Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 23:19   #31
BHPian

First kiss

Yeah...she is a beauty. And an Alto coming behind couldn't resist her. The son of a mother-father kissed her rear bumper and now she's marked.

Pathetic idiot could only say "It happens all the time in Bangalore" even before a sorry. Wanted to give him a turbo-charged 110-bhp smack.

When is this city going to learn basic manners? Shoot!

Anyway...the scratch is minor. But it cut deep.

On a more positive note...a couple of friends took small spins in the Karadi. And the look on their faces when it hit 2000 RPM was worth every rupee I spent on her! I still cannot believe Hyundai is pulling the plug on this one.
Old 15th July 2009, 01:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
Yeah...she is a beauty. And an Alto coming behind couldn't resist her. The son of a mother-father kissed her rear bumper and now she's marked.

Pathetic idiot could only say "It happens all the time in Bangalore" even before a sorry. Wanted to give him a turbo-charged 110-bhp smack.

On a more positive note...a couple of friends took small spins in the Karadi. And the look on their faces when it hit 2000 RPM was worth every rupee I spent on her! I still cannot believe Hyundai is pulling the plug on this one.
Holy! Nothing bad I hope- a rubbing should take it off? Post some pics of the hit.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the pathetic thing in every metros.
Roads are not wide and that road unable to withstand the Heavy traffic.
If you see any car,it has some marks.
In Chennai,it's very tough to find a car without any scratch.
any how drive safe and enjoy the Karadi(In tamil also it means Bear)
Old 15th July 2009, 10:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Same thing happened to my vehicle too. Some similar son in an accent in a signal wanted to take a "cycle gap" and gave the rear bumper a scar. The paint came off but there was no dent.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the ride.
Trip to Hills will not be pleasurable for the karadi,the road is not good,so can't open her up.Have a trip to yelagiri,you can Njoy the ride.

Don't forget its still under run-in period.How abt the ride when you take after 80,i feel bit scary.Need the right set shoes.do wear your seat belts.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:35   #36
BHPian

Congrats indigo!!I share the excitement and the pure adrenaline that you got when you walk towards your first car and its amazing. I got my Getz 1.1 GLE on 29th June and that too without a test drive! I had driven the CRDI and felt it was a rocket on the road (the tag line that you would see on some cars that say.. " I am not driving fast but I am just flying low" goes good with this). It was just a monetary constrain that I cudnt plug in another 1.4 L else she could have been mine too but there is always a next time!!

enjoy and drive safe!

Cheers
Sunil
Old 15th July 2009, 22:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats on the ride.
Trip to Hills will not be pleasurable for the karadi,the road is not good,so can't open her up.Have a trip to yelagiri,you can Njoy the ride.

Don't forget its still under run-in period.How abt the ride when you take after 80,i feel bit scary.Need the right set shoes.do wear your seat belts.
Thanks ram! I took her out on Mysore road for about 100 km on friday and I felt quite safe at 125 kmph also. Didnt push beyond. But yeah...new tyres are needed. Finance crunch sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.nv View Post
Congrats indigo!!I share the excitement and the pure adrenaline that you got when you walk towards your first car and its amazing. I got my Getz 1.1 GLE on 29th June and that too without a test drive! I had driven the CRDI and felt it was a rocket on the road (the tag line that you would see on some cars that say.. " I am not driving fast but I am just flying low" goes good with this). It was just a monetary constrain that I cudnt plug in another 1.4 L else she could have been mine too but there is always a next time!!

enjoy and drive safe!

Cheers
Sunil
Thanks and congrats sunil! The Getz is a great VFM in all variants IMHO. Enjoy your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Holy! Nothing bad I hope- a rubbing should take it off? Post some pics of the hit.
NOthing too bad at all. Just that the first scratch is always painful. Pretty much over it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
This is the pathetic thing in every metros.
Roads are not wide and that road unable to withstand the Heavy traffic.
If you see any car,it has some marks.
In Chennai,it's very tough to find a car without any scratch.
any how drive safe and enjoy the Karadi(In tamil also it means Bear)
Yeah Karthik...urban cars face lack of space. Would have preferred the first scratch to have been my own mistake though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Same thing happened to my vehicle too. Some similar son in an accent in a signal wanted to take a "cycle gap" and gave the rear bumper a scar. The paint came off but there was no dent.
Ouch! Same here...no dent. Paint has come off a bit. Seems like a very minor touch up job at first service if at all! I might decide to keep the scratch as a momento.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:36   #38
BHPian

Karadi goes to the mountains

So, a bunch of us decided to take a long pending trip to Coorg over the weekend. Four of us set off in Karadi on Saturday morning and returned on Sunday night.

Trip stats:
Total distance 550 km
Good roads 350 km
Average roads 100 km
Poor roads 100 km

Fuel consumption 35.5 litres

Average FE 15.5 kmpl

The route taken was Bangalore -> Mysore road -> Turn off on to Hunsur road after Srirangapatna -> Turn off after Hunsur to Virajpet -> Honey Valley (towards Kakabbe)

The road up to Hunsur is fantastic! Hardly any traffic to speak of. Hunsur to Virajpet is a forest road and the scenery makes up for the average road conditions. After Virajpet, the last 25-30 km is pathetic. We stayed at a "homestay" called Honey Valley and it was fantastic! Will start a travel report in the other forum.

The car handled wonderfully well through out. The top speed that we dared to hit was 150 kmph on NICE road. After that it was mostly at about 90-100 kmph on the good roads and 50-70 kmph on the average ones.

With lots of stops (about 4 or 5) on the onward journey, it took us exactly 6 hours to reach the place.

On the return leg, Google Maps pulled a fast one on us, leading us on a wild goose chase for about 20-30 km through mud tracks before we retraced the entire path!

That, combined with a major hold up after ramanagar due to a horrific accident (a maruti van had overturned), it took us a tad over 7 hours.

The Drive
I had done a very short (100 km) highway spin before with karadi. But that was late in the evening under poor driving conditions. This time, Karadi was able to really express herself!

The driving comfort on the highway is just superb. The engine response for overtaking, a very planted feel, steering response is great. The AC was really effective. We never had to move higher than the second level of AC. I truly fell in love with her after this drive! This is a car completely at home on the highway. I am still running on stock tyres and I did feel the need for better tyres. Maybe a few more months and a change will happen on that front.

There is quite a bit of tyre noise. Will that increase or decrease with an upsize? Otherwise, the sound insulation is fantastic! With the Beatles, Clapton, Simon and Garfuncle and others playing on ICE, the isolation is complete.

There is considerable steering column vibration at about 120 kmph. Goes away to a large extent by 130-135 kmph. I remember reading about this, so I guess it is normal. Again, is there ay effect of a tyre upsize on this? Any tyre upsize I am talking about is only on stock rims. So, a 185/65 R 13 upsize is my reference for these questions.

Since it is still in the running in period, I never revved beyond 3000 rpm, and even that was only in the first 2 gears. 3 and 4 was tested only till 2500-2700 rpm. The acceleration is just brilliant. No turbo lag. It was brilliant to get rid of the pesky Indicas, Wagon Rs and Innovas by slowing them down a little and then zooming away! (No offence meant to these car owners, but we came across too many of these with pathetic highway driving habits. Most of them were taxis/ driver driven)

Overall Experience
The odo now reads over 900 km. In 18 days of ownership. It has been through 2 tanks of fuel thus far.

Tank 1 - 390 km, 30 litres. FE - 13 kmpl. Highway about 90 km. Rest city.

Tank 2 - as above. FE - 15.5 kmpl. 85% highway.

Are these acceptable figures?

I have a pretty sedate driving style. Not revving too much. City driving is pretty much standard, with 50% bumper to bumper.

My first service is going to be due pretty soon. I am planning to use Advaith Hyundai *** in Banashankari or in JP Nagar.

Any reviews of these two centers?

Also, need some pointers for the first service. What should I look out for and what needs to be done.

Cheers!
Old 27th July 2009, 15:15   #39
BHPian

First of all, Congrats for the new car and welcome to Club "Wolf in it"

I call my Getz that way.

<Average FE15.5 kmpl >

This is a good average before 1st service as you mentioned around 100kms of road were poor.

I have done 40800 so far in 1 year 6 months

My recent trip to chennai gave me 16.9 per liter in 95% highway with 65 % AC on.

<Any tyre upsize I am talking about is only on stock rims. So, a 185/65 R 13 upsize is my reference for these questions.>

Does CRDi now reduced it to 13" ? Mine is 14" (or this is a typo?)
Old 27th July 2009, 15:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post

Does CRDi now reduced it to 13" ? Mine is 14" (or this is a typo?)
thanks trtraj! yeah...typo. sorry. I meant 185/65 R 14.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is quite a bit of tyre noise. Will that increase or decrease with an upsize?

There is considerable steering column vibration at about 120 kmph. Goes away to a large extent by 130-135 kmph. I remember reading about this, so I guess it is normal. Again, is there ay effect of a tyre upsize on this? Any tyre upsize I am talking about is only on stock rims. So, a 185/65 R 13 upsize is my reference for these questions.
I never ran much with stock tires, so not sure of tire noise on stocks (except for that long wheel-spin i had when taking the car out of my office parking ) Tire noise depends on what tires you go for- I am currently on S.Drives, and they ARE loud. I guess A.Drives or XM1+ do not make much noise. How does PP2 behave, i wonder...

Quote:
Tank 1 - 390 km, 30 litres. FE - 13 kmpl. Highway about 90 km. Rest city.

Tank 2 - as above. FE - 15.5 kmpl. 85% highway.

Are these acceptable figures?
You have a pretty decent FE considering you haven't even taken the car in for first service. You don't push her hard, do you?!! I used to upshift at 2000 RPM and got about 14 KMPL- have not checked after 1st service, though.

Quote:
My first service is going to be due pretty soon. I am planning to use Advaith Hyundai *** in Banashankari or in JP Nagar.

Any reviews of these two centers?

Also, need some pointers for the first service. What should I look out for and what needs to be done.
Change the engine oil (and filter) at the first service- the service centers do not do this, and I was told this is not required about thrice- I had to kinda enforce an oil change! Check out my thread for the service costs...
Old 27th July 2009, 21:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
thanks trtraj! yeah...typo. sorry. I meant 185/65 R 14.
Hey,
Go get your wheel alignment done after another 100KM and everything will be fine. If you want to go in for new shoes then i would recommend waiting and going in for 15" rims with 205/50 R15 otherwise the best upsize would be 185/65 R14. The fuel efficiency seems to be good in your vehicle keep driving a lot . And for the first service if you have money to spare go in for the 3M under chassis coat(~Rs. 3K) and the 3M body coat(~3M again). Otherwise the car will be washed and stuff like that i think it should be completely free. For the oil change i would recommend doing it after 2500KM. That is what i did.

Shyam

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 27th July 2009 at 21:56.
Old 15th January 2010, 14:10   #43
BHPian

Hi all!

Refreshing my dormant thread. There was nothing much of significance to write. My usage has been very low due to the lack of road trips!

The latest update is:
I have done about 3,200 km in 6 months. (Yes yes...i know it is not in diesel territory. But the car gives me the joy of driving every single time!)

Just finished the second "free" service this week. Got some minor polishing and touch up done for Rs 900. They just changed the oil and air filter. Total bill came to Rs 2,972.

I have been using IOC and BP bunks for diesel and have been disappointed with the FE. I put it down to the low usage and short runs (typically <10km per run). I get about 11 kmpl.

This was the case on 2 separate tank fulls - with widely different driving style! Just to experiment, on one tank I ran the engine quite aggressively (but still below the 3k rpm). On another tank of diesel, I ran very conservatively keeping one eye on the dials all the time. No difference at all!

There is one particular petrol bunk which is extremely notorious for cheating. This is on the JP Nagar ring road, close to Jayanagar 9th block. I think it is a HP bunk. Due to its location, I have had to use it quite often. I have to be on full alert for the "zero reading" etc. And today, I realized that they not only cheat on fuel...they cheat on air pressure also!

I decided to use Shell (near Lalbagh) just to see if the fuel quality makes a difference. I had not checked air pressure for almost 45 days and expected the air pressure to be very low indeed. The recommended setting is 30 psi. (Right?).

At the Shell station, I noticed that the air machine was actually pumping out air! The pressure in all tyres was 35-37 psi! I wanted to go to the JP Nagar bunk and shout my head off!!

Anyway...with the correct air pressure, the ride has become amazing. It used to be really bumpy. Especially when I went over a speed bump slightly fast. Never realized that it was because of the tyre pressure.

So, overall, I am now even more thrilled with my car. With the oil change also out of the way now, I am pushing harder than ever before. And constantly grinning! :-)
Old 15th January 2010, 16:55   #44
BHPian

Good that you woke up this thread. Nice to see you here. Anyways have to meet you up soon to have a drive on Karadi.

I hope you recognized me.
Old 15th January 2010, 22:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamban View Post
Good that you woke up this thread. Nice to see you here. Anyways have to meet you up soon to have a drive on Karadi.

I hope you recognized me.
mmm...not really. I am sandeep. Dont think I know anyone with a Ritz...

Is the price of diesel in Shell higher than other bunks? It was 37.9X when I filled up. I remember that it was 37.0X in the other bunks in Blore...

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks