Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Trip to Sripuram!

Went to Sripuram golden temple near Vellore by Alto today. Left home at 7.45 AM, filled up the car at Shell, had breakfast at Hot Chips Chromepet and started out at 8.35 AM. Reached Vellore at 11.30 AM. Speed maintained was a constant 70 - 80 KMPH. Sometimes it was 90 - 95. For a brief while when the road was completely empty and smooth, did 100 - 105 KMPH, to satisfy my curiosity! This was the first time I had touched three digit speeds.

But from Vellore to Sripuram (11 KM) it was a crawl in first/second gears for most of the way as the road was blocked as the wedding party from a politician family was running riot - garlanding their leader's statue, firing crackers, dancing a jig - in short, indulging in their most "rational" behaviour. So reached the temple finally at 12.15 PM. There was a huuu....ge holiday crowd from TN/KA/AP. Bought Rs 100 tickets for everyone to speed up the darshan, so came out at 1.30 PM. The temple itself is very nice, a sight to behold. But I did not feel any spirituality awaken within me. I felt more like a spectator in a gala event. Too bad they don't allow photographs. Also, half pants (shorts) are not allowed, even for children. They did not allow my 9 yo son to enter with shorts, so we had to buy a dhothi for Rs 60.00, which they sell within the premises very conveniently! I can accept this from temples that have centuries of this tradition, but not from ones that were built just day before yesterday.

Proceeded from there to a colleague's home at Vellore for lunch, then left for Chennai at 4.30 PM and arrived at Shell Chromepet for the mandatory full tank again, to check mileage, and reached home at 7.10 PM. Again a constant 70-80, with an occassional burst of 100-105.

The car does not seem to readily climb past 100 with just incremental throttle and I have to give a lot more throttle input. I was traveling with A/C on and total three people onboard. Is this normal? Also the odo reading when I started was ~1900 KM, so I hope it is OK to take the car past three digit speeds occassionally now? BHPians please chime in.

Total distance travelled was 322.70 KM for 15.250 litres of Shell Super unleaded, so the mileage was 21.16 KMPL. Three people onboard, with A/c on 80% of the time. Highway driving 85% and city driving 15%, of which ~ 8 KM extremely slow bumper to bumper driving in first/second gears.

Here are a few highway shots taken by my son while returning to Chennai:
Attached Thumbnails
Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00302.jpg  

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00303.jpg  

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00305.jpg  

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00306.jpg  

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00309.jpg  

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00310.jpg  

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi-dsc00311.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd October 2009 at 21:09.
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan: Thats a decent mileage figure for an Alto ! Nice pictures there. You should have clicked a few snaps of the car as well !
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:25   #78
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! I have posted a lot of photos of the car at various threads in this forum, so wanted to avoid repetition.

See you at 8.00 AM tomorrow. Will arrive by Splendor with my son in tow.
Old 2nd October 2009, 23:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
Also the odo reading when I started was ~1900 KM, so I hope it is OK to take the car past three digit speeds occassionally now? BHPians please chime in.
Hello Gansan i think it was a little too early for you to take the car at triple digit speeds at just 1900 Kms on the ODO.I remember my 800's manual suggesting me to avoid triple digit speeds and hard braking before reaching a 'n no of kms.I just don't recall what the figure was.

Maybe you should check your manual and see if it states the running in distance required.
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello Gansan i think it was a little too early for you to take the car at triple digit speeds at just 1900 Kms on the ODO.I remember my 800's manual suggesting me to avoid triple digit speeds and hard braking before reaching a 'n no of kms.I just don't recall what the figure was.

Maybe you should check your manual and see if it states the running in distance required.
The manual says we should not exceed 100 KMPH during running-in period, which is specified as the first 1000 KM. I have already completed this. There are no other restrictions.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Did a city mileage test today. When I went to Shell in the morning for the weekly air check, filled the petrol tank upon an impulse, though the car took in barely a few litres. Then went on my usual Sunday city rounds with a full compliment - 4 adults and one kid. Deliberately drove without A/C even though it was not comfortable. While returning home in the evening stopped at the same Shell bunk and filled Super unleaded from the same pump. Car took in 2.57 litres and distance completed was 54.9 KM, which indicated a mileage of 21.36 KMPL!

To be fair, there was no A/C and the traffic was light. Though 5th gear was not always posssible, there was no crawling either and I managed to stay in 4th gear most of the time. With full A/c and normal city traffic, I think I can expect at least 15 KMPL!
Old 18th October 2009, 23:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Car took in 2.57 litres and distance completed was 54.9 KM, which indicated a mileage of 21.36 KMPL!
Hi Gansan,
Mileage of 21.36 KMPL is terrific.I wonder if the Alto were to get the k-series engine it might be able to give even more kmpl than the present one.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:36   #83
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,

Long time since I checked in on this website and on your thread as well. Good to know about your FE figures.

I has tried a city cycle without the a/c on to see what is the best I could get after the 20k kms service. I have not updated the FE figures on the relevant thread yet, but will do so soon.

Regards,
gpa
Old 21st October 2009, 12:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thanks gpa, long time no see! I was wondering where you were!
Old 21st October 2009, 12:15   #85
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks gpa, long time no see! I was wondering where you were!
Gansan,

Was tied up with a few developments on the personal front that took away huge amounts of my time each day. But am glad am back now. Also noticed that all my numerical calculations have disappeared whilst I was away

Regards,
gpa
Old 27th November 2009, 16:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

Guys, in the old type carbureted Marutis, I remember that before switching off the engine, if we heard the fan running, we had to wait for it to stop first and then cut the engine. Does it still hold good for current MPFI cars too? The MASS guys say it is not necessary any more. Any inputs?
Old 29th November 2009, 21:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, in the old type carbureted Marutis, I remember that before switching off the engine, if we heard the fan running, we had to wait for it to stop first and then cut the engine. Does it still hold good for current MPFI cars too? The MASS guys say it is not necessary any more. Any inputs?
BUMP!

No response from anyone?
Old 29th November 2009, 22:05   #88
Senior - BHPian

Belated Congratulations.Its one of the princess of Maruti.Take care of her as well as your family on travel.Even in wonderful road 90 plus is not safe for her.Control below 80.
Me a Ritzian

Last edited by navan49 : 29th November 2009 at 22:06.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car does not seem to readily climb past 100 with just incremental throttle and I have to give a lot more throttle input. I was traveling with A/C on and total three people onboard. Is this normal? Also the odo reading when I started was ~1900 KM, so I hope it is OK to take the car past three digit speeds occassionally now? BHPians please chime in.
Wait for a few more kms. I have driven Alto on A'bad-Vadodara expressway and the car hits 100 with ease. The problem starts after 125-130 in general. Lot depends on other factors. Wind being one of them.

Try this again after 2500-3000 Kms.

Quote:

No response from anyone?
Dont worry about it. We have 1 lakh kms+ M800 with CNG. We have never experienced any issue even if we switch off the engine. There is soem thing weird with this concept.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its no longer necessary. Fan can be turned on even when ignition is off.

So, system will turn on the fan if required.

Quote:
I hope it is OK to take the car past three digit speeds occassionally now? BHPians please chime in.

Do NOT make it a habit. Weakest link in this case are tires.

Stock tyres are not designed for sustained usage in high speed. Maruti did a "stress test" and ran an Alto at near 100 kmph for 48 hours on test track. But it was not on stock tires. A google search should bring up sources for this.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 29th November 2009 at 22:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks