Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 20:48   #1
BHPian

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White

First things first - Big thanks to this community. Before joining this community I did not even know the meaning of BHP, Suspension or Torque! I learnt more things from this community in past 1 year than my entire 10 years! So I assume, as per as my needs, I made a correct decision.

My 1st car ever was Indica Turbo DLG bought way back in October 2005. I remember it was the best car I would buy for 4 lac rupees at that point of time.
Around 1 year back, I started exploring new options. My needs were:

1. Powerful Diesel Motor
2. Seven Seater
3. Comfort
4. Equipment
5. Budget of 18-23L
6. Safety
7. 4 X 4

After countless studies, I narrowed down to following:

1. Endeavour 4 X 4
2. Pajero 4 X 4
3. Captiva 4 X 4
4. Fortuner 4 X 4
5. X-Trail 4 X 4 (Although 5 seater but nonetheless, great vehicle)

Right from the outset of Auto Expo 2008, I waited for new SUV's like Fortuner, Santa FE and Captiva. While the former 2 never arrived, I drove Captiva LT (Manual). It impressed me a lot but somehow I didn't have enough $$ at that point of time to buy one. Endeavour was not comfortable and later on after I joined these forums, I came to know about the rear leaf springs suspension issue. Again I waited after hearing that new Fortuner was around the corner. Ditto for Endeavour. After the launch of Fortuner and Endeavour, I test drove both of them and my mind went for Fortuner since after I came to know the shortcomings of the following vehicles:

Endeavour - Lack of comfort and ride quality.
Pajero - Decade old model, Dated looks, lack of refinement.
X-Trail - Poor A.S.S. and very high cost of spares.

Captiva LT at that point of time was automatically went off since being a CBU that pricing went up the roof (19.XX for LT and 21.XX for LTZ variant). I booked Fortuner (through Castle Toyota) on August 25 (1 day after the launch) and I was promised the delivery in the last week of October.

But destiny had other ideas! - Somewhere in this forum itself, it was mentioned Chevy is offering generous discounts on Captiva (both variants) but their official site was unchanged. I called on Padam Motors (Ludhiana) immediately and they refused! I told them to confirm once again with GM - Pune and to my delight, they confirmed the price reduction. Without any delay, I requested them for TD of Captiva LTZ (Auto) and after a 30 Km test drive, I found out the differences between LT and LTZ were significant ones. In short, I liked it over any other vehicle in this segment and found it extremely good value for money SUV.

I cancelled the delivery of Fortuner immediately since I found Captiva LTZ more safer and refined; + it had good Auto transmission and driving was effortless. IMHO, for ON-ROADING, Captiva LTZ seems to be a better choice than Fortuner. Captiva LTZ being 80K dearer than Fortuner, had some major advantages like Automatic Transmission, ESP (Traction Control, HBA, HDC, ARP) and Disc Brakes on all wheels. I booked one straightaway and I was promised the delivery within 20 days.

The big day arrived myself, along with my brother went all the way to Ludhiana for the vehicle at around 10 A.M. I had quite a long chat with service personal there and he made me aware of all the important points. I also met one guy over there who owned a Captiva and he gave me some good hints. Overall, he had very good experience with this vehicle (apart from turbo lag). He advised me to upgrade the tyres ASAP. OEM tyres were Hankook 235 R17 and I upgraded to KUMHO 255 R17. After upgrade, I noticed further increase in comfort levels and according to him, the cornering ability of the vehicle also improves with these new tyres.

Positives:
1. Brilliant Diesel Engine.
2. Good Ride Quality.
3. Automatic transmission with Tiptronic.
4. 8 Way Electric-Adjusted Driver Seat.
5. Good Interiors, Excellent Overall Fit and Finish.
6. Best Safety Features in its class – ESP (TC, HDC and HBA)
7. Most Competitive Pricing of all Diesel Soft Roaders.
8. Cheaper Spares (for a CBU) in its class.
9. Virtually noiseless with windows closed, Zero vibrations felt inside cabin.

Negatives:

1. Non-Reclining Middle and Last Row of seats.
2. No Rear Parking Sensors/Camera.
3. Low Average - Highway - 11; City 8
4. Lack of thigh support for the middle seats.
5. In adequate OEM Tires (Hankook 235 R17) .
1-Testosterone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2009, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

COngarts,
Might be the first Captiva in T-Bhp.
I too had an idea to buy this beauty.
I TDed and really loved it looks, like a grown Spark in all angles and features.
But bought Linea.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 8th October 2009, 21:33   #3
BHPian

Congrats,

Captiva is a great car, dont know about others but i prefer it anyday over the Fortuner or CRV. Nice looks and a good engine with a good output power.

Best wishes. Dont forget to show the pics.
Old 8th October 2009, 21:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats dude!

I've always loved the captiva for it's looks though I've never travelled/driven it.

cheers

Please post pics
Old 8th October 2009, 21:47   #5
BHPian

Here are some pictures. I will post pictures taken in dark later.
Attached Thumbnails
My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-1.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-2.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-3.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-4.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-5.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-6.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-7.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-8.jpg  

My New Chevrolet Captiva LTZ - Pearl White-9.jpg  

1-Testosterone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2009, 22:19   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the ownership of the Captiva.

Exactly in March on the 17th I had been to Mumbai with a few friends in a Captiva LT and on the way back one of us wanted to see the X Trail.

None of us liked the X trail.

We had already taken trials for other SUVs like the CRV, Endeavour and Pajero, but each one had its own reasons not to be possessed by us.

We on the way back to Pune called Pashankar Auto in Pune and asked his representative to be in our office by 7.15 pm. We made a deal for two cars with him, he got us a hefty good discount, and delivered both the vehicles on the 19th March 2009

And now we have 4 Captiva's among our friend circle.

It's a value for money SUV...
Prakash Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2009, 22:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations 1-testosterone for this. Captiva is a great value after recent reduction in price. It is loaded with features and interiors are of high quality. The inability to move/recline middle seat is a bummer but nothing that one can't live with. Do keep us updated with your experience of Captiva.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on purchase of Captiva. Thats a wonderful car.

Drive safe and enjoy the drive.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

From what you've written, you did not consider the Outlander. Apparently it's the best of the lot, save for the lack of a diesel engine. But I suppose it was alright, considering you're unhappy with an FE of 8 even in a big, heavy A/T SUV !!

Anyway, congratulations on a fantastic decision. The Captiva is one great looker, infact I have no problems in admitting IMO it's the best looking urban SUV in the 20L segment. Especially since I've always hated the looks of the Fortuner to the core ever since I saw it first a couple of years back in DXB. The interiors of the Captiva too are very inviting and not dull / badly designed like some other cars which are good looking on the exterior only. Moreover, a lot of people who consider the Captiva don't buy it only because of the badge (now that the Fortuner's here, no point in elaborating on this).

Wish you a very happy journey with your new acquisition, and please keep us updated on your services, maintenance and upkeep costs.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th October 2009 at 22:47.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Nice choice of color. I love it looks. Have seen one with low profile tyres and bigger alloys. Looked great.

How's the turbo lag difference when you compare with the geared one? And how much did the tyre cost? Didnt know this came with 17's. And this is a 7 seater ? If so can you post pix of the last row?
Old 8th October 2009, 22:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy your excellent car aka SUV. It is one of best product of Chevrolet. The same captiva is sold as Daewoo WindStorm in Korea.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
From what you've written, you did not consider the Outander. Apparently it's the best of the lot, save for the diesel engine.

Anyway, congratulations on a fantastic decision. The Captiva is one great looker, infact I have no problems in admitting IMO it's the best looking urban SUV in the 20L segment. Especially since I've always hated the looks of the Fortuner to the core ever since I saw it first a couple of years back in DXB. The interiors of the Captiva too are very inviting and not dull / badly designed like some other cars which are good looking on the exterior only. Moreover, a lot of people who consider the Captiva don't buy it only because of the badge (now that the Fortuner's here, no point in elaborating on this).

Wish you a very happy journey with your new acquisition, and please keep us updated on your services, maintenance and upkeep costs.
Thanks buddy.
I was looking for diesel 7 seater, hence the decision. I guess the running costs with Outlander would have on the higher side. Also, from what I've heard, Mitsubishi Outlander spares cost a fortune. As for the badge value, I really don't care mush as long as product is good, tried and tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
How's the turbo lag difference when you compare with the geared one? And how much did the tyre cost? Didnt know this came with 17's. And this is a 7 seater ? If so can you post pix of the last row?
Turbo lag problem is relatively eased with Auto transmission as I test drove both LT and LTZ back to back. KUMHO Ecsta STX 255 R17 costed me around 10,000 per tyre. Yes, it's a 7 seater and the last row is best for kids/short persons (like every SUV - with the exception of Audi Q7!)

Last edited by 1-Testosterone : 8th October 2009 at 23:03.
Old 9th October 2009, 00:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Testosterone for your stunning new Captiva, After price reductions Captiva is now very good value for money and a very good alternative option. Being a Softroader on road dynamics are better than Fortuner.
Old 9th October 2009, 00:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. White is nice color, except when cleaning the car

Happy driving.
Old 9th October 2009, 00:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations mate, great car. Sure has tonnes of road presence!!

One thing am confused about is, one of your requirement was a 4X4. But, I think Captiva is an all wheel drive and not what you would call a 4X4. Or is it a true 4X4 one? with the low ratio gear box and the works?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks