Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story

Hi,
My first report on TBHP. Thanks @mods for approving my membership.
Got my car delivered on 7th Aug on my daughter's first birthday - a day to remember.

It was Friday evening and at Concorde motors, diary circle Bangalore the office was getting ready to close. Mr. Syed Jamal (Team lead at Concorde motors) had already called twice to find my whereabouts. Initial I planned to take the delivery of the car on 16th and kept the saleperson informed. But when Syed said he is sending the vehicle for registeration on firday morning and by 4pm evening i can take the car, I could not hold my excitment. So that was the day.

The car was kept clean and ready. I could not get enough time to look at each and every feature for the emotion version before driving off. But there was Paul (forgot his TBHP Username, end with leo) and my bro doing some inspection.

Signed some paperwork, quick puja and at 7PM on 7th Aug at 25KM reading on odo I drove off in brand new (first) car with my wife and daughter to the Koramangala Ganesha temple for extra blessings.

To this day I have clocked around 1050KM. Around 300KM was on Blore - tumkur high way.
Few problems I see are
1. Have not got the mud flaps & floor mats. Its diffcult to manage in blore rains. Not offered them has freebies.
2. The vehicle tends to move to the left at all speeds - wheel alignment?
3. Driving at night is difficult with the preconfigured headlight adjustment. Seem like the light range is too short. need to drive it at 0 point.
4. High Engine sound on highway. I was drive at 70 - 90 km/h speed.
5. Simple things are neglected at the time of delivery like under the steering there was big gap between the fittings. it was not closed properly. Had to go the dealer again for small jobs during office hours
6. There was water leakage and the service attribute it to AC after a week of its usage.

Close encounters:
1. A bike fellow scratched the left side mirror on day 1 in bangalore traffice. I have kept it closed from then.
2. Car taking a right turn just kissed the right side cornor gaurd with a minor scratch.
3. Had scratches again on the front near the right fogs lamps while taking a narrow left turn. The road was dug up badly.

Others:
Have used 15 litres of India Oil, tank full of (38 liters) of HP normal diesel and is now filled with a tank full of (38 Liters) shell diesel.
On first take: I found Indian Oil very smooth compared to others.
Manual says around 7 litres of reserve. Not sure whether this is from the red marked fuel level indicator or at the base of the fuel mark or at point when the "Low fuel warning" light glows. All three are different points.

I am getting 13.2 Km/l in city and seen 18.4KM/l on highway.

I seems to end up with lugging at 1st & 2nd gears in Diesel cars. Any suggestion for improving my driving style

Just read in other thread about the Instanteanous Consumption would help improving the driving style. This value should high when driving right?

Still have not got any seat cover on. Still searching the TBHP threads for it.

Will add more, Happy motoring.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st August 2009 at 19:06. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules thoroughly before proceeding further, thanks
Old 21st August 2009, 14:58   #2
BHPian

Hey DiVX, congrats on ur ride.

Having fun surely I guess!

Anyways, will post a imp pic later,but today while doing a early morning Airport shift i got a mileage of 29kmpl round trip . Now beat that !
Old 21st August 2009, 15:03   #3
BHPian

For Head Lights I can suggest to please check if you have moved them to High Beam or not. By Default Punto switches on Light in Low Beam. You can switch to High Beam by lifting the left lever towards up near you steering.
You can confirm if the car is in High Beam & in Console panel you will see a Bright Blue Light indicator ON
Old 21st August 2009, 15:07   #4
BANNED

congrats divx

is it emotion or emotion pack?
Old 21st August 2009, 15:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Divx! Some pics would be appreciated....

Couple of things:
1. Since your car is moving towards left while driving, get the Wheel Alignment done, if possible at: Madhus, near Richmond circle. (Madhus.com)
2. Drive with the side-view mirrors pushed out, it definitly helps while taking reverse, turns, changing lanes etc.
Don't worry about scratches etc, it is bound to happen in city traffic.
Old 21st August 2009, 16:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
For Head Lights I can suggest to please check if you have moved them to High Beam or not. By Default Punto switches on Light in Low Beam. You can switch to High Beam by lifting the left lever towards up near you steering.
You can confirm if the car is in High Beam & in Console panel you will see a Bright Blue Light indicator ON
I guess the problem is with the Low beam itself. I will also be getting it adjusted during the first service. The low beam throw is a bit too close for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
congrats divx

is it emotion or emotion pack?
It is a Emotion.

DivX, where are the pics? I remember taking quite a few
Old 21st August 2009, 17:59   #7
BHPian

Dude, do take care of the baby.. drive patiently, you would anyways reach your destination.
Old 21st August 2009, 18:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!
As suggested drive with side-view mirrors pushed out. No point in having them if you are not using them and in city traffic i feel they are damn helpful.

Mileage is a bit low as compared to others. Is it your first diesel car?
If so then maybe you are not use to of extracting the best out of a diesel.

Engine sound is like that only in diesels. Still check in another punto if you get the same level of noise.
Enjoy the drive
Old 21st August 2009, 18:18   #9
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divx View Post
Hi,

Close encounters:
1. A bike fellow scratched the left side mirror on day 1 in bangalore traffice. I have kept it closed from then.
Boss,you got to open those mirrors. they are to be used to avoid further damage on the on side
Old 21st August 2009, 20:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divx View Post
Not sure whether this is from the red marked fuel level indicator or at the base of the fuel mark or at point when the "Low fuel warning" light glows.
The point where low fuel level warning comes on is the beginning of reserve AFAIK. Your mileage is bound to improve with time and particularly after first service. You seem to be getting into lots of close encounters buddy. Take Care about that.
Old 21st August 2009, 21:07   #11
BHPian

Congrats buddy on your new car. Please post some pics of your car. I think most of the new cars will have small amount of niggles, which can be sorted as you run in. Be cautious with all the traffic. They seem to be getting attracted towards your car. Anyway Happy and Safe driving .
Old 22nd August 2009, 05:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man.

Why don't you use the turbo - its just a matter of getting used to - you should manage better mileage than that! Try different styles for your daily route and then see!
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:27   #13
BHPian

+1 to phamilyman

lugging the engine could be dangerous for the engine life.make sure you engage the turbo and then upshift
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your Punto. I went to check it out coz the looks make the car irresistible. but I was highly disappointed with the rear seat space. I'm sure you've seen that and overridden that aspect.
What colour is your car?
Old 24th August 2009, 15:51   #15
BHPian

Thanks a lot People.
Attaching few pics here. Will upload lot more to gallery later.

This Saturday I got the WA done at Concorde Diary Circle, Bangalore. Initial test drive should the problem was fixed.. Later that evening went to Nandi hills. I checked the WA, but the issue still remains.
This is how I tested - I just take off my hand from steering for about 15 to 30 sec while maintaining a constant speed of 60km/h. Is this the right way to test?
Will get it check at Madhus next time. If Concorde fix this problem again at the first service, it would great, but I have already lost hopes on them,.

Also got the seat covers done at Car Plaza for 6.5K on sunday. Thanks for the suggestion @Aqualeo. The material is called crush leather (Art Leather). Did not get time to take some pics of it though. Will post it later.

@phamilyman: City driving I am trying to get into higher gears as often as possible but still keeping the rmp below 2K. I need to learn the art of kicking the turbo at this rpm.

Also notice some black dust on the tyre covers on the front. My bro-in-law mentioned that it was due to incorrect breaking while descending the Nandhi hills. I was in 3rd gear most of the time, but not sure whether I have used the clutch heavily. What should have I done here?

@NutsNBolts: You are right. The manual confirms this.

@harry10: Yes, This is my first car and that too diesel. Lots to learn and long way to go

Will start using the mirror for sure
Attached Thumbnails
Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story-dscn1864.jpg  

Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story-dscn1863.jpg  

Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story-dscn1862.jpg  

Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story-dscn1861.jpg  

Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story-dscn1833.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks