Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:10   #16
BHPian

@ravveendrra: +1000

You stole the words out of my mouth. On the handling aspect, I have taken my car deep into Uttaranchal many times, and the way it pirouettes around apexes on sharp terms belies the car's class and price.

But your words have got me thinking: topping the GTX experience is likely to burn a huge hole in my pocket. So I plan never to replace the GTX, but buy another vehicle as a 'support car'.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 22nd October 2009 at 21:11.
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:16   #17
BANNED

Bravo, Ravveendrra, great conclusion, even 1.2 I was driving was very good in most of the departments and Fe was never a issue.
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Doc, congrats on your Cruze and sad to see that GTX go.
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:24   #19
BHPian

Driving a GTX for the last 6 years for 65 k odd kms , I would concur with raveendra and Dr Sunil, its a perfect man machine combination.

Raveendra.. liked your views.. Italian Roar from 4 to 3rd gear at 2000 RPM... hounds of hell !!! .. Shift and then the take off. Moments to let loose ..

Congrats Dr .. Wish all the best for ur new car...
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:49   #20
BHPian

My response in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I dont see the comparison between the GTX (being a petrol) and Cruze (being a diesel) with its turbo lag in lower rpms . could be the turbo lag is influencing your opinion thats probably the reason why you feel the GTX is better car to drive than the GTX.My comparison of the car was in its powerband. The Cruze is faster and stops better but thats about it.

What matters most is to judge the cruze on where it is meant to deliver and thats above 2000rpm and evaluate if the handling/behaviour compared to the power it unleashes . Will need to look in terms of its road hugging capablities at higher speeds, handling understeer/oversteer, steering feedback, the suspension setup, and overall how safe and pleasurable it is to drive this car.The Cruze is definitely more powerful and may hug the road better but as far as handling/steering feedback/suspension setup is concerned it no way compares to the GTX. The Cruze is definitely a safer car but pleasurable to drive it surely is not in comparison to the GTX

I havent driven the GTX or the cruze so i might be entirely wrong but its Just my opinion. What is it that you find specifically in the GTX that makes driving more pleasureable, is it quick response that you get from the engine, then there seems to be no point comparing this against the diesel for that matter any other diesel. Please correct me if i am wrong here.I specifically do not know whats in the GTX that makes driving it more pleasurable. The Cruze engine is more responsive to throttle inputs after 2000rpm and thats the rpm I test drove it at but the car just does not become part of your brains extension like the GTX does. Its a hot hatch built for the third world nations but they got something so right in the car that it beats the newer Punto which is built for the developed nations. The GTX/S10 has a life of its own and especially so after seeing TRANSFORMERS the movie. I am aged 43 now and thinking such kiddish thoughts must give you an insight as to how good the GTX is. After I test drive other cars I feel so angry at the FIAT company for the pathetic way in which they run the company. If MBA guys who have a Palio run the FIAT operations in India the car would have had roaring sales. Alas! Why rue over incompetent people who do not know about the gem they have in their stable. Sometimes I really wonder as to who in Italy decides on who is to be employed in India. They have had such a long innings in India and still they have not got their spare parts division in order. I can get original parts imported from Brazil faster than I can get it from TATA/FIAT combine.
Ravveendra has put it so well in his post. There are faster cars and there are cars that stop better and corner better but no car manufactured in India becomes an extension of oneself other than the GTX/S10. Period.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 22nd October 2009 at 22:54.
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:16   #21
BHPian

Base model BMW 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
@ravveendrra: +1000

But your words have got me thinking: topping the GTX experience is likely to burn a huge hole in my pocket. So I plan never to replace the GTX, but buy another vehicle as a 'support car'.
To top the GTX experience I have more or less come to the conclusion after test driving majority of the cars made in India including the Q7 which my junior colleague drives to college that the hole in the pocket would have to be big enough to accommodate at the very minimum a BMW 3 series or an Audi A4 petrol. If you guys are wondering; the Q7 is a yawn even though its faster. Lets see how the POLO 1.6 compares when its released here. The Punto could not match up to the GTX so I doubt the POLO will but you never know.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 22nd October 2009 at 23:17.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
@drpullockaran: you don't sound too happy with the purchase.

I think the Laura TSI could be a spiritual successor to the GTX. Much faster. Better built. Or if you're scared of the A.S.S., maybe a Corolla/Civic/Cedia?

Why live with the lag?
+1 to this.
Dont plonk in your hard earned $$$$ in something you are not entirely happy with (since you are buying new).
Some 'compromises' are okay if you look at used cars, but a new car should tick 'all the boxes' of your expecations, for something coming at like 12-13 Lacs.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:53   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Raveendra and Drpullockaran

Dr your soon to be owned cruz is a manual, and the Laura that Raveendra is talking about may or may not be an Auto. But the fatique factor would be less in an auto to start of, so if raveendars car is an auto that explains the fatigue factor.

Also can understand the problem that you face with the Cruz - the solution to this is what is called the "Sprint Booster" - not a remap - though that too will help. It will ensure, the car remains closer to the power band range most of the time and the lag would be reduced, also the extent to which the accelerator needs to be depressed to get it upto the power band (as in time) would also be reduced with the sprint booster. The fuel effeciency will take a hit, but what the heck - it is a diesel anyways.

The Cruz and Laura features and creature comforts will (after you get used to it ensure that you do not use the GTX that much). Inspite of that considering the nominal anount that you will get for the GTX, would recommend that you keep that car as well, if it is a company car presently you could avoid tranferring it to you name though you may finish the fomalities on the company side.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

The Cruz and Laura features and creature comforts will (after you get used to it ensure that you do not use the GTX that much).
That's for sure. The creature comforts of the modern day vehicles will have you spoilt soon.

However, I still drive my GTX over the gizmoed Xylo. PS, PW, CL and the aircon are the most essential features and I am glad the Palio has them.

As Raveendra mentions and giving it a thought I understand what he actually means when the driver and the car become one.

The Cruze is quite a capable car cosindering the two threads that i have read here.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
As Raveendra mentions and giving it a thought I understand what he actually means when the driver and the car become one.

101% indeed !. Though I have a 1.2 but I know what it feels when I drive it. I need to be reminded by my wife that I am rash.

Thats the reason why I feel quite insecured while driving it alone coz only thru my wife I know that I am rash.

She might be right since I feel that overatking becomes irresistible coz every second u can feel its power and the steering confidence feels like a kid holding a thali, rotating it, screaming zoo-zoooo and day-dreaming of a race track ;-) (I sometime happen to do that while driving alone :-D).

Man I am waiting for 5.30 PM ;-) ..
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:00   #26
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase, drpullockaran. Wish you many happy miles with the Cruze.

So much has been said about the Palio, and it is sad to know that you will have to let the GTX go. On the flip side, you will make some guy very very happy. As Ravvs said, do let us know when you put it on the block. Owning and driving the Palio is a special experience, an emotional extravaganza- right from exhiliration on depressing the right pedal, to frustration at service, from smug satisfaction on closing the door, to shocked incredulity at the fuel needle's movement, from pride at looking in the RVM at those left behind to fright at braking in a panic- the Palio owners experience it all with their ride. That partially explains why it becomes a part of you.

Be that as it may, however, I am sure the Cruze will find it's own niche in your heart. Not the one occupied by the GTX, but a different appeal. Cheers....
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:49   #27
BHPian

DOC,

You said right, just waiting for the Linea Tjet patiently as a right replacement to my palio.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

dr:There is no necessary to part GTX, as it is more toxic than Cruze.
Kindly park the Indica in a safe place & njoy driving it at least once in a blue moon

Last edited by Ramsagar : 23rd October 2009 at 16:26.
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am not joking when I say that with the GTX the driver and the car merge into one like a humanoid and the car does things as if connected directly to neurons in the brain.

I will rue the day when I sell of the GTX knowing fully well that an extension of my body is being sold off to another lucky customer.
I once happened to be driving right behind Dr.Sunil in a car train, in one of our Kerala meets. Just watching the car and driver negotiate the winding roads was a sight in itself. Super smooth.

Everytime he stepped out of the car, he had that big smile of contentment. I think the good doctor finds his peace driving his beloved GTX!
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:21   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Bravo, Ravveendrra, great conclusion, even 1.2 I was driving was very good in most of the departments ....
I honestly don't think that the 1.2 (and the 1.1) Palio come even REMOTELY close to the 1.6 GTX/S 10 from the 'driver & car becoming one feeling' perspective that Doc is talking about.

To say that one 'felt' the same FTD factor as one would in a GTX is stretching it a bit toooooooo faaarrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
101% indeed !. Though I have a 1.2 but I know what it feels when I drive it. ...
.. overatking becomes irresistible coz every second u can feel its power ..
With a Palio 1.2? With that much weight and some ~65 odd BHP.!!! You sure or is it what you have mentioned below?

Quote:
...kid holding a thali, rotating it, screaming zoo-zoooo and day-dreaming of a race track ;-) ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks