Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 08:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congratulations mate, great car. Sure has tonnes of road presence!!

One thing am confused about is, one of your requirement was a 4X4. But, I think Captiva is an all wheel drive and not what you would call a 4X4. Or is it a true 4X4 one? with the low ratio gear box and the works?
Thanks.
Well, it has on demand 4 X 4 (not a true 4 X 4 like Pajero, GV or Fortuner). I'll put it to test in near future. I'm not going to do any serious off-roading but I heard somewhere it's better over 4 X 2 (it provides more traction, hence safer) especially when you're visiting various mountains where roads are not the best. Since, I visit these areas a lot, hence the decision.
Old 9th October 2009, 08:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Testosterone, congrats on your car. Its a great car with good power and the auto tranny will keep the turbo lag blues away.

Have fun!
Old 9th October 2009, 09:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate, that's a great buy. I've always thought the Captiva had great road presence & the recent price cut has made it good VFM. If only they had a 4L option!

And that's a good analysis on the buying experience as well - do I gather that the middle row comfort is not that good? Is it only lack of under-thigh support or something else as well?
Old 9th October 2009, 11:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Congrats mate, that's a great buy. I've always thought the Captiva had great road presence & the recent price cut has made it good VFM. If only they had a 4L option!

And that's a good analysis on the buying experience as well - do I gather that the middle row comfort is not that good? Is it only lack of under-thigh support or something else as well?
Thanks Suman. I was also thinking about the same (4L option) but then you can't get a prefect vehicle at a perfect price at least in India!
Well, the middle row comfort is not bad. I was expecting higher comfort levels of CRV but it was tad below than that. It's just the lack of proper thigh support, nothing else. Shoulder room is very good though.
Old 9th October 2009, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Excellent Dude! Congratulations and Jubilations on your new vehicle. The thing about this forum is that you get to meet like minded people. Glad to see that you didnt go for the Honda badge and saw the value of the car rather than the brand. Do update on your first service in regards to the quality and professionalism(or lack of it) from Padam motors service bay.
Old 9th October 2009, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

A decision well taken. Congratulations on your new Captiva. Nothing like a big SUV with a diesel engine and to top it all Automatic transmission. I wouldnt really compare the X Trail with this since there is quite a substancial price difference between the two if I'm not wrong. Do keep updating this thread with your ownership experience and GM service. I guess you have the popular Chevrolet promise on this.

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Many many congrates buddy!!! i think its a wise decison, instead of going gaga over Fortuner. I know the turbo lag issue very well coz i run the same engine. its very painfull in bumper to bumper traffic. i did TD of captiva and captiva AT 160bhp (not the one which is available in India) which is available internationally, AT was much better even in traffic. Captiva manual felt just like my Magnum when compared the turbolag issue, i am wondering what exactly VCD is doing?
Old 9th October 2009, 12:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
A decision well taken. Congratulations on your new Captiva. Nothing like a big SUV with a diesel engine and to top it all Automatic transmission. I wouldnt really compare the X Trail with this since there is quite a substancial price difference between the two if I'm not wrong. Do keep updating this thread with your ownership experience and GM service. I guess you have the popular Chevrolet promise on this.

Drive safe.
Thanks and yes, I was also considering X-Trail (excellent piece of engineering) but I decided against it because of 2 reasons: (1) Lack of Service in my area, the nearest point of Pushpanjili Motors in New Delhi (2) Very Expensive Spares (My brother in law owns one and is fed up with high cost of spare parts and delay in replacing them). Before buying this vehicle, I spend good 30-40 minutes with VMN Rao (GM Service) to discuss various things that need to be done for smooth experience. I will definitely update my ownership experience with all of you with the passage of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Many many congrates buddy!!! i think its a wise decison, instead of going gaga over Fortuner. I know the turbo lag issue very well coz i run the same engine. its very painfull in bumper to bumper traffic. i did TD of captiva and captiva AT 160bhp (not the one which is available in India) which is available internationally, AT was much better even in traffic. Captiva manual felt just like my Magnum when compared the turbolag issue, i am wondering what exactly VCD is doing?
Thanks.
True. I also wish to know what VCD is there for? But as I remarked earlier I found considerable difference between Manual and Auto version. The turbo lag problem was solved to considerable extent in LTZ version. In fact, it's easy to drive in city traffic too!
Old 9th October 2009, 14:40   #24
BHPian

Congrats on your new baby. How is the ICE? Does it have USB and AUX in. Planned for any upgrades. GM should have given reverse camera with touch screen like in Ford Endeavour. I think the mileage will definitely improve in future.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey congratulations on your captiva, cool buy after price reduction and looks good too.Have always loved the captiva's road presence and diesel one does makes sense with all wheel drive.Keep updating and enjoy your ride.If you can do post its middle and last row seats pictures.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:15   #26
BHPian

The music system is a very good one. No match for RF (Outlander) but better than Fortuner. It lacks USB but has AUX in. I'll be going for sensors on both sides alongwith rear view camera coupled with All New Ford Endeavour type of unit that will provide comprehensive infotainment. To round everything up, I'm looking for Panoramic Sunroof from Webasto.
Attached Thumbnails
My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-captiva-ici.jpg  

Last edited by 1-Testosterone : 9th October 2009 at 15:22.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:20   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool choise. Well thought out decision. the selection process that you have documented should help others who are looking for drivability in a 7 seater SUV at about 20L.

congrats.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ,it looks great ,especially in this colour.!

Happy Driving.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 9th October 2009 at 15:38.
Old 9th October 2009, 16:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Is GM started to get the knocked-down kits and assemble captiva here? Bcs I remember they mentioning that the price would be in 16L region once they do that. If that's not yet done, then there are chances for further reduction?

Slightly off-topic.

GM launches all leaves a gap.

For eg:

Aveo - if only it had diesel
Captiva - If only it had 4WD

Does it show they have not done proper homework before launch? Or thats there way of operation?
Old 9th October 2009, 16:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
The music system is a very good one. No match for RF (Outlander) but better than Fortuner. It lacks USB but has AUX in. I'll be going for sensors on both sides alongwith rear view camera coupled with All New Ford Endeavour type of unit that will provide comprehensive infotainment. To round everything up, I'm looking for Panoramic Sunroof from Webasto.
Are you talking about the in-dash sat-nav unit of Endeavour ? If so, then what happens to the in dash electronic display that shows mileage, outside temperature etc ?

Most Viewed