km drive today, and following are the observations:

The Good:

- Ride and handling is smooth as expected and car is planted all the time, I felt confident taking turns / curves at high speeds

- FE is it for real ? I did a tank full, drove 125km and back with the following stats on the trip computer:

Average speed: 56kmph ( I was driving most of the time at exactly 80kmph). Average FE: 4.5l /100 = 22.22 kmpl ! ( and it dosent look like the trip computer is faking it ). This is unbelievable for me who was driving a petrol 10kmpl car. With this FE I am sure to be using less fuel, be more environmentally friendly and pocket friendly as well, so what if there is a wee-bit reduction on the initial pickup / power area. Infact, when I was checking the Instant FE it was showing rediculous figures like 2.1L/100.

- ACC is fantastic driving in summer afternoon in Gujarat without film, still no issues. It has good sensing of which area of the car requires to be cooled more.

The Bad:

- Vibration and tyre noise. I think in this department Linea has ground to catch up, anytime I hit roads with less tar on it and the noise of the tyres is clearly heard even if the ACC and the ICE is on. I think other cars are better off. Once smooth roads comes, it glides effortlessly without any noise.

Can something be done about it ? ( Gurus ? )

The Strange:

I think, Fiat as taken this "built like a tank" thing far too seriously, in a way it is good, but things like the horn ?

I mean I really have to press the darn surface hard, unlike other korean or japanese cars. Even the fuel lid does not close properly till the time you really "push", same goes with the boot closing, if you don't "thud" it hard enough it won't close !
Old 28th April 2009, 03:05   #42
BHPian

hmm.. no reply on my last post, guess my thread got lost in the Linea thread cluttter
Is there a way to insulate the tyre noise in Linea ?
Old 28th April 2009, 10:11   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Average speed: 56kmph ( I was driving most of the time at exactly 80kmph). Average FE: 4.5l /100 = 22.22 kmpl !
Change the settings to kmpl & you'll not have to calculate it. But yeah, 22 kmpl is too good. My Petrol Linea gives me 10 kmph (as per trip meter) with 100% AC on & in 100% in bumper-to-bumper Mumbai traffic. Have yet not taken her on long drive. I guess it should give somewhere around 13 kmpl on highways.

Quote:
- ACC is fantastic driving in summer afternoon in Gujarat without film, still no issues. It has good sensing of which area of the car requires to be cooled more.
ACC is truely fantastic. But then ACC is always expected to be fantastic compared to manual AC.

Quote:
The Bad:

- Vibration and tyre noise. I think in this department Linea has ground to catch up, anytime I hit roads with less tar on it and the noise of the tyres is clearly heard even if the ACC and the ICE is on. I think other cars are better off. Once smooth roads comes, it glides effortlessly without any noise.
Yes, I second that. Though have not taken her to highways, I noticed it when the car picks up in 1st gear with high rpm's, the tyre - road noise is high.

Quote:
The Strange:

I think, Fiat as taken this "built like a tank" thing far too seriously, in a way it is good, but things like the horn ?

I mean I really have to press the darn surface hard, unlike other korean or japanese cars. Even the fuel lid does not close properly till the time you really "push", same goes with the boot closing, if you don't "thud" it hard enough it won't close !

Again, exactly the same experience I've had.
Horn is an irritant, I feel I've to really climb on it to blow it !! Boot is also an irritant & feels awkward when I've to close it with a laptop in 1 hand generally.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:29   #44
BHPian

xplora any updates on the iceing front using the balu harness etc??
Old 28th April 2009, 10:53   #45
BHPian

I love those mileage figures of the MJD!

And yeah, don't punish yourself with those calculations ... Go into menu -> units section change it to km and km/l.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks