Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 00:37   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I am running on 33, tried 30 as well
I am using 28 PSI all around, the ride is considerably better.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I am using 28 PSI all around, the ride is considerably better.
But this is too less than recommended 33
Old 9th October 2009, 13:18   #108
BHPian

Maglev, 30 psi is more appropriate.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:51   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont go by the recommended pressures. Most of the time, they are aimed towards economy rather than comfort.

Also, do remember that when you fill 28, when your vehicle is running, the pressure might be closer to 30 itself.
Old 10th October 2009, 00:49   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Dont go by the recommended pressures. Most of the time, they are aimed towards economy rather than comfort.

Also, do remember that when you fill 28, when your vehicle is running, the pressure might be closer to 30 itself.

Thats why I was also suggesting 28 PSI.
Old 13th October 2009, 07:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

5000 km update

Finished the 5000 km servicing last week. Pratham Motors was a bit surprised to see the car coming for 2nd servicing after just 8 weeks of purchase. Had no issues to report - except minor squeaks from the driver's seat, and a faint 'krrrrr' noise that came up once for a couple of minutes from the dashboard when I was driving at over 130kmph (the service guys couldn't replicate this though for obvious reasons).

Am happy that I have had a trouble free experience till now.

Couple of minor cribs (no fault of the car):
1. I keep the child seat in the car all the time. Saw that the portion of the leather seat cover below child seat has become a bit wrinkled.

2. Wanted to change the head unit, but it seems that I won't easily get back the original dash look + steering controls (I know it is possible, but too much of a hassle so decided to junk the idea). Anyway sound quality has improved tremendously after changing speakers and installing an amp and a sub. I recently faced the subwoofer towards the front, and immediately saw an improvement in the bass/lower frequencies. Will have to find a way to prevent the sub from hitting the boot wall when I brake or accelerate.

3. Am not fully satisfied with the 60/55 Philips X-treme Power bulbs (for night highway driving). Wondering whether it is worth the effort and risk to go for 100/90 with relays. The Pratham folks told me that I can get it done outside, but warranty might be void if there are any electrical problems in the future. They said that issues due to higher powered bulbs do come up once in a while.
Old 14th October 2009, 00:19   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
3. Am not fully satisfied with the 60/55 Philips X-treme Power bulbs (for night highway driving). Wondering whether it is worth the effort and risk to go for 100/90 with relays. The Pratham folks told me that I can get it done outside, but warranty might be void if there are any electrical problems in the future. They said that issues due to higher powered bulbs do come up once in a while.

I Installed 100/90 Philips bulbs with Bosch (Mico) relay & ceramic bulb holders, in my Hyundai Accent some 3 years ago. Haven't faced an issue till date. Even the bulbs are the same, none of them fused.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:25   #113
Senior - BHPian

15000 km update

Finished the 4th (15K km) servicing a few days back. Pretty happy with the vehicle. But minor niggles are not going away:
1. Squealing brakes (especially early in the morning, and during slow speed braking). Brakes work fine though.
2. Minor rattling noises from the dashboard

Mileage has come down from 11 to 9.5-10 after the 3rd servicing. Part of it could be due to the change in driving style since I rev more now. Will see if there is a difference now that Pratham did some tuning of the engine.

Overall: great vehicle, reliable. No regrets - would buy again under similar circumstances (instead of say a ANHC) - I can totally depend on her even when I face bad roads/bad weather etc. The ground clearance, the tight(ish) suspension and the big tyres are really useful for Indian roads.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:28   #114
BANNED

Typical Maruti. Simple, reliable and affordable to own and maintain. Enjoy your ride.

The FE is on the lower side by around 1.5 kmpl is what I feel. An engine check using their laptop(whatever they term it) should get it back on track.
Old 24th October 2010, 22:41   #115
Senior - BHPian

20000 km update

The squeaking/ squealing problems have been sorted out - mostly.

Getting ~ 11+ kmpl now. After looking at my Fortuner's instanteneous mileage calculator, I realize how much more fuel is consumed while revving. Nowadays the SX4 is driven mostly by my wife, who is a more sedate driver - perhaps the mileage has increased because of that.

I appreciate the SX4 brakes more now after drivig the Fortuner. However, at high speeds and on stock tyres, it seems that I am floating (less feedback/feel), compared to the Fortuner,that feels planted.

Overall, happy with the reliability and Maruti A.S.S. My parents did a weekend trip (before the Fortuner came) in the SX4, and complimented it on its highway manners.
Old 16th May 2011, 23:14   #116
Senior - BHPian

25000 km update

About to go for the 25K servicing. Vehicle has performed well, no major issues, My wife drives the car mostly, nowadays.

Issues that I have faced:
1: Squeaking brakes (gone away more or less)
2. AC smell (problem even in my Fortuner) - not a big issue
3. The fuel lid getting stuck twice: minor issue, but can cause a lot of pain. Had to go to the service centre twice to fix this. A small part on the lid hinge broke, and was getting stuck. Will get it changed.
4. Door handles a bit stiff - lack of lubrication. Should become fine. Hope it is not a major, recurring issue.

Otherwise, she has served us very well. Not a single tyre puncture in spite of going through rough roads. Not a single major problem.

My wife was driving this home one day when Bangalore was semi-flooded. She drove this home without any problem, when the Citys and Civics were stuck in the water. She was mahathrilled.

The vehicle has been a bit neglected since I have focused more on the Fortuner ever since it arrived in my life. Having said that, if I have to go for a drive, I would rather chose a diesel car ever since petrol price crossed Rs. 70 in Bangalore. I only take it out when I feel that parking the Fortuner will be a pain in the city. But that's just me. My wife drives 40 km everyday in the SX4.

I guess the number of long drives with the SX4 will be minimal, unless the petrol prices come down :-(

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th May 2011 at 23:20.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:09   #117
BHPian

Re: 25000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Otherwise, she has served us very well. Not a single tyre puncture in spite of going through rough roads. Not a single major problem.

My wife was driving this home one day when Bangalore was semi-flooded. She drove this home without any problem, when the Citys and Civics were stuck in the water. She was mahathrilled.
What are the condition of the tyres after 25k kms? Do you have JK Vectras?

Thanks to the ground clearance you do not have to worry about minor street flooding. High GC is one of the biggest plus points of Sx4.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Re: Black SX4 Zxi booked. Update: delivery taken, and car being put through its paces

I am using the Vectras. They still have some tread left Might shift to better tyres when I change. The JKs don't give much grip, but they are built pretty tough.

The high ground clearance was a key reason behind buying the SX4.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

27000 km update

Car came back from servicing recently (late servicing). Issues have got fixed - apparently. One tyre had 16 psi pressure! I nowadays make it a point to check tyre pressures next morning without fail. Have too many surprises with the SX4 and the Fortuner after coming from the service centre.

For the first time, I had two punctures one after the other. The JKs had not given any trouble for 26000 km. I guess it had to happen sometime. Let's see how long they run properly. I might upgrade to CPC2 or equivalent when I change the tyres.

The fuel tank does get empty fast - at least it seems faster due to the high petrol price (always on the back of the mind) and lesser fuel efficiency + smaller tank size compared to the Fortuner's.
Old 28th February 2012, 21:33   #120
Senior - BHPian

45000km update

The car has been having a torrid time ever since I handed over the keys to a driver.
  • I never had a puncture...he managed to puncture the vehicle multiple times going over nails etc.
  • I have dented rear bumper, dented front bumper, scrape marks on both sides. It is always some other guy's fault - apparently people like banging into my car when they are feeling bored
  • Broken windscreen - due to a coconut falling! (why would someone park it beneath a coconut tree??)
  • The right rear door is not closing properly - lock problem
Seems I will end up spending 15K for normal servicing, oil change and all the body repair work

Otherwise the car is running fine. Almost runs 2500km every month - I might switch to a diesel hatch or sedan. Still on the stock tyres, no issues. Minor squeaks from the rear seats - nothing irritating.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th February 2012 at 21:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks