Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 16:15   #1
BHPian

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi

Dad had booked the Ritz Zxi some weeks back and it finally arrived. Here's the story.

Chronology:

Wednesday (Aug 5): Got a call from the Maruti dealer that our car has arrived in the stockyard. I had already told him that I want to do a pre registration inspection so I will need to see that car *before* he sends it for registration to the RTO.
He had already given us the engine and chassis number as soon as he was informed of dispatch by Maruti so I thought that was a plus on his side and there would be minimal chances of trying a switcheroo on us. And since Ritz is a new model there would be very less chances of getting an older model (Also I knew the dispatch date).

He said that we had 2 options - either we could go to the stockyard or he would get the car to the showroom anyway so we could see it there.
We opted for the second option since the stockyard is very far away.

Thursday (Aug 6): Went to the dealer and saw our car standing there. Did a thorough visual inspection plus checked the engine and chassis number as well as most of the points mentioned in the pre reg inspection thread on team-BHP.

The odometer was connected and showed 27 KM which I thought was pretty reasonable since the stockyard is at least 20 km away.

I had seen on one of the threads that some chap got a non alloy 5th wheel with his Zxi, so I made sure to check the spare as well.

Talked with the sales guy and he said that the car would be registered the next day and we could pick it up by evening if we wanted to. I told him that I want to do a thorough inspection and would like to take delivery in the morning. He agreed to that.

Saturday (Aug 8): Went in the morning at around 11 o clock with family. Did the paperwork in terms of getting the insurance note, receipts etc.

The sales person called a maintenance supervisor over to give us a demo. It was fairly detailed and covered most of the points in the PDI checklist. I covered the remaining points on my own and noticed a small scratch on the rear bumper which he promised to take care of. Rest everything seemed ok. Note the stress on "seemed"!

After the photo session we took the car and filled in 5 litres petrol for which they had given a coupon.

I had decided to change the stock tyres from the existing JK tyres to Michelin XM1+ (Thanks to Nikhilb2008 for his help and advice). So off I went directly to the tyre shop.

Imagine my consternation when I saw that one of the tyre rims was slightly bent!!
And this despite my so called inspection!!

So I obviously didnt upgrade that tyre and instead kept it aside and showed it immediately to the Maruti dealer. He agreed that it looked like a manufacturing defect and asked me to come with the tyre on monday and get it replaced.

Now for the driving experience:

After driving a WagonR for almost 10 years and 800s before that, this car feels very different. As many have attested, the engine is super smooth and quiet and peppy as well.

Things I liked:
1. Feeling of space in the cabin
2. Engine smoothness. As Ada mentioned in his review, one needs to look at the tachometer to reassure oneself that the engine is indeed running
3. Have to really keep a light foot on the accelerator. Speeds of 80-90 kmph are reached effortlessly
4. The tyres are really good and inspire confidence while cornering (hmm or is this due to the Michelins?)
5. The gearshift is good and each gear falls into place properly. Only reverse seems a bit stubborn at times.
6. Driving position is very comfortable and the height adjustment lever is a boon.
7. The steering to handles well and isnt as light as some other cars. It does allow you to feel the road and hence feel more in control.
8. Quality of stock ICE is average but it didnt have any trouble playing a number of MP3 CDs I had burnt.
9. The looks are suprisingly appealing and even the rear which is everyone's favourite bugbear looks much better in real life than in photos and it has started growing on me already.

Things that could have been better:
1. Clutch seems a bit hard and has a lot of play. Might be a problem with just my car. Can other Ritz owners please provide feedback.
2. I dont know if its the ABS or something else, but braking occasionally produces a kind of groaning noise.
3. The headlights are a big let down. Though the front and rear fog lamps are a plus.
4. Where's the engine temperature gauge???
5. I would have preferred a regular fuel gauge than the digital one
6. The boot space or rather the lack of it (yeah I know, and I want the moon too!!)

Overall its a very good car and well worth the money spent. I think Maruti has a winner on its hands. Now time will tell whether it ages gracefully or develops issues (read rattles and squeaks)

One interesting thing I learnt from the sales person was that its the Petrol top end model which is more in demand than the Diesel variant.

Next steps:
  • Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize: I just got the rubber mats and mud flaps from the dealer.
  • Follow up with Maruti dealer to get the tyre replaced
  • Follow up with Maruti dealer to get the scratch touched up or bumper replaced
  • Check out the FE
Oops. I missed the color - Its "Silky Silver" as dreamt up by the Maruti marketing Guys!
Will post some photos soon.

Last edited by shreeps : 10th August 2009 at 16:25. Reason: forgot to add the car color
Old 10th August 2009, 16:22   #2
BHPian

Congrats Shreeps. Zxi Ritz is a fantastic VFM product. Hope you have a great drive. Please do post pictures. Also which colour is it?
Old 10th August 2009, 16:34   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Shree, if not for my wife's dissatisfaction about the rear seat comfort, i would have booked one. How do you feel is the ride comfort for the rear seat passengers?

Enjoy your drive.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Shreeps!! Do post some pics when you can! Enjoy the car and drive safe!
Old 10th August 2009, 16:52   #5
BHPian

Congrats dude !
Reading your review was enjoyable and I think Ritz Zxi is one of the best and VFM variant for a hatchback in the market right now. Do keep updated with details about the car.

And please do update in time about rattling issue in this Maruti, if you get it in near or far future. I was confused with i10 and Ritz sometime back but ended up taking i10, and my presumption that Ritz may rattle in future was one of the big reasons.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:58   #6
BHPian

Wellcome to Ritz Club!!

Congrats on Ritz. What colour? Please post the photos.

I have posted my initial driving experience in seperate thread. I agree with your observations regarding head light and reverse gear. After 1K km it should become smooth.

Drive safely!
Old 10th August 2009, 20:00   #7
BHPian

Congrats Friend. Ritz looks nice in silky silver. One of the best and a good VFM car (ZXI). Post some pics and Initial report soon.

Have fun, Drive safe.
Old 10th August 2009, 21:21   #8
BHPian

congrats on the Ritz! i assume the bent rim is an alloy wheel..? what are the accessories / mods planned ? have you thought of a tyre and rim upgrade to either 15" / 16" or 17" wheels..? i saw a silky silver with 17" rims in chrome and it looked mind blowing!
Old 11th August 2009, 08:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy. What colour. Really liked the look of the car in a few of their new colours.

During my short test drive i also felt a little uncomfortable with the placement of the clutch/brake/accelerator. Both of us who did the TD were having an aching ankle. Not sure why this happened. We also felt that the clutch was tight for a maruti (we both drive fiats and you know how hard its clutch is ) As you said, the engine is a gem. Its not like any of the earlier maruti engines. I'll say its a big leap forward.

Enjoy the car. Drive safe.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:12   #10
BHPian

Guys, thanks a lot for your wishes.

@balajird: Havent sat in the rear for too long but it definitely is a bit stiff and bouncy. But width wise its pretty good. 3 ladies were able to sit comfortable (and none of them was the thin kind )

@inferno: No rattling yet but its still early days. It does feel more solidly built than my earlier Wagon R though.

@cartech: I sure hope the reverse gear becomes better after first servicing. Did you feel any issues with the clutch?

@Sunilrj: yes it is an alloy wheel. Not planning for too many accessories or mods since the car will be primarily driven by my dad. So I won't increase the tyre size. I just changed the brand from JK to michelins. Just the usual sunfilm and seat covers. I may go in for reverse sensor and/or camera since there are a lot of kids in our colony and my dad's scared that someone will get run over. Due to the high rear window its difficult to see anything below a certain height.

@gemithomas: Thats a good point you brought up. I too felt the clutch to be a little hard compared to my Wagon R. Also missing is a dead pedal. That would have really helped.

As promised, here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0051.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0052.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0053.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0055.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0062.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0057.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0064.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0079.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0084.jpg  

Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-img_0092.jpg  

Old 11th August 2009, 14:37   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the pics Shree, the car looks cool, please be careful while opening the rear doors as the door design is a bit awkward and you might get hurt in your face. Kindly check the other RITZ threads where this was discussed. one of our fellow member even reported a chipped tooth due to this. :(
Old 11th August 2009, 14:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks futuristic, and beautiful in Silky Silver.
Old 11th August 2009, 14:59   #13
BHPian

The spare alloy looks to be damaged,or am I seeing something.
Attached Thumbnails
Took Delivery of New Maruti Ritz Zxi-alloy.jpg  

Old 11th August 2009, 15:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Shreeps, congrats!@ Nice looking car. How much did you pay for the Michelins and how much did you get for the stock tyres?
Old 11th August 2009, 15:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
The spare alloy looks to be damaged,or am I seeing something.
My guess the Tire shop might have damaged the rim during the tire swap..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks