Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 11:36   #31
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to buy a SUV and zeroed down to Fortuner and Grand Vitara.

I am a person who does low to medium level off road drive with my family members. Kindly suggest a better one among these two where myself and my wife can drive. This vehicle will be used mainly for long trips.

I found following concern with Fortuner

1. Long gear shifts
2. Poor Breaking System
3. Due to high GC, entering and exiting from the vehicle is difficult.
4. The service center availability at remote location and even cost of service.

For Grand Vitara, the concern I found is the Petrol Engine

Also any body have a test driven the Grand Vitara 2.4 AT Version?
When I searched in the forum, I am able to find the report on Manual Version.

What is the major difference in performance between Manual and automatic version?

Thank You.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Prajeesh- I would suggest you to go in for Fortuner, with diesel you have more useable power with considerably lower fuel consumption. Another added bonus would be the Fortuner will hold its value very well compared to petrol engine Grand Vitara which sells in single digit figures.
Old 16th October 2009, 14:49   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK the AT from Suzuki is one reliable equipment so that should not be a concern. In past I have driven AT Esteems and was quite satisfied with their service right through 250000 odd cumulative km's.

Again AFAIK Maruti is out of stock on GV and next lot of CBU's coming only by November/December.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:06   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Prajeesh - Lets keep the discussion on forum and let others too participate.

First and foremost is that you should be clear why you are buying a 4x4 SUV. And secondly I have not yet TD'd new GV2.4

The value of diesel vs petrol is negligible considering the price difference between the two (Back of envelop calculation show money saved will earn enough for difference).

Fortuner brakes are not as much of a problem as I first thought. Have driven one during day and night high speed highway dashes last weekend (Pics are on Desert Storm web site and mods do not allow external links so you'll have to google for it)
The brakes feel hard but car stopped true all the time including panic stops at night with full beam oncoming busses. GV gives better feel and grip.

High speed manouvering is another area that I would say GV score. It is probably long wheel base vs short wheel base issue.

Engine power is Fortuners forte and it delivers with sure response. In GV2.0 I would downshift and get the acceleration. GV2.4? I suspect still Fortuner would be better.

Unless you answer what is your intended use rest would be useless discussion. For instance you only mention long trips. I would quickly rate as:
Long trips - Fortuner
Ease of AT - GV
Off road - Both
High speeds - GV
Space - Fortuner
A.S.S. - GV
Parts costs - Both
Resale value - Fortuner
Long term - Both
City Driving - AT or MT?
How much city and how much highway?

........endless. Ultimately both are products from good suppliers. Your choice your decision boss.

Last edited by sudev : 16th October 2009 at 16:11.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2009, 16:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Prajeesh - Lets keep the discussion on forum and let others too participate.
I will do

Quote:
The brakes feel hard but car stopped true all the time including panic stops at night with full beam oncoming busses. GV gives better feel and grip.
Even I feel the same after doing TD on both Fortuner and G.V. I feel G.V's breaking system is not hard. May be due to disc break system. I checked with Pete and they told me that they will get Taro Breaking System for fortuner by month End

Quote:
Ease of AT - GV
I asked AT version of GV for test drive and they don't have it and in one of the post by Soccer there were some negative aspect of MT version of GV 2.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer
The gear lever travel is a mile long and the vehicle loses a lot of its power by the time the 2nd gear is settled. And if you thought this was terrible another shock awaited when you shifted from 2nd to 3rd. The travel distance of the gear stick is almost endless. At this point of time the sales person suggested that I should drive an Automatic, which according to him has been delivered to 2 of his clients. I had no idea that deliveries had started
Quote:
Off road - Both
In one of your Thread, you mentioned that break over angle of Fortuner is poor compared to GV

Quote:
High speeds - GV
I am looking for a decent speed of 120 to 150 Km/hr in high way and how both perform in terms of stability and body roll

Quote:
City Driving - AT or MT?
We have a separate Vehicle for City drive and my SUV is for low to Medium Off-road and for long trips to Kerala and near by states of Karnataka

Thank You
Old 16th October 2009, 16:47   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudev with modify your post adding the endy auto and captiva auto to the equation? - Part perception, Part experience. So could definately be wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Long trips - Fortuner>Captiva>Endy>GV
Ease of AT - Captiva>GV>Endy>Fortuner
Off road - All 4
High speeds - GV>Captiva>fortuner>Endy
Space - Fortuner>Captiva>Endy>GV
A.S.S. - GV>Fortuner>Endy=Captiva
Parts costs - All equal
Resale value - Fortuner>Endy>Captiva>GV
Long term - All
City Driving - AT hence not fortuner.

........endless. Ultimately both are products from good suppliers. Your choice your decision boss.
Most unlike you do not do much off roading in the entire life time of the vehicle even in a 4X4, the off roading that is done is actually just bad road patches - villages, going at high speed through potholes on highways, and over speed bumps, etc.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:53   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Parts costs - All equal
Nein! GV is typically 50% to 33% cheaper in parts vis most SUV's. Hyundai/Toyota pricing is reasonable. (Not if we go by 40K Toyota Tyre thread!!).

Typical GM parts are much more costly. Ford used to be like that but I do not know now for sure. Since GV shares heritage with SX4's many components are same and hence cheaper.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:55   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Nein! GV is typically 50% to 33% cheaper in parts vis most SUV's. Hyundai/Toyota pricing is reasonable. (Not if we go by 40K Toyota Tyre thread!!).

Typical GM parts are much more costly. Ford used to be like that but I do not know now for sure. Since GV shares heritage with SX4's many components are same and hence cheaper.
True actually reallized this as soon as I posted and had a relook, and was thinking about it while you posted back.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Most unlike you do not do much off roading in the entire life time of the vehicle even in a 4X4, the off roading that is done is actually just bad road patches - villages, going at high speed through potholes on highways, and over speed bumps, etc.
That is why my first question. Why you want 4x4 SUV.

Village roads and bad roads are handled by Innova with ease (or other 2x4 SUV's like most Safari's and Endy's). Go for 4x4 SUV if:
1. You have to show off - No comment
2. There is germ of off roading "keeda" inside you that you would like to satiate once in a while - Me Me Me!

(*Keeda hindi read for "insect in pit of stomach/heart")
Old 16th October 2009, 20:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Good part about both the SUVs being compared here is full time all wheel drive which is very helpful in securing better road grip and helps in fun to drive factor.
Old 17th October 2009, 01:57   #41
BHPian

okay here is one question.

which SUV can touch a speed of 200 kmph or close to it. i think teh pajero cant go above 140-150. and i think the outlander can go till 190?? so can the CRV i think. petrol--- diesel don't care. which is the SUV which is really really fasssst.

dont tell me about the X3 and what not. i am talking about the 20 lac bracket. top speed champ. 0-60 is not imp. touching double century and feeling safe while at it

Last edited by Caramelo : 17th October 2009 at 01:58.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of the current lot GV will almost get you there and feel planted at the same time. Done true (GPS) speed of 180 in GV2.0

The most planted SUV driven till date was the Subaru Forester, sadly no longer in supply unless you go second hand.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
okay here is one question.

which SUV can touch a speed of 200 kmph or close to it.
Most of the time when you say max speed, we have to push hard on the vehicle to get that speed and may be too less control or stable. I would like to get an answer, where I can get a max speed with out pushing too hard on vehicle and the vehicle is stable like driving at a 100 km/hr or so. This will help us to find a vehicle which is stable and practically run in higher speed with lot more control.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:56   #44
BHPian

I have been driving around in 2.4 GV for the past 5 days.

The main difference between the GV and the Fortuner is that fortuner is an Off-Roader whine GV is a Soft-Roader, so if u do go off-road often, you ought to stick with the fortuner but if ur mainly driving on road GV 2.4 is a great option.

The only department the fortuner probably takes the cake is that in the end its a Toyota and Gv is a Maruti which you do feel as you come in contact with the GV interiors.
other than that, the GV is very comfortable, very quick and nimble, iv been zipping around in the city as if im driving a saloon....0-165 is one of the quickest iv seen on an SUV and the breaking is quite responsive. drove it for 400+ km and the only complaint I have is the OEM speakers, trim and dash quality and the fact it drinks fuel if one pushes the car (does ok if driven sensibly). I rate it as a solid 7 on 10 overall.

The car is not with me now, and I missing driving around in it.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be for Fortuner else Captiva.Would provide better value as a diesel variants.

If you are particular about petrol version hen comes the Outlander followed by GV.
Better to stay away from X-trail having A.S.S in mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks