Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 23:49   #1

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures

Getz story:
4 months back when I saw the ad in newspaper that Getz CRDI is being offered at 4.99 lakhs, I knew that this car is going to be out to production very soon. And then I started thinking whether I should trade my i10 1.1 with Getz CRDI or wait for i20 diesel. From my i10 buying experience I knew that i20 diesel will initially be overpriced and will be around 7.5-8 lakhs on-road in Bangalore. Then I thought I’ve got one life to live and finally took the plunge. I traded my i10 with Getz. I got 3.20 lakh for my 1.5 years old i10 1.1.
I bought Getz from Trident Hyundai, Hosur Road. Dealership experience was good. I didn’t do any PDC. Since I selected white colour, the car was ready for delivery in 2 days. It took 3 days for HDFC loan approval process. Car is 2009 model. Didn’t get any freebies from dealer except mats.

Colour:
I wanted to select Earth Grey colour but the sales guy told me that the colour is no longer available. I did a survey of colours in my company’s parking lot and found out the out of around 100 cars only 5 had white colour. Also on road I see few private cars having white colour. Besides white colour is easy to maintain and scratch and swirl marks are not easily visible. In Bangalore it is very difficult to keep car scratch proof. I like white colour as the car looks elegant, personal view.

ICE:
Sony CDX GT484US/CIN with USB.
JBL composite speakers on front doors.
Normal Sony speakers on rear doors.
Entire ICE setup costed Rs. 14, 000 and got it installed at dealership.

Security:
Cobra. Installed at dealership. Don’t remember the price.

Seat cover:
Fabric. Fabguard brand. Dark grey matching dashboard. Rs. 2312.

Tyres:
Bridgestone Turanza ER60 175/65 R14. Got Rs. 8,000 for 5 stock tyres.
Turanza costed Rs. 12,000 for 5 tyres.

Headlights:
Hella Relay (Rs. 600)
Narva 100/90 (Rs. 400 for 2 bulbs)

Horn:
Bosch Symphony (Rs. 500)

Tints:
3M RE-35 (4 doors and rear window) Rs. 2845
3M CR-70 (Front windshield) Rs. 4889

First Servicing:
Free. Didn’t change oil. Still running on company filled oil. Service engineer told me to change oil at 5000 KM. Current Odo reading is 3000 KM.

Mileage:
14-15 in city and 19-20 on highway.
Race Dynamics XM400:
It took me almost a month to decide whether to go for Pete's or RD. I then met Karthik of RD and took a test drive of his Swift and I immediately decided to go for RD. Guys at RD are really doing a great job. Others reasons for considering RD was:
1)Box can be fitted with any diesel car.
2)4 modes available.
3)Settings can be selected on the fly.

I installed the box 10 days back. Installation took 30 mins. Most of the time was spent deciding where to place the box. We then decided to place the box above the fuse box. After the installation we took the car for test run. We selected P2 setting and the difference was felt immediately. It was like someone took a big hammer and hit the car with full force from behind For the first time the engine touched 4500 RPM. Torque has increased beyond imagination.

P1 mode:
Best mode for city driving. In-gear acceleration has improved significantly and frequent down shifting is not required. Turbo kicks in at 1200 RPM, although low. The mad torque rush starts at 1500 RPM and then the fun starts. Car moves very fast that it becomes difficult to keep an eye on both road and Tachometer. Torque keeps on increasing and there is no end to it. Torque can be felt coming in linear way. Overall the engine becomes eager to be revved and also the engine noise reduces. Overtaking buses and cars are a breeze. Just a gentle push on accelerator and I see them way behind in rear view mirror. It’s a lot of fun to drive in P1 mode.

P2 mode:
Not using as the tires are inadequate to control the power.

S mode: Will no longer be using it.

E mode:
Today I tested it on NH7. I filled 40 liter normal diesel and went for 225 kms drive with E mode being selected 90% of the drive. Noticeable drop in power but car cruises happily at 80-100 with 1500-1800 RPM on Tachometer. While going uphill I noticed that car was making effort to climb. Then I switched to P1 mode and suddenly I felt power coming into the engine. After reaching uphill I again switched to E mode. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the E mode I’ll let you know next week how many kms I’ve driven in 40 liters. I’ll soon be going on 300 kms drive again to Mysore on 1st October.

It is only 10 days since I’m using this box. I need some more time to understand and grow up with the box .
I’m using K&N filter and the improvement in performance can be felt as compared to stock filter.

I need some suggestion as to which tires I should upgrade to. I’m running on 5.5J rims.
Attached Thumbnails
My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-getz-1.jpg  

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-getz-2.jpg  

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-getz-3.jpg  

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-xm4001.jpg  

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-xm4002.jpg  

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-xm4003.jpg  

My Getz CRDI with Race Dynamics XM400 Edit: updated with 0-60, 0-100 figures-xm4004.jpg  

Old 29th September 2009, 00:42   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Wow nice review there furman! A few questions

1. How much did the RD box cost ?

2. Can be used in other diesel cars means ? generic map for all cars ? or if we change the car then the new maps need to be uploaded.

3. did you observe any smoke after the RD box ?

4. And O.T, I didn't see the ENGINE cover!?

5. Whats the S mode ? Sports mode ?
Old 29th September 2009, 00:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another rocket!!! Congrats on the ride dude

Couple of suggestions, first being the ICE- you would have learnt by now from our ICE section that Sony is no-no here. Consider selling it, and going for atleast a Pio.

As you are on stock rims, go for 185 profile tyres- anything higher will be an overkill. If you are going for alloys, get atleast a 6J and choose a 195 profile tyre. My rocket is running 195/55 R15 Yokohama S.Drives (check out my ownership thread...)- but the ride wont be as soft as it is on stock if you fo up to 15". Tyres- Michelin XM1+/ Yoko A. Drives / Michelin PP2 / Yoko S.Drives...

Like aZa mentioned, the engine cover is missing? Did you remove it, or did it come without? I too bought the rocket for 4.99 ex, and it has the cover...

@aZa- S is for Standard mode, the stock setting like it would be without the 'box

Last edited by ph03n!x : 29th September 2009 at 00:59.
Old 29th September 2009, 01:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Are you not worried about warranty .
Congrats .

PS : S mode should have been ideally "Superman Mode", just fly .
Old 29th September 2009, 10:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude. Welcome to the Rocket Hatch Club. Two queries .
1. I would like to know about the cost of the RD XM400
2. Are you sure that the same box can be used in other diesel cars ?
Old 29th September 2009, 10:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Like aZa mentioned, the engine cover is missing? Did you remove it, or did it come without? I too bought the rocket for 4.99 ex, and it has the cover...

@aZa- S is for Standard mode, the stock setting like it would be without the 'box
the cover def looks like it has been taken off for the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Are you not worried about warranty .
Congrats .

PS : S mode should have been ideally "Superman Mode", just fly .
This my only worry about the RD unit, its not as easy to install like the petes and may a time the competent Service advisors also wont notice the petes box unless pointed out.

It takes 15 mins to install or remove . and Most of the time is taken for removal install of the engine cover.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:01   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the GETZ Crdi and the RD Box. I heard that RD is quite cheap compared to the Pete's box.

Is there an option for putting more aggresive maps? Is it easy to uninstall before giving for service?

I think S mode means "Stock".
Old 29th September 2009, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

What is your 0-100?
I think you should remove the plastic cover of the box.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:38   #9
BHPian

Hi,
For how long have you had the box?

Shyam
Old 29th September 2009, 13:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
What is your 0-100?
i would let that plastic stay there to assist in the water repellent capabilities of the box. But thats me
Old 29th September 2009, 13:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
i would let that plastic stay there to assist in the water repellent capabilities of the box. But thats me
It is not just you it is even Sanjay of RD
Old 29th September 2009, 15:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Furman on getting the RD box. Its like adding more fire to already fastly burning flames

I use a Pete's Box since last 10K kms and totally happy with its outcome. Like everyone is asking, share the details of cost and a little more description of all modes. Does it really make a difference from mode to mode? I think 4 modes is a bit too much, 2 would be more like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
It is very much obvious these pictures were taken while installation was taking place. As you remove the engine cover and connect the wires to the injectors. Furman, clarify the same please

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
No, you should not. Even I have the pete box covered with plastic since it protects from washing the engine bay, rain water, dust etc.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Is it hard enough to put the RD box inside the car ,inside dash or below the glove box ,screwed up below glove box ,something like that ?. Some how don't like that expensive stuff to be exposed like that .
Old 29th September 2009, 17:41   #14
BHPian

@Furman - Congrats on the getz. Couple of points to ask you though.
1) Considering that you changed tires, why didnt you upsize? The getz is severely under tired for that engine, and without abs its a bit of a problem.

2) Since you didnt upsize, is all the excessive power from the tuning box really that safe? Will you actually be able to utilize the box's powers to the maximum on a car that is not going to handle that well on the 175s?

3) And lastly, why didnt you consider the petes box, since you have mentioned that you wont be using 2 out of the 4 modes available on the RD?
Old 29th September 2009, 20:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Wow nice review there furman! A few questions

1. How much did the RD box cost ?

2. Can be used in other diesel cars means ? generic map for all cars ? or if we change the car then the new maps need to be uploaded.

3. did you observe any smoke after the RD box ?

5. Whats the S mode ? Sports mode ?
Hi aZa,
Four modes are available in XM400:
A. Stock - Works like original map.
B. Economy - Enhanced economy mode, can deliver upto 20 % more economy.
C. Performance 1 - Increase power and torque by upto 10%.
D. Performance 2 - Increase power and torque by upto 25%.

1) I got the box installed at RD workshop, Jakksandra, Bangalore. I paid online at .:. Motodesk.com: India's only and comprehensive portal for Auto performance and lifestyle products. In fact I'm the first customer to buy the box online. Price details are available there.
2) The box comes with generic map and it can be used in any diesel car. Map doesn't have to be changed if the car is changed. Although the connectors might have to change. Map can be reset if the box is used in another car. Aggressive maps are also available.
3) There is absolutely no smoke in P1 setting. In P2 setting there was some smoke. I then changed the stock filter with K&N and now there is no smoke in P2 mode. I've to install FFE to get ultimate performance in P2 setting.
4) I removed the engine cover to clean the engine. Once a month i clean the entire engine and engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Couple of suggestions, first being the ICE- you would have learnt by now from our ICE section that Sony is no-no here. Consider selling it, and going for atleast a Pio.

As you are on stock rims, go for 185 profile tyres- anything higher will be an overkill. If you are going for alloys, get atleast a 6J and choose a 195 profile tyre. My rocket is running 195/55 R15 Yokohama S.Drives (check out my ownership thread...)- but the ride wont be as soft as it is on stock if you fo up to 15". Tyres- Michelin XM1+/ Yoko A. Drives / Michelin PP2 / Yoko S.Drives...

Point noted about Sony. Will change it after i change tires. Right now I'm saving money for tires and alloys. I've already made a mistake by selecting 175/65 R14 Very soon I'll start my hunt for 6J alloys and go 195 profile tyres. I need atleast 195 profile to control the additional power. Will make a wise decision after consulting you guys. I removed the engine cover to clean the engine from outside. It is back at its place

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2009 at 13:15. Reason: Fixing font tags. Please don't cut-copy-paste from other word softwares, it results in a formatting error

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks