Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 00:59   #46
BHPian

i would give x trail more brownie points for having 6 airbags!! which none of the SUVs offer!

if only they had the diesel Mitsubishi out-lander.(i think they sell it in Europe) VW or Peugeot sourced engine. and its not refined so it not great deal, i saw one review online on youtube.

VFM SUVs are those which provide the goodies in terms of safety, comfort and convinence. all are mostly CBUs so prices are more or less. and you have to chose from them according to your needs.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:58   #47
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

On the speed with stability issue - within about 22L OTR

1) Captiva / GV / Outlander - 165 - 185
2) Fortuner / Endy - 150 - 165
3) Safari / Pajero - 140 -150
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:10   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
The main difference between the GV and the Fortuner is that fortuner is an Off-Roader whine GV is a Soft-Roader, so if u do go off-road often, you ought to stick with the fortuner but if ur mainly driving on road GV 2.4 is a great option.
Can you please elaborate on this? Since their 4x4 system is identical, I had assumed that their offroad performance would be very similar. I consider them both equally capable moderate offroaders. How did you classify GV as soft-roader and Fortuner as offroader?

Since Sudev has driven both vehicles offroad, he should be able to give better perspective.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd October 2009 at 15:18.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:59   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai:
Quote:
...fortuner is an Off-Roader whine GV is a Soft-Roader...
I could not really understand the whine so I left it. ;-)
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:04   #50
Team-BHP Support

Probably Fortuner whines while offroading. It usually means auto lock hubs are shot. My safari had faulty ones, and they used to whine
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Samurai:

I could not really understand the whine so I left it. ;-)
I think he meant 'while'
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:34   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I know Guna what he meant - but his "whine" after all that has been posted is best left for others to agree or dis-agree.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:53   #53
BHPian

ok ok...people can stop whining about the Whine in my prevous post, an honest typo there...

What i ment was with 215mm of minimum ground clearance and higher torque, the fortuner can go over or climb steeper inclines as compaired to the vitara. Vitara on the other hand has a minimum of 200mm of ground clearance and less torque so it will not be able to go to the same extent of off-road use.

A furtuner is a hardcore offroader, Vitara is a car that you can take off road but it is still a lot civilized in comparison, hence the softroader (cars that have the ability go offroad but are not equipped to handle hardcore terrain) tag.

TORQUE
Old 26th October 2009, 13:10   #54
Team-BHP Support

No amount of torque will help you if wheels dig in. Thats why very low powered machines like Gypsy(as compared to Landcruisers and fortuners) do better as they are light and do not dig in.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
What i ment was with 215mm of minimum ground clearance and higher torque, the fortuner can go over or climb steeper inclines as compaired to the vitara. Vitara on the other hand has a minimum of 200mm of ground clearance and less torque so it will not be able to go to the same extent of off-road use.
What is also important is the difference in the wheel base and the power to weight (or torque to weight) ratio. I suppose GV has shorter wheel base (and makes up for the marginal shortage in GC) and much lighter then fortuner. Does that change anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No amount of torque will help you if wheels dig in. Thats why very low powered machines like Gypsy(as compared to Landcruisers and fortuners) do better as they are light and do not dig in.
In fact sudden application of higher torque can make the wheel to loose traction more rapidly in slippery conditions.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:51   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

@torqued:

Not just power, wheel surface to loaded weight to tread pattern to ground clearance to breakover angle to max approach and departure angle to gear ratios to rev limit to low end torque to visibility to Max lean angle to articulation to...

List is endless and to this you can add variety of surface and conditions. Then and only then can we say which is better or worse.

Then other factors like looks, VFM etc.

My take. Fortuner is capable vehicle. May not be best but all around. And so is GV.

Most Viewed