Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 23:57   #1
BHPian

ANHC / Honda City Auto: Story of "Singh"'s boo"King"

Hello all this is my first post on Tbhp, been a longtime lurker though. A few weeks back, I was on the lookout for a new vehicle and I had no specific choices, except that it should cost around a max of 10-12 lacs, it should have more than 2 wheels and should be serviceable in Delhi.
Safari Trail
Till date I have driven mostly in the city, and exclusively a petrol hatch or sedan (Currently : Getz,Swift,Corolla). I was never into much of highway driving, and after reading a couple of travelogues here at team-bhp.com I thought this should change, I needed to reclaim my life.
Enter the new Tata Safari 2.2, it suddenly sounded as the answer to my soul’s cries. My cousin had been keeping a Safari every since it came out and never reported any issues with it. So I was off to Chandigarh to test drive his new Safari 2.2, the car all Indians dream of owning one day(quoting a Tbhp member).
I had driven and been driven in a Tata Safari before and I was thoroughly in awe of it. I test drove the car at night on Chandigarh’s empty roads; first impression: fantastic in-gear acceleration, fantastic ride and fantastic “views”. As I drove the Safari over the following day, the utilitarian nature and the imposing size of the car dawned on me. Reading tsk1979’s experience with his Safari was not encouraging either. I knew Safari would not be at home in the Delhi traffic, nor would it let me indulge in my “boy racer mode” attacks and on top of that it would require tremendous amount of patience to maintain.
Enter the Linea
What a beaut ! 18lakh car at 8lakh! Fantastic chassis ! 18kmpl average! I was intrigued, I hadn’t seen enough Linea’s on Delhi’s roads and I wondered why ? The more I researched the more I convinced myself this is the car for me. So off I went to Sanya motors, Mayapuri for a test drive.
The showroom was bustling with people, but I managed to get a test drive. As soon as I sat in the car, I was like *** ! The quality of plastics was shoddy and the white retro dials ugly. I asked the attendant is this the base model? His shocked reply was sir this is the top of the line model. Anyhow, I test drove the car for a mere kilometre on the super busy road, never felt that it was underpowered, no complaints of the ride but I needed a more thorough drive. I bid goodbye to the attendant and I went back thoroughly disappointed. Linea wasn’t the one, at least not for the moment.
Scorpio’s Sting
I was never a fan of Scorpio, always holding it to be an inferior product compared to the Safari, but reading Tsk1979’s and Raj’s posts made me reconsider. I thought maybe Scorpio could be the one? After all it had loads of features, was not as massive as a Safari, and had that fantastic mhawk engine.
So one fine Sunday I headed to Sri Durga Automobiles, the Mahindra Showroom on Rama Road. My father and I collectively gasped at the horror inside, the interiors were of the shoddiest build possible and the interior space was at a premium too. Reluctantly, I took a test drive, it planted a smile on my face; the engine was brilliant, acceleration and torque surge phenomenal, not rattled by the broken tarmac as I had been led to believe, and decent cornering ability considering the size of the vehicle. I was in a bind the issue with Scorpio’s interiors, size and the fact that car is expected to be more of a city car were working against the Scorpio. I was still keeping an open mind.
Linea Redux
My father suggested we head off to the Tata-Fiat Showroom stone’s throw away from the Mahindra showroom to have a look at Punto, for him and to test drive the Linea again. He turned out to be even more finicky than I was when it came to Linea’s interiors. Then we had a dekko of Punto, somehow the interiors of Punto look and feel better than Linea’s; I guess it’s to do with the darker colour theme and black dials.
We Test drove the Linea, the car certainly didn’t feel underpowered, the torque was addictive, the chassis excellent and ride good. If one could look beyond the white dials, average interior build and space this is the car but sadly I can’t. Punto, though could see addition to my family soon.
Banzai Charge !
I was still undecided, when my dad suggested that I should look at the time tested Jap petrol cars. Call it a co-incidence or divine intervention, the same day one of my uncle visited and suggested that I look at Honda and he was kind enough to lend me his Civic Auto for a couple of days. I was initially hesitant as I had not driven auto extensively but Civic auto was easy to drive and the paddle shifts were awesome. The car was well planted, the vtech engine begged to be revved, though it did not really inspire confidence when tackling broken tarmac.
Now, the only issue being at 14+ otr Delhi, it was not only well outside my budget but also not vfm. My uncle suggest that I have a look at City, as it’s as good as a Civic, I also remember reading GTO’s comment that City is 90% Civic at 75% Price, I felt that City would be a good choice for me. Its compacter dimensions would be a help in parking , auto would be a help in driving in the traffic, and 118ps Vtech engine would allow me to indulge.
So yesterday off I went with my father to the recently opened Automax Honda, Mayapuri to have a look at the City. The build quality of the City was certainly above a notch over the others I test drove. Interior space was impressive for its dimensions, I reckon they were a tad more than Linea’s, stock HU is pretty nifty too, can’t say the same about the speakers. I decided on the Bold beige colour but was not particularly impressed with the silver insert on the front panel, it somehow reduces the overall looks. Accessories price list is a total rip-off too, so is the absence of alloys, ACC and foglamps.
Test drive time, it was what I had expected of a car claiming to be 90% Civic, it had me convinced that this is the car for my needs: engine loved to be revved, ride and gearshift’s were good, visibility was fair. I got down to discussions with the sales rep, he said they didn’t have any discounts to offer but he offered to give me a discount on the Rs7500 anti-rust treatment, besides other small freebies. I liked the Bold Beige colour but he said that I would have to wait 14-15 days for delivery for it. He said he will come to my office tomorrow for detailed discussions as I had to leave.
Booked!

Today the sales rep came to my office, for the booking. We got down to discussions on the discounts, insurance and loan. I said I would get a loan from my Bank, HDFC, as I was getting a better rate of 10.25%. When it came to discounts he offered me 10,000 rs or the anti-rust treatment with a few freebies like mud flaps, pillows etc.. He also said that before the Jazz was released the City’s were being delivered on time not so anymore, and that it would take a maximum of two weeks for delivery. I asked for discounts on the accessories, he offered me around 5% but suggested that I not go in for Honda alloys as they were very expensive.
While we were discussing my uncle who lent me his Civic came in. He and my dad both asked me to get an Auto for myself as it made more sense for in-city driving, and I said why not? I handed him a cheque of Rs10,000 and booked a Bold Beige Honda City 1.5 S Auto for myself subject to my test drive experience, discount scheme and delivery schedule remaining the same; the car’s OTR came to about ~Rs 9,67,000.
Will head there tomorrow for a test drive and if all goes well, I will be a happy owner of Honda City 1.5S Auto by end of this month.
----------
Old 17th July 2009, 00:56   #2
BHPian

Congratulations. Do post the pics and a detailed initial-ownership review. What were the other color options, if you considered any?
Old 17th July 2009, 01:42   #3
BHPian

If not Bold beige I would've probably opted for Ablaster Silver.
Old 17th July 2009, 06:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!!

Please do a comparo of the City AT and the Civic AT especially the paddle shift. I found the Civic AT especially driven with paddle shifts to be a bit jerky.
Old 17th July 2009, 07:20   #5
BHPian

congrats!
Just curious, since you are very finicky about interiors ... how did you find ANHC's interiors? especially the central console.
Old 17th July 2009, 08:06   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to Honda Club. Would love to see the initial delivery & ownership experience and some pics please.
Old 17th July 2009, 09:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy,nothing to write home abt city.
I personally didn't like the interiors except the steering wheel i.e borrowed from civic.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh_dfi View Post
Will head there tomorrow for a test drive and if all goes well, I will be a happy owner of Honda City 1.5S Auto by end of this month.
It seems you are still undecided. post your decision after your test drive.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats!!!

Please do a comparo of the City AT and the Civic AT especially the paddle shift. I found the Civic AT especially driven with paddle shifts to be a bit jerky.
Will do a match up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
congrats!
Just curious, since you are very finicky about interiors ... how did you find ANHC's interiors? especially the central console.

I have commented on the same in my (now unreadable) post. Not happy about it but can live with it.
I hope to fit some aftermarket carbon fibre/wood console if and when available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Congrats on your new ride and welcome to Honda Club. Would love to see the initial delivery & ownership experience and some pics please.
Will do, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
congrats on the buy,nothing to write home abt city.
I personally didn't like the interiors except the steering wheel i.e borrowed from civic.
I am okay with the interiors and it was the best amongst the cars I tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
It seems you are still undecided. post your decision after your test drive.
If I find some major flaws with AT, will go for the MT irresp Honda City is decided upon. Heading for a TD in a half hour wish me luck.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good luck with your TD. The AT in the City is slightly more advanced in terms of features compared to the Civic AT. You can use the paddles for downshifting even in D.

Re: jerky shifting with paddles, you need to adjust the accelerator while you do this. Simply flooring the fast pedal while changing gear will make it jerk, just as doing the same would cause an MT to complain.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Some unexpected work resulted a shortish TD, couldn't really employ the paddleshift. No complaints though so far; so Auto it is.

The sales rep said that he will come to my home for a longer TD, whenever I want. Expect a much longer TD report either this evening or tomorrow afternoon; mind's already made up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Good luck with your TD. The AT in the City is slightly more advanced in terms of features compared to the Civic AT. You can use the paddles for downshifting even in D.

Re: jerky shifting with paddles, you need to adjust the accelerator while you do this. Simply flooring the fast pedal while changing gear will make it jerk, just as doing the same would cause an MT to complain.
Immortalz thanks for this bit.
A quick question, how will you get best acceleration timings in anhc auto ?
Old 17th July 2009, 16:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh_dfi View Post
So yesterday off I went with my father to the recently opened Automax Honda, Mayapuri to have a look at the City. ----------
@singh, Many congratulations on booking the car. Just a word of caution on the dealer, I remember reading on one of the thread here in which one person had been delivered one 'used' automatic Honda civic as a new car by the same dealer at Mayapuri. Search for that thread here and if you go-ahead with the booking then you can quote that thread to the sales rep to ensure that He know you will be particular about getting no-nonsense from them
Old 17th July 2009, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

I used to drive an AT for about 1.5 years. By jerky, I meant that the transition is not seem less which was the case in my other AT.
Old 17th July 2009, 18:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
@singh, Many congratulations on booking the car. Just a word of caution on the dealer, I remember reading on one of the thread here in which one person had been delivered one 'used' automatic Honda civic as a new car by the same dealer at Mayapuri. Search for that thread here and if you go-ahead with the booking then you can quote that thread to the sales rep to ensure that He know you will be particular about getting no-nonsense from them
Much thanks Sang for the heads up, will be extra careful
Old 19th July 2009, 20:11   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I only just voted for the ANHC in the A/T poll going on elsewhere in the forum, and now this thread. What can I say, congratulations! You've made a wise decision. The ANHC is the MOST all-rounded sedan from the C segment. Except for the compromised trim levels, it's hard to find fault with the City. It's stupendous reliability, high-revving engine, balanced ride & handling, ease in useability and low cost of ownership will have you holding on for a long time to come. Take it from a '03 Honda City owner who isn't willing to sell.

We look forward to pictures + a detailed ownership report of your soon-to-come Honda.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks